PDA

View Full Version : Sign Ludwig......

jhu1321
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
.... and let's get on with it. Does anybody see a better fit within our price range?

NCCardfan
01-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Who's that?

I've heard about Ryan Ludwick being available but would like some stats on this Ludwig guy.

jhu1321
01-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Ha ha..... never occurred to me to spell his name with a ck at the end. Thanks for the correction!:laugh:

NorrisHopper30
01-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I'd rather have Fukudome, but I like Ludwick unlike most people.

OGB
01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
He turns 34 this year. Here's his slash line the last 4 seasons:
2008) .299 .375 .591
2009) .265 .329 .447
2010) .251 .325 .418
2011) .237 .310 .363

Other than his stellar 2008 season, he has OPS'd over .775 once in his career, and that was .818 in 339 PA in 2007. He doesn't exactly have a history of offensive greatness is my point, more like one and a half good seasons hitting next to Pujols.
He has a poor K/BB rate, especially when compared to someone like Fukudome. Those two last year were 124/51 and 110/61, respectively.(For his entire career Fukudome's K/BB has been much better than that, too.)
I think those numbers are important to keep in mind because of the high strike out totals among our existing outfielders.

Lastly, Ludwick is a below average defender. I don't have any stats to site on that, but if you don't believe me, look them up for yourself.

Ryan Ludwick is not the right guy for this team.

brm7675
01-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't it have been nice to have an outfield of Pence/Stubbs/Bruce

SpanishArmada
01-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Here's the thing. If we're looking for someone to split at bats with Heisey, ideally we're looking for a lefty masher, right? Ludwick is like Heisey 2.0. Ludwick is a career .237 hitter against lefties. Count me out on him.

I'll take Magglio Ordonez, who is a career .322/.381/.554 hitter against lefties. There hasn't been much interest in him this offseason, if any, and he should be pretty cheap being 37 years old. He also said he had contemplated retirement as late as midway through the 2011 season.

I'll also pass on Ryan Theriot for Omar Vizquel. Vizquel would be the perfect mentor for Cozart, plus he can backup 2nd and 3rd. Switch hitter as well.

Redsfansince72
01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
How about a OF of Bruce, Cepedes and Hiesey or Stubbs?

Mutaman
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
This team does not need a right handed batter. This team needs a left handed batter. Doesn't anybody believe in the percentages anymore?

Tuff Nut
01-12-2012, 07:45 PM
This team does not need a right handed batter. This team needs a left handed batter. Doesn't anybody believe in the percentages anymore?
+1 This is why I wouldn't mind Drew, just not for everyday.

I can't recall if this guy was LHed or not, but what about Brad Hawpe?

Hondo
01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
I would like the Team to Sign LF Johnny Damon and give him the Lead Off spot... putting Phillipsm #2...

Damon helped the Rays make the playoffs last year and is a Winner where ever he goes...

With Luke Scott just signing for 5 Million... Damon might be had for 3-4 Million and IMO, would be a great addistion in the Lineup and Clubhouse...

Tadasimha
01-12-2012, 10:15 PM
I would like the Team to Sign LF Johnny Damon and give him the Lead Off spot... putting Phillipsm #2...

Damon helped the Rays make the playoffs last year and is a Winner where ever he goes...

With Luke Scott just signing for 5 Million... Damon might be had for 3-4 Million and IMO, would be a great addistion in the Lineup and Clubhouse...

Damon played a total of 17 games in the field last season. The rest of the season he was a DH solely. His fielding percentages have been on a steady decline since the 07 season. He's too old to be even in a platoon in the outfield.

Cody Ross hits lefties better than rights (while Heisey is the opposite), can play all three outfield positions and has been clutch in the post-season for Giants.

NCCardfan
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Ha ha..... never occurred to me to spell his name with a ck at the end. Thanks for the correction!:laugh:

No problem, hope it didn't sound too smart alek - didn't mean it that way.

Luddy has been in decline since his trade to SD from STL. The Reds need a LH OF and NOT Damon. JMHO

NorrisHopper30
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM

2 lefties is enough. Get best available.

R_Webb18
01-13-2012, 03:45 AM
tbh with the fielding talk are people going little overboard with that talk? im not saying you should sign this guy. but for example almost every position has a good glove. out of every team how many teams have great gloves at every spot? also the reds park is small.

jhu1321
01-13-2012, 09:39 AM
The person getting the least amount of backlash from Reds fans seems to be Fukudome (probably spelled wrong as well)! Maybe Walt has something up his sleeve that hasn't been considered yet?? Wouldn't put it past him.......

Gary Redus
01-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Fukudome should be the guy. Gets on base, works the count, experience at the top of the order.

izzy's dad
01-13-2012, 10:39 AM
My two picks for left (splitting time with Heisey) would be Fukodome, and Ludwick. Ludwick has more pop, and has the potential to drive in more runs, Fukodome will get on base at a higher rate. So it comes down to what you think is more valuable. I value getting on base more than I do above average power. I think Fukodome at the top of the order allows Phillips to drop to the #2 spot, giving Votto more chances to drive in runs. Ludwick I assume would hit in the #4 spot in the order. Hitting in between Votto, and Bruce I think he would see better pitches. Defense is not that important in left field, so sticking either in left wouldn't be a problem I don't think. Either way the Reds decide to go I will be happy.

alett12
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Personally i'm not a big fan of having guys who are stuck in 1 position, so the idea of ludwick drives me nuts i would much rather have a willie harris or Fukudome who can play around the outfield not just in left.

jhu1321
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Personally i'm not a big fan of having guys who are stuck in 1 position, so the idea of ludwick drives me nuts i would much rather have a willie harris or Fukudome who can play around the outfield not just in left.

