PDA

View Full Version : Why target Gio?

UPRedsFan
12-16-2011, 11:52 PM
I'm not a stat head admittedly, but just comparing WHIP. At 1.3+ Gio's WHIP is worse than both Bailey and Leake.

I realize he's in the AL and that might inflate a little, but still what about Gio makes anyone think this would be a good move? He would have been our 4th best starter last year based on WHIP. And in GABP some of those hits would have ended up over the wall.

dMaus14
12-16-2011, 11:59 PM
THANK YOU! What I don't quit understand is he went 16-12 yet only had a 3.5 WAR. Should that not be a telling sign that if you put him in hitter's paradise that is GABP he might get shell shocked? Especially when Beane is asking for the moon!

Jcmoney1010
12-17-2011, 02:17 AM
I think part of the appeal is the fact that he is 26 and has been consistently improving ( in most categories). His ERA keeps going down, His wins keep going up, strike outs keep going up, and he has thrown 200+ innings each of the last two years. His WHIP is a little high, and he did lead the AL in walks last year, but if you could manage to make the deal without giving up too much, then it could turn out to be a win.

LegallyMinded
12-17-2011, 07:53 AM
I think part of the appeal is the fact that he is 26 and has been consistently improving ( in most categories). His ERA keeps going down, His wins keep going up, strike outs keep going up, and he has thrown 200+ innings each of the last two years. His WHIP is a little high, and he did lead the AL in walks last year, but if you could manage to make the deal without giving up too much, then it could turn out to be a win.

Very well said. Gio's got a nice, shiny ERA that obscures some of his problems like the high walk rate, and his ability to eat innings makes him more appealing for teams-- like the Reds-- that have had injury issues in the rotation. In that respect, he reminds me of Joe Saunders, and I hope the Reds don't see Saunders as a fallback if a trade for Gio doesn't work out.

Also, I think the relatively thin pitching market has driven up interest. With Wilson and Buerhle off the FA board, teams are essentially looking at spending 30 million+ on Edwin Jackson, or potentially getting similar production from a trade target like Gio.

FireDusty
12-17-2011, 12:26 PM
If we could just give this young corp one more year before they start breaking them up.

Most of these guys came up together or have crossed paths already.