PDA

View Full Version : Is the city of Cincinnati going to step up for a change this year?

takealeake
01-11-2012, 02:17 PM
All these big moves being made, the organization is actually shoring up the pitching and trying to get it done. 27,000 a game isn't getting it done. And people can spend money no hope franchises like the Bungals, but not the Reds? No excuse why the Reds shouldn't have 35,000 plus in the seats on average the first month of the year.

alett12
01-11-2012, 02:43 PM
All these big moves being made, the organization is actually shoring up the pitching and trying to get it done. 27,000 a game isn't getting it done. And people can spend money no hope franchises like the Bungals, but not the Reds? No excuse why the Reds shouldn't have 35,000 plus in the seats on average the first month of the year.

from my understanding it genrally takes two winning seasons to get the place to start selling out. so i've got a feeling there won't be that many this year but next year and the one after that should be filling it up.

mlh1981
01-12-2012, 12:04 AM
Did they even draw well when they were good? I don't have the numbers in front of me, and I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that they have ever been a team to draw 30-35,000 on a nightly basis.

brm7675
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Not going to happen. It's cold and school is in session. They may get those on weekend games, but week night games won't come close till summer and school is out.

alett12
01-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Did they even draw well when they were good? I don't have the numbers in front of me, and I could be wrong, but I don't get the impression that they have ever been a team to draw 30-35,000 on a nightly basis.

when they were good they didn't have the staduim to pull that off.

Wink
01-12-2012, 01:22 PM
Aside from the years of the Big Red machine, Cincinnati hasn't historically been a "sell out the stadium every night" city.

Furthermore, you can't compare Bengals attendance with Reds attendance. Excluding potential playoff appearances, the Bengals play 8 home games a season whereas the Reds play 81. If someone wants to see a Bengals game they only have 8 chances, so your likelihood of selling out a particular game, and an entire season, are much greater.

And all of that aside, even the Bengals only sold out 3 games this season.

Given the current economic state of the city, the Reds' level of play over the last decade, and the fact that the casual fan has no idea who Mat Latos is, the thought that they'll draw over 30K on average through April is far-fetched.

takealeake
01-12-2012, 01:53 PM
It averages out, the point is why is there only 12,000 on a given weeknight game against the Pirates or something? That's atrocious. There's no reason for the attendance to bottom out like that.

Captain13
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
I bet they draw 43,000 per game thru April 9.;)

Wink
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
It averages out, the point is why is there only 12,000 on a given weeknight game against the Pirates or something? That's atrocious. There's no reason for the attendance to bottom out like that.

Obviously there's a reason, or it wouldn't be happening. Games vs a cellar-dwelling opponent when many are under- or unemployed in a weak economy plagued by rampant inflation of core consumer goods (food and gasoline) are all reasons why the Reds don't draw on weeknights. Taking a family of four to the game, even if you sit in the nosebleeds, is still going to run a hundred dollars or more when you factor in parking, peanuts, etc. The core blue-collar citizenry of the region just don't have that kind of money to throw around anymore.

R_Webb18
01-12-2012, 04:16 PM
if i remember right last year first 2 months were kinda bad and everyone was making a big deal about it and they last few months it seemed like there were good crowds.

Captain13
01-12-2012, 05:24 PM
Obviously there's a reason, or it wouldn't be happening. Games vs a cellar-dwelling opponent when many are under- or unemployed in a weak economy plagued by rampant inflation of core consumer goods (food and gasoline) are all reasons why the Reds don't draw on weeknights. Taking a family of four to the game, even if you sit in the nosebleeds, is still going to run a hundred dollars or more when you factor in parking, peanuts, etc. The core blue-collar citizenry of the region just don't have that kind of money to throw around anymore.

You can park for free (if your willing to walk less than a mile), and you can bring in your own cooler. So unless you need to "keep up with the Joneses" the nosebleeds, or any ticket for that matter, cost face value plus gas. My family of four can drive from Louisville and back, pack two bottles of water each, a sandwich and bag of chips each for $45 + tickets. Not exactly breaking the bank. If you live within 20 miles of GABP you could do it for $20 + tickets. If you buy the cheap seats it will cost less than a night at Applebee's (or chain restaurant of choice).

I am sick and tired of "fans" whining about the cost of a game when the Reds have done everything they can (cheap tickets, special deals, allowing coolers) to make the experience affordable.

