PDA

View Full Version : Juan Pierre?

jhu1321
01-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm probably missing something but isn't Juan Pierre a free agent right now? I've heard nothing about him but his numbers seem pretty good and he's only 34 with high OBP and average. Could fill the leadoff hole we have and doesn't strike out much.

The DARK
01-13-2012, 01:56 PM
A year ago, he'd have been a great choice. Last season, his steals (his calling card) dropped off significantly. He may not be incredibly old yet, but speed is one of the first things to go. Don't be too enticed by that OBP either; it's only .008% points higher than Stubbs. He provided 0.0 WAR last year, and that's not too hot for a guy on the downward curve. Even in a market this bad, I think we can do better.

brad1176
01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
There's been no love for Juan on here. I think the big knock on him would be money, other than that he would be great in Cincy. The best protection for Votto is people getting on base, teams usually don't walk a runner into scoring position. If we get a LF bat, I want him to get on base.

jhu1321
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
There's been no love for Juan on here. I think the big knock on him would be money, other than that he would be great in Cincy. The best protection for Votto is people getting on base, teams usually don't walk a runner into scoring position. If we get a LF bat, I want him to get on base.

I wonder if we could get him on the cheap since there doesn't seem to be much interest him anywhere? Doesn't he offer more help to this team than Fukudome or LudwiCK?

brad1176
01-13-2012, 02:08 PM
You have to define 'cheap'. He made 8.5 million last year, even at half we're still talking 4 million. I don't think the FO will do that, from what I'm reading they want a backup to Heisey which means guys in the 500k to 2 million range. Yes, I think he would be much more help than Ludwick, Young, Manny, Ankiel, etc. but his price will keep him out.

alett12
01-13-2012, 02:41 PM
My only concern would be that he would turn into this years man crush of dusty. I wouldnt mind it if he was a backup id be all for it.

brad1176
01-13-2012, 02:51 PM
There is always that, Dusty loves the veterans...

alett12
01-13-2012, 03:03 PM
yeah that alone worries me. That worries me with any outfielder they bring in unless it is Amezanga or willie harris

jwmann2
01-15-2012, 05:00 AM
Sometime I wish we could have gotten the left field thing solved with the Votto-Bautista trade and put Yonder at first. Doesn't always work like that.

Pierre is 34 and has lost a step. Look at his stolen bases numbers. Great everyday player just not what this team needs.

dougflynn23
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
I would really like to see Ryan Ludwick as a Red.