5.Bill Hall
6.Alfredo Amezaga
7.Corey Patterson
8.Ryan Ludwick
9.Conor Jackson
10.Johnny Damon

DGullett35
01-05-2012, 11:41 AM
I think id have Damon alot higher because his bat might be one of the best on this list, but since he doesnt play the field much anymore your probably right

izzy's dad
01-05-2012, 11:54 AM
Fukodome gets on base at pretty decent rate. I would go with him first.

Red Raindog
01-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Fukodome gets on base at pretty decent rate. I would go with him first.

we needs to limit the ex-Cubs on the team ----

jhu1321
01-05-2012, 12:22 PM
That list makes me want to throw up.

jhu1321
01-05-2012, 12:25 PM
and if they sign Corey Patterson (again) I'm boycotting the season.:laugh:

Alpha Zero
01-05-2012, 12:44 PM
JD Drew and Magglio Ordonez are both still out there as well. Drew is made of glass, but I wouldn't mind picking him up as a backup. Fukudome wouldn't be horrible, and I'd be okay with either Ludwick or Ross off the bench since both guys have a bit of pop.

Unfortunately, none of the FAs still out there - with the potential exception of Cespedes - has the potential to be a major difference maker for the 2012 Reds.

The DARK
01-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Fukudome is a reasonable option, and probably the most reliable of all of these. Damon is coming off a pretty good season too, and would probably mesh well in the clubhouse. Beyond that, it's slim pickings, and nobody that remotely deserves to platoon with Heisey. Ankiel is very underwhelming. Ross is on the decline, as are Drew and Pierre. We'll pick up at least one of these guys to be a 4th/5th OF, but nobody seems like true starter material.

My prediction is that Jocketty makes a move with a rebuilding team for a player who had a down year, similar to the move that the Marlins made with the Cubs earlier. Alex Rios might be a candidate.

jhu1321
01-05-2012, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't mind Rios but he's due $ 36 million over the next three years. Don't see the Reds absorbing that.

alett12
01-05-2012, 01:54 PM
It might not be the exact order i would go with but I have damon so far down because he is limited to playing left field. But being the fact of the reds are looking for a 4th outfielder i would want them to be able to play all 3 spots which is one reason i left off a guy like Vlad who could be a back up left fielder and a DH in interleauge. I honestly wouldnt mind seeing the reds sign vlad but thats me. Rios if the white soxs would take on the salary wouldn't be bad but i prefer heisey over any of these listed any day of the week. the only reason i don't see heisey starting is if they bring in a rios or someone of that caliber

The DARK
01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't mind Rios but he's due $ 36 million over the next three years. Don't see the Reds absorbing that.

If I'm not mistaken, the Cubs absorbed all but 3 million of Zambrano's cash. We might be able to get a similar deal.

LegallyMinded
01-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Conor Jackson might be the most intriguing candidate on that list. His last season when he was fully healthy, he hit .300/.376/.446. That was 2008, and after that he contracted Valley Fever, lost 35 pounds and has struggled in his time in the Majors.

Over the last couple years, however, his SLG and ISO have improved, so it seems like he might be regaining some of the strength he lost during his illness. If he were actually healthy enough to repeat that 2008 line, I think he'd easily be the best option of the 10 listed.

dMaus14
01-06-2012, 12:48 AM
I know people may think I am crazy but Manny Ramirez said the "door is open" for a minor league contract! The guy can hit!

BEETTLEBUG
01-06-2012, 05:57 AM
True ManRam or Bonds what would here both have been cleared!!!?

Redsnake
01-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Ludwick, Damon, Ordonez and JD might just be shells of there former selves, but I would take a chance on one of them. Low risk/ medium reward for a locker room guy who could help in spots.

alett12
01-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Ludwick, Damon, Ordonez and JD might just be shells of there former selves, but I would take a chance on one of them. Low risk/ medium reward for a locker room guy who could help in spots.

If you are going to go with one of those guys, why not Vlad? he had a better season than any of them all be it very silently, since he was in baltimore, put him in left for the 1st 7 innings then let heisey finish it out since that is when he hit the best anyway.

DirtyBaker
01-06-2012, 02:38 PM
and if they sign Corey Patterson (again) I'm boycotting the season.:laugh:

+1. Aside from a mediocre year in Baltimore, he hasn't hit well since W's first term.

If you are going to go with one of those guys, why not Vlad? he had a better season than any of them all be it very silently, since he was in baltimore, put him in left for the 1st 7 innings then let heisey finish it out since that is when he hit the best anyway.

I like it except he'll probably be asking for $4-6M per. His deals with Texas and Baltimore were $5.5 and $7.6. He also hasn't routinely played the OF since 2008, and only 1 start in LF in his entire career, so there's a gamble there.

This also made me check out Heisey's day/night splits to check if perhaps he simply sees the ball better at night - it's true, across the board he's a more effective player with the exception of his K ratio.

alett12
01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
+1. Aside from a mediocre year in Baltimore, he hasn't hit well since W's first term.

