PDA

View Full Version : Any EPL fans here?

5TimeWSChamps
12-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Big Arsenal fan here, eondering if any other RZ Faithful follow the beautiful game overseas

BuckeyeRed27
12-30-2011, 01:07 PM
A fellow Gooner!

Watching EPL on Fox Soccer or ESPN has become a typical Saturday/Sunday morning ritual for me.

I'm always curious as to how Americans came to choose which team they follow. I follow the Arsenal because my youth soccer coach was a huge fan and that was the name of my team for like 8 years before I even knew what Arsenal was. Once I got into following the EPL I had no choice. It helped that the first year I really got into it was "The Invincables" year.

Ohayou
12-30-2011, 02:52 PM
I follow Barcelona religiously, but if I'm watching the EPL I usually support Fulham for Dempsey.

NorrisHopper30
12-31-2011, 02:53 AM
GO GOONERS!! Hala Madrid!!! Screw Barca and Man U!

Ronaldo > Messi

Ohayou
12-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Child, please. Messi is already the greatest of all time and he still has about ten years of his career to go. :laugh:

The one thing that people don't give him enough credit for is his ability to pick a pass and more often than not the ones that split a defense wide open. They tend to focus on his dribbling and finishing but he has it all.

5TimeWSChamps
12-31-2011, 03:05 PM
profitable day for Arsenal.

ManU loses
Spurs draw
Chelsea loses

BuckeyeRed27
12-31-2011, 03:08 PM
profitable day for Arsenal.

ManU loses
Spurs draw
Chelsea loses

How about those Blackburn Rovers?!?

I have a serious man crush on RVP.

5TimeWSChamps
12-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Blackburn has wins over Arsenal and ManU......and are still in the drop zone.

Cant wait to watch Henry in the Arsenal kit again

5TimeWSChamps
01-01-2012, 11:57 AM
And Sunderland just beat Man City

BuckeyeRed27
01-01-2012, 12:09 PM
And Sunderland just beat Man City

Wow. Puts Arsenal 9 points back and Spurs 6 with a game in hand. Crazy weekend.

reds1869
01-01-2012, 01:44 PM
I got to tour The Emirates when I was in London right after it opened. If you ever have the opportunity to tour the place, do so. It is well worth it no matter which club you support. I have never seen facilities so spectacular.

BuckeyeRed27
01-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Awful collapse by Arsenal today. Stupid red card and couldn't hold on.

Yachtzee
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I enjoy watching the EPL on Saturdays when I can. I don't really have a favorite team, but just enjoy watching the underdog teams and teams with American players. I like seeing Chelsea and Man U lose, so the Blackburn game was fun.

Tony Cloninger
01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
I have been following Liverpool "Reds" since the 80's.

5TimeWSChamps
01-02-2012, 10:48 PM
That ref was awful today. Gervinho had a clear penalty denied, and then the garbage red on Djorou.

Ugh

Ohayou
01-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Fulham's team gets better to watch each week. Players like Ruiz, Frei and Dembele would find themselves in a lot of teams in this league.

reds1869
01-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Fulham's team gets better to watch each week. Players like Ruiz, Frei and Dembele would find themselves in a lot of teams in this league.

Fulham is great to watch. Plus, how can you not like a club that has an American themed pub named for Brian McBride?

OldRightHander
01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I have been following Liverpool "Reds" since the 80's.

Same here, and strictly because of the name Reds, by the way.

5TimeWSChamps
01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
I love Dempsey, what a player. And I root for Fulham except against Arsenal cause guys like Eddie Johnson, Keller, McBride, Dempsey

BuckeyeRed27
01-03-2012, 12:42 PM
I will be trying to catch a few Everton games for the next couple months too since Landon Donovan will be there. I go to a lot of LA Galaxy games and he is a pleasure to watch in person.

reds1869
01-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I will be trying to catch a few Everton games for the next couple months too since Landon Donovan will be there. I go to a lot of LA Galaxy games and he is a pleasure to watch in person.

I met Landon a few years ago. What a nice guy...very warm and genuine in person.

Roy Tucker
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
I've been watching the EPL more and more over the last couple years...

I have no favorite teams, but I'm just agog at the skills of the players. Such quick accurate passes and their feet are like magnets for the ball. And such a feel for the pitch and spacing. And there doesn't seem to be as much diving as in WC soccer. Plus British crowds are very appreciative of the play.

reds1869
01-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Plus British crowds are very appreciative of the play.

