PDA

View Full Version : Old Leatherpants say's trade a bust for Reds

AintlifeGrande
12-17-2011, 10:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7363472

Not that ole jimbo would like anything the Reds did anyway.

Compares the trade to the mlb equivalent of the Herchel Walker trade.

sdwagers
12-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Note the Nationals signed Jersey and Patriotic/DC displays in his office. Bowden does nothing other than try to bury the Reds on every chance he gets.

Quite honestly - he's lucky to have a job at ESPN after getting investigated by the Feds.

EMAW
12-17-2011, 10:12 PM
We did not trade anyone that was a lock to start in 2012, we got a solid front line starter.

drowg14
12-17-2011, 11:46 PM
Note the Nationals signed Jersey and Patriotic/DC displays in his office. Bowden does nothing other than try to bury the Reds on every chance he gets.

Quite honestly - he's lucky to have a job at ESPN after getting investigated by the Feds.

ESPN will hire just about anyone. Didn't Michael Irvin get busted for cocaine several years back, before he joined the NFL Countdown crew.

Nathan
12-18-2011, 12:58 AM
Ugh. A lot of things about his stupidity.

1.) Boxberger IS NOT a starter. Nobody around even projects him as such. Well, except for Bowdumb.

2.) The only reason he likes this trade from a Padres standpoint, is it's a rebuilding move. Thats all he knows, and he wasn't even ever really at that. (2003 anyone?)

Ugh..

Red Raindog
12-18-2011, 06:55 AM
If he hates it makes me more likely to think we robbed them

:laugh:

dunn4life
12-18-2011, 07:41 AM
This from the guy who traded a washed up Paul O`Neill for Roberto Kelly.

Hillsdale87
12-18-2011, 08:54 AM
Well I think the Padres did really well, but I'm not complaining as a Reds fan either. The Padres got two guys from the major league roster, one of whom hasn't been good since July 2008. The other guys have potential, but are unproven, and much as I would have liked Boxberger in the bullpen this year, I'm not going to be too upset over losing a closer. I think the Reds overpaid, but they overpaid with guys that had limited value to the major league roster. Alonso and Grandal were blocked at their natural positions. Grandal could only play catcher of 1st, so he was never going to be in a Reds uniform. And they got back a TOR starter under control for 4 years. So I think this trade dramatically improves the major league roster.

Nathan
12-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Well I think the Padres did really well, but I'm not complaining as a Reds fan either. The Padres got two guys from the major league roster, one of whom hasn't been good since July 2008. The other guys have potential, but are unproven, and much as I would have liked Boxberger in the bullpen this year, I'm not going to be too upset over losing a closer. I think the Reds overpaid, but they overpaid with guys that had limited value to the major league roster. Alonso and Grandal were blocked at their natural positions. Grandal could only play catcher of 1st, so he was never going to be in a Reds uniform. And they got back a TOR starter under control for 4 years. So I think this trade dramatically improves the major league roster.

I'm pretty sure anyone who looks at the whole picture would see this. I'm sure that's why Jocketty included those players as opposed to say, Mes or Cozart. The ONLY player that really had a chance of providing any sort of value to the Reds was Boxberger, and he's a relief pitcher. (Well, maybe Alonso in a couple years, but why waste his prime years sitting on the bench?)

Stray
12-18-2011, 12:18 PM
With his long history of success as a MLB GM I take his opinion very seriously.

bigredmechanism
12-18-2011, 12:41 PM
With his long history of success as a MLB GM I take his opinion very seriously.

Lol.

http://memegenerator.net/cache/instances/400x/11/12101/12392025.jpg

Ohioballplayer
12-18-2011, 02:08 PM
I hate to say this, but we paid way too muchfor Latos, I like him, and think he is an awesome pitcher, but I don't think Volquuez was done, Yonder is going to be a stud and Votto might not even sign with the Reds in a few years.

OGB
12-18-2011, 06:26 PM
I just can't fathom people injecting Votto's future signability into the equation as a cause for dislike here. He is signed for three more years. If he were to walk at that time, Alonso would be going on 29 years old. If he doesn't resign, there will be money in the budget to sign another talented player. Also, in the next 3 seasons, who is to say the Reds don't draft another college firstbaseman who will be ready for the majors after a year or two?

If your concern is Votto leaving, what is your answer to that concern? Trade him, put Alonso at first and then worry about extending Alonso in a few years? Play Alonso in LF and if Votto walks in 3 years, move him to first base and encounter the exact same issue of wondering if you can resign him?

