PDA

View Full Version : Pujols to the Angels!

izzy's dad
12-08-2011, 11:17 AM
According to Buster Olney 10 years 250-260 million. WOW!

Jim
12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I'd rather the Cards waste that much money on him... Pujols has plenty of gas left in the tank, but I expect a significant decline over the next few years. Would be awesome if the Cards dedicate a significant chunk of payroll to someone past their prime.

dMaus14
12-08-2011, 11:27 AM
I think a couple weeks back in one of the threads I suggested trading Votto to the Angels for Erick Aybar, Ervin Santana and a prospect or two. I was basically told there's no way in hell because they have two 1B already and DH is filled as well. Well looks like the Angels will be acquiring their third 1B only to flip one of them, I'm assuming, to the Rays for pitching.

brm7675
12-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Wonder if the Cards will now go after Prince...

brad1176
12-08-2011, 11:58 AM
The Cards claim that they won't go after Prince, they'll just move Berkman to first and Craig to right.

redsfanmia
12-08-2011, 12:02 PM
The Cards claim that they won't go after Prince, they'll just move Berkman to first and Craig to right.

And probably get a good solid pitcher or two and still win the division.

brad1176
12-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Yep, they'll still be tough to beat.

Jim
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Seems it's more or less official... Pujols to the Angels: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111208&content_id=26127586&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Red Raindog
12-08-2011, 12:15 PM
So it was certainly about the money -- or it was pretty flipping high on his list --- wow -- I think that is insane

brad1176
12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Pujols gets put into another high powered offense (the Angels ranked tenth in the AL last year) with a rotation that now consists of CJ Wilson, Jared Weaver, Ervin Santana, and Dan Haren. Wow.

Jim
12-08-2011, 12:18 PM
This is probably the worst scenario I could imagine... Cards don't get stuck with a bad contract, Cubs don't get stuck with a bad contract, Miami doesn't get stuck with a bad contract, Angels get an MVP to beat the snot out of the NL in the All-Star game. QQ

BLark = HOF
12-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Now CJ Wilson went to LAA as well. WOW.

realreds1
12-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Jon Heyman on Twitter suggests that one of the reasons why the Angels made the big play for Pujols was to bolster their new tv deal. If true, that will certainly help pay for the haul they acquired this morning:

#angels new tv deal is the key, insiders say. may get $150M per. had been getting only $50M

Stray
12-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Always a good day when we get him out of the division. Good deal.

dMaus14
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
It's being reported that they could flip Trumbo to the A's for Bailey. Another bad sign for the Redlegs!

HalKing
12-08-2011, 12:34 PM
It's being reported that they could flip Trumbo to the A's for Bailey. Another bad sign for the Redlegs!

I can't agree that this is bad for the Reds. Bailey isn't worth Alonso, which is what the A's asked in return for him. Reds win this one.

LegallyMinded
12-08-2011, 12:39 PM

Has Billy Beane looked at Trumbo's On Base Percentage? He may have power, but he's not exactly a prototypical moneyball player.

That being said, I'd rather see the Reds deal for a starter than a reliever, so if Bailey does end up in LA, I don't believe it would be a great loss.

dMaus14
12-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Well I wasn't implying that they loss by not trading Alonso for Bailey. I was implying that cheap back end RP or CL is all but dried up! So we need SP and a CL and have yet to get either yet all possible solutions are disappearing or cost to much either financially or prospect wise.

Krawhitham
12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I'd rather the Cards waste that much money on him... Pujols has plenty of gas left in the tank, but I expect a significant decline over the next few years. Would be awesome if the Cards dedicate a significant chunk of payroll to someone past their prime.

True but the Reds have such a small window to win, If they a WS it will lead to more money and a bigger window. With Pujols gone the Reds stand a much better chance to extend the window

The Reds went 15 years between playoff appearances, and it has been 21 years since they won a WS and it was a 14 year gap before that.

Red in Atl
12-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Crazy! Baseball is a fools paradise for owners.

Pujols has 4-5 years left as a top tier player if that. The rest of that money would be much better spent in the years to come. But that's the Angels problem.

Here's to further opening up the NL Central to be much more competitive for the Bucs and Reds...

:beerme:

Krawhitham
12-08-2011, 12:53 PM

They just lost 13% of their offense

bounty37h
12-08-2011, 01:03 PM
F'in ridiculous what contracts are being given now. At some poiunt its going to outprice the fans from being able to go-even with tv, stadium, sponsor deals etc...

