PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Madson

RedsfaninMT
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Per mlbtraderumors.com, Reds are seriously pursuing.

Please, oh please!

bshall2105
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
This would probably put us in to serious contention for the pennant but I'm still concerned about depth in the outfield and infield.

Tuff Nut
01-10-2012, 06:44 PM
This is terrific news. I guess I like Heisey more than most. Looking forward to seeing him get his due. A JD Drew would be a nice LH compliment.

Alpha Zero
01-10-2012, 06:46 PM
This would be a better option than Cordero or Wood if the price is right. I think something like 3 years and $21MM sounds fair. If a deal happens and it's for more than about $8 or $9MM per year, then I think it's a bad move that could hamstring the club somewhat in the future.

Mitri
01-10-2012, 06:55 PM
I'm guessing more like 3 yrs @ $8MM with a 1-year player option. $25MM guaranteed. Either that or 1 yr/$10MM. Bullpen would be deadly, especially late in the year and in the postseason once Chapman is moved to the pen.

Red Raindog
01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
This is the news I've been hoping to see and could not understand why it was not happening --- maybe the Reds have played their cards properly & he can be bought for a good deal -- I like Coco's past numbers BUT I fear he can't repeat them.

1 year or 2 years or 3 years -- as long as it still fits the budget - which I suspect is in the $7M per range -- I say get him.

We can look at OF after that.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
01-10-2012, 07:15 PM
does anyone else think that the money may be better allocated to the rotation? I'd think someone like roy oswalt could provide more value for the money. He'd eat up more innings than madson and kick out a potentially volatile homer bailey or, better yet, bronson arroyo, providing more value. that's not to say i wouldnt like to see him on a 1 yr deal in conjunction with extending marshall to fill the role for 2013, 2014 seasons at a cheaper rate than would normally be paid for a closer of that talent. You also have to wonder if that money could be put toward protection for votto, but unfortunately i don't see much of a market for power right handed LFers.

alett12
01-10-2012, 07:31 PM
does anyone else think that the money may be better allocated to the rotation? I'd think someone like roy oswalt could provide more value for the money. He'd eat up more innings than madson and kick out a potentially volatile homer bailey or, better yet, bronson arroyo, providing more value. that's not to say i wouldnt like to see him on a 1 yr deal in conjunction with extending marshall to fill the role for 2013, 2014 seasons at a cheaper rate than would normally be paid for a closer of that talent. You also have to wonder if that money could be put toward protection for votto, but unfortunately i don't see much of a market for power right handed LFers.

No, because everyone else thinks bringing in oswalt is pointless after bringing in Latos. There is not a place for oswalt. I said in another post i think bronson will have a better year than oswalt. Madson would make this bullpen match up with that of the braves, and rangers

The Rage
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM

No room. If the Reds need a extra arm(which Oswalt is) they can trade him for nothing in July. People always whine about the Cardinals, but this is what they do all the time.

If Arroyo bombs out, Bailey can't fix the delivery glitch or Leake regresses to much, there is always a arm in July easily had.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
01-10-2012, 07:38 PM
No, because everyone else thinks bringing in oswalt is pointless after bringing in Latos. There is not a place for oswalt. I said in another post i think bronson will have a better year than oswalt. Madson would make this bullpen match up with that of the braves, and rangers

I understand the idea behind potentially forming a shutdown bullpen, but if we're going for net value, oswalt's innings over arroyo's would help a lot. after the rotation's performance last year, i'm reluctant to believe latos alone is enough. plus, we lack depth at SP already. If anyone goes down we're going to have to rely on chapman which could stunt his growth and potentially blow up in our face. I agree, arroyo could and will bounce back to some degree, but Oswalt could take the rotation to the next level. Latos-Cueto-Oswalt-Leake-Bailey (not sure if chapman starts in AAA) is a WS caliber rotation. If we're going all in, lets put ourselves in position to win a championship, not just the division.

alett12
01-10-2012, 07:44 PM
I understand the idea behind potentially forming a shutdown bullpen, but if we're going for net value, oswalt's innings over arroyo's would help a lot. after the rotation's performance last year, i'm reluctant to believe latos alone is enough. plus, we lack depth at SP already. If anyone goes down we're going to have to rely on chapman which could stunt his growth and potentially blow up in our face. I agree, arroyo could and will bounce back to some degree, but Oswalt could take the rotation to the next level. Latos-Cueto-Oswalt-Leake-Bailey (not sure if chapman starts in AAA) is a WS caliber rotation. If we're going all in, lets put ourselves in position to win a championship, not just the division.

