PDA

View Full Version : 2011-2012 NHL discussion

MikeThierry
01-13-2012, 07:59 PM
I didn't see a thread on here. Discuss away!

Joseph
01-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Great game today between my Blackhawks and the accursed Red Wings. The Western Conference is super tight, even the Blues were on top for a little while. The Central division is the best hockey out there in my opinion. Only the Blue Jackets are out of it, every one else, even the Predators, have a shot.

MikeThierry
01-19-2012, 06:23 PM
Great game today between my Blackhawks and the accursed Red Wings. The Western Conference is super tight, even the Blues were on top for a little while. The Central division is the best hockey out there in my opinion. Only the Blue Jackets are out of it, every one else, even the Predators, have a shot.

This town (St. Louis) is going nuts over the Blues right now. St. Louis has always been a passionate, and frankly underrated, fan base in the NHL. However, it's getting to the point now where it's become wildly popular again as they were in the 90's when they were the only game in town because the Cards sucked and the Rams were the Rams. They are an exciting and dominant team at home right now.

I would actually make the argument that the Western Conference in the NHL is the toughest conference in all North American sports. Earlier this week, the Blues were on top or tied for the top in the West. They have a day off and later that night they drop to 5th place. It's absolutely nuts how tight the Western Conference and the Central is. This sets up for some of the most exciting playoffs in a while. Chicago vs. Detroit vs. Blues.... I remember back in the day where when the Blues and Chicago matched up, you wouldn't be surprised if there were litterally players admitted to hospitals after games due to the physical craziness of those games. I still feel heartbreak from all those playoff series in the 90's where those stinking Red Wings would defeat my Blues in crushing fashion (thank you Stevie Y you $&%#!!).

Joseph
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
I'd agree. Toughest in sports right now. Two games the Hawks go from best in hockey to 4th in the conference. Thats tight.

MikeThierry
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
I'd agree. Toughest in sports right now. Two games the Hawks go from best in hockey to 4th in the conference. Thats tight.

Do you think the Hawks do anything to do to address their defense?

I know the Blues are in a wait and see approach to see if the Blues offense can improve once Steen and McDonald comes back. They do have the prospects to move for a top line scorer, I just don't know if they will give up Vladimir Tarasenko or Schwartz for someone that will help them right now.

Patrick Bateman
01-31-2012, 02:39 PM
I think the Hawks will add a defensive defensemen like a Hal Gill, Bryan Allen, Andy Sutton, etc. There isn't much out there right now with Gleasson and Beachemin off the market. Those guys aren't great, but would be upgrades over O'Donnell/Lepisto/Scott, and would allow Leddy to be moved out of a defensive spot in some situations.

I'm more interested in what they will do with the goaltending, which I see as their biggest issue. I'd like them to add Josh Harding for the remainder of the season to pair with Crawford and go with the hot hand.

Joseph
01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I agree with Patrick, they will add someone. Leddy has a bright bright future, but right now he really needs to be on the 3rd pairing. Just the last game against Nashville he really gave up the two early goals that ultimately decided the game.

The Blues are really scary since Hitchcock took over. It's like they started really playing hockey, a light came on, whatever you want to say. Both teams [Hawks and Blues] could use another top 6 forward and a D-man.

MikeThierry
02-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I agree with Patrick, they will add someone. Leddy has a bright bright future, but right now he really needs to be on the 3rd pairing. Just the last game against Nashville he really gave up the two early goals that ultimately decided the game.

The Blues are really scary since Hitchcock took over. It's like they started really playing hockey, a light came on, whatever you want to say. Both teams [Hawks and Blues] could use another top 6 forward and a D-man.

I think the Blues are set on defense. They have the best defense in the Western Conference and allow the fewest shots on goals per game. That is probably one of the reasons why Elliot and Halak are having a great season.

The problem they have is scoring. Now that should improve with Steen and McDonald coming back but they desperately need it. The problem is that they are financially strapped for cash and their ownership is in limbo. They have the prospects to get a top 6 foward but I don't know if they will pull the trigger because of the salary of some of the forwards that are out there.

Joseph
02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
You know one thing that annoys me about hockey is how there aren't the same rumors as baseball. I mean you hear a little bit if you want to dig, but its not like MLB where you know there are a guys definitely getting traded.

MikeThierry
02-09-2012, 12:35 PM
You know one thing that annoys me about hockey is how there aren't the same rumors as baseball. I mean you hear a little bit if you want to dig, but its not like MLB where you know there are a guys definitely getting traded.

It seems that with NHL rumors, people just throw stuff up against the wall. Like I could propose a trade in a random blog where it would send Ben Bishop, Patrik Burglund, and a 1st round draft pick to NJ to get Parise and people would think that it is a real trade that is going to happen.

I think part of it has to do with the lack of national media coverage. Even though the NHL is slowly becoming more popular and the line between the NHL and NBA popularity is blurring as time goes on, ESPN treats the NHL like a red headed step child. That is one of the reasons why I praise the NBC Sports network. They are objective in their coverage and do an excellent job (in my opinion) being balanced. Still, until NHL becomes as covered as the NBA or any other sport, random blogs are going to be in the front page of NHL coverage that we get, unfortunatelly.

Joseph
02-11-2012, 11:15 PM
I think you might be right. The few sites that discuss rumors at all do really seem to be speculative at best. I think everyone knows my Hawks need a goalie so its not really a stretch to say thats what they are looking for.

By the by, could you remove the anchor you've tied around their ankle so they stop this losing streak please?

MikeThierry
02-14-2012, 09:13 AM
I think you might be right. The few sites that discuss rumors at all do really seem to be speculative at best. I think everyone knows my Hawks need a goalie so its not really a stretch to say thats what they are looking for.

By the by, could you remove the anchor you've tied around their ankle so they stop this losing streak please?

Well, generally I am happy when a heated rival starts losing but what the Blackhawks are going through is not laughable. What the heck is going on with your team? How did the wheels fall off?

Patrick Bateman
02-14-2012, 10:38 AM
Well, generally I am happy when a heated rival starts losing but what the Blackhawks are going through is not laughable. What the heck is going on with your team? How did the wheels fall off?

This is a better summary than I would have analyzed as to the Hawks issues:

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2012/2/11/2792418/when-two-worlds-collide-ev-pp-and-pk-during-the-skid

The summary is, that although the Blackhawks special teams have been laughably bad (teams are outshooting us on a 3 to 1 basis on special teams!), the Blackhawks are still such an elite even strength team that they would solidly be a playoff team with simply league average goaltending.

In total, the Hawks goaltending is issue #1, 2, and 3. Fix that and Chicago is alive again.

Fixing the PP and PK, will help, although, only marginally in comparison (which is saying a lot because the special teams have been realllllly bad). I think that essentially comes down to coaching, you would think the talent is in place. It's just a matter of playing the right strategies and putting the players in situations that fit their strengths.

I just hope the Hawks management is not as stubborn and adverse to change as they have appeared to date...

MikeThierry
02-14-2012, 12:59 PM
This is a better summary than I would have analyzed as to the Hawks issues:

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2012/2/11/2792418/when-two-worlds-collide-ev-pp-and-pk-during-the-skid

The summary is, that although the Blackhawks special teams have been laughably bad (teams are outshooting us on a 3 to 1 basis on special teams!), the Blackhawks are still such an elite even strength team that they would solidly be a playoff team with simply league average goaltending.

In total, the Hawks goaltending is issue #1, 2, and 3. Fix that and Chicago is alive again.

Fixing the PP and PK, will help, although, only marginally in comparison (which is saying a lot because the special teams have been realllllly bad). I think that essentially comes down to coaching, you would think the talent is in place. It's just a matter of playing the right strategies and putting the players in situations that fit their strengths.

I just hope the Hawks management is not as stubborn and adverse to change as they have appeared to date...

You know what though, I think teams can survive with bad Powerplay. The Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup last year with the worst power play or close to the worst PP in the league. The Blues have arguably the worst power play in the league right now but they are dominating teams on a nightly basis with 5 on 5 play. They have only lost 3 regulation games at home this season.

Penalty killing is another issue. That has to be lock down for any team to survive in my opinion. Looking at those numbers the past couple of games, it's almost unfathomable how many shots the Hawks give up on the PK. It's almost shocking that they gave up 17 shots against Calgary on the PK alone. To me, that tells me that the defense is not putting in the work effort (maybe a captain obvious moment for me,lol).

What goalies do you think the Hawks could go get? The Blues will not move their goalies because they have it really good right now. Halak, for example, has 5 shutouts in his last 10 games. I can't think of a lot of places where they were willing to give up goalies because goaltending is at a premium right now.

On another note, I have a question since you guys live in Ohio. How would a Winter Classic between Detroit and Columbus play out? I had a debate with someone the other day about this. I was basically of the opinion that the matchup would not move the dial from a national perspective. The person I was debating with said the NHL could market it like a Michigan/The Ohio State type game and that it would be a huge ratings success. I just don't see it but I could be wrong.

westofyou
02-14-2012, 09:58 PM
Special teams and puck control, aside from goalie the game revolves around those tenets.

It's a game that depends on mistakes to create opportunities, lame power plays are a death knell in the post season, you can't win if you don't take advantage of opportunities.

As for a winter classic with the Jackets I don't see it, the Jackets have no cache to the league, the Wings would lobby for a original six team for sure, that's how it would play out. The league needs big names in the biggest non title game they can boast of, the strike wasn't that long ago.