Jharb74
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
Hobby Lobby just announced a sale on jersey frames. Pujols St. Louis jerseys just became vintage and throwback.

TheBigLebowski
12-08-2011, 01:11 PM
I love it. Farther away he is from the NL Central, the better.

Newport Red
12-08-2011, 01:20 PM
It would have been nice to see him become a drag on St. Louis during the second half of the contract.

The Angels are taking a risk in the post steroid era.

LegallyMinded
12-08-2011, 01:26 PM
F'in ridiculous what contracts are being given now. At some poiunt its going to outprice the fans from being able to go-even with tv, stadium, sponsor deals etc...

Given the circumstances and the context, 10 years/250 million doesn't seem too extreme to me. That gives the best player in baseball an average annual salary of 25 million, which is still substantially less than what A-Rod makes, is on par with what CC Sabathia pulls in, and is actually less than what Vernon Wells made this year. Given those facts, Pujols's new deal almost seems like a retreat from the exuberant expenditures of the early 2000s to a (very slightly) more restrained level of spending.

dMaus14
12-08-2011, 01:45 PM
To me this signing doesn't exploit the stupidity of money given to those with little validity. Arroyo's 3 year/$35M is one of those contracts; Rios 7 year/$69M along with Zito, Dunn, Lackey, Wells, Werth, Crawford, Figgins are bad contracts. Pujols for 11 years has proven that he is that good. Not one guy in the contracts I named proved for more than 2 years they were worth it (except Zito but he just flatlined). Giving more than $15M to a pitcher to me is completely idiotic because of the greater risk of injury and the amound of effect they have on a game (30-36 games out of 162 game season). Position players are worth more because of the opportunites to change a game. Pujols is a game changer! Will he be 5-6 years down the road I don't know but sometimes you have to over pay. Adam Dunn is not a game changer and never has been. Vernon Wells never, Alex Rios never, Jason Werth never, Chone Figgins never! Carl Crawford is but you can't risk 7 years on speed because it can fade away. I think what CJ Wilson and Jered Weaver signed for are perfect contracts for an "Ace" to make. 5 years at $15M (maybe upt $17M but no more) a year is a lot of money but it doesn't handicap a team if he gets hurt.

To me, Joey Votto is worth $22M a year. But we can't afford it. I will tell you what I wouldn't mind doing! I wouldn't mind trading him to get good return then trying to sign him at Free Agency!

Krawhitham
12-08-2011, 01:55 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/BNightengale/status/144834441947258880

The Miami #Marlins actually outbid the #Angels for Pujols,offering 10-year, $275 million deal, sources confirm. Story to come.

Krawhitham
12-08-2011, 02:00 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/marlins-were-high-bidders-for-pujols-wilson.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

With $191MM committed to Jose Reyes, Mark Buehrle, and Heath Bell, Marlins fans can't complain about their offseason so far. Only one of the 5,020 entrants in MLBTR's free agent prediction contest, Matthew Lazear, correctly guessed in November that the Marlins would sign all three. However, it's interesting to note that the Marlins also made the highest bids on top free agents Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson, who ultimately went to the Angels today.

Pujols received ten years and around $255MM from the Angels, but Bob Nightengale of USA Today says the Marlins offered ten years and $275MM. He says that with incentives and Florida's lack of a state income tax, the deal could have been worth nearly $300MM.

Wilson signed a five-year, $77.5MM deal with the Halos, but agent Bob Garber told Ken Rosenthal Wilson could "easily" have gotten $100MM, and the Marlins "would not let it go." Said Wilson: "If it was about the money, I'd be a Florida Marlin."

Jr's Boy
12-08-2011, 02:56 PM
It's a business,pure and simple.No one in their right mind would turn down $250 million to hit a ball with a bat.

texasdave
12-08-2011, 04:15 PM
Does the old proverb "Spend money to make money" ring a bell here?

