PDA

View Full Version : Christmas gifts - What did you get?

dougdirt
12-25-2011, 11:15 PM
So guys and gals, how did you do on gifts? Get anything exciting?

I wound up getting a Kindle Fire a few days ago from a friend. I have been playing around with it ever since. Once I figured out how to sideload regular Android Market apps on it, it was totally awesome.

I got an MLB hat for nearly every team in baseball from my brother (who won the entire MLB set on the radio a few months ago, but only wears like 3 and gave me the rest). He also got me a Joey Votto McFarlane figure and a Sheldon Cooper Bobblehead (The Big Bang Theory).

Wound up with some clothes from my parents, which is awesome because it means I don't have to buy them now.

GAC
12-26-2011, 09:17 AM
My wife and I don't exchange gifts at Christmas. It's always been more for the kids (two who are now adults). I got tired of buying my wife gifts and having her return them. LOL

We'll be going over to Columbus today with the kids (it's an annual thingy), to eat out, shop for those after-Christmas deals, and let the kids spend the Christmas money they got from grandparents. And if my wife and I see something we want, then we treat ourselves.

I did, this year, get my wife something I though she would like. I got her a gift certificate to a spa/salon on the recommendation of several friends..... http://www.charlespenzone.com/

Yesterday she kinda scolded me, and told me it's waste of money, and she wishes I would have checked with her first. When am I ever going to learn? LOL

Roy Tucker
12-26-2011, 01:01 PM
A six-pack of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, a box of K-cups Dark Magic coffee, and a jar of OSU Tailgate mustard (all from my kids).

A box of fat wood kindling, a liter of Woodford Reserve bourbon, Stephen King's 11/22/63, and some walking gear (from my wife, she and I have agree to keep what we spend on each other under $100).

Dom Heffner
12-26-2011, 01:19 PM
My wife got me an iPad 2. I was up until 3 in the morning toying with it.

What an incredible piece of technology.

Reds4Life
12-26-2011, 01:33 PM

I got one a few months ago as a gift from my employer, I didn't think I would use it much. I was wrong, it's replaced my laptop as my primary device. The battery life is amazing.

Dom Heffner
12-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I got one a few months ago as a gift from my employer, I didn't think I would use it much. I was wrong, it's replaced my laptop as my primary device. The battery life is amazing.

She got it used from a guy desperate to rid himself. Offered him 50% of his asking price and he eventually wore down.

I can't put it down. The screen resolution, the design...man, what a product.

dougdirt
12-26-2011, 01:59 PM

They really are awesome. Too costly for me, but if someone decided to give me one, I would use it, though I would have to cover up that silly apple logo on it. These tablets today are faster and more powerful than computers I had just a few years ago, it really is crazy.

reds1869
12-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Like GAC my wife and I don't exchange gifts any more. We spent our money on my sister's children; we love to buy things for them since we don't have kids of our own. As for new toys for myself, I used a gift of cash to buy an Amazon Kindle. I've always wanted one but never took the plunge. At $79 I couldn't resist and I absolutely love it.

Spitball
12-26-2011, 04:52 PM
I received 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I also got a gift certificates to a local comedy club and one to Cheddars. I received a variety twelve-pack of Boulevard Wheat. I was also given a towel rack to put up in the guest bathroom.

IslandRed
12-26-2011, 06:45 PM
A six-pack of Great Lakes Christmas Ale, a box of K-cups Dark Magic coffee, and a jar of OSU Tailgate mustard (all from my kids).

A box of fat wood kindling, a liter of Woodford Reserve bourbon, Stephen King's 11/22/63, and some walking gear (from my wife, she and I have agree to keep what we spend on each other under $100).

Quality.

As for me, the missus and I agreed not to exchange anything beyond stocking stuffers, since we'd splurged on a few things during the year. Officially, my Weber smoker was my Christmas present, but I've had it since early June. :beerme:

HatchMo
12-26-2011, 08:27 PM
My sister gave me a bobble head of myself lol and my parents got me a M&N 1976 joe Morgan jersey.