That has always been key to my enjoyment. I honestly prefer the style of play in Germany but the crowds in England are pure electricity. The matches seem more exciting than they really are simply because of the atmosphere and it makes them a blast to watch. If you get the chance watch a lower level contest (Championship, League One, etc.) and see just how passionate those fans are. It will knock your socks off. The clubs are also much friendlier to fans at that level. Bristol City allowed me to wander around their ground unsupervised when I was in town and won a fan for life!

5TimeWSChamps
01-04-2012, 04:25 PM
Apparently Tim Howard just scored for Everton

BuckeyeRed27
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Looks like he needs to score another one quick.

Yachtzee
01-04-2012, 04:53 PM
I've been watching the EPL more and more over the last couple years...

I have no favorite teams, but I'm just agog at the skills of the players. Such quick accurate passes and their feet are like magnets for the ball. And such a feel for the pitch and spacing. And there doesn't seem to be as much diving as in WC soccer. Plus British crowds are very appreciative of the play.

From what I've seen, British refs aren't afraid to card for simulation. I love the singing you hear from EPL fans. Even the weaker teams seem to have great fan support. I can't imagine an American sport where you would hear the crowd cheering and singing the whole game for a last place team like you hear for teams in the drop zone for EPL. My hope is to one day get back over there and catch a match in person.

BuckeyeRed27
01-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Henry is officially back with Arsenal for the next two months. I think it's a good low risk move with Gervinho out at the same time.

Not EPL news but LA Galaxy defender Omar Gonzalez tore his ACL on his first day of training on his new loan deal with Nurenberg. Got tangled up with US defender Timmy Chandeler. Ugh. Huge blow for the Galaxy.

reds1869
01-06-2012, 02:08 PM
I'm glad to see Henry spending his twilight time at Arsenal. He's just never looked right in any other colors. Sort of like all of those Babe Ruth pictures in a Braves uniform.

OldRightHander
01-07-2012, 12:20 AM

With an assist to the wind, but still pretty incredible.

BuckeyeRed27
01-07-2012, 11:32 PM
Deuce had a hat trick today in the FA Cup. First of his career.

5TimeWSChamps
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
Henry scoring Monday was incredible

BuckeyeRed27
01-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Henry scoring Monday was incredible

It really was. I mean it was like a movie or something. Certainly not an epic goal or anything and he took advantage of a defensive mistake, but given the situation I got chills watching it on replay.

BuckeyeRed27
01-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Congrats to Clint Dempsey! First American to net a hat trick in the epl. Pretty awesome. The last two goals were beautiful.

Big day tomorrow. Arsenal man u is on fox before the AFC championship game and city and spurs are on fox soccer really early.

Joseph
01-22-2012, 12:53 PM
These guys can teach NBAers how to flop. I swear it looks like there is a sniper in the crowd picking them off.

improbus
01-22-2012, 08:59 PM
These guys can teach NBAers how to flop. I swear it looks like there is a sniper in the crowd picking them off.
The only flop because it gets rewarded way more than punished. It has gotten bigger in the NBA and even is trickling into the NFL (as Jerome Simpson can attest). But, it is the most annoying aspect of soccer.

Yachtzee
01-27-2012, 06:26 PM
The only flop because it gets rewarded way more than punished. It has gotten bigger in the NBA and even is trickling into the NFL (as Jerome Simpson can attest). But, it is the most annoying aspect of soccer.

At least the EPL has refs willing to give cards for simulation. Flopping is worse in other leagues. I actually think flopping is down in league play. If only that would transfer to the World Cup.

BuckeyeRed27
01-27-2012, 07:09 PM
At least the EPL has refs willing to give cards for simulation. Flopping is worse in other leagues. I actually think flopping is down in league play. If only that would transfer to the World Cup.

Yeah watch a Serie A league game some time. Jeez.

Flopping doesn't bother me as much as it used to. When it is super egregious or near the box it does, but most of the time I just chalk it up to part of the game. It's sort of a way to get a "time out" for the rest of the team.

Didn't get to watch Landon vs. Dempsey today, but Everton won 2-1 with Landon assisting on both goals.

OldRightHander
01-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah watch a Serie A league game some time. Jeez.

Flopping doesn't bother me as much as it used to. When it is super egregious or near the box it does, but most of the time I just chalk it up to part of the game. It's sort of a way to get a "time out" for the rest of the team.

Didn't get to watch Landon vs. Dempsey today, but Everton won 2-1 with Landon assisting on both goals.

I watched it. Absolutely beautiful crosses on both.

BuckeyeRed27
01-28-2012, 11:57 AM
I watched it. Absolutely beautiful crosses on both.

Just watched the high lights and those were perfect. It's interesting that his role with Everton is more of the Beckham role on the Galaxy. I've watched Donovan play a lot and his passing has never been that good.

5TimeWSChamps
01-28-2012, 05:10 PM
Hes been absolutely incredible for Everton each of the last two loan spells

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Yachtzee
01-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Arsenal is not looking good against Villa. Down 2-0 at the half. Bent shows us why it's good to follow up your shots.

BuckeyeRed27
01-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Arsenal is not looking good against Villa. Down 2-0 at the half. Bent shows us why it's good to follow up your shots.

I'll take all 3 in the 2nd half though!

Yachtzee
02-05-2012, 01:10 PM
I'll take all 3 in the 2nd half though!

I stepped away from that game, came back and was like, "wha' happen'?"

Yachtzee
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Anyone watching Man U-Chelsea on Fox? Sturridge gets a goal on a bankshot off Man U's Evans. Well own goal on Evans, but not really a fair description

BuckeyeRed27
02-26-2012, 08:20 PM
It's been a rough month for Arsenal which made this morning that much better!

RVPs equalizer is one of the best goals I can remember.

5TimeWSChamps
02-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Yep, season saving win?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

BuckeyeRed27
02-28-2012, 12:33 PM
Yep, season saving win?

It's a big win for sure. They romped Chelsea a couple months back too and couldn't keep the momentum going so we'll see. I do like they Wenger shook up the line up a bit and shipped Arshavin out.

BuckeyeRed27
02-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Not EPL, but I'm guessing all soccer is welcome in this thread.

Big win for the US over Italy today 1-0. Dempsey scored a great goal in the run of play on a lay off by Altidore. Great defense performance and a really solid game from Bradley as well.

Yachtzee
03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Not EPL, but I'm guessing all soccer is welcome in this thread.

Big win for the US over Italy today 1-0. Dempsey scored a great goal in the run of play on a lay off by Altidore. Great defense performance and a really solid game from Bradley as well.

Just watched it on DVR. Granted it was a friendly, but it was a big win against a team the US doesn't win against. I think the biggest change I noticed was sounder fundamental play than from the Bob Bradley era. Better passing, better first touch, more build-up from midfield rather than boot-and-chase. Maybe it's Klinsman and maybe it's more Americans playing in top-flight European leagues in England, Germany, the Netherlands, France and Italy, but the players definitely looked more polished.

The US is also starting to rely more on tactics than athleticism. It was interesting to see them take a high line on defense, play the offside trap, and work defenders into the attack. Bradley has definitely seen marked improvement from playing in Italy. Altidore and Dempsey were impressive as well. Klinsman has also been working new faces into the lineup. If they can build on this win, the future looks bright.

On a side note, I think Alexi Lalas is an idiot. At the half, all he did was complain about whaat they weren't doing instead of looking at what they were doing right. Yes, Giovinco was getting behind the line of defense, but it was mostly by design. It can be dangerous, but Giovinco is speedy enough to beat our central defense from an onside position, so why not play higher and force him offsides. Then at the end he praises them for "going back to the old ways" by bunkering down. I don't mind them playing it safe to take away a first win from Italy in Italy. However, I want to see continued improvement at the tactical level so that the US can win more games against top teams on goals in the course of play rather than relying on athleticism to get goals from headers, set pieces, and outrunning the defense on long passes. I can handle them taking some lumps in future games if they can learn and prepare themselves to play better in the future. Klinsman was brought in to help the US play with the big boys in 2014 and that means working on playing smarter.

Yachtzee
03-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I'd also like to give some praise to Italy for their play as well. I've been one of the biggest critics of the Italian style of play on this board but I can recognize changes for the better in the Azzuri. They still played tough on defense, but I noticed a definite shift from the cynical play of the past. It seems they're moving away from the hard foul and flop style epitomized by Gattuso and Matterazzi to a more possession oriented style. They're a team in transition, but if they can improve without reverting to the old ways, maybe I won't hate them so much at the next World Cup. I found it ironic that the most egregious foul in the game was Bocanegra's open field body tackle in the second half.

BuckeyeRed27
03-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Goodbye AVB. 8 months at Chelsea was all you get.

improbus
03-10-2012, 10:54 AM
My man crush on Dempsey is growing to epic levels. He has made every Fulham game a must watch. Is he taking the "best American player ever" crown away from the recently crowned Donovan? Also, anyone think he is getting a call soon from one of the big boys?

BuckeyeRed27
03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
My man crush on Dempsey is growing to epic levels. He has made every Fulham game a must watch. Is he taking the "best American player ever" crown away from the recently crowned Donovan? Also, anyone think he is getting a call soon from one of the big boys?

They are both great. Dempsey's form of late has been unreal and I hope he can keep it up until Brazil.

I think if he gets a big boy call up it will be outside the EPL, unless Chelsea wants to really start over and I'm not sure how much Fulham wants to help them out anyways.

Yachtzee
03-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I've seriously considered getting a Fulham jersey with "Deuce" on it. I've actually started looking ahead in the TV sched to see when Fulham's on.

BuckeyeRed27
03-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Arsenal just won their 5th in a row and are now only a point behind Spurs for 3rd. Never thought I'd be able to type that a month ago.

Thrilling finish against Newcastle today too. Scored a late (very late) winner on a breakout. Love the Watch ESPN app for the iPhone!

OldRightHander
03-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Anyone watching Man U-Chelsea on Fox? Sturridge gets a goal on a bankshot off Man U's Evans. Well own goal on Evans, but not really a fair description

That's something I guess I don't get. There are plays where an offensive player will obviously bank it off a defender and the defender didn't seem to be able to do anything about it, but it invariably gets called an own goal. Shouldn't a forward get a bit of credit for pulling off that play? Just something that always kind of bugged me.

OldRightHander
03-18-2012, 02:17 PM
I guess everyone has seen this. Really puts things in perspective.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116438/Fabrice-Muamba-collapse-Bolton-player-suffers-suspected-heart-attack-pitch.html

reds1869
03-18-2012, 03:24 PM
I guess everyone has seen this. Really puts things in perspective.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2116438/Fabrice-Muamba-collapse-Bolton-player-suffers-suspected-heart-attack-pitch.html

It is always shocking when an otherwise healthy young person collapses during a sporting event. I'll never forget watching Hank Gathers die. So sad.

Ohayou
03-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Stuff like this leaves a sick feeling in my gut, seeing a guy in his prime go out like that. I can still remember when Reggie Lewis' heart gave out on the court in an NBA game.

OldRightHander
03-21-2012, 04:27 PM
It appears he's doing better.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7708259/fabrice-muamba-breathing-ventilator-no-longer-critical

RawOwl UK
03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
That's something I guess I don't get. There are plays where an offensive player will obviously bank it off a defender and the defender didn't seem to be able to do anything about it, but it invariably gets called an own goal. Shouldn't a forward get a bit of credit for pulling off that play? Just something that always kind of bugged me.

If a shot is on target but gets deflected in it will more than likely go to the the player takin the shot. If the ball isn't on target it's an out and out OG. The premiership have/used to have a dubious goals panel where a few ex pros would decide who should get the credit for goals once the games are over.

Years ago you would have seen more OGs as they do tend to give the attacking player the benefit of the doubt these days. And rightly so.

dabvu2498
03-21-2012, 05:49 PM
I'm a bit of a novice as a football fan. But even I know the goal to win the Man City-Chelsea game was monumental.

IslandRed
03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7718919/fabrice-muamba-how-athletes-fall

Good read from Grantland on Muamba and the reaction. I'm not a big follower of soccer, but I was channel-flipping that morning and came across the game with "match suspended" and stunned-looking crowd shots. I figured it must have been awful, whatever it was, if they wouldn't even show the field... but I was thinking some guy broke his leg in 15 places or something. Not that.

improbus
04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Man U all but wraps it up as City falters again.

Also, Dempsey is amazing. I've read that Arsenal is sniffing around. I would love to see Clint get some Champions League run.

Tony Cloninger
04-08-2012, 09:47 PM
I am surprised there are not more Reds fans here.....considering Liverpool is the real Reds and their history. I have been a fan since the early 80's.

improbus
04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
I am surprised there are not more Reds fans here.....considering Liverpool is the real Reds and their history. I have been a fan since the early 80's.
I feel wrong somehow attaching myself to Liverpool. They have always seemed very insular (like Newcastle) as opposed to the more worldly and cosmopolitan Arsenal, Spurs, or United.
Also, one of the joys of following the EPL is that I wasnt attached to a team from my youth, so I am able to simply pick out the best match to watch and to do so unfettered. I'm not forced to watch Wigan vs. Stoke for loyalty reasons....

Tony Cloninger
04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
I feel wrong somehow attaching myself to Liverpool. They have always seemed very insular (like Newcastle) as opposed to the more worldly and cosmopolitan Arsenal, Spurs, or United.
Also, one of the joys of following the EPL is that I wasnt attached to a team from my youth, so I am able to simply pick out the best match to watch and to do so unfettered. I'm not forced to watch Wigan vs. Stoke for loyalty reasons....

I do not care what Stoke does really...... not that hardcore, like one of my friends from England ...who is an even bigger Liverpool fan. So I do not worry about what other teams really do.

I do feel Sir Alex is a hypocrite..... who called Suarez a diver....while condoning and crying for Ronaldo to get calls when he was there, and basically intimidating the officials to do just that.

Now I am sure not going to defend Suarez on everything and his histrionics are a pain.....his row with Evra was something he should have known better to even start with..... but I do not think Evra is any saint in that whole thing either...even on the handshake debacle that happened afterwards.

I do see though that whenever an English player takes a bit of a dive ...it is called "tactical" by the announcers and press....but a foreigner does it (Besides Drogba, who seems to get a pass for being such a big man who goes down easy)... well it is the 2nd coming of the apocalypse.

Soooo.... basically there is no way I can root for Man U. I respect Arsenal and I am enjoying that Tott and Newcastle are doing well.

Man U and Man City right now is like rooting for the Yankees or Cardinals or Red Sox.

5TimeWSChamps
04-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Sp*rs lose again to Norwich.

Come on Gunners

5TimeWSChamps
04-09-2012, 04:44 PM
DEMPSEY Just scored against Chelsea.

1-1

improbus
04-09-2012, 05:32 PM

1-1

Dempsey is much watch TV at this point.

BuckeyeRed27
04-09-2012, 06:51 PM

1-1

Love it!

He is making himself a lot of money this year.

Yachtzee
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Anyone watching Wigan v. Man U? Wigan has been playing tough and is up 1-0.

BuckeyeRed27
04-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Anyone watching Wigan v. Man U? Wigan has been playing tough and is up 1-0.

Not watching, but if Wigan can hold on the lead would be back down to 5 as City is up 2 on West Brom. Looks like Man U was polishing that trophy too soon perhaps?

Yachtzee
04-11-2012, 04:14 PM
Not watching, but if Wigan can hold on the lead would be back down to 5 as City is up 2 on West Brom. Looks like Man U was polishing that trophy too soon perhaps?

Wow, Rooney taken out for Nani at 65'. Man U has already used up all 3 subs. I sense a bit of panic. Not what you expect from them.

WMR
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Clint Dempsey. That is all.

What about the US missing the Olympics? That is pathetic.

5TimeWSChamps
04-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Chelsea vs Arsenal: 7:45 am on ESPN2 Tomorrow....A win wraps up a CL spot you would think

BuckeyeRed27
04-20-2012, 03:33 PM
Chelsea vs Arsenal: 7:45 am on ESPN2 Tomorrow....A win wraps up a CL spot you would think

I hate the "lunch time" games. That's 4:45 AM for me. I mean I'm going to get up and watch it...I'm just not happy about it.

improbus
04-20-2012, 09:10 PM
I hate the "lunch time" games. That's 4:45 AM for me. I mean I'm going to get up and watch it...I'm just not happy about it.
It is perfect for me. My kids get up around 6:00. By the time the game is over, I have my whole day ahead of me. This is so different than football games, which swallow the meat of the day. It is one of the many reasons I have replaced football with futbol.

OldRightHander
04-22-2012, 01:38 AM

One comment: DVR

BuckeyeRed27
04-22-2012, 05:09 PM
One comment: DVR

I do that sometimes, but watching sports on DVR just isn't the same.

improbus
04-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Man city has a chance...but, here is how I see it going:
City beats United next week to take the lead.
City loses at Newcastle the following week to lose the lead.
United closes out the title against Swansea and Sunderland.

5TimeWSChamps
04-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Robin Van Persie won the PFA Player of the Year tonight. Well deserved

Thought Dempsey should have been nominated

I'm rooting like crazy for Newcastle to finish 4th

BuckeyeRed27
04-24-2012, 05:06 PM
Wow a 10 man Chelsea takes down Barca at Camp Nou. I'm not a Chelsea fan, but great job getting to the final. Torres came on as a sub and scored the clinching goal.

oneupper
04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Wow a 10 man Chelsea takes down Barca at Camp Nou. I'm not a Chelsea fan, but great job getting to the final. Torres came on as a sub and scored the clinching goal.

Didn't see this but did see Barca lose to Real Madrid on Saturday. Demoralized would be my guess.

improbus
04-24-2012, 06:26 PM
Robin Van Persie won the PFA Player of the Year tonight. Well deserved

Thought Dempsey should have been nominated

I'm rooting like crazy for Newcastle to finish 4th

Dempsey came in fourth in the voting. That is outstanding.

BuckeyeRed27
04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Dempsey came in fourth in the voting. That is outstanding.

Really happy for Dempsey. Now go get him Wenger!

BuckeyeRed27
04-30-2012, 05:26 PM
City takes down Man U today 1-0. Wasn't able to watch, but sounds like City really dominated play. Now lets see if they can avoid the huge choke job.

improbus
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
City takes down Man U today 1-0. Wasn't able to watch, but sounds like City really dominated play. Now lets see if they can avoid the huge choke job.

United barely even threatened the goal. They had no attacking push and played with less energy.

City vs. Newcastle will be amazing. Newcastle is tied with Spurs for 4th.

improbus
04-30-2012, 06:15 PM
There is a very interesting article on Deadspin that catalogues some twitter responses to ESPN showing the game on their top network. I won't link to it because the responses are beyond foul, but if you are so inclined...

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 01:26 AM
There is a very interesting article on Deadspin that catalogues some twitter responses to ESPN showing the game on their top network. I won't link to it because the responses are beyond foul, but if you are so inclined...

ESPN has usually done a good job with its soccer coverage, but unfortunately, they've dumbed down their audience by putting on shows like Jim Rome and Around the Horn.

BuckeyeRed27
05-01-2012, 02:23 AM

Thanks for the heads up. That is hilarious.
I love the anger soccer generates with people. I can't think of any other sport that generates that type of response. I really don't understand why you can't like soccer and football or whatever.

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 10:17 AM
I love the anger soccer generates with people. I can't think of any other sport that generates that type of response. I really don't understand why you can't like soccer and football or whatever.

I think a lot of sports fans have been getting into soccer. I went to a concert Saturday night and was surprised when the other guys in my group were suddenly talking about the big ManU-Man City match and how they were going try to work from home to be able to watch it. I think the anti-soccer crowd is getting smaller. Many follow the NFL and the EPL and/or MLS as well. In fact, I think I heard somewhere that, among the 18-35 set, soccer is rapidly gaining in popularity and could be the #2 sport behind the NFL at some point in the near future for that age group. I think ESPN/ABC, FOX, and even NBC (who signed a deal to put MLS on their NBCSports channel) knows it, which is why we're seeing more and more soccer on TV.

westofyou
05-01-2012, 10:37 AM

Americans don't grasp soccer because it's not traditionally a sport that fathers taught their boys (that's changing) Plus it's a world wide sport, not solely an american invention.

It doesn't resonate deep enough yet, it doesn't scream AMERICA is #1!!

Therefore it's to be ridiculed

Pretty sad if you ask me.

That game yesterday was awesome

BuckeyeRed27
05-01-2012, 11:19 AM
I think a lot of sports fans have been getting into soccer. I went to a concert Saturday night and was surprised when the other guys in my group were suddenly talking about the big ManU-Man City match and how they were going try to work from home to be able to watch it. I think the anti-soccer crowd is getting smaller. Many follow the NFL and the EPL and/or MLS as well. In fact, I think I heard somewhere that, among the 18-35 set, soccer is rapidly gaining in popularity and could be the #2 sport behind the NFL at some point in the near future for that age group. I think ESPN/ABC, FOX, and even NBC (who signed a deal to put MLS on their NBCSports channel) knows it, which is why we're seeing more and more soccer on TV.

It is absolutely growing and I agree that vocal group is getting smaller. There is way more access to watching European soccer now and the quality of play in the MLS has increased a lot in the past few years. I've had LA Galaxy season tickets for the past few years and I've really noticed a more diverse and more importantly, a vocal and supportive crowd at games than ever before.

I was speaking more towards how vocal people who claim to not like soccer are. WOY makes some good points as to why, but I still find it interesting. I don't see people going out of their way to rail on hockey or tennis or horse racing.

OldRightHander
05-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Americans don't grasp soccer because it's not traditionally a sport that fathers taught their boys (that's changing) Plus it's a world wide sport, not solely an american invention.

It doesn't resonate deep enough yet, it doesn't scream AMERICA is #1!!

Therefore it's to be ridiculed

Pretty sad if you ask me.

That game yesterday was awesome

Think a World Cup win would change some of that? Have to wonder what the chances are of pulling that off one of these years.

BuckeyeRed27
05-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Think a World Cup win would change some of that? Have to wonder what the chances are of pulling that off one of these years.

IMO it absolutely would, but it is also unlikely to actually happen. I think the US team has the potential to get better quick due to the resources we have, but skill wise we are pretty far away from actually winning the World Cup absent the dumbest of dumb luck. If we were to even make it to the final four in the next couple World Cups that would be an amazing accomplishment.

Yachtzee
05-01-2012, 08:09 PM
IMO it absolutely would, but it is also unlikely to actually happen. I think the US team has the potential to get better quick due to the resources we have, but skill wise we are pretty far away from actually winning the World Cup absent the dumbest of dumb luck. If we were to even make it to the final four in the next couple World Cups that would be an amazing accomplishment.

Weaker teams have made it to the semifinals in the World Cup. Some national teams have made it far with mediocre talent when they have one or two rare talents who can put the team on their backs and carry them to victory. The draw can also be a big determining factor. With a favorable draw, I think the US could make it to the semis in 2014 or 2018. With an unfavorable draw, they get stuck in a "Group of Death" and go home early.

I think the skill level for US talent is improving as more US players ply their trade in top-flight European leagues and MLS teams have been importing solid players from Central and South America instead of relying solely on European retirees to boost the league.

westofyou
05-01-2012, 11:36 PM

World Cup win would be a big change, as the 1980 Hockey win was a precursor to southern USA expansion.

Real change will occur in a generation.

However the fight uphill is almost over, the game is loved by a LOT of people, unfortunately they don't buy tickets at the rate of the other sports fans... but they also don't get the media exposure the other sports do (example: today USA Today had a front page story (Sports page) on who was slotted first for the 2013 NFL draft... 2013.

OldRightHander
05-05-2012, 08:11 AM
F.A. Cup final in four hours, and the traditional start time has been bumped a couple hours, partly for better viewing times in the U.S. That had to say something. Sir Alex is not amused: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/9247000/FA-Cup-final-2012-Manchester-United-manager-Alex-Ferguson-labels-FA-stupid-for-delaying-showpiece-kick-off.html

5TimeWSChamps
05-05-2012, 08:18 AM
I guess Arsenal doesnt want to play Champions League football

BuckeyeRed27
05-06-2012, 01:33 PM
I guess Arsenal doesnt want to play Champions League football

Thank you Villa!

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2012, 11:58 AM
WOW! That is what sports is all about right there. Man City goes down a goal to a 10 man QPR, spends the next 20 minutes assaulting the goal before finally getting two in in stoppage time. That was the most dramatic soccer game I have ever watched. Unbelievable!

Oh and Arsenal won a great game and gets to play in the Champions League.

dabvu2498
05-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Unfathomable.

westofyou
05-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Stunning

BuckeyeRed27
05-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Wow I still can't believe what I just watched. I'm trying to think of a better sporting event that I've seen.

MWM
05-13-2012, 08:46 PM
What a day it was.

improbus
05-13-2012, 08:49 PM
I was on the road and had my wife check the scores on her phone. It said, QPR 2 - City 1 90+1 and ManU 1 - Sunderland 0 90+2. Then I got to the restaurant and saw the bottom line on a TV at the bar. I couldn't speak. Simply astounding.

Outrider
06-12-2012, 10:45 AM
Big Arsenal fan here, eondering if any other RZ Faithful follow the beautiful game overseas

Just saw this. I am also a big Arsenal fan, going back to 1997. There were several years I did not get to watch them though. I got back on board when Directv added Fox Soccer and Goltv in 2009.

reds1869
06-12-2012, 11:35 AM
The Aresnal fans posting here must tour The Emirates (and Arsenal Museum) next time they are in London. A simply fabulous facility.

Outrider
06-12-2012, 12:55 PM
I've not made it London the first time yet. If I ever do (and that's doubtful due to the expense) I will definitely visit both places.

5TimeWSChamps
07-04-2012, 04:30 PM
And RVP announces he wont renew Arsenal Contract.

Sigh

5TimeWSChamps
07-05-2012, 04:22 AM
www.arseblog.com hits the nail on teh head.

Screw RVP

BuckeyeRed27
07-05-2012, 11:10 AM
And RVP announces he wont renew Arsenal Contract.

Sigh

It is pretty frustrating because I really like the other signings so far this offseason. Arsenal does a good job at running the club in a fiscally responsible way, but the fact is they still finished 18 points behind City and Man U this year.

At this point you have to sell him off and try and get somebody new. I really hope somebody has been on the phone with Clint Dempsey.

M2
07-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I doubt Arsenal is going to miss RVP all that much. Wenger's system nets goals. Leading scorers will come and go, but rest assured Arsenal will have someone (or multiple someones) putting the ball in the net.

Betterread
07-05-2012, 10:58 PM
I doubt Arsenal is going to miss RVP all that much. Wenger's system nets goals. Leading scorers will come and go, but rest assured Arsenal will have someone (or multiple someones) putting the ball in the net.
I like Arsenal's style of play but now they are going to rely on podolski, walcott and Gervinho for goals. None of those guys are locks to score 15 or more goals next year. In fact, if Walcott scores 15 that is probably the most he has ever scored in a year. That is a mid-table strike force, at best.
VP wants to leverage his best year. So should Arsenal and only sell if to a top team if they get top dollar. If they don't get market value, park him on the bench until the winter transfer season.

BuckeyeRed27
07-06-2012, 11:23 AM

The system will help, but RVP is an elite player and none of ther replacements have shown they can produce at that level. Arsenal can still be competitive, but there will be some type of drop off and they aren't a top of the table team.

M2
07-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I like Arsenal's style of play but now they are going to rely on podolski, walcott and Gervinho for goals. None of those guys are locks to score 15 or more goals next year. In fact, if Walcott scores 15 that is probably the most he has ever scored in a year. That is a mid-table strike force, at best.
VP wants to leverage his best year. So should Arsenal and only sell if to a top team if they get top dollar. If they don't get market value, park him on the bench until the winter transfer season.

I agree about making someone pay out the nose, but Wenger will get goals out of those guys or an import. Supposedly Van Persie was risky when Adebayor left. And no way was Adebayor going to replace Thierry Henry.

And when Henry arrived he was a low-scoring winger. Back in 1999 Nicolas Anelka and Ian Wright were gone and Dennis Bergkamp was getting older. Where were the goals going to come from? The answer was Henry and Kanu (who had just spent three years doing nothing at Inter).

So where will they come from now if RVP moves on? Olivier Giroud just arrived. Podolski's good enough to start for the German national team. The Ox is growing up quickly. Ryo Miyaichi is lurking in the wings. Gervinho might be ready to start finding the net after taking an adjustment year. Then there's Theo, who just had his best season. And the Blue Dragon, Chamakh, Bendtner and Vela are also still Arsenal properties. On top of that, I'm guessing Arsenal will be able to buy someone tasty with some of that RVP money (or get someone in return for RVP).

The club has plenty of options and Wenger always figures this out (defense is a different story). Honestly I'd sell RVP just because he's probably at max value. He's brittle and moody, not the kind of guy you build a team around. My main hope is Real Madrid resists the temptation to buy him.