OGB
01-12-2012, 05:46 PM
You can park for free (if your willing to walk less than a mile), and you can bring in your own cooler. So unless you need to "keep up with the Joneses" the nosebleeds, or any ticket for that matter, cost face value plus gas. My family of four can drive from Louisville and back, pack two bottles of water each, a sandwich and bag of chips each for $45 + tickets. Not exactly breaking the bank. If you live within 20 miles of GABP you could do it for $20 + tickets. If you buy the cheap seats it will cost less than a night at Applebee's (or chain restaurant of choice).

I am sick and tired of "fans" whining about the cost of a game when the Reds have done everything they can (cheap tickets, special deals, allowing coolers) to make the experience affordable.

Amen

I think the Banks project will help revitalize that area and indirectly help the Reds crowds this season, as well. The majority of the bars and restaurants in the already developed area are set to open before opening day.

DannyB
01-12-2012, 06:41 PM
The Reds have to walk the fine line between big crowds and big TV contracts.

mroby85
01-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Are you referring to the "no hope bungals" that have made the playoffs 3 out of the last 6 years, and made it this year with a rookie QB/WR combo? The ones with a stud WR in the pro bowl, and the only rookie QB to throw 20 td's and have 9 wins since the merger? I support both teams, but I think saying the Reds have been a lot better is a little ridiculous. Also, if you checked the Bengals attendance, not a lot of people were spending their money on them either, I had to go to 7 out of 8 games because I couldn't see them on tv lol. Also, the NFL is just a better product.

That being said, I agree. Cincinnati fans should step up on both levels, because both teams deserve it right now.

powersackers
01-12-2012, 11:28 PM
The Reds have to walk the fine line between big crowds and big TV contracts.

That's my biggest issue. I work in West Chester, live in Dayton and have the games on cable almost every pitch. I'm not super motivated to drive home, pack up the family and drive back to the game when I know I can watch it on my couch. Traffic is relentless sometimes to get down to the park.

I still go to 10 games or more a year with co-workers or clients. But on most nights I'll just watch on cable and never miss a pitch.

stripedwarrior
01-13-2012, 08:44 AM
We (family of 6) have a nearly 2 hour drive to get to the ballpark. I went to 3 games last year, which is 2 more than the year before. Granted on 2 of the occasions, we used the kids' straight "A" tickets and bought 6-12 extras, but we all had a great time. 3rd time we went with a couple friends and their wives.
Each time I parked under the stadium, and have no problem paying for the pleasure/convenience (no complaining). Personally, I don't mind walking to Fountain Square, or taking the ferry across the river, but my wife has no desire to walk any further than she has to. So we park underneath for $20.
If the kids get the free tickets again, I see us going to 3-4 games this year. It will largely depend on their schedules with sports over the summer.
On a side note, I have not been to a Bengals game since they opened the new stadium. Almost went this year, but decided against it. Sort of my own private protest to Mickey boy. As far north as I am, I can still get most of the blackout games via Lima, or Columbus TV. So, I have no desire to go there and spend the money it would take for a day of fun. I would rather take that money and go to an OSU game.

brad1176
01-13-2012, 09:45 AM
I guess I don't understand all of the excuses people give for not going. It boils down to whether you want to go or not. We drive 3.5 hours one way to games and we attend around 10 games a year. Last year we had the 20 game season ticket package and it was not fun to see the stadium half empty. Cincinnati has some of the cheapest tickets in baseball, the bleachers are what, 7 bucks? If you are truly a fan you go when you can and as much as you can, otherwise call yourself a bandwagoner and leave the excuses. (And yes, we went to that many games when Joey Hamilton was the ace.) Quit blaming the economy, you don't think other cities have the same problems? Cities like St Louis blow us away in attendance. Detroit drew more this past season than us and I'd say the economy there is worse than it is around Cincy. Sorry, this is a sore spot for me, and I hate excuses.

Wink
01-13-2012, 10:08 AM
It amuses me to see all of the people who act like going to ballgames is an obligation for anyone who roots for the team, and that someone who's not directly filling the team's coffers can't be a fan of the team.

I suppose if someone's self-identity demands that they elevate themselves to a higher tier of fanaticism about your hometown team than others, it makes sense that they'd insult and belittle those who can't afford to make the same monetary contribution to the team as they do.

