PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Ryan Madson

redlegs7089
01-10-2012, 11:00 PM
per heymans tweet

redlegs7089
01-10-2012, 11:02 PM
im glad means..no cordero. 3 more months till opening day!!!

RedsFan_26
01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
The Jocketty haters will still find something wrong with this deal and a reason it should not have been made.

But i think its a great move :beerme:

texasdave
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Excellent off-season for the Reds.

Nathan
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Oh boy...........................

Who Dey Time
01-10-2012, 11:05 PM
Agree that its a great move. My only concern is that Madson, you would think, would command a ton of money. Thus, this could preclude the Reds from extending Phillips or addressing either 3B or LF.

RedsfaninMT
01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Just turned 50 on the first...life moves too fast these days.

But opening day cannot get here fast enough.:beerme:

BRM13
01-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Agree that its a great move. My only concern is that Madson, you would think, would command a ton of money. Thus, this could preclude the Reds from extending Phillips or addressing either 3B or LF.

Not extending Phillips might be a feature, not a bug. They've had a lot of time to negotiate and haven't concluded a deal. Walt may have decided that what Phillips wants is unreasonable, so he's gone ahead and spent the money elsewhere.

I agree LF might have been a better use of the money since LFs typically impact run differentials more than closers. We'll have to see what Madson's price tag was. Still, unless it is insane, this helps a lot more than resigning Cordero or adding Wood.

TheBigLebowski
01-10-2012, 11:20 PM
yessssss

BRM13
01-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Imagine a post-season bullpen with Chapman, Marshall, and Madson to close games. :thumbup:

Obviously getting way ahead of things, but its been a long time since I felt the Reds really had a legitimate chance to compete for a WS. :D

Who Dey Time
01-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Heyman now tweeting that it is a 1-year deal. No $$$ figures mentioned.

big boy
01-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Heyman now tweeting that it is a 1-year deal. No $$$ figures mentioned.

I don't get why he would sign for only one year.

Who Dey Time
01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I don't get why he would sign for only one year.

The closer market really dried up about a month ago. For Madson, sign a 1-year deal and hopefully have a great 2012 and try your luck in the market again next year.

nmculbreth
01-10-2012, 11:35 PM
Fantastic.

This is about the best possible offseason the Reds could even hope for... While their two biggest rivals have been weakened by free agent defections the Reds have added the best starter on the market and two elite relievers for the bullpen. And if that wasn't good enough, they're getting two first round comp picks for Cordero and Hernandez without even having to offer arbitration.

powersackers
01-10-2012, 11:43 PM
John Fay wrong again. He said there was no chance.

So excited for this team. Barring injuries or complete flops from Mes and Cozart this team wins the Central or a close second to St. Louis no doubt.

Who Dey Time
01-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Bob Nightengale (USA Today) has the deal for one year at OVER $10 million.

Wow.

https://twitter.com/#!/BNightengale

dMaus14
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
I would be willing to bet that maybe a couple million is deferred!

George Foster
01-11-2012, 12:22 AM
With Marshall and now Madson, if the reds have the lead going into the 8th inning....ballgame!

BOOM goes the dynamite!!!!:beerme::beerme::beerme:

The DARK
01-11-2012, 12:26 AM
1 year deal... I'd be willing to bet an open closer role is going to be a big incentive for Marshall to extend. Good use of our resources for this season, and it'll pay off if we start bringing the crowd back in.

joshua
01-11-2012, 12:50 AM
No Prince, 50 without Braun, No Pujols, No LaRussa and no Duncan. The Reds have one of the best offense in baseball returning and added Latos, Marshall and Madson. I don't see how we're not NL Central favorites and huge contenders for the pennant. This is the most excited I've been for a Reds season in my lifetime. It's going to be a loooooong winter. I wish I could freeze myself and wake up during Spring training.

Pitchout
01-11-2012, 12:59 AM
This is exciting! Wow!

I have to ask this, and please understand I'm not a Dusty-hater. But I think this sends a pretty clear message that Dusty's boys have to put up this year as he goes into a contract year. It will be VERY interesting to see what happens with Dusty's contract status at the end of 2012. With this roster in this division, how can he NOT win? The question is, how far does his team have to go for him to get a new contract for 2013 and beyond. Just how high is the bar set for the 2012 expectations?

I'm pumped, tough. This will be fun!!!

Mutaman
01-11-2012, 01:31 AM
This also means they are committed to Chapman as a starter.

LeDoux
01-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Just imagine if any of the following come true:

1. Rolen has a nice ~.780-.800 OPS bounce-back year
2. Bruce takes a step forward
3. Arroyo has a 2012 more like 2010 than 2011
4. Mesaroco has a + .800 OPS first year
5. Chapman becomes the SP we hoped for in 2010

They have a solid pitching core, a solid lineup, and many legit possibilities for individuals to improve in 2012.