Oh and look the Wings just won their 21st game at home in a row, sweet... Doesn't excuse the Dead Wings era, but it lessens the sting

MikeThierry
02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
God I hate the Red Wings, lol

Joseph
02-15-2012, 08:16 PM
God I hate the Red Wings, lol

And most Wings fans love that. lol

Visited Nashville last night for a matchup of my Hawks and those pesky Predators. I'd complain about their celebrations there, but I'll save that for some other time.

I don't even want to get into what is wrong with the Hawks. I saw a great effort last night. Emery had his problems, and was a bit lucky, but the effort was there fully for the first time in a while. I hope Nabakov is coming to the windy city, or hell even Khabibulin again. We need a goalie in the worst way.

MikeThierry
02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
And most Wings fans love that. lol

Visited Nashville last night for a matchup of my Hawks and those pesky Predators. I'd complain about their celebrations there, but I'll save that for some other time.

I don't even want to get into what is wrong with the Hawks. I saw a great effort last night. Emery had his problems, and was a bit lucky, but the effort was there fully for the first time in a while. I hope Nabakov is coming to the windy city, or hell even Khabibulin again. We need a goalie in the worst way.

How do they celebrate?

Joseph
02-16-2012, 05:37 PM
The problem with their celebration is two-fold for me. First off it borders [and in some parts surpasses] being unintelligible. Secondly its a little too....cliche [at least whats understandable].

I'll start with the latter and then work to the former. Its Nashville, TN. Country music city USA. The obvious thing to do, in my mind, is get a highly popular country music artist [and by that I mean a generic, bland, machine created redneck pop star, don't get me wrong, I love country music, just not the drivel that typically comes from Nashville.] They did that, Tim McGraw. They use his song 'I like it, I love it'. He even did a video in Predators gear for this that plays on the jumbo-tron/megatron when they score. The problem with that is, the video looks like it was shot by a high school AV club. Tim McGraws participation is either A) community service, or B) nothing more than cashing a check. I have never ever seen someone less into something than him in that video. So theres that, which is bad enough in its own right, but wait, theres more....

After they play that they jump [haphazardly] into Rock n Roll by Gary Glitter. Again a rather cliche thing to do in my opinion. The fans however chant 'You suck' in time with the song, but then as it goes into a bridge portion they chant something else that I can not for the life of me understand. I have to think that if this is somehow meant to 'get under the skin' of the opposing team, shouldn't they at least KNOW what you are chanting at them. I mean 'you suck' is all well and good, but the latter part seems to go on for 10 seconds or so and I just can't seem to decipher it. I'm sure I could look it up, its online somewhere I'm more than certain, but I can't be bothered.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy hockey is becoming entrenched in Trashville, but they've got to step up their game on the fan interaction side of things. I mean Columbus is alright, a canon fire, some ACDC, it works, why can't the Predators get it right?

Obviously only my opinion, I'm sure no one cares, but its fun discussion. Besides, my teams playing so well there's nothing else I could complain about right?

MikeThierry
02-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Ahh... I can see where that is annoying. For one, Gary Glitter is way overplayed. I think a lot of new teams do this kind of stuff though. I don't know maybe they are trying to appeal to the fan base but nothing is original. I can think of a number of celebrations league wide that are the same for multiple teams. However, celebrations like they have in Chicago and St. Louis are both original and unique to the fan base. Take for example the Blues celebration:

2008-09 St Louis Blues Goal Horn - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEEfwK3nsrI)

This has been around since the Blues came into existence in 1967. It hasn't changed with the times and it's one of the more traditional hockey celebrations in the NHL. I'll take that any day over Gary Glitter and any number of techno style music.

Joseph
02-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Excellent and indeed old school.

Did you see the great one sided fight from todays Hawks vs Jackets game? John Scott vs Derrick Dorsett.

Reds/Flyers Fan
02-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Can't wait to see my Avs next Friday night in Columbus. I won't be hard to spot: I'll be in the white Peter Forsberg jersey enjoying some Colorado beers before, during and after the game.

Joseph
02-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Great game today between the Blackhawks and Blues. Good to see both teams play well and play hard. The game needs rivalries like this.

MikeThierry
02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Great game today between the Blackhawks and Blues. Good to see both teams play well and play hard. The game needs rivalries like this.

I was completely disappointed by that game, from a Blues fans standpoint. It's not that they lost, it's how they lost (not talking about the fluky, lucky goal on the part of Chicago). It was a completely gutless and heartless performance by the majority of our forwards in the second half. It angers me as a fan to see guys like Chris Stewart and Patrick Burgland being pushed off the puck so easily. Guys that big should not be bullied around. Even TJ Oshie was having a bad day.

I've come to the conclusion that Chris Stewart is Alex Semin lite. I just don't know what this guy's motivation is. He has all the talent in the world but plays, on most days, at half effort. Take that breakout he had yesterday for example. Instead of shooting that puck with purpose, he sort of just throws it at the net almost nonchalantly. That play right there is a microcosm of his season thus far. I can see now why the Avs wanted to trade him. The good thing about that deal is Kevin Shattenkirk is an absolute beast on the defensive end so the Blues still ended up on the positive end of the deal.

The Blues really need to play consistent on the road before I can consider them an elite team and team that will go deep in the playoffs. They are impossible to beat at home but have too many off periods on the road. The bottom line is if the Blues do not get home field advantage in the playoffs, they aren't going to advance far.

Oh by the way... Alex Pietrangelo is the best defenseman nobody knows about, lol.

izzy's dad
02-20-2012, 01:09 PM
I am a Jackets fan, so I have nothing good to say about this season. But it looks like the Blue Jackets could be going into full rebuilding mode by trading Nash, Carter, Vermette, etc. Trading Rick Nash could be this franchises last ditch effort to build a winner before the NHL moves the team.

timmario66
02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
I am a Jackets fan, so I have nothing good to say about this season. But it looks like the Blue Jackets could be going into full rebuilding mode by trading Nash, Carter, Vermette, etc. Trading Rick Nash could be this franchises last ditch effort to build a winner before the NHL moves the team.

They have a new lease agreement that will save them tons of money. Their attendance is up despite being horrific. They are not going anywhere.

izzy's dad
02-20-2012, 11:15 PM
They have a new lease agreement that will save them tons of money. Their attendance is up despite being horrific. They are not going anywhere.

That is reassuring, I hadn't heard that. But they still need to blow this thing up and rebuild. And by blow it up I mean from the top down. I don't care if the Jackets roll out Ron Tugnutt and Tyler right again, this team needs to strip down to the bare bones and do it right.

Reds/Flyers Fan
02-21-2012, 12:05 AM

I'm not sure they should have ever been placed in Columbus in the first place. That's a college sports town if ever there was one - and that ain't ever changing. The BJ's (just an brutal name, by the way ... what were they thinking?) tried to become Ohio's team but they're barely Columbus' team. The number of people in Dayton, Cleveland, Akron and Cincinnati that follow the Jackets is equivalent to the number of people in those cities who believe in the Loch Ness monster or the abominable snowman. As a person who frequents bars in both Cincy and Dayton, I can't tell you when the last time I saw the BJ's on the big screens was. And if they're playing Colorado (who I follow), I always have to request the game be put on and even then it's always on a small TV in the corner.

Great arena, embarrassment of a franchise. Move the team to Toronto (second team there) and be done with it.

MikeThierry
02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure they should have ever been placed in Columbus in the first place. That's a college sports town if ever there was one - and that ain't ever changing. The BJ's (just an brutal name, by the way ... what were they thinking?) tried to become Ohio's team but they're barely Columbus' team. The number of people in Dayton, Cleveland, Akron and Cincinnati that follow the Jackets is equivalent to the number of people in those cities who believe in the Loch Ness monster or the abominable snowman. As a person who frequents bars in both Cincy and Dayton, I can't tell you when the last time I saw the BJ's on the big screens was. And if they're playing Colorado (who I follow), I always have to request the game be put on and even then it's always on a small TV in the corner.

Great arena, embarrassment of a franchise. Move the team to Toronto (second team there) and be done with it.

Do you think an NHL team would have been successful if it was originally placed in Cincy? Columbus seemed like a head scratcher at the time.

Reds/Flyers Fan
02-22-2012, 02:51 AM
Do you think an NHL team would have been successful if it was originally placed in Cincy? Columbus seemed like a head scratcher at the time.

The NHL is a strange thing to try to predict in the U.S. But I do think that Cincinnati would have been a better choice than Columbus (bigger metro; access to Dayton/Lexington/Louisville/Indy; less of an obsessed college town, etc.). The team would have had to win here, of course. If the BJ's would have moved to Cincy and proceeded to be the disaster that they have been in Columbus, they would have failed here too.

I can tell you this: The Blue Jackets are completely irrelevant in Ohio (outside of Columbus). And I don't think the powers-that-be accounted for that indifference. It's a shame really ... a state as populated as Ohio deserved a better shot at the NHL than Columbus. Cleveland has the NBA, Cincy should have got the NHL.

westofyou
02-22-2012, 07:45 AM

No, I don't

They love minor league hockey, but the cost plays in to how much they love it too, in short not enough of a hockey town to pay NHL prices would be my
Guess, I had seaon tickets to the Stingers in the 70s, and even then it was a hard sale as a game, Cincinnati is a huge college basketball town first in the winter, the interest isn't there too much in big time hockey.