I suppose I understand the thought process and where it comes from, even though I don't think it's healthy for a fandom community to belittle others and question their dedication (and as if dedication to a sports franchise is some sort of moral activity in and of itself) to the team they root for.

*shrug*

Carry on, boys.

justincredible
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM

Yep. If you live within a reasonable distance of the stadium it is pretty damn cheap to go to a game. When my wife and I go and don't get any stadium food/drinks we've spent less than $20 on nights that we use our season tickets.

If you can't find $5-10 tickets to a weeknight game you're doing it wrong.

dubc47834
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM

I think what the other guy is trying to get at is, with the economy the way it is even if you have the few extra dollars to spend on a game, there are much better things to spend your few extra dollars on than a Reds game.

dubc47834
01-13-2012, 01:00 PM
I guess I don't understand all of the excuses people give for not going. It boils down to whether you want to go or not. We drive 3.5 hours one way to games and we attend around 10 games a year. Last year we had the 20 game season ticket package and it was not fun to see the stadium half empty. Cincinnati has some of the cheapest tickets in baseball, the bleachers are what, 7 bucks? If you are truly a fan you go when you can and as much as you can, otherwise call yourself a bandwagoner and leave the excuses. (And yes, we went to that many games when Joey Hamilton was the ace.) Quit blaming the economy, you don't think other cities have the same problems? Cities like St Louis blow us away in attendance. Detroit drew more this past season than us and I'd say the economy there is worse than it is around Cincy. Sorry, this is a sore spot for me, and I hate excuses.

Just because you go to a ballgame doesn't make you any more of a fan than those who don't go. I live 4 hours away, I would love to attend more games a year that I currently do. I try to make a weekend series or 2 a year. With what you are saying makes you sound like the new Jacksonville Jaguars owner, saying he only wants to hear things from season ticket holders, what he calls true fans, that point of view is just rediculous. And yes other cities do have better attendance where the economy is much worse, but St. Louis(I hate to admitt it) is a better baseball town, and Detroit has put a better product on the field than us.

alett12
01-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Right now I have a 3 hour drive to get to cinci, so i to go to one game a year, but, I'm going to UC this fall so if anyone has tickets they're giving away please LET ME KNOW once school starts i'd be glad to fill up some seats when i can afford to go

Captain13
01-13-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't think anyone is belittling fans who don't go to games. It would be nice to see Reds fans fill the stadium.

What irks me is the fans who use cost and the economy as lame excuses. Say "I live too far away", "my kids are too young", "my couch is way more comfy" or even "I'm an alcoholic and can't afford to get hammered on $8 beers". I just get tired of people complaining about the cost (especially when it is the same folks complaining the Reds don't spend enough).

RedsfaninMT
01-13-2012, 06:05 PM
I don't think anyone is belittling fans who don't go to games. It would be nice to see Reds fans fill the stadium.

What irks me is the fans who use cost and the economy as lame excuses. Say "I live too far away", "my kids are too young", "my couch is way more comfy" or even "I'm an alcoholic and can't afford to get hammered on $8 beers". I just get tired of people complaining about the cost (especially when it is the same folks complaining the Reds don't spend enough).

Well, I do live too far away. I am not making the 1,800 mile drive to watch the Reds, and certainly not buying the plane ticket either. On the occasion I am back in Cincy, I do go to games, but it is a treat to me. Heck, there are often more people in the stadium than the town in which I live, which is the 4th biggest city in the state. Just fun to even think about that.

mlh1981
01-13-2012, 08:17 PM
I moved to St. Petersburg, FL this past Summer. I'm enough of a fanatic to drive the 17 hours up I-75 JUST for a baseball game :thumbup:

5ToolPlaya
01-14-2012, 11:50 AM
I have attended one or two games for the last few years. The moves Walt and company have made this year has inspired me to make it to a few more in 2012. Its refreshing to see the rotation and bullpen filled from the top with Latos, Madson, and Marshall. In the past too often the team has been filled from the back with guys like Josh Fogg, Victor Santos, and Estaban Yan. Fogg and others definitely have their place in baseball and I respect them very much but they do not elicit the excitement a franchise needs to fill the stands.

jwmann2
01-15-2012, 04:53 AM
Not going to happen. It's cold and school is in session. They may get those on weekend games, but week night games won't come close till summer and school is out.

More of a blue collar town anyway. A lot of people have to be at work bright and early and can't be watching baseball until 11pm on weeknights. Weekend games are always more packed, no matter what team is in town.