PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Koolaid (from Org)

redsfanmia
01-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Are you buying in? I think as long as they have 3-4 guys who are a threat to strike out 150+ times in the lineup everyday and they do not get a legit right handed bat who drives in runs this team is no better than .500 even with the improved pitching.

Alpha Zero
01-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Are you buying in? I think as long as they have 3-4 guys who are a threat to strike out 150+ times in the lineup everyday and they do not get a legit right handed bat who drives in runs this team is no better than .500 even with the improved pitching.

I think that the Reds are about an 86-88 win team right now. With a significant upgrade in LF, I think they'll win 90 or more if everyone remains reasonably healthy. The Reds have a solid pitching staff with two great arms at the top and have one the best infields in baseball when Rolen is healthy. The OF may be a bit weak, but we could definitely see some improvement from Bruce and/or Stubbs since both guys had off years in 2011.

We'll have to wait and see how things pan out, but I feel better about this team than last year's squad. I'd really like to see an upgrade in left since I think it would push this team from "solid" to "serious contender" status.

LegallyMinded
01-02-2012, 09:55 AM

I wouldn't worry about the strikeouts. Consider the Diamondbacks last year, for instance: They struck out 1249 times, compared to 1250 times for the Reds, and yet the Diamondbacks finished 94-68. Or look at the Braves: They struck out even more frequently, and still finished above .500. Strikeouts in and of themselves, in short, don't mean a team can't be very successful.

With that in mind, I think the improved pitching (and the subtractions of Pujols, Fielder, etc. from the Cards and Brewers) do make the Reds a legitimate threat to win the Central. They had an expected record of 83-79 last year, and with a better rotation and bullpen, that should only improve.

jhu1321
01-02-2012, 11:08 AM
Explain 2010 if that's the case. Reds are improved over that team.

izzy's dad
01-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Add a couple high OBP guys (one for left, one utility), and another bullpen arm and I think this team could do some good things. If the injury bug doesn't bite us, and guys like Stubbs, Bruce, Mesoraco, and Bailey improve, the 2012 Reds could be pretty good.

brm7675
01-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Our offense ranked overall where last year?

izzy's dad
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Our offense was very good last year. We are going to add a guy in left field to replace Sappelt, and platoon with Heisey, and a utility infielder. I would like for those guys to be able to get on base. We have a bunch of guys that don't have a patient approach at the plate, and at times that hurts our offense. If the Reds add another good bullpen arm, and a couple high OBP guys, they could really be good.

texasdave
01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Every last available dime should be spent on pitching.

RedsBrick
01-02-2012, 03:08 PM
All things being equal (mainly injuries), I do believe the Reds are a legit contender for the division.

The combination of the top teams getting weaker and the Reds adding some nice pieces makes the Reds contenders.

Cards: is Wainwright going to deliver? Will Berkman and Beltran continue to produce or begin to decline? How will this team do w/o LaRussa?

Brewers: Fielder gone, Braun serving his 50 game suspension...is that too much to overcome? That's a lot of production to try to replace.

Cubs: A real wildcard...no telling what they will do.

Pirates: Same thing for them....although they will predictably fade down the stretch as always.

Astros: Suck

OGB
01-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Add a couple high OBP guys (one for left, one utility), and another bullpen arm and I think this team could do some good things. If the injury bug doesn't bite us, and guys like Stubbs, Bruce, Mesoraco, and Bailey improve, the 2012 Reds could be pretty good.

To me, this is key. In the NL Central, the Reds and Pirates have the teams that seem primed to improve the most when you consider their returning core. Simply put, it's because we have a wealth of young talent.
That doesn't mean someone like Bailey or Stubbs actually will put up better numbers than last year, but I feel better about that possibility than a 36/37 year old like Berkman/Carpenter even matching last year's success, let alone exceeding it.

redsfanmia
01-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Our offense was very good last year. We are going to add a guy in left field to replace Sappelt, and platoon with Heisey, and a utility infielder. I would like for those guys to be able to get on base. We have a bunch of guys that don't have a patient approach at the plate, and at times that hurts our offense. If the Reds add another good bullpen arm, and a couple high OBP guys, they could really be good.

I am not so sure that the offense was very good last year, they pretty much only scored runs when they hit the long ball.

LeDoux
01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
I drink the Red Kool-Aid every year. It’s part of being a fan. Each Spring I build hope that the Reds will be division champs- even if the roster suggests otherwise. Clearly the 2012 Reds will be the World Series Champions.

LeDoux
01-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Every last available dime should be spent on Cordero's pitching.

Fixed it for you. I am sure this is what you meant. :thumbup:

rgslone
01-03-2012, 09:20 PM
I'm a little concerned by the loss of Sappelt and Alonzo in regard to LF. Both had deficiencies - Alonzo's defense and Sappelt's power. Nevertheless, both seemed to be quality bats with good contact ability and OBP. I like Heisey's defense and he's got some pop, but the strikouts conern me. Can someone with better insight and knowledge than me make me feel better about the situation?

bounty37h
01-04-2012, 04:09 PM
I drink the Red Kool-Aid every year. Itís part of being a fan. Each Spring I build hope that the Reds will be division champs- even if the roster suggests otherwise. Clearly the 2012 Reds will be the World Series Champions.

LeDoux took my words, I drink the koolaid every year as well. Its part of what excites me, the unkown, and everyone starting at same spot each year. If it comes down to not drinking it as each season approaches, I think the days of being a fan are over, if you cant hope, whats the point?