That said I still think Columbus is not a hockey town either

Reds/Flyers Fan
02-22-2012, 01:26 PM
No, I don't

They love minor league hockey, but the cost plays in to how much they love it too, in short not enough of a hockey town to pay NHL prices would be my
Guess, I had seaon tickets to the Stingers in the 70s, and even then it was a hard sale as a game, Cincinnati is a huge college basketball town first in the winter, the interest isn't there too much in big time hockey.

That said I still think Columbus is not a hockey town either

The miserable home venues for the Stingers and the other minor-league teams in Cincinnati over the years plays a role in keeping attendance down.

US Bank Arena, particularly before The Banks, was an island in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do before or after games. Add in the long walks from riverfront surface lots at the time and it's no wonder people didn't go there to watch hockey. Heck, even when UC played there people stayed away. It's just a lousy venue.

And the Gardens is even worse. Way, way past its prime, it's located in a hard-to-get to part of the city, the parking situation is brutal, and the venue inside just isn't somewhere you want to be.

Give Cincinnati a palace like Nationwide Arena in Columbus and I think people would come. This is a corporate town, so the luxury boxes would definitely sell.

Look at most American cities that have the NHL outside of the northeast and Chicago and Minnesota: It's a tough sell if you don't win. Even Detroit, with its wildly successful franchise, has seen attendance slip slightly in recent years. So empty seats at a Cincinnati NHL arena wouldn't be indicative of non-support, it would reflect what we see in most U.S. cities for lackluster teams.

izzy's dad
02-23-2012, 08:16 AM
Yesterday the Blue Jackets traded center Antoine Vermette to the Pheonix Coyotes for a 2nd and 5th pick in this draft and a minor league goalie. Not a blockbuster by any stretch, but could be the start of the rebuilding process.

I don't think Columbus was a hockey town to start, but it is moving that way. While it will never compete with Ohio State Football, it is clearly the #2 sport, even ahead of OSU mens basketball. The arena may be a big part of that draw, but the Jackets do have a growing fan base. I had worried that the NHL would move the team up north due to the teams lack of success. Attendance is better than a lot of teams, teams that are competitive. But the recent performance of the team has caused attendance to shink a bit. If the Jackets play their cards right with this rebuilding phase, they could build a really good young team. If they don't play their cards right... they could lose the fans. I have lived in both Cincy and Columbus, and in my opinion Columbus is the much better "hockey town."

MikeThierry
02-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Yesterday the Blue Jackets traded center Antoine Vermette to the Pheonix Coyotes for a 2nd and 5th pick in this draft and a minor league goalie. Not a blockbuster by any stretch, but could be the start of the rebuilding process.

I don't think Columbus was a hockey town to start, but it is moving that way. While it will never compete with Ohio State Football, it is clearly the #2 sport, even ahead of OSU mens basketball. The arena may be a big part of that draw, but the Jackets do have a growing fan base. I had worried that the NHL would move the team up north due to the teams lack of success. Attendance is better than a lot of teams, teams that are competitive. But the recent performance of the team has caused attendance to shink a bit. If the Jackets play their cards right with this rebuilding phase, they could build a really good young team. If they don't play their cards right... they could lose the fans. I have lived in both Cincy and Columbus, and in my opinion Columbus is the much better "hockey town."

I don't know what the NHL's policy towards moving teams is, really. Gary Bettman and his overall "genius" nature is all over the map on this issue. They will fight tooth and nail to keep a franchise in Phoenix with no little fan base. Yet Blues fans, who are one of the more loyal fan bases in the NHL, are pulling hair out of their head at the constant struggle for any ownership stability. Gary Bettman might be more incompetent than Bud Selig.

izzy's dad
02-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Also in Blue Jackets/NHL news the Jackets have traded center Jeff "whiny pants" Carter to the L.A. Kings for Defenseman Jack Johnson and a 1st round pick. R.J. Umberger or Rick Nash may be the next shoe to drop.

MikeThierry
02-24-2012, 01:39 PM
The BJ's made out good on the LA deal.

izzy's dad
02-24-2012, 03:57 PM

I think so. But considering what we gave up to get Carter, we lost big time.

westofyou
02-24-2012, 04:37 PM

Johnson is a stud, stud defense is harder to find than scorers

izzy's dad
02-24-2012, 05:07 PM

For the first time in Columbus Blue Jackets history we have a viable top 2 defensive pairing in Johnson and Wisnewski. Both are Americans by the way, not sure that means anything, but maybe it helps with on ice communication like it did with Tyutin, and Nikitin. Probably affects nothing, just a thought.

Revering4Blue
02-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Sharks eyeing Nash and Carter.

http://www.hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13927

BTW, here's another good stats-oriented hockey site.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/

MikeThierry
02-26-2012, 02:34 PM

So glad that Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk are playing for the Blues, lol. Those two are only 22 but have skills light years above players their age.

Reds/Flyers Fan
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
So glad that Alex Pietrangelo and Kevin Shattenkirk are playing for the Blues, lol. Those two are only 22 but have skills light years above players their age.

While Shattenkirk was a nice player for Colorado, I'm beyond thrilled to have Erik Johnson and Jay McClement, who are playing lights out right now. I was a little leery last year when the trade was made, but both are playing very well. EJ is becoming a dominating player.

Chris Stewart just doesn't seem like he wants to take the next step, unfortunately.

Revering4Blue
02-27-2012, 06:59 PM
According to the New York Post’s Larry Brooks, Glen Sather “lusted” after Rick Nash but failed to convince Scott Howson to accept the Rangers’ final offer.

Columbus GM Scott Howson rejected what is believed a Rangers’ final offer of Dubinsky, 21-year-old defenseman Tim Erixon, 2011 first-rounder J.T. Miller, 2010 second-rounder Christian Thomas and a first-round selection in this June’s Entry Draft.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/heres-what-the-rangers-reportedly-offered-for-rick-nash/

Joseph
02-27-2012, 07:02 PM
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/heres-what-the-rangers-reportedly-offered-for-rick-nash/

If thats the true offer, then Howson should go ahead and be fired now. I know there are no superstar names going back to the Jackets, but they have to build something. That deal would have been a big step in that direction.

MikeThierry
02-28-2012, 01:31 PM
While Shattenkirk was a nice player for Colorado, I'm beyond thrilled to have Erik Johnson and Jay McClement, who are playing lights out right now. I was a little leery last year when the trade was made, but both are playing very well. EJ is becoming a dominating player.

Chris Stewart just doesn't seem like he wants to take the next step, unfortunately.

Kevin Shattenkirk has been absolutely dominant this year with a +22, which is 6th amongst all D-men in the league. He might have been a nice player for Colorado but he is insanely good with the Blues.

izzy's dad
02-28-2012, 01:50 PM
SIGH It must be nice to root for a good team.

Reds/Flyers Fan
02-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Kevin Shattenkirk has been absolutely dominant this year with a +22, which is 6th amongst all D-men in the league. He might have been a nice player for Colorado but he is insanely good with the Blues.

Yes Shattenkirk is having a great season. It'll be interesting to see how this final month shakes out.

Joseph
02-28-2012, 08:03 PM
The Blues, with that goaltending, stand a really good chance to go deep in the playoffs.

izzy's dad
02-29-2012, 07:47 AM
The Blues, with that goaltending, stand a really good chance to go deep in the playoffs.

And lead by Ken Hitchcock, who was fired by Scott Howson. Howson is the biggest moron in the NHL that still has a job.

MikeThierry
02-29-2012, 10:57 AM

I'm really concerned about their scoring. History is against the Blues because it is very rare for a team that isn't in the top 10 scoring to make a deep run and win the Stanley Cup. They also haven't proven to me yet that they can consistently win against good teams on the road.

All that said, the Blues are also something like 5th or 6th in man games lost in the NHL due to injury. To me, it's amazing to see what they are doing considering that they have had at least one of their top 6 forwards out the entire year. At one point they were missing David Perron and Andy McDonald. Both of those players are back now but Alex Steen is out. Steen, I would argue, was their best forward when he got injured and was statistically one of the best two way forwards in the NHL. If the Blues can get Steen back come playoff that, that drastically increases their chances. However, he is dealing with a concussion so his time table is iffy and unknown, unfortunatelly.

The team that truely scares me the most is Nashville. They are a team that is gritty and will leave you bloody nosed. Rinne looks like a mixture of Patrick Roy, Jaques Plante, and Martin Brodeur at times. They got drastically better, in my opinion, in the trade deadline. That is the dark horse team in the Western Conference.

MikeThierry
02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Speaking of the Blues goaltending, it's the first time in NHL history in which two goaltenders on the same team have 6 shutouts or more. Halak has been playing insane since his early struggles.

MikeThierry
02-29-2012, 03:33 PM
Sorry to post again but something is really annoying me looking at the scheduling. Going into tonight and tomorrow, the Blues will be playing their
13th back to back game of the year, the 5th this month. I think you have to look at Detroit as the next closest with 9 back to back games. Who the hell schedules this stuff? Does Gary Bettman hire the equivalent of Lloyd Christmas from Dumb and Dumber and Zach Galifianakis from the Hangover to do the schedule for NHL teams? It's almost like they just throw a dart at a dartboard and schedule teams that way. Half of this scheduling in the NHL doesn't even make any logical sense.

Off my soapbox. :)

Joseph
03-07-2012, 09:59 PM
You owned us last night Mike. That defense is more and more impressive everyday and I've got Halak on my fantasy team so nothing he does surprises me anymore. Frankly I was more surprised he gave up that goal in the 3rd. Once he got rolling I expected him to clamp it off completely, but hey tipped goals happen to even the best.

I'm telling you, St Louis being #1 or 2 should not surprise anyone. If Detroit doesn't get some of their stars back [I can relate as Captain Serious has been out a couple weeks now] they are possibly a first round casualty against Nashville. That'd leave Vancouver the only real threat to the Blues at least making it to the same building as Lord Stanley. I do love my Hawks, but it would take something unreal for us to go past the second round.

MikeThierry
03-08-2012, 11:08 AM
You owned us last night Mike. That defense is more and more impressive everyday and I've got Halak on my fantasy team so nothing he does surprises me anymore. Frankly I was more surprised he gave up that goal in the 3rd. Once he got rolling I expected him to clamp it off completely, but hey tipped goals happen to even the best.

I'm telling you, St Louis being #1 or 2 should not surprise anyone. If Detroit doesn't get some of their stars back [I can relate as Captain Serious has been out a couple weeks now] they are possibly a first round casualty against Nashville. That'd leave Vancouver the only real threat to the Blues at least making it to the same building as Lord Stanley. I do love my Hawks, but it would take something unreal for us to go past the second round.

Looking at that Chicago team, it just seems they are missing something. I know Toews is out but even with him, it just seems there is something lacking. I can't put my finger on it. I haven't seen a systematic destruction of the Hawks like that in years by the Blues. As the game went on, it looked like the Blues just wore down the Hawks and towards the end there was very little effort on their part. That's what it seemed at least.

I believe that win in Nashville for the Blues was the game of the year for them. They got over the Nashville mental block and proved that they can win on the road. Since then, they have looked completely confident in their ability to dominate teams. I have watch the Blues since 96, when I moved here. This is possibly the most dominant Blues team I have ever seen. They even rival the 99 President's trophy team. The goaltending is better and I would even go so far to say that the overall defense is better this year than that 99 team. That 99 team had Pronger and McInnis but this year's team probably has better defensive parts than that team. The Blues offense was better in 99 though.

MikeThierry
03-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Joseph, I had a horrible feeling going into last nights game because the Blues spanked the Hawks around last time they faced them. I knew the Hawks weren't going to lay down. You deserve that win. The blues played absolutely pathetic, gutless hockey. It was about as sloppy of a game I have seen them play all year. I don't understand all the penalties, all the offsides, and all the turn overs. Hitchcock needs to light the fire under the butts of those players.

Joseph
03-14-2012, 11:33 AM
Agreed Mike. The Blues started hot and then just stopped playing the hockey they've played over the last 4 months. If they fall into that trap in the playoffs my compliments of earlier posts will be moot.

I can only assume they thought they had a 3-1 lead on a team they'd just smoked a week before and they could coast, but this is the NHL, you can't even do that against the lower tier teams much less one like the Hawks.

MikeThierry
03-14-2012, 12:38 PM
Agreed Mike. The Blues started hot and then just stopped playing the hockey they've played over the last 4 months. If they fall into that trap in the playoffs my compliments of earlier posts will be moot.

I can only assume they thought they had a 3-1 lead on a team they'd just smoked a week before and they could coast, but this is the NHL, you can't even do that against the lower tier teams much less one like the Hawks.

David Backes, the Blues captain, said exactly what you were saying. They just seemed to stop playing after getting that 3-1 lead. In a way, I'm kind of glad that this kind of game happened because it once again shows that they can't rest on their hind legs and that every game they need to bring that "60 minute, 200 foot" mentality.

Even though it was frustrating to watch, it was still a fun game to watch. That game reminded me of the old school, Black and Blue division battles that those teams had back in the day.

jredmo2
03-14-2012, 01:13 PM
David Backes, the Blues captain, said exactly what you were saying. They just seemed to stop playing after getting that 3-1 lead. In a way, I'm kind of glad that this kind of game happened because it once again shows that they can't rest on their hind legs and that every game they need to bring that "60 minute, 200 foot" mentality.

Even though it was frustrating to watch, it was still a fun game to watch. That game reminded me of the old school, Black and Blue division battles that those teams had back in the day.

Was at the game last night. Sloppy as all hell, but very entertaining.

Patrick Bateman
03-14-2012, 02:20 PM
I think the lead was more a result of bad goaltending..... 3 goals on 6 shots, 2 of them very very saveable.

Blues never had their feet last night. The quick strikes just made it look like they did.

First time they have lost all year by scoring 3 or more goals. Hard to be too mad at them...

MikeThierry
03-14-2012, 03:03 PM
I think the lead was more a result of bad goaltending..... 3 goals on 6 shots, 2 of them very very saveable.

Blues never had their feet last night. The quick strikes just made it look like they did.

First time they have lost all year by scoring 3 or more goals. Hard to be too mad at them...

They were also 3 or 2 away from breaking the penalty kill record. I think when the Hawks scored that power play goal, the Blues killed off 50 or 51 straight penalties.

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-15-2012, 02:06 PM
How about that win for the Avs last night? Scoring the tying goal with 0.7 seconds left in Buffalo, then winning in the shooutout. Saying "huge two points" is cliche in the NHL, but that's exactly what last night was for Colorado.

Go Avalanche!

MikeThierry
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
That is crazy, lol. .7 seconds left? wow

I'm looking at the standings and the last two spots for the West are going to be a dog fight until the end. San Jose seems like a team that just doesn't have the extra effort on a nightly basis to get it done. I think it goes 7. colorado and 8. Phoenix. I could also see a late push from Calgary. They are hot right now winning 4 in a row and there seems to be enough veterans on that team that know how to win.

Joseph
03-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Crosby returns tonight. Should be an exciting game.

MikeThierry
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Crosby returns tonight. Should be an exciting game.

They placed him on the 3rd line I believe. If that's the case, he is probably the best 3rd line center in the history of the NHL :lol:

Reds/Flyers Fan
03-16-2012, 02:47 PM
That is crazy, lol. .7 seconds left? wow

I'm looking at the standings and the last two spots for the West are going to be a dog fight until the end. San Jose seems like a team that just doesn't have the extra effort on a nightly basis to get it done. I think it goes 7. colorado and 8. Phoenix. I could also see a late push from Calgary. They are hot right now winning 4 in a row and there seems to be enough veterans on that team that know how to win.

Unfortunately for the Avs, San Jose has three games in hand on them, and it's highly unlikely they'll lose all three. Even with as poorly as their playing since they made the deal at the deadline that sent Jamie McGinn to Colorado. Since the trade, McGinn has seven goals, including that 0.7 seconds goal.

OldRightHander
03-17-2012, 12:08 AM
I've been a Blues fan for going on 30 years (ever since Liut ended up there when the Stingers closed up shop) and I have to say I've been kind of enjoying this season a bit more than the last couple years. The playoffs could be interesting this year.

MikeThierry
03-19-2012, 12:30 PM
I've been a Blues fan for going on 30 years (ever since Liut ended up there when the Stingers closed up shop) and I have to say I've been kind of enjoying this season a bit more than the last couple years. The playoffs could be interesting this year.

Wow, you are old school if you are going back to Liut :)

It has been a really fun ride and it makes it more enjoyable seeing how this team struggle and grow in previous years to the team it is now. It was almsot like watching a kid grow up and finally getting an A on his report card.

OldRightHander
03-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Wow, you are old school if you are going back to Liut :)

It has been a really fun ride and it makes it more enjoyable seeing how this team struggle and grow in previous years to the team it is now. It was almsot like watching a kid grow up and finally getting an A on his report card.

I can say it's a lot easier to keep up with them since the internet came along. In the 80s it was a little rough trying to follow an out of town team in a city that didn't have a team at all. The NHL got next to no coverage around here before the Blue Jackets started playing up the road. Some evenings I could pick up the games on the AM radio and I would catch the scores in the paper or the rare game on cable. Now I've got Center Ice and I venture up to Columbus whenever they're in town playing the Jackets. Young sports fans don't know how easy they have it these days with being able to get just about every game on tv no matter where you live and all the content that's on the internet.

And you're right about the excitement level. I was out there last month for a wedding and everywhere I went it was Blues this and Blues that. It's kind of fun after this little dry spell. I'm just hoping for a better end result than '99-2000. That was a pretty good regular season as well.

MikeThierry
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
And you're right about the excitement level. I was out there last month for a wedding and everywhere I went it was Blues this and Blues that. It's kind of fun after this little dry spell. I'm just hoping for a better end result than '99-2000. That was a pretty good regular season as well.

With the Rams down, this city is going nuts over the Blues. I think last week's broadcast between the Blues vs. Hawks was the most watched game in the history of the Blues.

Joseph
03-19-2012, 04:03 PM
With the Rams down, this city is going nuts over the Blues. I think last week's broadcast between the Blues vs. Hawks was the most watched game in the history of the Blues.

If I heard correctly it was also the largest crowd in Blues history, sure some of that was how well the Hawks travel, but it was also the fever for a winner.

OldRightHander
03-19-2012, 06:16 PM
A winning record is the best gimmick to get butts in the seats, a lot better than bobblehead nights.

Joseph
03-19-2012, 09:29 PM
A winning record is the best gimmick to get butts in the seats, a lot better than bobblehead nights.

Would you forward that on to Misters Brown and Castellini

MikeThierry
03-20-2012, 09:13 AM
The Blues have always traditionaly done well at putting butts in the seats. Most of the 2000's they were top 10 in attendance. For the past two or three years they have had sell outs even when the team wasn't going well. The only downturn in the attendance happened when the previous management traded away the major assets the Blues had and turned their back on the fan base.

OldRightHander
03-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Bummer of a loss last night, but what do you think of Schwartz so far? Kid seems to have a fair amount of talent.

MikeThierry
03-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Bummer of a loss last night, but what do you think of Schwartz so far? Kid seems to have a fair amount of talent.

That was an epic game last night. It is one of the few losses in which I didn't really feel bad about it. If last night is any indication, that would be a crazy playoff series. There were 86 hits between the two teams. That's insane for a regular season game. It was about as gutty and physical of a game I have seen all year long. Tons of fun to watch.

I agree with you about Schwartz as well. He seems to be one of those players where the puck seems to find his stick. He made some very good set up plays last night.

The Blues have done a very good job recently in aquiring scoring talent through the draft. I'm going to be interested to see what happens with this next crop of young talent come through in the next couple of years. Ty Rattie has 54 goals and 64 assists in the WHL this year. I'm also wondering if Vladimir Tarasenko is coming over next year. Many scouts are saying he is the best young Russian player since Malkin. Regardless of what happens this year, the future looks bright for the Blues.

MikeThierry
03-26-2012, 06:56 PM
Joseph, as a Hawks fan, how do you feel about Kane? I don't want to start conflict here but he seems like a selfish player, on the outside looking in. The game in Nashville, it seemed that everytime he had the puck, instead of looking for open plays, he just shoots the puck and misses the net. Are you frustrated with his play?

Joseph
03-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Joseph, as a Hawks fan, how do you feel about Kane? I don't want to start conflict here but he seems like a selfish player, on the outside looking in. The game in Nashville, it seemed that everytime he had the puck, instead of looking for open plays, he just shoots the puck and misses the net. Are you frustrated with his play?

Sure, absolutely I am frustrated with his play. I'll preface this by saying he's also one of my favorites too.

Anyway, to the frustration, he possesses some of the best talent in the NHL. He was a number one pick a few years back, number one overall, not just first round. But he just can't seem to put it together. He's a little guy for one thing, so his games not physical, he can't run a player over to get to the net, he relies on shooting and outskating, two things he can do sometimes, but doesn't do enough. That said, even when he does do it, its often times not in the context of the team. He's content to be selfish as you said. He'll get the puck blow past a couple guys and try to score. It doesn't work nearly enough to make it viable.

Kaners at his best when he's distributing the puck. When he skates by a couple guys, or gets set up on a wing and draws an extra defender, he needs to look to pass. Doing this is going to open him up to score moreso himself and it'll be win win for the Hawks.

I was sure he could be a 40 goal scorer, and it just hasn't happened yet so yes, I'm frustrated with his play this year especially. Lately, Nashville game aside, he's been doing more distributing of the puck and has looked better, but still....there needs to be some more improvement in the coming year.

Earlier this year there was talk of trading him for a goalie, I'm not sure I'm that opposed to that idea as much as I once would have been.

Roy Tucker
03-26-2012, 08:17 PM
So, I saw where some guy in the NHL was fined for slew-footing.

What's that?

OldRightHander
03-27-2012, 08:16 AM
So, I saw where some guy in the NHL was fined for slew-footing.

What's that?

One player uses his foot to take out another player's skates, usually from behind. The other player usually falls backwards and can be badly hurt.

Patrick Bateman
03-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Sure, absolutely I am frustrated with his play. I'll preface this by saying he's also one of my favorites too.

Anyway, to the frustration, he possesses some of the best talent in the NHL. He was a number one pick a few years back, number one overall, not just first round. But he just can't seem to put it together. He's a little guy for one thing, so his games not physical, he can't run a player over to get to the net, he relies on shooting and outskating, two things he can do sometimes, but doesn't do enough. That said, even when he does do it, its often times not in the context of the team. He's content to be selfish as you said. He'll get the puck blow past a couple guys and try to score. It doesn't work nearly enough to make it viable.

Kaners at his best when he's distributing the puck. When he skates by a couple guys, or gets set up on a wing and draws an extra defender, he needs to look to pass. Doing this is going to open him up to score moreso himself and it'll be win win for the Hawks.

I was sure he could be a 40 goal scorer, and it just hasn't happened yet so yes, I'm frustrated with his play this year especially. Lately, Nashville game aside, he's been doing more distributing of the puck and has looked better, but still....there needs to be some more improvement in the coming year.

Earlier this year there was talk of trading him for a goalie, I'm not sure I'm that opposed to that idea as much as I once would have been.

Not trading Kane. Seriously compile a list of guys who have equalled his point totals since he came into the league.

Then consider that lsit of guys are all older than Kane.

I agree his consistency is lacking, he has dry spells, and has been shot unlucky this year. Those are things he can work on. But what he has accomplished at his young age is matched by very few, not to mention with saalries escalating, he is a bargain on his current contract. Trading him for a goalie would be a collasol mistake. A decent goalie should be obtainable with the cap space in the upcoming offseason.

MikeThierry
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Not trading Kane. Seriously compile a list of guys who have equalled his point totals since he came into the league.

Then consider that lsit of guys are all older than Kane.

I agree his consistency is lacking, he has dry spells, and has been shot unlucky this year. Those are things he can work on. But what he has accomplished at his young age is matched by very few, not to mention with saalries escalating, he is a bargain on his current contract. Trading him for a goalie would be a collasol mistake. A decent goalie should be obtainable with the cap space in the upcoming offseason.

I would love to have him on the Blues but it just seems from afar that he is shelfish with the puck. If I was a Hawks fan, I would be frustrated. Still, the Hawks shouldn't give up on him because he is one of the most talented players in the league.

Also Joseph, it should be an amazing game tonight. The Blues have a chance with a regulation win or overtime/non-shootout win, to clinch the Central Division. The Hawks have a chance to clich a playoff birth with a win tonight and some other scenarios happening. This might be as physical of a game the Blues and Hawks will play all year. Wouldn't be surprised to see over 60 total hits in this game. Should be fun.

OldRightHander
03-30-2012, 12:41 AM
The Blues were fortunate to steal a point there. I've seen them play better.

MikeThierry
03-30-2012, 12:58 AM
The Blues were fortunate to steal a point there. I've seen them play better.

I don't know what it is about playing in Chicago but they have not had real good success there the past couple of years. They can dominate the Hawks in St. Louis but going there, the Blues look like a different team.

That said, I did like the bounce back ability factor. They scored a goal, we scored one right back. That is one of the huge differences from this years team from teams in previous years.

Also, Pietrangelo still amazes me at his play at only age 22. I know Karlsson will probably win the Norris this year but Pietrangelo has to be in the conversation. His hockey skills and hockey sense is like someone who has been in the league for 10 years. He is an absolute wonder to watch.

HotCorner
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM
Huge win for the Caps last night! Blew a 2-0 lead to the Bruins with under three minutes to go but win it in the shootout. Matt Hendricks completely undressed Tim Thomas in the shootout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j5Dx8jBt85U

MikeThierry
03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Huge win for the Caps last night! Blew a 2-0 lead to the Bruins with under three minutes to go but win it in the shootout. Matt Hendricks completely undressed Tim Thomas in the shootout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j5Dx8jBt85U

HotCorner, I was looking at Ovi's stats and I find it amazing that people are saying he is having a down season. He has 36 goals and 27 assists. I guess it goes to show you how elite of a talent he is. He would probably also have better success on a team which the players around him are better. I would love to see what kind of points he would put up if he had centers like David Backes or Jonathan Toews.

Patrick Bateman
03-30-2012, 01:39 PM
HotCorner, I was looking at Ovi's stats and I find it amazing that people are saying he is having a down season. He has 36 goals and 27 assists. I guess it goes to show you how elite of a talent he is. He would probably also have better success on a team which the players around him are better. I would love to see what kind of points he would put up if he had centers like David Backes or Jonathan Toews.

Like Niklas Backstom......

Hi stats were really good with him at C.

HotCorner
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Like Niklas Backstom......

Hi stats were really good with him at C.

Bingo.

Revering4Blue
03-30-2012, 08:39 PM
It might be a bit much to call the St. Louis Blues “100 percent” healthy. That’s very much a relative term at this point in a grueling 82-game regular season.

Still, relatively speaking, Jeremy Rutherford points out that this the first time the Blues will enjoy their full roster’s strength since March 3 … 2010. That’s a whopping 160-game span.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/blues-havent-been-this-healthy-in-two-years/related/

IslandRed
03-30-2012, 10:19 PM
Three points separating Nashville, Detroit and Chicago in the Western 4-5-6 spots with four games to go. Technically speaking, the six seed catches a break by getting the Pacific winner, although those teams are no slouches. The 4-5 series is going to be a war. I wonder how much Radulov will help the Predators, since they have historically battled their way into the postseason but have been a bit short on firepower once they get there.

Joseph
04-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Three points separating Nashville, Detroit and Chicago in the Western 4-5-6 spots with four games to go. Technically speaking, the six seed catches a break by getting the Pacific winner, although those teams are no slouches. The 4-5 series is going to be a war. I wonder how much Radulov will help the Predators, since they have historically battled their way into the postseason but have been a bit short on firepower once they get there.

Radulov is the real deal. Saw him in person last night. He's fast, he's agile, and he can shoot. Didn't see a lot of checking from him, but thats typical of a lot of Euro players.

I love the Hawks, but I don't want a lot to do with Nashville in the playoffs.

MikeThierry
04-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Wings vs. Blues on National TV tonight. Should be fun. Blues are trying to get back on track after a couple of rough games and Detroit trying to get home ice advantage in the first round. It's going to be a physical game.

westofyou
04-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Go Wings!!

Wings have been pretty banged up the past six weeks, they are in need of momentum, should be a dandy

MikeThierry
04-05-2012, 11:43 AM
That was a playoff type game. Very physical and a great atmosphere. I have no idea why the Blues are so horrible in shootouts this season. You can almost chalk it up to a loss everytime the Blues go into a shootout.

MikeThierry
04-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Well the playoff match-ups are set. It goes:

West:

Vancouver vs. LA
St. Louis vs. San Jose
Phoenix vs. Chicago
Nashville vs. Detroit

East:

New York vs. Ottawa
Boston vs. Washington
Florida vs. New Jersey
Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia

My picks for the first round:

LA over Vancouver in 6. LA is playing about as well as anyone now and I can see Vancouver wetting the bed in the first round, esp. if they don't have Daniel Sedin.

St. Louis over San Jose in 5. This is probably the best match for the Blues. I know the regular season shouldn't be a barometer to playoff success but the Blues have dominated the Sharks every time they faced them this year. I don't see the trend changing anytime soon.

Phoenix over Chicago in 7. Phoenix is playing excellent right now and their goaltender has turned into a late season nominee for the Vezina. My big question about Chicago is their goalie situation. If they were playing better in net, my choice would be different but Crawford is going to have to prove something to me before I can pick Chicago to win this series.

Nashville in 7. This is probably the second best match-up of the first round. I'm going back and fourth on this game. It's too close. If it's too close, I always pick home ice as the tie breaker. Could go either way though.

New York in 5. Ottawa took 3 of 4 against the Rangers this season so I think this could be a tight series. New York has the match-up advantage in defense and in goal. Though I see this being a tough series for the Rangers, I just can't see them being beaten.

Washington in 6. The Caps look like a whole different team with Nicklas Bäckström back from injury. While Boston does have them in edge when it comes to defense, Thomas has looked human this year. I could see this series going in Washington's favor if Ovi continues his hot hand. It's going to be close but I pick Washington.

New Jersey in 6. The Panthers are a great story but New Jersey is too good of a team. I also feel that Brodeur has more left in the tank and is out to prove the doubters wrong.

Pittsburgh in 6. This is by far the best match-up of the first round. I predict this will be the most physical series as well. In the end though, Pittsburgh has too many weapons. I really don't see anyone beating Pittsburgh in the East this season.

Joseph
04-08-2012, 06:43 PM
West:

Vancouver vs. LA
*Vancouver in six. Bold to pick LA Mike, there is no doubt Jamie Quick is a Vezina candidate and I know as well as anyone a hot goalie can get a team to the Cup Finals, but Luongo is playing well too. Even without Sedin I don't expect a total flame out from the 1st seed.

St. Louis vs. San Jose
*St Louis in 5. San Jose will get one, just because, but St Louis is a solid defense and puck control team and I don't see them losing to a team that barely eeked its way in.

Phoenix vs. Chicago
*This series is predicated on one thing and one thing only I think, Jonathan Toews. If he plays the majority of the games Chicago wins. If he doesn't, then the Coyotes move on. So with JT, Hawks in 6, without, 'yotes in 5.

Nashville vs. Detroit
*Good gosh Nashville has come a long way this season. I still hate the way their fans carry on, but I like the way the team plays. Still...its Detroit. The big guns might be making their last run as a group and it may well just be their year to go deep. Wings in 6.

East:

New York vs. Ottawa
*King Henrik is what every team wishes they had in net this time of year. Gaborik is tough too, and I like their fire. Rangers in 5.

Boston vs. Washington
*Ovechkin. That is all. Caps in 6.

Florida vs. New Jersey
*Bring on the rats! I've got a friend who is a big Devils fan, and they are a good team, but I like Floridas grit. Dale Tallons put together a good group. Panthers in 7

Pittsburgh vs. Philadelphia
*Best matchup in the first round. Sid the Kid is like Junior Griffey on ice. Can't help but love watching him. All said though, Flyers in 6 real tough games.

MikeThierry
04-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Joseph, I'm always going to be biased against Vancouver. I just can't stand that team and their fans, lol. Even if they are the odds on favorite to win it all, I can't bring myself to pick them. I'm letting you know from this day on that I will never pick Vancouver in a playoff series. Stupid yes, but I can't help it.

Joseph
04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
It all gets started tonight. Can't wait.

westofyou
04-11-2012, 06:45 PM
It all gets started tonight. Can't wait.

As Flounder said in Animal House

This is going to be great.

I love playoff hockey

OldRightHander
04-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Joseph, I'm always going to be biased against Vancouver. I just can't stand that team and their fans, lol. Even if they are the odds on favorite to win it all, I can't bring myself to pick them. I'm letting you know from this day on that I will never pick Vancouver in a playoff series. Stupid yes, but I can't help it.

Well, they're down a game. You never know. Looking forward to tonight.

MikeThierry
04-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Is anyone shocked that Weber wasn't given more than a fine for that hit?

HotCorner
04-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Stunned.

IslandRed
04-12-2012, 07:11 PM

Weber definitely caught a break from Zetterberg not being seriously injured. I'm sure he didn't appreciate Z blasting him from behind with two seconds left in the game but that's hockey. He'd best be on good behavior the rest of the playoffs.

That was a weird game in general -- the conventional wisdom seemed to be that Nashville had the advantage in special teams and Detroit the advantage at full strength, yet the Game 1 results were completely the opposite.

OldRightHander
04-12-2012, 07:56 PM

2 game suspension.

Never mind, I had the wrong guy.

RedCanuck
04-12-2012, 09:19 PM

Some of those fans can't stand the team today too. Your perdiction may become true.

MikeThierry
04-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Double OT in St. Louis right now. This is a great game. Regardless if the Blues win or not, the whole "lack of playoff experience" factor that has been a knock against the Blues isn't rearing its ugly head. The Blues look as good and crisp as I have seen them in weeks.

Joseph
04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
On the Weber hit, its something I believe he should have gotten a game for. Kieth got 5 a few weeks ago for a retalitory elbow to Sedin, and I don't know that this hit was all that different. A late hit in a close game magnifies it even moreso in my estimation. He should be sitting tonight, but as we know, he's not.

That whole game had some questionable calls from the officials tbh.

Last night was a rough one for me. I was sure Toews coming out and scoring early would set a tone, but the Coyotes didn't back down and they just completely OWNED the second period. I'm still more than confident that Q will adjust and the Hawks will win one in the desert before coming home to get another pair of wins.

St Louis and San Jose was actually a very entertaining game. I thought the Blues would play Hitchcock style hockey and slow the game down to a grind, but it was not nearly that way. It was physical and tough, but a really well played game.

Oxilon
04-15-2012, 04:13 PM
This has been a very entertaining Flyers/Penguins series. I hate both teams, but seeing all of the fights and goals has definitely made this an enjoyable series.

improbus
04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
This has been a very entertaining Flyers/Penguins series. I hate both teams, but seeing all of the fights and goals has definitely made this an enjoyable series.
It's more like watching a Genesis NHL '96 Game than real hockey.

Joseph
04-15-2012, 09:41 PM
If the Hawks were involved I don't think I'd enjoy the series as much, but I agree, there is something about that Flyers/Pens series thats just must see TV.

MikeThierry
04-16-2012, 02:30 PM
If the Hawks were involved I don't think I'd enjoy the series as much, but I agree, there is something about that Flyers/Pens series thats just must see TV.

I'm shocked that the Flyers are up 3-0 in this series. It is entertaining but shocking how bad the Penguins have played.

OldRightHander
04-16-2012, 05:26 PM
With the Pens and Canucks both on the ropes, things could get pretty interesting in both conferences.

Joseph
04-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Very interesting indeed.

OldRightHander
04-17-2012, 01:00 AM
Just got done watching the Blues survive a late onslaught to go up 2 games to 1. Impressive power play tonight. Also, the Boston/Washington game was quite entertaining, especially down the stretch.

MikeThierry
04-17-2012, 12:55 PM
The Blues look like a faster, more physical team. The Sharks seem to be showing their age. If there was any question as to whether or not the lack of playoff experience would affect the Blues, I think that question has been answered.

Oxilon
04-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Shanahan obviously told the referees to up their enforcement of the rules. Too bad, since this Flyers/Pens game is reminiscent of a Big 12 Football. Can't play defense or you'll be put in the box.

