PDA

View Full Version : All I want for Christmas is a Closer

powersackers
12-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Does approaching the Holidays w/o a closer bother any of you?

Nathan, Papelbon, Bell, Broxton and maybe some others have signed.

The pool remaining actually is probably topped by Cordero. Closer by committee seems to be the path we are on.

brad1176
12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Not really, the closer role is one that I personally feel is overated. The Cards had no closer and they won the WS. I still like the idea of giving Lecure a shot at it, he's got the moustache for it!

KOBasinger
12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Not really, the closer role is one that I personally feel is overated. The Cards had no closer and they won the WS. I still like the idea of giving Lecure a shot at it, he's got the moustache for it!

LeCure doesn't really fit a closer's role. I'd rather have somebody like Homer up in the 9th. We all know that's not going to happen though.

redsfanmia
12-12-2011, 11:43 AM
LeCure doesn't really fit a closer's role. I'd rather have somebody like Homer up in the 9th. We all know that's not going to happen though.

It takes Homer too long to warm up so he is out, he has the stuff though. I think Bronson would be a good fit but I dont think that is going to happen. I would like to see them just go with Bray. I dont think that the closer role is all that important.

izzy's dad
12-12-2011, 01:24 PM
I would rather have an upgrade in the rotation for Christmas.

LegallyMinded
12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
Regarding a closer, I hadn't seen this (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111206&content_id=26111040&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb) story until this morning:

There is a chance the Reds could take a look at free-agent reliever Joel Zumaya, who is trying to bounce back from two right elbow surgeries. Zumaya, who was once a hard-throwing setup man for the Tigers, is scheduled to throw for interested clubs' scouts on Dec. 14 in Houston.

"We have not discussed that yet. He's been hurt so much," Jocketty said. "We may send someone. We've been following everyone that's been throwing this offseason."

If the workout goes well, he could be an interesting low-cost, low-risk signing. I wouldn't expect him to stay healthy all year, but it would be fun having both Chapman and Zumaya in the pen at the same time.

powersackers
12-14-2011, 03:20 AM
I think many of those that responded and those that have not are vastly underestimating this need.

I went to Pittsburgh last year and watched them bring on Joel Hanrahan to flashing scoreboard lights throughout the stadium, loud music and excitement. He nailed down the win and it was electrifying. And what about Trevor Hoffman "Hells Bells"? Anyone else remember it? Trevor Hoffman's Entrance to Hells Bells - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3QN8dZxFYM) .

Watching Cordero run out there the past few years was nothing of the sort, yet he was effective most of the time. Someone has to pitch the ninth inning in today's style of play.

We need a closer, and sadly they are all gone.

texasdave
12-14-2011, 08:19 AM
Interest in free agent closer Francisco Cordero has slowed down, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (on Twitter). His market could hinge on how clubs fill their other roster holes.

The return of Coco. I can see it now.

brad1176
12-14-2011, 08:31 AM
The return of Coco. I can see it now.

Ugh, please don't do it Walt....

LegallyMinded
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I think many of those that responded and those that have not are vastly underestimating this need.

I went to Pittsburgh last year and watched them bring on Joel Hanrahan to flashing scoreboard lights throughout the stadium, loud music and excitement. He nailed down the win and it was electrifying.

I understand what you're saying about a good closer being exciting to see, but is that any reason to spend a significant amount of money on acquiring a closer? I think your example of Joel Hanrahan is pretty telling: He had never been a ML closer before last year, and yet when given the chance to close, he became, as you described, a valuable and exciting part of his team. The Reds could certainly pull off a similar move by giving Boxberger or Masset the chance to close, and could do so without spending millions of dollars or loads of talent in a FA signing or trade.

Outlaw133
12-14-2011, 12:08 PM
Arredondo and LeCure are both capable of closing. As you said, Coco is the best still available. Given his expected contract, I'd go another route.

powersackers
12-16-2011, 02:00 PM
I called into MLB Radio yesterday and asked this same question to Todd Hollandsworth. He feels waiting until January will net the Reds a closer and one at a better price. He stated the Phillies overspent on Papelbon, and then shortly afterwards the Marlins got a steal on Heath Bell - and that will drive the rest of the crops price lower as time goes on.

Outlaw133
12-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Given the current roster, I'd use LeCure and Arredondo as closers. Arredondo has better "stuff" and some experience. LeCure was often brought in to snuff out mid-game rallies. C+ stuff, A+ attitude.

LegallyMinded
12-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Given the current roster, I'd use LeCure and Arredondo as closers. Arredondo has better "stuff" and some experience. LeCure was often brought in to snuff out mid-game rallies. C+ stuff, A+ attitude.

LeCure as a closer sounds very appealing. He actually struck out more batters per 9 than Arredondo last year, so if there is a gap in their "stuff," I wouldn't say it's a big one. Also, LeCure showed much better control than Arredondo, and also had the best xFIP of any Reds pitcher last season. I'd say he's certainly earned a shot at closing next year.

KOBasinger
12-18-2011, 09:58 AM

I went to Pittsburgh last year and watched them bring on Joel Hanrahan to flashing scoreboard lights throughout the stadium, loud music and excitement. He nailed down the win and it was electrifying. And what about Trevor Hoffman "Hells Bells"? Anyone else remember it? Trevor Hoffman's Entrance to Hells Bells - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3QN8dZxFYM) .

Watching Cordero run out there the past few years was nothing of the sort, yet he was effective most of the time. Someone has to pitch the ninth inning in today's style of play.

We need a closer, and sadly they are all gone.

You ever been to the Reds games? He comes out to Enter Sandman ;)

Crumbley
12-18-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm not overly bothered by it. Boxberger was my choice but that's out the window now. I don't think the door is closed on Coco returning.

powersackers
12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
You ever been to the Reds games? He comes out to Enter Sandman ;)

Maybe they need to turn the music up then, because I couldn't hear it over the sound of me biting my nails. :)

Red Raindog
12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
LeCure as a closer sounds very appealing. He actually struck out more batters per 9 than Arredondo last year, so if there is a gap in their "stuff," I wouldn't say it's a big one. Also, LeCure showed much better control than Arredondo, and also had the best xFIP of any Reds pitcher last season. I'd say he's certainly earned a shot at closing next year.

+1

goreds2
12-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I have a thread started about Walt being on MLB Radio. He said, they are in talks with Cordero and if something does not happen by the end of holidays, they will be looking to trade for someone.