Bronson has thrown more innings than oswalt for about the last 3 years. true oswalt was at one time an ace but he isnt better than bronson at this point when he only threw 100 innings last season. Bartolo did better than that and he started in the season in the pen

Red Raindog
01-10-2012, 07:44 PM

I would be thrilled to give Oswalt a chance too -- since it is not my money I can be really free with it though.

foxfire123
01-11-2012, 02:01 AM
Great news!

and there are some Cards fans who have their panties in a wad over this signing. :lol:

jhu1321
01-11-2012, 07:39 AM
One year, 8.5 mil. Brilliant.

RedsBrick
01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
With the addition of Madson and the rest of the bullpen, it's almost turned into a 6 inning game! That too was the ingredient for success in 1990.

alett12
01-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Perfect sign in my opinion it can be a six inning game and the reds have 3 guy maybe 4 if Bronson bounces back who can go 8 innings

Old NDN
01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Great signing...especially if there is an option year involved. Now Walt, go find the Reds a RH hitting OF that can play a little (Ludwick, Nady, Ross) and get ready for the season.

alett12
01-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Great signing...especially if there is an option year involved. Now Walt, go find the Reds a RH hitting OF that can play a little (Ludwick, Nady, Ross) and get ready for the season.

The reds need a back up out fielder who can play all three out field spots thus elimanating ludwick and nady who mainly played 1st last year anyway. I'd preffer a willy harris, bill hall, fukadome, ect.

Old NDN
01-11-2012, 01:30 PM
The reds need a back up out fielder who can play all three out field spots thus elimanating ludwick and nady who mainly played 1st last year anyway. I'd preffer a willy harris, bill hall, fukadome, ect.

I think Heisey can fill that role when not starting, IF they go after those I mentioned above. While Fukudome is tempting, I believe he would cost too much and is a LH hitter. But, you never know the cost until you ask. Madsen's signing proved that.

alett12
01-11-2012, 01:44 PM
I think Heisey can fill that role when not starting, IF they go after those I mentioned above. While Fukudome is tempting, I believe he would cost too much and is a LH hitter. But, you never know the cost until you ask. Madsen's signing proved that.

I just think heisey should be starting no matter what and you need a guy who can start when Heisey, stubbs, and bruce need a day off when frazier and fransisco are both in the infield. If Phipps does a decent enough job in spring training he should have it but I've got a feeling it will be to a veteran on a minor league deal

Old NDN
01-11-2012, 01:59 PM
I just think heisey should be starting no matter what and you need a guy who can start when Heisey, stubbs, and bruce need a day off when frazier and fransisco are both in the infield. If Phipps does a decent enough job in spring training he should have it but I've got a feeling it will be to a veteran on a minor league deal

I envision Heisey getting most of the time in LF, also. I was thinking of in-game moves that would enable Heisey to switch to either CF or RF. I too, think it will be a veteran addition. Unsigned players have got to be getting a little antsy for a job. Again, playing to the Reds' advantage. Exciting time to be a Reds fan.

alett12
01-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I envision Heisey getting most of the time in LF, also. I was thinking of in-game moves that would enable Heisey to switch to either CF or RF. I too, think it will be a veteran addition. Unsigned players have got to be getting a little antsy for a job. Again, playing to the Reds' advantage. Exciting time to be a Reds fan.

I agree, but i don't see you moving heisey around in the outfield during a game because his defense in Center isn't that of stubbs and he hasn't had enough games in right to tell about his compared to bruce, but with him in left they are potentailly the best defensive team in baseball.

UPRedsFan
01-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Out of curiosity I looked up the stats of Madson, Marshall and Cordero.

To my surprise Cordero had the best WHIP and batting average against of the 3 by a significant margin.

I know he's older, slightly, and may decline next year. But he really had a good year didn't he?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the 2 additions. Just found it surprising that Cordero's numbers last year were better than both these guys we're all so excited about. If I had to predict, I'd say Cordero will not surpass them in 2012. But it might be close.

bagz
01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
:thumbup: Nasty Boys 2. M & M

Captain13
01-12-2012, 08:34 AM
:thumbup: Nasty Boys 2. M & M

Add Massett and you have 3M. Seal it.:beerme:

alett12
01-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Out of curiosity I looked up the stats of Madson, Marshall and Cordero.

To my surprise Cordero had the best WHIP and batting average against of the 3 by a significant margin.

I know he's older, slightly, and may decline next year. But he really had a good year didn't he?

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the 2 additions. Just found it surprising that Cordero's numbers last year were better than both these guys we're all so excited about. If I had to predict, I'd say Cordero will not surpass them in 2012. But it might be close.

I think they realized that the fans were tired of him and they need to go a new direction