Outlaw133
12-26-2011, 08:29 PM
A sweater that actually fits and an invite to a major Christmas Day Italian feast. (Waddle, waddle, waddle)

RedRoser
12-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Came home from my Christmas present on Christmas Eve---an eight day, seven night family cruise to the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands aboard the Carnival Dream. Heavenly :)
It was mine and my wife's present to ourselves and to our 2 daughters.

edabbs44
12-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Kindle Fire, some pics for the somewhat barren walls of the new house, tix to see Lampanelli at The Borgata, clothes, etc. But now with 3 little ones, it's all about the kids.

Stray
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
A pretty nice watch from my gf. A new bedding set, wallet, cologne gift set, and socks from my Mom. A bottle of bourbon from my Step Dad. And my Dad sent me a gift card and a laptop bag (which I desperately needed). Couldn't have done a better job picking out the stuff myself.

15fan
12-26-2011, 10:20 PM
3 more nights of the in-laws at my house, after they were here for 4 nights over Thanksgiving.

And we have to go to their place for a couple of nights in mid-January.

:explode:

Patrick Bateman
12-27-2011, 02:56 AM
3 more nights of the in-laws at my house, after they were here for 4 nights over Thanksgiving.

And we have to go to their place for a couple of nights in mid-January.

:explode:

I hear that.

bucksfan2
12-27-2011, 11:33 AM
My parents got me and my wife a Rebel camera.

My wife got me a new phone (the older version of the iPhone), Steve Jobs biography, and a polo.

From my siblings some workout clothes.

Oh and my Christmas eve's eve party brought me a nice hangover with a fridge stocked with fewer beers.

jmt5887
12-27-2011, 11:36 AM
I got a new Phone for Christmas. a Samsung Galaxy Prevail from Boost mobile. I love it so far.

Caveat Emperor
12-27-2011, 11:43 AM
She got it used from a guy desperate to rid himself. Offered him 50% of his asking price and he eventually wore down.

I can't put it down. The screen resolution, the design...man, what a product.

I got mine back in October -- it's become my primary computing device and primary reading device as well.

TeamSelig
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Nice 80 lbs Everlast heavy bag along with a stand, 12 oz gloves, new rash guard, a couple drinking games... and from the family christmas eve party... the flu!

izzy's dad
12-27-2011, 11:52 AM
I also got the flu for Christmas. I plan on sharing with my family and co workers. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

dabvu2498
12-27-2011, 12:02 PM
A new coffee maker and enough Peet's to last me for a while. And I could not have been happier.

Oh. And Liberty Bowl tickets and sweet tickets to Grizzlies-Rockets for the night before in Memphis.

They done good buying for me.

RBA
12-27-2011, 12:07 PM
A big American Express bill. :D

cumberlandreds
12-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I was pretty much like Ralphie and Randy. I was throwing my clothes back behind me when I opened them. No toys for me.

oneupper
12-27-2011, 12:40 PM
I got one of these. Star Trek communicator keychain. Seriously.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21GR1Ao3WuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Beam me up scotty! :D

izzy's dad
12-27-2011, 12:46 PM
I got one of these. Star Trek communicator keychain. Seriously.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21GR1Ao3WuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Beam me up scotty! :D

Jealous!!!

RichRed
12-27-2011, 01:59 PM
The wife and I bought each other a house and all the expenses that go along with it. As a result, the local Lowe's had a very Merry Christmas.

VR
12-28-2011, 02:30 PM
the most powerful handgun in the world

Dom Heffner
12-28-2011, 11:50 PM
I got mine back in October -- it's become my primary computing device and primary reading device as well.

I'm trying to incorporate it as much as I can. Some of the web based software we use for the business doesn't work with it, but that doesn't keep me from using it elsewhere.

I love it so much I think my wife regrets giving it to me.

I'm just proud of her for getting one used at a steal of a price.

Redsfan320
12-29-2011, 09:00 AM
I got a Kindle Fire, new computer mouse, Skyrim, new Bible, several t-shirts, and a couple pairs of sleeping pants.

