PDA

View Full Version : Team Captain

bigredmechanism
01-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Kind of a stupid thought, but here goes.

If the Reds were to name a team captain, who would it be?

I am guessing it would be Phillips. Not that this action would be in any way needed; teams get on just fine without a stated captain all the time. However, I feel like it could have some type of impact on the extension talks with Phillips. We have seen the guy mature and change a bit since he's gotten here. I feel like he really wants to be a team leader, and that the recognition by the organization would mean a ton to him.

Not that I feel like his ego needs to be coddled, but it would be a nice token of appreciation to him to sew a C on his uni. We're trying to make a playoff run this season with a very young core, and his value goes beyond the field (he seems to keep things loose in the clubhouse) in helping this unit mesh together. The man has done everything within his ability to be a good team player, IMO.

Sometimes it's the thought that counts.

jhu1321
01-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Not sure with his contract situation in flux......

UPRedsFan
01-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Great team player, great community guy. Not captain material.

It's Rolen hands down, if a captain is to be named.

webbbj
01-12-2012, 09:47 PM
jay bruce. hes a player of the now and future of this organization.

mroby85
01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
I don't think they have anyone that is captain material on this team. I think to be a captain you need to be the annual all-star type, along with being a vocal leader as well as leading by example. Votto fits 2 of those 3, but I think he's too backward/quiet to be a good captain. If I had to pick one I would go with Joey Votto, he's obviously the leader of this team, and from what i've heard has a ridiculou work ethic to go along with the talent.

alett12
01-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Bruce or votto at this point if you ask me

Red in Atl
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
I only know of Rose and Larkin as Captains. With today's FA, etc. I think it would be hard to name a Captain. That said, I think BP gets it only if he signs a LTC. Then I'd give it one more year without before naming him.

jmt5887
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
Dusty Baker won't name a captain. We'd need a different manager to name a team captain and unless your someone like Derek Jeter there simply is no captains in baseball due to FA.

alett12
01-13-2012, 02:07 PM
Dusty Baker won't name a captain. We'd need a different manager to name a team captain and unless your someone like Derek Jeter there simply is no captains in baseball due to FA.

the only reason i'm not for phillips being named a captain would be that they usually come up through the orginazation like larkin did, and bench before him. Considering that i think the only two guys on the reds that quallify are bruce and votto. Hanagin doesnt count because he splits time and Stubbs hasnt done anything to earn it yet.

dougflynn23
01-15-2012, 01:03 PM
the only reason i'm not for phillips being named a captain would be that they usually come up through the orginazation like larkin did, and bench before him. Considering that i think the only two guys on the reds that quallify are bruce and votto. Hanagin doesnt count because he splits time and Stubbs hasnt done anything to earn it yet. Johnny Bench was never a Reds team captain. He was not a leader in the locker room and had no use for younger players. It went from Pete to Dave Concepcion to Barry Larkin.

jwmann2
01-15-2012, 03:20 PM
At the moment, Rolen. In the future, Jay Bruce.
Historically, on the field, the catcher is the leader of the bunch and on the occasion, the short stop. The catcher is involved on every single play.

redsfanmia
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
For all we know Paul Janish is the best leader on the team.

Captain13
01-16-2012, 08:44 PM
I think with a long term deal, any of the three; Bruce, Phillips or Votto would work as Captain, but I would not be in any hurry to name a Captain. The Reds have only three Captains in their history, and nobody on this team has the history and performance of Rose, Concepcion (Captain13), or Larkin.