Joseph
04-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Up a touchdown now, but I'm sure the Flyers still have a shot. :)

MikeThierry
04-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Up a touchdown now, but I'm sure the Flyers still have a shot. :)

I turned on the TV and I thought I left my PS3 on with NHL 12 in the console, lol

Joseph
04-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Those miserable hicks from Tennessee have made it past one of the O6. Hate to see that happen. I have nothing against the team, just the fans. :)

westofyou
04-21-2012, 12:02 AM
Those miserable hicks from Tennessee have made it past one of the O6. Hate to see that happen. I have nothing against the team, just the fans. :)

Goalie series, just like 03 when the Ducks schooled the wings, kudos to them and him

Stud goalie series, just stand your head good

Joseph
04-21-2012, 09:53 AM
He is amazing, and so are their defencemen. They just play such a frustrating style of hockey, such a grind overall. They are a real threat this post season unless Rinne just falls apart.

improbus
04-21-2012, 10:20 PM
The NHL must be kicking themselves. If things continue, the Kings, Blues, Panthers, Senators, Flyers, Predators, Capitals, and Coyotes would advance. The Bruins, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Penguins, Canucks, Sharks, Rangers, and Devils would lose. Goodbye whatever meager playoff ratings the NHL would have gotten.

OldRightHander
04-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Great 3rd period by the Bues tonight. Turned that game around fast.

MikeThierry
04-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Great 3rd period by the Bues tonight. Turned that game around fast.

That was awesome! Onto LA!!!

Joseph
04-22-2012, 01:32 PM
The NHL must be kicking themselves. If things continue, the Kings, Blues, Panthers, Senators, Flyers, Predators, Capitals, and Coyotes would advance. The Bruins, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Penguins, Canucks, Sharks, Rangers, and Devils would lose. Goodbye whatever meager playoff ratings the NHL would have gotten.

Excellent point Improbus.

NY, Boston, Chicago and Detroit are all fairly major markets to lose. Goodness knows Vancouver loves their Canucks, but it's pretty evident they are out soon. The Rangers still have a shot, the Hawks....maybe but I don't have a lot of faith.

How bad will the ratings be if its Nashville and Florida in the finals? Or Phoenix and Florida even more so....a team that has no support against a team that barely eeked into the playoffs. Yikes.

For hockey purposes we need a New York vs St Louis final [ie would be a great matchup]. For TV maybe NY vs LA?

OldRightHander
04-22-2012, 11:12 PM
That was awesome! Onto LA!!!

Yep, it's official, thanks to an impressive 3rd period and OT by LA tonight. Should be an interesting series with two good defensive teams.

MikeThierry
04-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Yep, it's official, thanks to an impressive 3rd period and OT by LA tonight. Should be an interesting series with two good defensive teams.

Outside of the first meeting between the Blues/Kings, it was pretty even. I know the Kings are 3-1 but I believe two of those games were won in shootouts. You know how futile the Blues were in that area so the 3-1 record shouldn't be a gauge into how well they will do. It will be tight and I wouldn't be shocked if most of the games went into OT.

MikeThierry
04-26-2012, 02:22 AM
I picked the Caps on a gut feeling and they actually won. :laugh::lol:

HotCorner
04-26-2012, 01:06 PM
I picked the Caps on a gut feeling and they actually won. :laugh::lol:

Damn right. I liked the way this team played at the end of the season. Add that to the matchup with Boston (who they beat 3-1 in the reg. season series), the return of Nick Backstrom and less pressure than previous seasons due to lower expectations I really liked their chances.

But man was that a mentally exhausting series. All 7 games were decided by a goal (an NHL first) including 4 OT games.

westofyou
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Excellent point Improbus.

NY, Boston, Chicago and Detroit are all fairly major markets to lose. Goodness knows Vancouver loves their Canucks, but it's pretty evident they are out soon. The Rangers still have a shot, the Hawks....maybe but I don't have a lot of faith.

How bad will the ratings be if its Nashville and Florida in the finals? Or Phoenix and Florida even more so....a team that has no support against a team that barely eeked into the playoffs. Yikes.

For hockey purposes we need a New York vs St Louis final [ie would be a great matchup]. For TV maybe NY vs LA?
The league survived a Edmonton / Carolina final in 2006, they'll survive... OT and game sevens help a bunch

MikeThierry
04-27-2012, 12:38 AM
Excellent first round. On to the second. Here are my picks:

Blues vs Kings: This might be the most evenly matched of all the remaining matchups. I wouldn't be shocked if all 7 games go to OT. While the Kings have the advantage in goaltending, I think the Blues are a bit better in the remaining areas. Blues in 7

Coyotes vs Predators: Could turn out to the be the most lopsided matchup of round two. I just can't see any way the Coyotes win this one. I like what Smith has done in net for the Yotes but Rinne is practically the patron saint of goalies. He's unbelievable. The Preds are better in almost every single aspect of the game. Preds in 5.

Rangers vs. Caps: I love the Caps and hope they win this series but I don't see it. The Holtby magic runs out. Rangers in 6

Flyers vs. Devils: The Flyers are the best remaining team in the East in my opinion. I feel this could be a shootout and the Flyers just have too much for the Devils to deal with. Flyers in 5.

Joseph
04-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Blues vs Kings: Tough series here. LA was hot late in the season, and the Blues were among the best all season [post Hitchcock hiring]. I wouldn't be shocked by either team winning, but I think its the Blues that has enough to get through. Blues in 6

Coyotes vs Predators: The wound is still raw, but the Yotes did a lot to impress in this series. Believe it or not Phoenix was better defensively as a team this season, so I'm going with them in 6.

Rangers vs. Caps: I still like the Rangers and what they are doing, but they had a tough go of it against the Sens who weren't all that impressive IMO. So that has me second guessing. I think this series could be a toss up, but I'll go out on a limb here and pick the Caps in 7.

Flyers vs. Devils: I think the Flyers might just win it all when its all done, but, still too early to tell. I think Flyers in 5 here, narrowly missing the sweep in overtime.

Revering4Blue
04-29-2012, 12:48 PM
Per Rotoworld.

The City of Glendale should have a deal in place shortly to keep the Coyotes in Arizona.

The Coyotes are still owned by the NHL but Glendale has subsidized the team over the last three years to the tune of $25 million per season. A majority of the city council (four of seven) have agreed to a deal which would pay the new owners a fee for running the arena. The fee is expected to be $17 million next season, $20 million until 2017 and $15 million after that in a 20 year deal. Former owner Jerry Moyes asked the city to help out with $12.5 million before he went bankrupt, but Glendale refused. Former San Jose Sharks President Greg Jamison is looking to purchase the team and this incentive can only help. Stay tuned.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-01-2012, 01:09 AM
Definitely not sad to see St. Louis down 2-0 and heading to Staples Center. Let's go LA!

OldRightHander
05-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Definitely not sad to see St. Louis down 2-0 and heading to Staples Center. Let's go LA!

&$@)!!!

MikeThierry
05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
The Blues embarrassed themselves and the city they play for. They should feel ashamed for that pitiful display they put on last night.

OldRightHander
05-01-2012, 12:37 PM
The Blues embarrassed themselves and the city they play for. They should feel ashamed for that pitiful display they put on last night.

I expect better for game 3. They showed something more in the 3rd period last night, but that 1st period was absolutely atrocious. You can't blame that on the loss of one defenseman. What were they on the power play, 0 for about 150?

HotCorner
05-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Meanwhile in NY last night ...

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/QNs7mxqwpyJaba8obafcPg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnhlexperts/xlhzf.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/alex-ovechkin-answers-rangers-fan-taunts-goal-hand-023118193.html

westofyou
05-01-2012, 02:27 PM
I expect better for game 3. They showed something more in the 3rd period last night, but that 1st period was absolutely atrocious. You can't blame that on the loss of one defenseman. What were they on the power play, 0 for about 150?

Hitch teams since his Stars days always stress defensive excellence and miss the boat on well rounded offense

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Meanwhile in NY last night ...

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/QNs7mxqwpyJaba8obafcPg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnhlexperts/xlhzf.jpg

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/alex-ovechkin-answers-rangers-fan-taunts-goal-hand-023118193.html

That's awesome! Would love to see DC in the Stanley Cup Finals. :thumbup:

Oxilon
05-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I don't see the Caps/Rangers game ever ending....

OldRightHander
05-03-2012, 12:08 AM
I don't see the Caps/Rangers game ever ending....

I hope it ends soon. I need to get some sleep tonight.

OldRightHander
05-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Well, I didn't want it to end that way.

westofyou
05-03-2012, 01:16 AM
Well, I didn't want it to end that way.

Now that was a battle of attrition, the players were starting to reel

MikeThierry
05-03-2012, 06:36 PM
Now that was a battle of attrition, the players were starting to reel

Callahan is the man. He is always blocking shots and hitting. Love watching that dude play.

OldRightHander
05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Callahan is the man. He is always blocking shots and hitting. Love watching that dude play.

If you like hitting, I have a feeling we're going to see a a fair amount of it in L.A. tonight.

OldRightHander
05-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Well......&)$@!!!

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-04-2012, 10:16 AM
The Kings barely squeak into the playoffs as the No. 8 seed and now they might be the favorite to win the Western Conference.

How fun would a New York-Los Angeles Stanley Cup Finals be? It might be enough to actually get ESPiN to pay some attention.

Oxilon
05-04-2012, 01:13 PM
The Kings barely squeak into the playoffs as the No. 8 seed and now they might be the favorite to win the Western Conference.