Mario-Rijo
12-29-2011, 11:33 AM
the most powerful handgun in the world

Thompson Centerfire .60 Cal?

Mario-Rijo
12-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Got some solid gifts this year.

A new blender, some Amazon cash, C.O.D MW3 (PS3), Dead Island (PS3), a nice leather carrying case for my laptop and a sweet Grey fitted Reds cap with black C and bill. Got a whole bunch of other misc. But those are the main things.

Mario-Rijo
12-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I got a Kindle Fire, new computer mouse, Skyrim, new Bible, several t-shirts, and a couple pairs of sleeping pants.

That made my Christmas when I bought it for myself when it came out. :thumbup:

VR
12-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Thompson Centerfire .60 Cal?

nah, only Clint Eastwood's version :)

dougdirt
12-29-2011, 09:09 PM
I got a Kindle Fire,

Learn to sideload apps to that thing. It makes it so much better when you can use most of the Android Market apps instead of just the Amazon.com apps. For example, I sideloaded the Time Warner Cable app and can control my DVR from anywhere. That isn't available in the Amazon marketplace. I also sideloaded Google Maps, Wordpress (to use with my website) and several other apps. The apps that I sideloaded are the ones I use the most. Not all apps work (no Skype yet, but I am waiting.... if you have a set of headphones that also has a mic built on, that does work, but skype doesn't acknowledge it at this point so when you try to make a call it hangs up since it doesn't detect the mic since it isn't built in), but a lot of them do (The Kindle Fire is based on Android 2.3, so as long as the app works for 2.3, it should work for the Fire assuming it doesn't require a mic or webcam).

cinreds21
12-30-2011, 07:26 AM
I had a pretty good Christmas. I got a handful of Blu Rays (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Pt.2, Friends with Benefits, Batman Begins, Bad Teacher, the original Star Wars trilogy, and Hangover Pt. II) I also got two video games (Uncharted 3 and Call of Duty 3 ((Rijo, get at me))

And I also recieved a few button downs, two NC State t-shirts, a new Miami Marlins and Indians jacket, khaki pants, Moneyball, and my favorite cologne.(This: http://www.fragrancex.com/images/products/SKU/big/60515M.jpg) So I am a very happy camper.

Mario-Rijo
01-01-2012, 07:35 AM
I had a pretty good Christmas. I got a handful of Blu Rays (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Pt.2, Friends with Benefits, Batman Begins, Bad Teacher, the original Star Wars trilogy, and Hangover Pt. II) I also got two video games (Uncharted 3 and Call of Duty 3 ((Rijo, get at me))

And I also recieved a few button downs, two NC State t-shirts, a new Miami Marlins and Indians jacket, khaki pants, Moneyball, and my favorite cologne.(This: http://www.fragrancex.com/images/products/SKU/big/60515M.jpg) So I am a very happy camper.

Been away from the house the past week pretty regularly so I haven't even had time to crack it open but as soon as I do (crossing my fingers for today) I will. Assuming I can keep away from Skyrim long enough to play it. Not sure if I have your gamer tag/name already or not.

Joseph
01-01-2012, 04:57 PM
An Honorable Order of Kentucky Colonels [of which I became one this year] flask, some new clothes, new hunting gear, wonderful time with family.

My wife and I got each other a trip to Chicago for the Blackhawks vs Redwings game as well which was fantastic.

TRF
01-01-2012, 07:03 PM
I looked at a Kindle Fire for my son, ended up getting him an Arnova 7 G2, for about $80 less. I've already got the standard Google market, GMail and Google talk to work on it. I'll probably get the Arnova 10 G2 for myself in the coming months. I have no idea why these shipped with Gingerbread instead of honeycomb, the tech specs on the 10 G2 match the IPad 2 for processing power. the 7 G2 is sooooo smoooooth. I tried to root it with Superoneclick, which says it did it, but it really didn't so i may do that manually.

Oh, and i got a blanket, gloves and Firefly.