PDA

View Full Version : What about Arroyo for Burnett (plus cash)

Brisco
01-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Ok... so we swap to contract albatrosses. Arroyo has a contract situation that makes it very difficult to trade him. His contract status is:

2012: $7 million, 2013: $6.5 million, 2014: Free agent.
$15M deferred without interest, paid through 2021, If traded, deferrals are are voided and paid up-front.

So basically we owe him 28.5 million dollars still, 15 of which is due immediately if he is traded. Meanwhile Burnett is owed 16 million for each of the next two years or 32 million total. The Yankees are offering to pay 8 million of that salary but there have not been any takers.

IFF Arroyo agrees to restructure his contract so that he is paid the 28.5 in salary over the next two years by the Yankees AND the Yankees add in the 8 million to Burnett to make the trade, the Reds lose the benefit of the deferred pay. The Yankees would be paying out more for Arroyo than Burnett, but they might want him more.

For public relations reasons, the Yankees would want to sever ties with Burnett and the continual talk show fodder his contract provides; and bringing in a very popular big city personality like Arroyo (not to mention a former BSox) is just what they might want.

Their stats last year were very similar... (ERA of 5.15 on 190 innings pitched for Burnett and 5.07 on 199 for Arroyo) and are probably to Burnett's advantage if you take away the differential caused by playing in the AL East versus the NL Central. The biggests difference is in the walks and Ks... Arroyo 45 and 108, Burnett at 83 and 173.

I am not saying the Burnett is a definite improvement over Arroyo, but proposing this trade as "change of scenery" type that could end up helping.

Thoughts?

Alpha Zero
01-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't hate it, but I don't really see much benefit unless it frees up a lot of payroll space. Burnett has the higher ceiling, but I think that Arroyo has a better shot at bouncing back and being average. Arroyo also has a long track record as an innings eater, which is at least somewhat valuable on a team with a lot of young arms.

In general, I think I'm pretty indifferent to the proposition.

brm7675
01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
Exactly why does Bronson need a "change" of anything? His problem last year was health. Now that he has had a full offseason to get healthy I see no reason why he can't post some nice numbers as the 3/4 guy in the rotation.

DGullett35
01-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Yankees would never do that. Now if we could trade Arroyo for Phil Hughes I would take that.:)

stereodose
01-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I think Bronson is a stand up guy who had a very bad year (health).

He was quoted as being very disapointed and focused on returning to form.

Nathan
01-06-2012, 08:27 PM
Honestly, it'd pretty much be a lateral move. There's no advantage in doing it. Why does everyone think that Arroyo isn't going to bounce back? He hasn't been in a consistent (more than one season) decline. It was one off year so far.

alett12
01-10-2012, 11:20 AM
I think I'd rather have Bronson at this point. Burrnet hasn't been consistent since leaving Toronto and Bronson has been other than last year. I'm not sure I'd want to risk the change of scenery would help burnnet.