2012 should be a good year.

LukeSho
01-11-2012, 03:34 AM
Sounds like $8.5 mil from most sources. Hope thats true.. can shovel some of that leftover towards LF

Captain13
01-11-2012, 07:05 AM
This is awesome. Mat Latos to start. Ryan Madsen to close. What an offseason. Go Reds.

DocRed
01-11-2012, 07:44 AM
No more Coco!

topsyt
01-11-2012, 07:51 AM
With this deal, if Chappy becomes a solid starter, we become "World Serious!":thumbup:

Farnsie
01-11-2012, 08:03 AM
I'm Busting. Jerry I'm Busting! It was just a couple of seasons back I started following baseball and the Reds. Now this offseason, I've never felt more happy about a team since...since....

Now I actually thought they'd sign Cordero (phew) but with a sandwich pick in-between. Thank you and goodbye!

NCCardfan
01-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Good for you, bad for STL. $8.5MIL was a little more than I was thinking he'd get but the Reds bullpen just got REAL GOOD! Looks like a CIN - STL 2 horse race this year, this ought to be fun!

PhatHead
01-11-2012, 08:34 AM
Good for you, bad for STL. $8.5MIL was a little more than I was thinking he'd get but the Reds bullpen just got REAL GOOD! Looks like a CIN - STL 2 horse race this year, this ought to be fun!

I like it. Rumors were they offered CoCo 2 years $14 mill and then backed it down to 1 year $7 mill. I like Madsen for 1 year $8.5 mill. It gives us another year to see if we can develop a closer in house or gotta go outside again. Well done Walt.

texasdave
01-11-2012, 08:38 AM
I like it. Rumors were they offered CoCo 2 years $14 mill and then backed it down to 1 year $7 mill. I like Madsen for 1 year $8.5 mill. It gives us another year to see if we can develop a closer in house or gotta go outside again. Well done Walt.

If Walt really did offer Coco a 2-year $14 million dollar deal he got very, very, very lucky. Volquez-lucky. (Re: Volquez turned down a multi-year extension).

jhu1321
01-11-2012, 09:06 AM

Yes, a year to figure out if Chapman can make it as a starter or if he's destined for a closer role. :beerme:

DGullett35
01-11-2012, 11:55 AM
This surprised the heck outta me. I thought for sure we would re-sign Coco. Now with Madson we def. have the best bullpen in the central if not the whole NL. Marshall and Madson is going to be a heck of a 1-2 punch to close out games.

Cardinal_Fan
01-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Great deal for cincy. Really like your off season so far. Depending on how things work out in St Louis with the managerial change and Beltran/Pujols swap, looks like the NL Central's going to have a winner and a wildcard again.

goreds2
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Here is one good stat since he pitched in the tiny Philly ballpark.....

" He only allowed two home runs in 60 2/3 innings "

takealeake
01-11-2012, 01:11 PM
Wow people liking a deal for a change? Knew it, it was all coming together. Significantly upgraded the bullpen, added an impact starter, and now just need a left field bat. All coming together baby.

BallPark Bob
01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
I live and work in Phillies country and my inbox was filled is morning with positive comments and congratulations about Madson. Many Philly fans really wanted him back. He stepped up for the Phillies last year and also has shown his metal as a premium set up guy. It's a great near term move for the Reds.

PhillipsHead
01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Great sign. If we stand pat from here, I'm not upset. We just need young guys like Mes, Cozart and Francisco to kick it in gear this year.

Pete4prez
01-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Welcome aboard, Ryan!!!

KYRedLeg
01-11-2012, 03:35 PM
I've had two Cubs fans come up to me at work today and say there's no way the Reds don't win the division. It's nice to hear.

TuneSquad
01-11-2012, 06:09 PM
imo you always gotta look to the future, so... If Madson has the same year he had last year, this season, you think we resign him? I think what someone said earlier is right and we look for marshall to step in to the closer role to save a lil $$ for next year. Isnt there a 2013 mutual option?

sdwagers
01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
I've had two Cubs fans come up to me at work today and say there's no way the Reds don't win the division. It's nice to hear.

I d ask you confer with your management at work to have these co-workers drug screened... they are obviously smoking crack.

bagz
01-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Happy it wasn't Coco. Nice offseason signings.:thisyear:

Old NDN
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
imo you always gotta look to the future, so... If Madson has the same year he had last year, this season, you think we resign him? I think what someone said earlier is right and we look for marshall to step in to the closer role to save a lil $$ for next year. Isnt there a 2013 mutual option?