I like it except he'll probably be asking for $4-6M per. His deals with Texas and Baltimore were $5.5 and $7.6. He also hasn't routinely played the OF since 2008, and only 1 start in LF in his entire career, so there's a gamble there.

This also made me check out Heisey's day/night splits to check if perhaps he simply sees the ball better at night - it's true, across the board he's a more effective player with the exception of his K ratio.

It could be worth a shot then with interleauge being scattered through out the season he could be used as a DH then. I don't think he'll be asking for to terribly much, i would definately think the reds could afford 1 year 5 million.

Tadasimha
01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
It could be worth a shot then with interleauge being scattered through out the season he could be used as a DH then. I don't think he'll be asking for to terribly much, i would definately think the reds could afford 1 year 5 million.

I would rather have Cody Ross than Luke Scott. Ross has been a steadier producer, not as streaky as Scott, could be a DH during interleague games and brings post-season experience to the club house.

NeilHamburger
01-06-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm really surprised by the lack of interest in Kosuke. Outside of one 50 game stretch with the Indians he's averaged around a .370 OBP. Bottom line is none of the guys are going to stop teams from pitching around Joey Votto, hell, even Beltran probably wouldn't have unless he had a big year.

Know what will stop teams from pitching around Votto? Someone on first base. Teams still don't want to walk a guy into scoring position. The Reds have never had someone with a .375 OBP in front of Votto. Do you have any idea how many runs that would produce? To me he is the perfect guy.

This team has tons of low OBP, high slugging types. Stubbs, Heisey, Phillips, Mesoraco and to a degree Bruce.

Kosuke is a change from that. He works the count well, and gets on base. He'd already be signed if I were GM.

izzy's dad
01-07-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm really surprised by the lack of interest in Kosuke. Outside of one 50 game stretch with the Indians he's averaged around a .370 OBP. Bottom line is none of the guys are going to stop teams from pitching around Joey Votto, hell, even Beltran probably wouldn't have unless he had a big year.

Know what will stop teams from pitching around Votto? Someone on first base. Teams still don't want to walk a guy into scoring position. The Reds have never had someone with a .375 OBP in front of Votto. Do you have any idea how many runs that would produce? To me he is the perfect guy.

This team has tons of low OBP, high slugging types. Stubbs, Heisey, Phillips, Mesoraco and to a degree Bruce.

Kosuke is a change from that. He works the count well, and gets on base. He'd already be signed if I were GM.

Great post. Last year our best players Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Brandon Phillips got on base at .416, .341, and .353 respectively. Fukodome got on base at a .352 clip, he gets on base at .361 in his career. In other words he instantly becomes the second best on base guy on this team... if signed. A lineup with Fukodome, Phillips, Votto, and Bruce gets on base at a decent rate and drives in a few runs. I don't get all of the Fukodome hate either.

LegallyMinded
01-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Great post. Last year our best players Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Brandon Phillips got on base at .416, .341, and .353 respectively. Fukodome got on base at a .352 clip, he gets on base at .361 in his career. In other words he instantly becomes the second best on base guy on this team... if signed. A lineup with Fukodome, Phillips, Votto, and Bruce gets on base at a decent rate and drives in a few runs. I don't get all of the Fukodome hate either.

I think some people are scared off by the declining walk rate and drop in power he showed last year. Also, for what it's worth, his defense last year was so poor that, even with a .342 OBP, he was below replacement level overall. Perhaps he would perform better playing mainly in LF as opposed to RF, but a -11.5UZR is still concerning.

alett12
01-09-2012, 11:21 AM

the one big thing i see against fukodome is his age.

brad1176
01-09-2012, 11:53 AM
the one big thing i see against fukodome is his age.

But you're ok with Vlad??

alett12
01-09-2012, 01:38 PM
But you're ok with Vlad??

Vlad has never had a problem making contact. Fukadome has

brad1176
01-09-2012, 02:49 PM
Vlad has never had a problem making contact. Fukadome has

True, but Vlad can't play the outfield anymore, he's a DH for the rest of his career. I'm not sure he can run the bases anymore. :laugh:

jhu1321
01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
There is no way we stick Vlad in left (or right), or on the field anywhere. I imagine he'll sign with an AL team and DH. My money's on Ludwig.

jhu1321
01-09-2012, 03:02 PM
There is no way we stick Vlad in left (or right), or on the field anywhere. I imagine he'll sign with an AL team and DH. My money's on Ludwig.

.... and for what it's worth I think he could have a good year in a split role w/ Heisey in hitters paradise.....:beerme:

alett12
01-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Hesiey doesn't need to be splitting time with any

alett12
01-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Hesiey doesn't need to be splitting time with anyone. He should be given left and be told its his job to lose just like it was last year for Gomes

brad1176
01-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Hesiey doesn't need to be splitting time with anyone. He should be given left and be told its his job to lose just like it was last year for Gomes

I agree, especially with the outfielders that are left on the market.