PDA

View Full Version : Reds trying to get Marshall.......

jhu1321
01-02-2012, 07:37 AM
... to sign an extension.

Extension Candidate: Sean Marshall http://t.co/ZdbfOqol #mlb

LegallyMinded
01-02-2012, 10:47 AM
I thought this was an interesting part of the article:

While there are a few conditions that have to fall into place in that scenario for Marshall before we get ahead of ourselves, it's worth nothing that Ryan Madson basically followed a similar arc and positioned himself for a windfall heading into this offseason.

If anything, I would think the example of Ryan Madson might make Marshall more likely to sign an extension. After all, Madson was recently dubbed "loser of the offseason (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ryan-madson-loser-of-the-offseason/)," and so it seems like his decision to take a risk and try to get paid like a closer backfired pretty badly. I suppose Marshall might still want to wait and see what Madson ends up signing for, but right now, Madson's situation can't seem too appealing.

jhu1321
01-02-2012, 11:49 AM
You've got to think if we're talking to Marshall @ closing (although Walt denies that) he'd be more likely to extend? I for one, would love that scenario b/c it eliminates all the Cordero talk and would allow us to spend remaining budget on a LF instead of going after Madson.

mattfeet
01-02-2012, 06:02 PM
You've got to think if we're talking to Marshall @ closing (although Walt denies that) he'd be more likely to extend? I for one, would love that scenario b/c it eliminates all the Cordero talk and would allow us to spend remaining budget on a LF instead of going after Madson.

True, but the only issue I have with Marshall closing is that still leaves a void in the bullpen, especially with Chapman (seemingly) heading to the rotation. Regardless if Marshall is made into the closer, we still need 1-2 more bullpen arms to really solidify that part of the team.

-Matt

Red Raindog
01-02-2012, 06:13 PM
I thought this was an interesting part of the article:

If anything, I would think the example of Ryan Madson might make Marshall more likely to sign an extension. After all, Madson was recently dubbed "loser of the offseason (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ryan-madson-loser-of-the-offseason/)," and so it seems like his decision to take a risk and try to get paid like a closer backfired pretty badly. I suppose Marshall might still want to wait and see what Madson ends up signing for, but right now, Madson's situation can't seem too appealing.

Yeah -- I didn't get that either -- Madson has had some bad luck with his foray into the $$$ sweepstakes --- I'd love to see the Reds pick him up -- but IMHO they must extend Marshall at a reasonable rate or I will think they paid too much for him.

nmculbreth
01-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I thought this was an interesting part of the

I'm not sure you can use Madson as the cautionary tale.

While Madson may have overplayed his hand, he's still likely to end up getting far more than the three year, $15mil theoretical deal for Marshall. Barring injury you'd think that sort of deal would be the floor for Marshall and if he ends up closing he stands to make much more during the next offseason.

I'd love to see Reds sign him to an extension before he hits the open market but I'm just not sure what Marshall has to gain by signing early.

dMaus14
01-02-2012, 07:58 PM
First, I look at Matt Thornton as the model with Marshall. If he's considered a late game relief pitcher or set up man than he won't get CL $$. Thornton signed a 2/$12M with a $6M club option. If you could get Madsen for 3/$18M that would seem to be a good 8th/9th combo for the same price or cheaper than Coco last year alone!

Red Raindog
01-02-2012, 08:05 PM
First, I look at Matt Thornton as the model with Marshall. If he's considered a late game relief pitcher or set up man than he won't get CL $$. Thornton signed a 2/$12M with a $6M club option. If you could get Madsen for 3/$18M that would seem to be a good 8th/9th combo for the same price or cheaper than Coco last year alone!

That would be nice -- I don't live in Madson's head but I suspect he might balk at 3 years / $18M because he might still be thinking there is a BIG payday waiting for him in a different year --- having said that I will take him for one year at $6M or $7M -- but it is not my money being spent!