PDA

View Full Version : Back up SS

alett12
12-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Jocketty still says he wants a veteran back up to Cozart even though i"d personally be fine with Valakia and Frazier here are the guys left who would you choose? I'll bold my choices
Andres Blanco
Orlando Cabrera
Ronny Cedeno
Alex Cora
Renteria
Theriot
Omar Visquel
Jack Wilson

texasdave
12-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Todd Frazier works for me. But Walt and Dusty love that Veteran Creaminess. It is a waste to have a vet backup SS if Cozart is going to be the starter. His glove is good enough that he doesn't need to be pulled for a defensive replacement. So it seems more important to me to have someone with some pop off the bench (Frazier) than it does to have someone to give a strapping, young Cozart a day off now and then. Besides, Frazier can sub at probably first, second, third and both corner outfield spots. Why would they want to have a guy in the mold of Renteria who was gonna pout like a baby if he didn't get to play exclusively at short? Sorry my disdain for Edgar Renteria bled through there a little bit at the end.

R_Webb18
12-21-2011, 04:07 PM
don't we still have janish also even tho he's useless?

texasdave
12-21-2011, 04:10 PM
don't we still have janish also even tho he's useless?

I get the feeling that Janish is about Plan X. If absolutely everything else falls through. The Reds still have Paul.

jmt5887
12-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I really think Theriot will be the signing to back up Cozart. I'd rather go with valaika if it was up to me though.

texasdave
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I really think Theriot will be the signing to back up Cozart. I'd rather go with valaika if it was up to me though.

Pass on Theriot.

jmt5887
12-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Pass on Theriot.

I don't want him either but I get a feeling he's gonna be the one "Uncle Walt" signs.

The DARK
12-22-2011, 02:00 AM
Don't rule out seeing Janish again, out of pure inexpensiveness. It's ugly, but he'd be in a pure backup role. Frazier might also be working at the position, though he'd apparently be a defensive liability unlike his good defense around the rest of the infield. It would certainly save room on the 25-man.

JayBruceFan
12-22-2011, 06:43 AM
Anybody know Valaika's status coming off the torn ACL? Just asking because there haven't been any updates on him since the sesaon ended

Tadasimha
12-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Don't rule out seeing Janish again, out of pure inexpensiveness. It's ugly, but he'd be in a pure backup role. Frazier might also be working at the position, though he'd apparently be a defensive liability unlike his good defense around the rest of the infield. It would certainly save room on the 25-man.

There is no doubt that Janish is an excellent defensive backup. His bat didn't develop the way it was hoped in 2011 so being a fulltime starter is out, but as a backup, he's cheaper than a lot of other options, he's got a lot of experience and he's not going to piss and moan about playing time the way a guy who's been a regular before probably will.

Save the money for LF and use what's already in house.

DirtyBaker
12-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Janish's 2011 season didn't do him any favors if we're having this conversation. I think he'll make a fine backup, and there's enough infielders in the mix we'll have a plan C.

Stray
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
If Renteria would sign for cheap I'd bring him back. You can do a lot worse than him as your backup. Not sure if any other teams have shown interest in him or not so I dunno what's really going on there.

I'd rather it not be Janish, but I get the feeling that's what will happen.