PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood

jhu1321
01-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Assuming he and Cordero would cost about the same (based on his salary for the Cubs last year) does it make sense for the Reds to look at him as a potential closer? I'd much rather have him than CoCo.....

BEETTLEBUG
01-10-2012, 02:09 PM
He would be as much as CoCo from what I been reading around 4MM. Yes take him and( Ardamis) on minor and the Cuban OFer.

alett12
01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
It would probably cost a pretty penny to get him to leave the cubs but I would prefer him over coco

Alpha Zero
01-10-2012, 03:35 PM
If the price is about the same, I'd prefer Wood to Cordero. Wood is less durable, but his peripherals look much better than Cordero's. In addition, signing Wood instead of Cordero nets the Reds that coveted supplemental first round pick.

I think the only question I have is whether or not Wood would want to play for Baker. I've never read anything about Wood blaming Baker for ruining his arm, but almost all of Cub nation seems to believe that's the case. I wonder if he harbors any resentment towards Baker or if there's nothing to that angle at all.

jhu1321
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
If the price is about the same, I'd prefer Wood to Cordero. Wood is less durable, but his peripherals look much better than Cordero's. In addition, signing Wood instead of Cordero nets the Reds that coveted supplemental first round pick.

I think the only question I have is whether or not Wood would want to play for Baker. I've never read anything about Wood blaming Baker for ruining his arm, but almost all of Cub nation seems to believe that's the case. I wonder if he harbors any resentment towards Baker or if there's nothing to that angle at all.

Good question. In Wood's final seasons as a Cubs starter he threw around 215 innings. Doesn't seem that excessive......

BEETTLEBUG
01-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Go 1 year plus club option.

jhu1321
01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Question remains: Does he close?

dMaus14
01-10-2012, 04:29 PM
If you could sign Wood and Cordero for a combined $7M would you? Your bullpens would be:

CL - Cordero
SU - Marshall and Wood
MR - Bray, Ondrusek, Masset
LR - LeCure

BEETTLEBUG
01-10-2012, 04:49 PM
MAYBE
Well yes I would only sign Wood and the Cuban outfielder

jhu1321
01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
I would not sign both (actually I wouldn't sign Cordero either way). Would save any excess cash for Ludwig or Fukudome.

Mutaman
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
So its unanimous: everyone would prefer a guy with one save over the last two years to a guy with 77 saves over the last two years? Makes sense.

Redleg39
01-10-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm taking coco over Wood for sure! Especially if they're asking the same price. Just look at the numbers over the past few years, there is no comparison. Cordero is more durable and a better closer by far. I'm not saying that Coco is my ideal closer but I will take him over Wood no question

Tadasimha
01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
So its unanimous: everyone would prefer a guy with one save over the last two years to a guy with 77 saves over the last two years? Makes sense.

+1

A non-knee-jerk-anti-Cordero reaction on Sun Deck, write the date down! :lol:

Alpha Zero
01-10-2012, 06:14 PM

Wood actually has 9 saves over the past two seasons, but that's a moot point really. I think the save is a pretty meaningless statistic. Wood has experience closing games and I have no doubt that he can get the job done just about as well as Cordero has for the past four years. The only question mark (and I admit, it's a pretty big question mark) is Wood's durability. That does give me some pause.

In any event, I don't want to let Cordero walk just because I don't like the guy or anything like that. On the contrary, I think he's a stand up guy, and he's done a fantastic job finishing out games for the Reds for four years. Unfortunately, he'll be 37 next year, and his K/9 rate has fallen each of the last four years. He's in decline, and the Reds are in a position to collect a free draft pick in the top 50 if he walks. That's important now more than ever since the Reds need to restock the system following a couple of big trades.

Tuff Nut
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Just say no to coco. IF Wood is signed, Marshall will be the closer, anyways.
For me, I want Madson over both. Case Closed.

alett12
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM

Coco is a heart attack waiting to happen, he is basicly mitch williams all over

jhu1321
01-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Saves alone don't tell the whole story.

DocRed
01-10-2012, 08:51 PM
I would rather a sack of potatoes close than Coco...

Mutaman
01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
+1

A non-knee-jerk-anti-Cordero reaction on Sun Deck, write the date down! :lol:

You have to admit, the anti-Cordero posts are always supported by facts and intelligent reasoning.

DocRed
01-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Saves alone don't tell the whole story.

77 Saves....but a below ave save % the last 2 years.

texasdave
01-10-2012, 11:09 PM
It is irrelevant now. Madson is the Reds new closer.

jhu1321
01-10-2012, 11:11 PM
Wow. Can't wait to see the numbers on this deal.

alett12
01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Wow. Can't wait to see the numbers on this deal.

Per MLBTR 1 year 8.5 Million with an option. The reds website has the same thing. I love the deal it gives the reds in my opinion one of the top 3 projected pens going into the season after Atlanta and the Brewers.