R_Webb18
12-18-2011, 06:28 PM
votto has 2 yrs

Outlaw133
12-18-2011, 08:34 PM
Lots of "coulds", "shoulds" and "somedays" in his statement. You usually only hear that many qualifiers during discussions about UFOs and Bigfoot.

goreds2
12-23-2011, 10:33 PM
I may not agree with everything he says but Bowden and Stern-Oh are the best show on MLB Network Radio.

Inside Pitch
Weekdays 2 pm - 6 pm ET, Saturdays 10 am - 1 pm ET
Brush back the latest rumors from around the league with Casey Stern and Jim Bowden. Timely guests and your phone calls are part of the mix. Get in the game by calling 866-MLB-ONXM.

http://www.siriusxm.com/mlbnetworkradio

Moosie52
12-23-2011, 11:06 PM
Jimbo would probably know a bust when he sees one.

texasdave
12-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Old Leatherpants was a bust for the Reds.

dMaus14
12-24-2011, 03:07 AM
My four favorite Bowden trades:

1) Nov. 3, 1992: Paul O'Neill and Joe DeBerry traded to the Yankees for Robero Kelly.

2) Dec. 26, 1995: David Wells traded to the Orioles for Curtis Goodwin and Trovin Valdez.

3) Nov. 10, 1998: Bret Boone and Mike Remlinger traded to the Braves for Denny Naegle, Rob Bell and Michael Tucker.

4) Nov. 11, 1998: Paul Konerko traded to the White Sox for Mike Cameron.

** Favorite story is the Jeff Shaw trade where they had a "gentlemen's agreement" that he would sign for less if Bowden wouldnt trade him and 3 months later he was traded to the Dodgers.

In 10 seasons he managed to put a winning product on the field 4x (going to the playoffs once) with one time being the 1994 strike season. He seemed to like status quo because from all of his trades he made they seemed to be either prospects for prospects or he filled holes while making holes at other positions.

The Rage
12-24-2011, 05:55 AM
The Reds fleeced the Padres in the Latos deal. The Cubs fleeced the Reds in the Marshall deal.

DocRed
12-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Bowden=terrible GM, a drunk, a liar and criminal

Nathan
12-25-2011, 01:24 AM
Yet, the "Natinals" won the Gio trade....

Tadasimha
12-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Yet, the "Natinals" won the Gio trade....

Bowden had nothing to do with that trade - he resigned in 09.

dMaus14
12-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Bowden had nothing to do with that trade - he resigned in 09.

I think he meant that the Nationals gave up the same package for a pitcher with fewer years of control and questionable walk rate from a pitcher friendly park that helps him out with his high walk rate and yet, Bowden said that the Nationals won the Gio trade.

Nathan
12-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I think he meant that the Nationals gave up the same package for a pitcher with fewer years of control and questionable walk rate from a pitcher friendly park that helps him out with his high walk rate and yet, Bowden said that the Nationals won the Gio trade.

:thumbup:

jfleur87
12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Stopped watching as soon as he called Boxberger a starter.

CrosleyField
12-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Bowden < World's Worse GM

How is he not in jail?

Why does anyone care what he says?

nmculbreth
12-27-2011, 11:49 PM
My four favorite Bowden trades:

1) Nov. 3, 1992: Paul O'Neill and Joe DeBerry traded to the Yankees for Robero Kelly.

2) Dec. 26, 1995: David Wells traded to the Orioles for Curtis Goodwin and Trovin Valdez.

3) Nov. 10, 1998: Bret Boone and Mike Remlinger traded to the Braves for Denny Naegle, Rob Bell and Michael Tucker.

4) Nov. 11, 1998: Paul Konerko traded to the White Sox for Mike Cameron.

** Favorite story is the Jeff Shaw trade where they had a "gentlemen's agreement" that he would sign for less if Bowden wouldnt trade him and 3 months later he was traded to the Dodgers.

In 10 seasons he managed to put a winning product on the field 4x (going to the playoffs once) with one time being the 1994 strike season. He seemed to like status quo because from all of his trades he made they seemed to be either prospects for prospects or he filled holes while making holes at other positions.

Not to pick nits but Konerko for Cameron was a great deal for the Reds. Cameron has bounced around a little bit but the guy has a career WAR of 46.7, which is about 20 wins more than Konerko. I'll take an elite defensive CF who can OPS around .800 over a good 1B any day of the week.