PDA

View Full Version : Rolen in the "two hole"

SWIndRed
12-19-2011, 04:23 PM
At this point in his career, I like Rolen batting second. He is no longer a clean up hitter but more of a gap/doubles hitter. A professional hitter who can hit deep in the count, hit the ball to right to move a runner over, etc. I know that doesn't fit when Francisco is at third, but surely Dusty can put together more than one line-up (I hope).

Is it Stubbs at the top or Phillips? I lean towards Phillips with Stubbs batting 7th or so. That still leaves a hole in the 4-spot. That is why I hope we have one more more (at least) in us. Get us a right handed bat to play LF, package Heisey in a deal if needed so we don't have a glut of outfielders.

Phillips
Rolen
Votto
LF
Bruce
Stubbs
Catcher
Cozart
Pitcher

I know it's early for line-up construction, but I just think Rolen is a good fit for the second spot in the order, more than the fourth spot.

Red in Atl
12-19-2011, 06:56 PM
I'd like to see Heisey get his shot...

Phillips
Heisey
Votto
Bruce
Rolen
Stubbs
Catcher
Cozart
Pitcher

R_Webb18
12-19-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd like to see Heisey get his shot...

Phillips
Heisey
Votto
Bruce
Devin m
Rolen
Stubbs
Cozart
Pitcher

This

UPRedsFan
12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Rolen hitting 2nd makes lots of sense. Or Hannigan is the other option there.

Heisey doesn't make enough contact to bat 2nd

LegallyMinded
12-19-2011, 10:08 PM
According to The Book (http://www.insidethebook.com/):

Your three best hitters should bat somewhere in the #1, #2 and #4 slots. Your fourth- and fifth-best hitters should occupy the #3 and #5 slots. The #1 and #2 slots will have players with more walks than those in the #4 and #5 slots. From slot #6 through #9, put the players in descending order of quality.

The question based on that, then, is whether Rolen is one of the Reds' top three hitters. If we look at 2010, the last year Rolen was healthy, you might be able to make the case that he is. Even then, though, Rolen, over the last couple years, has walked less than players like Hanigan and Stubbs, suggesting he might be more suited to the 4th or 5th spot.

Of course, this is all somewhat academic: Votto is obviously going to be in the three hole, despite what The Book says about where to put your best hitter, and so it's pretty clear Dusty won't be constructing a lineup to strictly conform to statistical analyses.

DGullett35
12-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Mabey we put Cozart in the 2 hole. seemed like he was good at making contact and could handle the bat in the limited time we got to see him. Also I'm going to wait till spring training to write stubbs off for the leadoff spot. Mabey this winter he's worked on some of his issues and comes into 2012 a new ball player(I've been doing alot of praying:))

Phillips
Cozart
Votto
LF
Bruce
Mes
Rolen(you can slide Francisco up 1 spot when he plays or keep it this way. split the LH and RH)
Stubbs

OR
Stubbs
Phillips
Votto
LF
Bruce
Mes
Rolen(I'd like to keep Mes and Cozart seperated, and Rolen is a good fit)
Cozart
^I honestly perfer this

Obviously Im banking on Walt going out and getting a power RH bat to fit into LF

nux fan
12-20-2011, 01:04 AM
rolen needs to quite, retire and take his perm,anent spot on the disabledlist

KYRedLeg
12-20-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm not crazy about the idea of Rolen batting 2nd, but it would definitely be a change of pace. I don't see him as our cleanup batter anymore, and definitely don't see him as any protection for Votto. Ideally, I would see something like this:

Phillips
Cozart
Votto
CF
Bruce
Rolen
Heisey
Mez/Hannigan
P

Package the K-Machine off to somewhere with a couple of prospects in return for a talented right-handed outfielder who realizes baseballs were meant to be hit (even if it is a bunt).

I fell in love with Heisey as a PH, where his numbers were outstanding, but I have faith in his dependability as an every day player. At least he'll put the ball in play. Rolen is still a dependable bat, full of veteran creaminess, but I'm just not sure about him in a position where production is key anymore. Let him knock a few guys over later in the lineup.

rolen needs to quite, retire and take his perm,anent spot on the disabledlist

Is there room on the list for your keyboard, too?

bigredmechanism
12-20-2011, 12:34 PM
^ Heisey Ks an awful lot, too.

jmt5887
12-20-2011, 12:40 PM
^ Heisey Ks an awful lot, too.

People don't realize that. given the same number AB's Drew had last year he'd K'd 170+ times.

LeDoux
12-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Dusty won't be constructing a lineup to strictly conform to statistical analyses.

Nice understatement. :beerme: