PDA

View Full Version : Madsen and Confidence = deal with Cincy

Brisco
01-13-2012, 12:47 PM
IF the rumors of the 4 year 44 million deal that was bandied about with Philly are anything close to true, the I simply refuse to believe that the best deal Boras could find for Madsen was a 6 million offer from Cincy.

My guess is that Madsen targetted the Reds and was willing to leave a lot of money on the table in order to play here. Sometimes, it is not all about the bird in the hand when it comes to money.

Think about it... if you are a closer who thinks you are the best (and you want a LTC that reflects that), the only way to prove it is to get a ton of saves. That means you are looking for a team with a the following:

1. A strong rotation. With the addittion of Latos, we are now defintely approaching top tier.... but more importantly,
2. A rotation not known for complete games. We have a bunch of guys that can go 7, and that means you also want
3. Dependable set up men that will protect leads in the 8th inning and we now have the very best in baseball in Marshall, but you also want
4. A team that plays excellent defense... you do not want to have any outs given away in the 9th and even unearned runs still cause blown saves, but you will also need
5. A manager that users a closer just about every time he can no matter what (Dusty) and finally
6. A team with a dependable but not blowout stlye offense. We are not a team that scores more than 6 all that often, we have morphed from the boom or bust era of the Griffey/Dunn offense to one that is consistently in the 3-6 run range.

I do not think any other team is such a perfect setup for a closer looking for the best opportunity to strut his stuff. I think Madsen plans on getting 45+ saves this year and securing that huge paycheck next year.

brad1176
01-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Great post, I agree completely. When the big deals didn't happen Boras targeted Cincy.

brm7675
01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I think if Madsen is smart he fires his agent...

brad1176
01-13-2012, 01:33 PM
I think if Madsen is smart he fires his agent...

Yep, I think Boras cost Madson several million dollars. It's good for the Reds though! :D

alett12
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Great post i agree totally except can we please learn to spell? it's Madson. there is no e.

Brisco
01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Great post i agree totally except can we please learn to spell? it's Madson. there is no e.

I do not post often... but have I done something to offend you in the past?

If so, I apologize.

If not, what is the reason for such a childish manner in which to point out a spelling error in someone's name?

"...learn to spell..." Really?

Next time try something a bit more courteous like... "I think he actually spells his name Madson rather than Madsen."

Red in Atl
01-16-2012, 12:03 PM

You are correct about the spelling, but could we please learn how to capitalize? It's "I" not "i".

;)

TuneSquad
01-16-2012, 12:53 PM
As much I would like to believe your theory, I have a hard time doing so. Phillies execs said that the 4 yr $44 mill deal that they "reached" was never true, and to me it is kind of easy to see that Boras just wanted to stir the pot a little. That list you compiled is fairly elaborate, and to be honest... The brutal truth is that very rarely do you see guys take paycuts to play somewhere, no matter who it is. 2 main things motivate players these days, and that is $$$ and team contention.

brad1176
01-16-2012, 05:59 PM
It could be that the 4 yr 44 million contract was verbally agreed too, Boras blabbed it everywhere, and Amaro pulled it because of that. The fact is we have no idea what happened there. All we do have are the facts which are the big spenders either had a closer, couldn't spend anymore on a closer, or traded for one to keep from spending more money. When things dried up, Boras went to Walt or vice versa.

bigredmechanism
01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
IF the rumors of the 4 year 44 million deal that was bandied about with Philly are anything close to true, the I simply refuse to believe that the best deal Boras could find for Madsen was a 6 million offer from Cincy.

My guess is that Madsen targetted the Reds and was willing to leave a lot of money on the table in order to play here. Sometimes, it is not all about the bird in the hand when it comes to money.

Think about it... if you are a closer who thinks you are the best (and you want a LTC that reflects that), the only way to prove it is to get a ton of saves. That means you are looking for a team with a the following:

1. A strong rotation. With the addittion of Latos, we are now defintely approaching top tier.... but more importantly,
2. A rotation not known for complete games. We have a bunch of guys that can go 7, and that means you also want
3. Dependable set up men that will protect leads in the 8th inning and we now have the very best in baseball in Marshall, but you also want
4. A team that plays excellent defense... you do not want to have any outs given away in the 9th and even unearned runs still cause blown saves, but you will also need
5. A manager that users a closer just about every time he can no matter what (Dusty) and finally
6. A team with a dependable but not blowout stlye offense. We are not a team that scores more than 6 all that often, we have morphed from the boom or bust era of the Griffey/Dunn offense to one that is consistently in the 3-6 run range.

I do not think any other team is such a perfect setup for a closer looking for the best opportunity to strut his stuff. I think Madsen plans on getting 45+ saves this year and securing that huge paycheck next year.

Excellent post. I hadn't thought of it like this, I am guessing because I am hardwired into not thinking the Reds are a contender. It really is a good team for save opportunities, especially with Marshall coming in infront of him.

bcmachine
01-20-2012, 02:31 PM
It's official:

@Reds
Reds
#Reds, RHP Ryan Madson agree to terms on 1-year contract through the 2012 season with a mutual option for 2013.

Reds
01-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Madson, 31, is guaranteed $8.5 million while earning $6 million in 2012 with a $2.5 million buyout on the $11 million mutual option for '13. Some of the money in the deal will be deferred.

alett12
01-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Anybody want to make coco an offer on a minor league deal with an invite to spring training?

brad1176
01-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Anybody want to make coco an offer on a minor league deal with an invite to spring training?

Where are those 'deals' from multiple teams his agent was talking about before the Reds signed Madson? I figured ol' Coco would've taken one of those by now.....