According to latest news from Mark Sheldon's blog, it's 6 mil. for 2012, 11 mill. option for 2013, or a 2.5 mill. buyout. So, 8.5 guaranteed. If he's as good as advertised, he will be worth the 11 mill. next year, IMO.

IamRV
01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Great signing and the contract seems reasonable. We're chipping away at the unreasonable contracts that have tied Walt's hands during his time in Cincinnati. The last two on the books were self-inflicted however and those are for Rolen and Arroyo.

Rolen's doesn't bother me as much as Arroyo's and the latter will continue to be a millstone for the next couple of years. Rolen is still valuable as a stabilizing presence but Dusty must decrease his time in the lineup to give more time to Francisco, especially against RH pitching. Arroyo is an inning eater but is paid waaaaaaaay too much for what he is - a #3 or lower starter.

DocRed
01-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Wow people liking a deal for a change? Knew it, it was all coming together. Significantly upgraded the bullpen, added an impact starter, and now just need a left field bat. All coming together baby.

They like it because we didn't deal any of our supposed future HOF prospects.

OGB
01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Great signing and the contract seems reasonable. We're chipping away at the unreasonable contracts that have tied Walt's hands during his time in Cincinnati. The last two on the books were self-inflicted however and those are for Rolen and Arroyo.

Rolen's doesn't bother me as much as Arroyo's and the latter will continue to be a millstone for the next couple of years. Rolen is still valuable as a stabilizing presence but Dusty must decrease his time in the lineup to give more time to Francisco, especially against RH pitching. Arroyo is an inning eater but is paid waaaaaaaay too much for what he is - a #3 or lower starter.

Tone down your size and color there, dude. What are you, an 11 year old on Myspace?

Pete4prez
01-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Welcome aboard, Ryan!!!

redsfanmia
01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Good trade candidate once they fall out of contention in July, should fetch some good talent.

Billy Hamilton's Legs
01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Happy about madson, but this kills me "Roy Oswalt is said to be asking for $8MM." I really feel like Oswalt would have made this team a better team as opposed to madson. I just don't trust Bailey/Arroyo at the back end of that rotation along with the possibility of regression and health that plagues the rest of the rotation. Last year, even with age and injury, had a FIP of 3.44, better than his numbers in 07-09. The highest his FIP has ever been is 3.8 in '08. That's consistency. Is he an injury risk? yes. but that doesnt mean we couldnt move arroyo to the long man role and slot him in for someone who is injured. Last year's rotation was atrocious and as high as the hopes are for this team, another season of those pitching numbers and we're right back where we started. Lifetime FIP of 3.35 vs 4.59. That difference over 200 innings is HUGE. I don't think the upgrade the bullpen got from madson will have the same impact.

OGB
01-13-2012, 03:42 PM
Happy about madson, but this kills me "Roy Oswalt is said to be asking for $8MM." I really feel like Oswalt would have made this team a better team as opposed to madson. I just don't trust Bailey/Arroyo at the back end of that rotation along with the possibility of regression and health that plagues the rest of the rotation. Last year, even with age and injury, had a FIP of 3.44, better than his numbers in 07-09. The highest his FIP has ever been is 3.8 in '08. That's consistency. Is he an injury risk? yes. but that doesnt mean we couldnt move arroyo to the long man role and slot him in for someone who is injured. Last year's rotation was atrocious and as high as the hopes are for this team, another season of those pitching numbers and we're right back where we started. Lifetime FIP of 3.35 vs 4.59. That difference over 200 innings is HUGE. I don't think the upgrade the bullpen got from madson will have the same impact.

I wouldnt mind seeing Oswalt in our rotation either, but I think if the consensus among baseball people was that he's still a top flight SP, he wouldve been signed a long time ago.

code
01-13-2012, 05:04 PM
I just don't trust Bailey/Arroyo at the back end of that rotation along with the possibility of regression and health that plagues the rest of the rotation.

I agree, having Bailey in the lineup is a 50/50 chance every game. You really never know which guy is showing up.

jimbo
01-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Has this signing been actually announced by the Reds yet, making it official? Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't read any comments coming directly from the Reds.

brad1176
01-14-2012, 04:04 PM
Has this signing been actually announced by the Reds yet, making it official? Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't read any comments coming directly from the Reds.

No, its not official until Madison takes a physical. He's on vacation and will take it this coming week.

jimbo
01-14-2012, 05:55 PM
No, its not official until Madison takes a physical. He's on vacation and will take it this coming week.

Ahhh, thanks. I knew he had to take a physical but didn't realize the delay was him being on vacation.