PDA

View Full Version : Would you start Homer and Chapman in tandem next year?

UCBrownsfan
12-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Give Homer 5 innings, and Aroldis 4 - That's about 160 innings in a year for homer and 130 for aroldis... if either gets hurt (fairly likely) the other can jump to 6 - gives the bullpen a day off, so you could run with 6 releivers.

jmt5887
12-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Give Homer 5 innings, and Aroldis 4 - That's about 160 innings in a year for homer and 130 for aroldis... if either gets hurt (fairly likely) the other can jump to 6 - gives the bullpen a day off, so you could run with 6 releivers.

Terrible idea. right now we have 6 potential starters that we might be able to depend on this year. anyone not of this group. (Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, Latos, Chapman) is either borderline AAAA or no where near ready to pitch in MLB. if an injury occurs there will be no one to replace them. Chapman should be in Louisville at the start of the year getting his strength up ready to take over if someone get hurt.

brm7675
12-28-2011, 02:39 PM
We all need to understand we will see very little of Chapman in the show this upcoming season. He needs to spend most of the year in AAA gaining command of his pitches and working on his durability.

R_Webb18
12-28-2011, 04:04 PM
We all need to understand we will see very little of Chapman in the show this upcoming season. He needs to spend most of the year in AAA gaining command of his pitches and working on his durability.

agree. for some reason ppl seem to think he's gonna start the year with the reds.

DirtyBaker
12-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Chapman is probably better used as insurance. Wood and Volquez are gone, LeCure seems bullpen bound. Let's get Chapman stretched out for good, no more 4-5 inning outings, but getting him 7 innings at a time in AAA to be a legitimate starter in 2013. Or at the earliest, a few months into 2012 if there's an injury or if he's tearing it up in Louisville.

Inventing spots for him does Chapman and the Reds a disservice in the broader picture.

Crumbley
12-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Too video-gamey. If Homer gives up six runs through two innings, do you keep him out there anyway to hit the target?

redsfanmia
12-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Chapman should be dealt for a stud young outfielder, the Reds are too afraid to let him pitch and will never use him right so they should just deal him now.

AintlifeGrande
12-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Chapman should be dealt for a stud young outfielder, the Reds are too afraid to let him pitch and will never use him right so they should just deal him now.

Deal him or use him.That a $30 million chunk to leave in the bullpen or AAA.However doing a trade,I would want more than a young stud outfielder for a 105mph freak of nature.

UPRedsFan
12-29-2011, 11:36 PM
Agreed. Wasting a bunch of value and payroll on a minor league starter.

If Walt can trade him for a young, future star outfielder who's big league ready it might make sense to do that now. maybe Heyward and a pitching prospect from Atlanta?

LeDoux
12-29-2011, 11:58 PM
Chapman following Arroyo would be more effective- a 15 MPH difference in the fastballs.

dMaus14
12-30-2011, 01:31 AM
What about a trade for Chapman and a prospect for Carlos Quentin and Matt Thornton? Still leaves us some $$ for bench. And we now have 3-4 guys we can use for a CL: Masset, Thorton, Marshall, Arredondo!

americanoutlaw1
12-30-2011, 01:35 AM
I doubt Atlanta would be interested in a Chapman for Heyward swap as they are pitching rich and need offense. However if you were interested in trying to swing a 3 way deal, I could see this making sense... Colorado is trying to pry Jurrjens and Prado away form Atlanta and have a semi crowded outfield, and the Braves are looking for a lineup anchor. So, here is my proposal... Chapman, Jurrjens and Prado to the Rox... CarGo to the Braves... Heyward to the Reds. Cargo basically already is what the Braves hope Heyward will one day be, Colorado adds a desperately needed third baseman, and two rotation peices to pair with Chacin/De La Rosa/Pomeranz that should allow them to challenge for the NL West right now and the Reds get their left fielder for the next 4 years. Basically the Braves get the best player, the Rox get some solid pieces and a possible dynamic ace in Chapman, and the Reds get a very high upside left fielder with 4 years of control left.

Probably never happen, too many high profiles and fan favorites moving too many directions but if I were the gm of every team I think it is something I would give considerable thought to. I truly believe it makes each team better in 2012 and in the near future as well.

americanoutlaw1
12-30-2011, 01:39 AM
And I like Quinten and Thornton, I really do, but I couldn't justify trading 5 years of Chapman and his massive potential for 1 year of Quinten and also Thornton. I do think Quinten is an attainable and good target too, even though he is not my top choice for lf. I just think Chapman is way too much.

brm7675
12-30-2011, 02:11 PM
There is zero chance Chapman is traded. He is your show piece the guy who put the Reds back into the national limelight. Put him in AAA this season, let him learn nad then you have him, Cueto and Latos as your top end of your rotation for the next 3-5 years.

americanoutlaw1
12-30-2011, 04:41 PM
There is probably zero chance any of those big 3 are traded, and I said as much. But it is fun to talk about.