PDA

View Full Version : Per ORG: Are Larkin and Trammell comprable?

UCBrownsfan
12-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Saw in the ORG comparing Larkin and Trammell when it came to the hall of fame as similair players, and I didn't think I'd have to come to Larkin's defense on a Red's board, but it's not even the same ballpark as far as I'm concerned.

Offensively:
Career OPS: Larkin 815, Trammell 767
Stolen Bases: Larkin stole 143 more bases while being caught 32 less times.
Defensively: While Trammell leads Larkin 4 to 3, Larkin did have to take the NL GG title from Ozzie Smith and his 13 consecutive GGs.
OPS Frequency Distribution:

sorry not sure how to make the distribution bigger without clicking on it.
As you can see Trammell's OPS midpoint hovers around the 700 mark, while Larkin's around the 800 mark

izzy's dad
12-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I don't know much about Trammel, but I do know a bit about Larkin. One thing you have to consider is that Barry Larkin was injured an awful lot. If you add in the production that Larkin would have had in his career minus injuries I don't think that this is much of a comparison. Good point about Lark having to compete with Smith for Gold Gloves during his career, but who was Trammel competing against for his. Was the talent at shortstop similar, weaker, or stronger?

UCBrownsfan
12-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Was the talent at shortstop similar, weaker, or stronger?

Well considering Ozzie's considered the best ever.... weaker

Fernandez won 4 in the AL, then switched to the NL at 29 and never won again. Then came to the Reds and was moved to 3B for Larkin.

Crumbley
01-04-2012, 04:38 AM
I don't know much about Trammel, but I do know a bit about Larkin. One thing you have to consider is that Barry Larkin was injured an awful lot. If you add in the production that Larkin would have had in his career minus injuries I don't think that this is much of a comparison. Good point about Lark having to compete with Smith for Gold Gloves during his career, but who was Trammel competing against for his. Was the talent at shortstop similar, weaker, or stronger?
Barry had to play on that terrible Riverfront turf while Trammell got to play on grass. Have to think that played a hand in the injuries. Larkin was also robbed of a good two or three Gold Gloves that Smith was winning solely on reputation.