HalKing
12-08-2011, 06:03 PM
In my mind its pretty difficult to get too terribly excited about Pujols signing with the Angels. Besides the obvious fact that the Reds won't have to face him numerous, numerous times... You can figure that the Cardinals are not going to sit idly by and let that cash earmarked for Albert go unspent. I'd say they'll land a proven closer, possibly upgrade their rotation and go hard after Jimmy Rollins. In other words, they are still more than likely the team to beat in this division. Worse than that, once Prince Fielder signs a mega-bucks contract with the Orioles, Marlins or Cubs then I would say you can start counting the days until Votto is gone. No way we can afford him. Not that Walt is going to get off his ass and make any trades anyway, but he sure as hell needs to take Alonso off the block... he'll be needed at 1B by 2014 at the latest. He can play a mediocre to decent LF until then I would say.

foxfire123
12-09-2011, 11:46 PM
So, is the claim that the Angels became players for Puhols in just the past few days a load of bull hockey? According to someone who works for the Cardinals, Deidre Puhols has been house shopping in Cali for 2 weeks......

texasdave
12-10-2011, 02:17 AM
St. Louis Church Sending Albert Pujols Jerseys To Needy People In Los Angeles.

http://tracking.si.com/2011/12/10/st-louis-church-sending-albert-pujols-jerseys-to-needy-people-in-los-angeles/

:lol:

LegallyMinded
12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
So much for spending some of their newly freed payroll on Rollins. The Cards signed (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/cardinals-furcal-agree-to-two-year-deal.html) Rafael Furcal to a two year deal today.

In a separate piece, I saw the Cards did not intend to reduce their payroll despite Pujols leaving. With shortstop now filled, I wonder if they'll be looking to bring back Edwin Jackson, or if they might make a bid for Carlos Beltran, given Allen Craig's recent surgery.

Razzle
12-10-2011, 09:22 PM
So much for spending some of their newly freed payroll on Rollins. The Cards signed (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/cardinals-furcal-agree-to-two-year-deal.html) Rafael Furcal to a two year deal today.

In a separate piece, I saw the Cards did not intend to reduce their payroll despite Pujols leaving. With shortstop now filled, I wonder if they'll be looking to bring back Edwin Jackson, or if they might make a bid for Carlos Beltran, given Allen Craig's recent surgery.

I can't see them signing Jackson as they already have Carpenter, Wainwright, Lohse, Garcia, and Westbrook locked in, plus guys like Lynn who can spot start and Shelby Miller who could be up in September. On the other hand, Beltran does make a lot of sense with Craig out.

dMaus14
12-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Why wouldn't the Cardinals try to overbid for Rollins? Is he not better than Furcal in almost every facet of the game? Plus, he would provide more production offensively after the loss of Pujols!

LegallyMinded
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Why wouldn't the Cardinals try to overbid for Rollins? Is he not better than Furcal in almost every facet of the game? Plus, he would provide more production offensively after the loss of Pujols!

I also find it a bit puzzling they weren't more interested in Rollins, but then, Rollins was looking for a 5 year deal. Perhaps they weren't willing to assume the risk of signing a 33-year old SS for such a long time? Or they might think Furcal's relative resurgence in St. Louis last year is real. He did, after all, have a pretty miserable BABIP during his last year and a half in LA, so perhaps the Cards expect him to be more productive than he was with the Dodgers.

Of course, maybe it's just spite: Rollins is represented by Dan Lozano, so maybe the Cards were just too irked by the Pujols decision to bother negotiating with him about Rollins. :)

dMaus14
12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't feel bad for the Cardinals losing Pujols with that offer (other than me being a Reds fan) because for the past 5 years the Cardinals (and the rest of baseball) said he may be if not already the best RH hitter in all of baseball and he wanted to be paid as one. 10 years / $210M makes him the 3rd highest paid 1B in the MLB behind Teixeira and Howard (AAV). Cabrera and Helton haven't done as much as Pujols and they make/made slightly less than $21M. Yes it was about $$ but that $$ showed how much the Cardinals should've respected Prince Albert.

LegallyMinded
12-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Does the old proverb "Spend money to make money" ring a bell here?

Dave Cameron wrote an article (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/big-ticket-signings-dont-drive-attendance/) the other day arguing the proverb might not be true when it comes to big signings and attendance for major league teams. It wasn't exactly exhaustively researched, though, and I think his example using Griffey is a poor one, since he doesn't account for the injury factor.

There's also the related argument that even if people don't turn out to watch a star player, they do turn out for a winning club, and high-priced players often lead to more wins. Either way, I'm interested to see what happens with the Angels' attendance this year. Their per game average has declined every year since 2006: Can Pujols stop the slide?