PDA

View Full Version : Quality Players

Alpha Zero
12-24-2011, 10:43 AM
First, let me start by saying that I liked the Latos trade but was not a fan of the Marshall deal. The Reds gave up quite a bit to get Latos, but he's under team control for four years and fills a glaring need at the top of the rotation. On the other hand, the Reds gave up Wood and two decent but not great prospects for Marshall. On principle, I'm not a fan of 3-for-1 deals for relievers, especially when the reliever is only under team control for one season.

In the end, we'll all have differing opinions on the trades, but one thing is certain. Walt has gone out and gotten two quality players who are clear upgrades over what the Reds had on the roster prior to the deals. I at least appreciate that he's using prospects to acquire top notch Major League talent even if I don't necessarily agree with the pieces included in each and every deal. I was sick of band aids and half measures, so it's refreshing to see the team go out and acquire truly great players.

Now I guess we just have to hope that the Reds have enough resources left to go out fix the problem in LF. I'm skeptical, but I've already been shocked twice so far this off season, so why not make it three times?

Nathan
12-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Would you take issue if Heisey was the everyday LFer?

Eric the Red
12-24-2011, 10:58 AM
I agree left field is a major concern. At least with the closer role, there are decent options: Cordero, Lidge, Andrew Bailey, or in house options such as Chapman or Marshall. The problem to me with left field is that there are just not many if any good options available. Cody Ross, Ryan Ludwick, Coco Crisp, Juan Pierre, Raul Ibanez, Seth Smith and Carlos Lee are available but are not worth what they would cost.

I would love to be shocked with Walt acquiring an upgrade in left field such as a Martin Prado or Carlos Quinten but I'm not sure we have the prospects without trading Hamilton to get one of them.

Eric the Red
12-24-2011, 11:09 AM

I think Heisey can be serviceable but the team will be much better if he is the 4th outfielder. I like a lot of things Heisey does but given that we already have Stubbs striking out a lot and Bruce a fair amount I don't think we can afford to have another high strikeout guy getting 400+ at bats.

Alpha Zero
12-24-2011, 02:58 PM

I think Heisey could do a decent job. With him in left, the Reds would probably have the best defensive outfield in the league. I also like Heisey's power potential, but I'm not sure that he's going to get on base enough to be an effective long term option at the position. I really like him off the bench, but I just don't think he's a starting LF on a team with serious playoff asperations.

The Reds still have some money to spend, and with the dearth of OF options remaining on the FA market, I have to wonder if Jocketty is going to make a run at Cespedes. He's a wild card for sure and I'm not really sure what to make of the hype surrounding him, but that's why Jocketty and his talent evaluators are paid the big bucks.

OGB
12-24-2011, 11:22 PM
I think Heisey can be serviceable but the team will be much better if he is the 4th outfielder. I like a lot of things Heisey does but given that we already have Stubbs striking out a lot and Bruce a fair amount I don't think we can afford to have another high strikeout guy getting 400+ at bats.

Don't forget the 40-80 games that Juan Francisco projects to play if he's on the roster and Rolen's primary backup.

DGullett35
12-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I wouldnt lose any sleep if Heisey was our everyday LF, however if that is the case then we need to sign a legitimate closer. I just dont think Marshall can thrive in that role. Hes good but I think hes best suited for a 7th and 8th inning type of role with a save opportunity every so often.

code
12-28-2011, 12:26 PM

I really, I mean REALLY, do not want to see Heisey as our everyday LFer.

jmt5887
12-28-2011, 12:34 PM
Heisey is not an everyday player. but right now we don't have a better option.