PDA

View Full Version : Random thought about the Cardinals

cinreds21
12-23-2011, 03:54 AM
I wonder, if on some St. Louis Cardinals forum, similar to this one, two years ago, their posters fought back and forth saying not trade "x" because of Pujols' contract being up in two years and there was a "chance" he might walk. Hehe

Sorry, really random and probably a waste of a thread but I thought it was a funny correlation between Pujols and Votto and you guys would appreciate it. :) Merry Christmas.

corkedbat
12-23-2011, 07:07 AM
I wonder, if on some St. Louis Cardinals forum, similar to this one, two years ago, their posters fought back and forth saying not trade "x" because of Pujols' contract being up in two years and there was a "chance" he might walk. Hehe

Sorry, really random and probably a waste of a thread but I thought it was a funny correlation between Pujols and Votto and you guys would appreciate it. :) Merry Christmas.

Not sure if that was pointed at me, but I've nver felt that the Reds should hold back Yonder (or anyone) in fear of losing two years rom now. I've always said that the Reds FO should in no means go forward or look to the future with the dea that JV will be here beyond 2013 (if it happens? Great put don't plan like it will). I've also said that if they ever considered trading Joey, this offseason would have been the time for maxmum return.

The fact that he's still here and they've made dels to leverage him while he lasts by upgrading the talent around him is great, IMO.

And a Felice Navidad right back atcha! :) And everyone here.

traderumor
12-23-2011, 09:45 AM
The current era (including Jocketty's time) Cards have always clearly been about improving their major league product, with counting on a slew of prospects to all turn into productive, above average major leaguers all at the same time never being on the radar.

The Reds started to look like they were going to test the latter model, but now it appears that they are all about improving their current major league product.

In answer to the question, I'm sure there has been quite the debate about the day Albert turns into a pumpkin. Now they can start keeping score on who gets to say I told you so.

MikeThierry
12-23-2011, 09:59 AM

I'll tell you this, you never want to go to a Cards forum because of all the foolishness there. For a while most of the threads in most of the forums I visited were "fire TLR" or "Whitey didn't do it this way!". You are much better here. The Reds Zone is one of the smartest forums I have been on and would much rather talk about baseball here than talk to it with my fellow Cards fans in those "forums".

Vottomatic
12-23-2011, 10:05 AM
I think the Central is wide open now. Obviously, the Reds, Brewers, and Cards will battle it out.

Brewers lose Fielder permanently, and possibly Braun for a third of the season. But they still have the pitching staff, starting and bullpen, to stay in it.

Cardinals lose Pujols permanently, but are reigning world champs. Yes, they are getting old. They may also do like the Reds did after winning the division in 2010, and take a year off. Seems like players sometimes let themselves go after winning something big. What will Wainwright give them? What impact will it have losing Pujols, and will Beltran cover the loss enough?

Reds probably have the most potential for upswing as the young lineup continues to mature. But then again, that is what management hoped for in 2011 and it didn't pan out. They've actually addressed some needs this offseason and hopefully continue to do so.

I don't think the Reds are the favorites. But I do think it's wide open.

cinreds21
12-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Corkedbat, I wasn't pointing at anyone nor did I mean it as a swipe at anyone. I meant it extremely kiddingly and did not mean it in bad taste whatsoever. I promise. I just thought it was similar situations and just thought it was humorous. I did not mean to offend anyone at all by that post and I love it here.

muddie
12-23-2011, 10:29 AM
I'll tell you this, you never want to go to a Cards forum because of all the foolishness there. For a while most of the threads in most of the forums I visited were "fire TLR" or "Whitey didn't do it this way!". You are much better here. The Reds Zone is one of the smartest forums I have been on and would much rather talk about baseball here than talk to it with my fellow Cards fans in those "forums".

Back in the day, before the Reds were affiliated with the Mudcats, I used to hang out on a Cardinals forum from time to time. I never had any problems there until I made the grave mistake of supporting Jack Clark's comments that called out Mr. McGwire for his less than ethical behavior during his playing days relative to PED's or whatever acronym you want to give them. These comments were in response to McGwire's hiring as hitting coach. Herzog was also outspoken on the topic as well. Clark was soundly booed on the Cardinal Caravan stops as a result. The mentality on that board was, McGwire wasn't doing anything anyone else hadn't already done. His transgressions were the equivalent of the "greenies" players took years back. The board chimed in and accused Herzog of being a quitter. Three WS appearances and they don't like you anymore!?!?