Good point!

code
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
I want to sign Fukudome so it sounds like I'm cussing at the ballpark and in reality just saying his name.

americanoutlaw1
01-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Beethoven? Pretty sure he's dead... Pretty sure he never played baseball either. Could make for some kick ass walk out music I guess

IamRV
01-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Wilson Betemit should be a guy we sign. An inexpensive switch-hitter that hits for average and can play 1b, 2b, 3b & LF. He doesn't fill the need for a cleanup hitter but I expect Dusty to play Rolen/Francisco there.

malcontent
01-13-2012, 09:12 PM
No, they don't.

90% of this forum would be fine with having 2 LHH on the roster.

dMaus14
01-13-2012, 11:10 PM
The problem with signing a LH bat is that obviously that would mean Votto and Bruce would hit 3-4 then. Now granted that wouldn't matter much innings 1-5 but once it gets to inning 6 and beyond the percentages come into play. Yes, having Votto hit 3 hole is like having a RH hitter but back to back LH hitters allows a LOOGY to pitch to both, walk Votto and deal with Bruce's .240 AVG against leftys, who struck out 1/3 of the time against leftys! I agree we need some sort of LH hitter but we need a RH power bat to break up Votto and Bruce. Just my thought!

IamRV
01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
The problem with signing a LH bat is that obviously that would mean Votto and Bruce would hit 3-4 then. Now granted that wouldn't matter much innings 1-5 but once it gets to inning 6 and beyond the percentages come into play. Yes, having Votto hit 3 hole is like having a RH hitter but back to back LH hitters allows a LOOGY to pitch to both, walk Votto and deal with Bruce's .240 AVG against leftys, who struck out 1/3 of the time against leftys! I agree we need some sort of LH hitter but we need a RH power bat to break up Votto and Bruce. Just my thought!

I see no problem with lining up 3 or even 4 LHB in a row if one or two of them can be subbed for in later innings when a LOOGY comes in. I don't get this hesitancy for a lineup like this. Why wouldn't you want to get guys in the lineup that hit well against SRHP since that is what we see 90% of the time? Isn't the idea to score runs, get ahead and cause the other team to dip into the pen early? If that's the case, who cares when they run a LHP out there against Joey, Juan and Jay? Joey hit leftys well, Juan can be subbed for by Rolen and then you just take your chances with Jay. If it goes that far then run Stubbs out there who tears up LHP and would serve as a good defensive replacement in the latter innings anyway.

Given the current makeup of the team when we face RHP the lineup should be:

2B Phillips
CF Heisey
1B Votto
3B Francisco
RF Bruce
LF Someone who can hit RHP like Fukedome or Betemit
C Hanigan/Mesoraco
SS Cozart

This lineup would score some runs consistently.

malcontent
01-14-2012, 11:44 PM
If they sign Fukudome and actually give Francisco a real shot at 3B, instead of relying on Rolen (who's finished, IMO), I could see a decent offense.

I still hate the Latos trade, but getting Marshall and Madson seem like positive moves.

I'd rather see Marshall given a shot as a starter (if he was interested) to maximize his acquisition. I've got no faith in Chapman as a starter. I can see him being wilder than Volquez, never going deeper than 5 innings. He should be a set-up guy, IMO. Hope I'm wrong.

IamRV
01-15-2012, 02:10 PM
Should have said:

If it goes that far and they get to the next LHB (if we have one) then run Stubbs out there who tears up LHP and would serve as a good defensive replacement in the latter innings anyway.

[deleted]
01-15-2012, 03:21 PM
I understand the need for another LH bat, but that's where Heisey seems to throw a wrench in things. His career split against RHP is .288/.346/.539 while his slash vs. LHP is a meager .180/.248/.300. Granted, this is all in about 530 PA so the sample size may be too small (although that is around a full season). Basically, if you trust these splits and believe Heisey to be that rare righty who prefers righties, does that make you question going out and getting a guy like Seth Smith, who posts similar tendencies?

Or maybe the whole "opposite-sides-of-a-coin" platoon situation is overstated and you acquire Smith anyway because he is, after all, the best option said to be available.

I'm on my phone right now and Internet browsing is a pain, but does any know / can anyone look up Hiesey's minor league splits?

malcontent
01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
;2524979']

I'm on my phone right now and Internet browsing is a pain, but does any know / can anyone look up Hiesey's minor league splits?

Someone here presented his minor league splits, and they were typical for a RHH.

So these reverse splits we've been seeing with the Reds will probably end this season if he's the regular LF.

This team was very weak against RH pitching last year.

IMO, the Reds really need a LHH LF, and Francisco at 3B.

Another LHH or SH on the bench wouldn't hurt, either. But I doubt that's going to happen.