PDA

View Full Version : Harry Morgan, Colonel Potter on M*A*S*H, Dies at 96

savafan
12-07-2011, 07:32 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/arts/television/harry-morgan-mash-and-dragnet-actor-dies-at-96.html?_r=2&smid=tw-nytimes&seid=auto

96 is a long life. RIP

SunDeck
12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Horse Hockey!
He had a tough role, replacing Maclean Stevenson, but did so admirably. However, I always thought his best role on MASH was when he played the nutjob general.

marcshoe
12-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm old. I still think of him as Bill Gannon on Dragnet. He played a ton of supporting roles as well in movies such as "Support Your Local Sheriff".

I always enjoyed him.

GAC
12-08-2011, 04:48 AM
I remember him in many older westerns from the 40s. I just watched him the The Ox-Bow Incident a couple weeks ago.

I thought his Sherman Potter character was very well played.

RIP Sherm

cumberlandreds
12-08-2011, 07:47 AM
He was a great character actor. He was really good at replacing McLean Stevenson in MASH. You wouldn't have thought that possible but he pulled it off very well. I remember him first in Dragnet so that makes me old.

R.I.P Colonel Potter

dabvu2498
12-08-2011, 09:03 AM
He was also great as the judge in Inherit the Wind.

Hoosier Red
12-08-2011, 01:00 PM
He was a great character actor. He was really good at replacing McLean Stevenson in MASH. You wouldn't have thought that possible but he pulled it off very well. I remember him first in Dragnet so that makes me old.

R.I.P Colonel Potter

I'm too young to have seen MASH on its original run, but I always liked his character better than the guy he replaced. I find that I'm very much unlike most fans of the show in that I found the show more interesting when they replaced Frank Burns and Henry Blake with Winchester and Potter.

The show focus became much deeper and more nuanced, as opposed to just being about ways to make the jerk look bad.