MikeThierry
12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Back in the day, before the Reds were affiliated with the Mudcats, I used to hang out on a Cardinals forum from time to time. I never had any problems there until I made the grave mistake of supporting Jack Clark's comments that called out Mr. McGwire for his less than ethical behavior during his playing days relative to PED's or whatever acronym you want to give them. These comments were in response to McGwire's hiring as hitting coach. Herzog was also outspoken on the topic as well. Clark was soundly booed on the Cardinal Caravan stops as a result. The mentality on that board was, McGwire wasn't doing anything anyone else hadn't already done. His transgressions were the equivalent of the "greenies" players took years back. The board chimed in and accused Herzog of being a quitter. Three WS appearances and they don't like you anymore!?!?

I remember that issue. It is quite funny looking back at it all. On those boards, if you don't tow the company line, you will get yelled at. For years, I have been criticized for some of the comments I have made in some of those boards such as calling the organization cheap at times, amongst other things. Really it's amazing some of the stupidity I have ran into there. I know it's not policy to talk about other forums here but even when compared to other baseball forums non-Cardinals related, this forum continues to be at the top of the food chain as far as thought and intellectual input on a given issue. All the members here are lucky to belong to a board that actually discusses things in a civil manor.

The Operator
12-23-2011, 11:32 AM
There is also the opposite end of that spectrum on McGwire, at a forum like birdsonthebat. I've seen his name dragged through the mud many times at that place.

Strikes Out Looking
12-23-2011, 11:53 AM

But the National media says Cardinal fans are the smartest in the whole world.

MikeThierry
12-23-2011, 12:42 PM
But the National media says Cardinal fans are the smartest in the whole world.

When Jack Buck died, the whole smartest fans and best fans in baseball mantra died with him. I said this in another thread about a year ago but he set the tone of Cardinals nation. Most of Cardinals nation followed his lead as to what was right with baseball and what was considered common decency in baseball. That is out the window now.

muddie
12-23-2011, 01:31 PM
I still like to listen to Mike Shannon. We tuned in to him for the W.S.

MikeThierry
12-23-2011, 01:39 PM
I still like to listen to Mike Shannon. We tuned in to him for the W.S.

I agree there. He makes me laugh all the time. Heck, he sounds drunk most of the time, haha

muddie
12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I agree there. He makes me laugh all the time. Heck, he sounds drunk most of the time, haha

I've never said that out loud but I've always thought the same thing. He does from time to time encourage his listeners to, "pop open a frosty one."
:beerme:

MikeThierry
12-23-2011, 03:09 PM
I've never said that out loud but I've always thought the same thing. He does from time to time encourage his listeners to, "pop open a frosty one."
:beerme:

He is just a well loved guy here in St. Louis. No he isn't polished but his stories are great and you can't help but get enjoyment from his broadcasts. He isn't a Vin Scully but Mike Shannon will be missed once his days are finished in the broadcast booth.

PuffyPig
12-23-2011, 04:32 PM

I think he has more "cool frostly ones" than "ham sandwiches".

REDblooded
12-23-2011, 05:15 PM
I'd be shocked if Berkman/Beltran combine for over 183 games this season... That's just me.

IslandRed
12-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Regarding the original topic, a better comp might be the discussions on whatever passes for BrewersZone. St. Louis fans aren't used to thinking like small-market fans and most of them probably believed that in the end they'd keep Pujols, whereas I don't think Brewers fans as a whole ever believed they'd keep Fielder. Could be wrong about that.

MikeThierry
12-25-2011, 09:32 PM
Regarding the original topic, a better comp might be the discussions on whatever passes for BrewersZone. St. Louis fans aren't used to thinking like small-market fans and most of them probably believed that in the end they'd keep Pujols, whereas I don't think Brewers fans as a whole ever believed they'd keep Fielder. Could be wrong about that.

That actually is probably correct. Most Cards fans did think that we were going to keep Pujols. However, I get a sense that most of the Cards fans realized that the Cards still had limits to what they could spend and most fans were happy that the Cards didn't sign Pujols to a 10 year deal.