How fun would a New York-Los Angeles Stanley Cup Finals be? It might be enough to actually get ESPiN to pay some attention.

Don't count on it. Once NBC/Versus got rights to the NHL, ESPN put Women's Basketball ahead of the NHL on their priority list.

Joseph
05-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Don't count on it. Once NBC/Versus got rights to the NHL, ESPN put Women's Basketball ahead of the NHL on their priority list.

WHich is just shameful. Not to give womens basketball some publicity, however I find ESPNs profits over journalism thing unfortunate. Yes they are a business and entitled to whatever profit they can make, however it seems to me like there could be a balance. Instead of shoving what they have rights to broadcast down our throat, let's find some middle ground and try to appeal to more than just NY and whatever. Showing some hockey would potentially broaden their base, if they put some effort into it. Hockey Tonight anyone?

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM

They can try to ignore the NHL all they want, but people are still watching. Walk into just about any bar in the Greater Cincinnati area these days and chances are the NHL playoffs are on most of the big screens while the NBA is relegated to the smaller TVs, if it's on at all. I don't hear any buzz about the NBA playoffs, let alone women's basketball.

ESPiN can continue to alienate its viewers at its own peril. I already barely watch it now unless there is an actual game on. SportsCenter is borderline worthless. I'd rather watch the MLB/NHL/NFL/Big Ten networks for news/highlights.

HotCorner
05-07-2012, 03:31 PM
According to these article, viewership is up this postseason.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/5/3/2997336/nhl-playoff-tv-ratings-capitals-rangers-game-3

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/4/27/2981456/nhl-playoff-tv-ratings-first-round

Oxilon
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
6.6 seconds left. That's a kick to the gut for Caps fans.

HotCorner
05-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Gut wrenching loss. Do or die Wednesday.

M2
05-07-2012, 10:54 PM
The Rangers are having one of those years. They fight like crazy and make plays night after night. I've never seen a team so completely bought in to putting out maximum effort.

As a Rangers fans I've been on cloud nine all season.

westofyou
05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
The Rangers are having one of those years. They fight like crazy and make plays night after night. I've never seen a team so completely bought in to putting out maximum effort.

As a Rangers fans I've been on cloud nine all season.

They have that coming back from dead mojo, I see a Ranger victory in the Cup over LA

NJReds
05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
If it turns out this way - and it looks like it will - Rangers v. Devils will be a war. Should be an excellent series.

M2
05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
If it turns out this way - and it looks like it will - Rangers v. Devils will be a war. Should be an excellent series.

If only those two teams had some kind of history in which they had played some sort of legendary conference championship series ...

Though I wouldn't quite count those chickens yet. The Flyers and Caps are not going to go away quietly.

MikeThierry
05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Calling it right now: Rangers vs. Kings in the Cup Final. Ratings go through the roof. ESPN spends a total of 30 minutes in 7 games talking about the final.

Oxilon
05-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I still think the Capitals beat the Rangers. Capitals over the Kings in the Finals in 6

dabvu2498
05-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Ratings go through the roof. ESPN spends a total of 30 minutes in 7 games talking about the final.

That would cause ESPN to try and get some NHL broadcast rights back.

Joseph
05-09-2012, 01:14 PM
That would cause ESPN to try and get some NHL broadcast rights back.

I believe they are a little late to the game, but I'd still love to see an NHL tonight type program, but I know that won't happen until they have some rights eventually.

dabvu2498
05-09-2012, 08:20 PM
I believe they are a little late to the game, but I'd still love to see an NHL tonight type program, but I know that won't happen until they have some rights eventually.

Wow. Didn't know the contract with NBC was so lengthy.

Joseph
05-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Yep, just renewed too.

MikeThierry
05-10-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm really excited about today because the Blues ownership turmoil finally ended. They now have an owner and now they can actually spend money instead of trying to nickel and dime their way. Now to sign Tarasenko and get him over here from the KHL!

:beerme::beerme::beerme::):D

MikeThierry
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
By the way, here is a nice article on Tarasenko. He was named the prospect of 2012 by Hockey Future.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/14143/hockeys_future_prospect_of_the_year2012/

HotCorner
05-10-2012, 02:44 PM
And we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive,
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive,
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive

Joseph
05-10-2012, 05:47 PM
I love reading articles out of Canada that have all those extra 'u's in wourds, errr words.

Reds/Flyers Fan
05-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Stanley Cup finals: LA Kings vs. New Jersey Devils

I'll take the Kings in six. They seem practically unbeatable right now and Quick is in the zone. It'll be hard for Jersey to score.

westofyou
05-30-2012, 05:26 PM
Kings in six

Word on the street is lindstrom is retiring, big bummer

Joseph
05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Great player, but it might well be time.

The cup getting underway tonight though is great. Nothing quite like the Cup.

MikeThierry
05-31-2012, 12:45 PM
Wow, check out these Lidstrom facts. If this doesn't tell you he should be a lock 1st ballot HOFer, I don't know what else will.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/17371/nicklas-lidstrom-facts

As much as I hate the Wings, I always respected Lidstrom. He will be missed.

Spitball
05-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Great player, but it might well be time.

I have never understood how hockey players last as long as they do. The game is rough and the surfaces are hard.

The cup getting underway tonight though is great. Nothing quite like the Cup.

Hockey is exciting already. Add the championship element, and it is hard to beat.

MikeThierry
05-31-2012, 04:49 PM
I have never understood how hockey players last as long as they do. The game is rough and the surfaces are hard.

Hockey is exciting already. Add the championship element, and it is hard to beat.

I think a huge part of why hockey players tend to last is that the legs aren't going to be destroyed as much as in other sports. Hockey, in my opinion, is a rougher sport than football; but with football the way they tackle in the game tends to blow knees out more than what happens in hockey. When a football players knees and legs go out, their pretty much done for. Hockey players can get away with not having great speed to be successful in the game unlike in football (see Chara). Plus, with skates, you don't need to have great knees to be successful. A lot with skating has to do with muscles that are completely different than those of running sports.

MikeThierry
06-02-2012, 03:01 PM
It's official, the Russian Tank is coming to the Blues next season:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/vladimir-tarasenko-decides-st-louis-blues-over-khl-160042007.html

Many scouts say this is the best Russian prospect since Malkin. This is a significant offensive upgrade for the Blues and makes their team even better.

Spitball
06-03-2012, 01:17 PM
I think a huge part of why hockey players tend to last is that the legs aren't going to be destroyed as much as in other sports. Hockey, in my opinion, is a rougher sport than football; but with football the way they tackle in the game tends to blow knees out more than what happens in hockey. When a football players knees and legs go out, their pretty much done for. Hockey players can get away with not having great speed to be successful in the game unlike in football (see Chara). Plus, with skates, you don't need to have great knees to be successful. A lot with skating has to do with muscles that are completely different than those of running sports.

I don't disagree with everything you say here, but I do with some of it.

First, I think Chara is a faster skater than you think. His large frame and stride may make him appear to be slow, but defenders have to have speed.

The British Columbia Injury Research and Prevention Unit determined that at least 31 percent of all hockey-related injuries occur to the lower body. The knee makes up a large percentage of those injuries.

MikeThierry
06-03-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't disagree with everything you say here, but I do with some of it.

First, I think Chara is a faster skater than you think. His large frame and stride may make him appear to be slow, but defenders have to have speed.

The British Columbia Injury Research and Prevention Unit determined that at least 31 percent of all hockey-related injuries occur to the lower body. The knee makes up a large percentage of those injuries.

Well, maybe Chara was a bad example because he has a stick that's over 10 feet long right? :laugh:

Do you think the turf has a lot to do with football injuries? I know running can take a lot out of people and it seems there is less impact on the lower body with the skating motion rather than running hard.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Not very impressive TV ratings for the Stanley Cup finals so far, despite the two teams coming from Los Angeles and the NYC metro.

Adrian Dater, the Colorado Avalanche beat writer for the Denver Post, thinks that people aren't intrigued because there are no storylines and the players are "too nice."

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_20769603/dater-nhl-games-wont-pull-big-crowds-till

Spitball
06-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Well, maybe Chara was a bad example because he has a stick that's over 10 feet long right? :laugh:

Do you think the turf has a lot to do with football injuries? I know running can take a lot out of people and it seems there is less impact on the lower body with the skating motion rather than running hard.

I am a lifelong Bruins fan and find Chara an amazingly gifted player.

Here is a Nova on the great Bobby Orr and his six knee operations. As a Blues fan, you might find the 1:10 mark interesting. It may be one of the most famous scenes in Boston sport lore. : )

Bobby Orr on NOVA - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R07bkNod7Yk)

MikeThierry
06-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Not very impressive TV ratings for the Stanley Cup finals so far, despite the two teams coming from Los Angeles and the NYC metro.

Adrian Dater, the Colorado Avalanche beat writer for the Denver Post, thinks that people aren't intrigued because there are no storylines and the players are "too nice."

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_20769603/dater-nhl-games-wont-pull-big-crowds-till

For me, the Kings have taken the wind out of the sail as far as my excitement for the series. I was never truely impressed by the Devils and the Kings might be one of the most dominating NHL playoff teams I have ever seen. I felt that the Devils had no chance in this series and I just wasn't excited over it as I would be a Kings/Pittsburgh or Kings/Boston matchup. Thats a possibility as to why the ratings haven't been that high.

Spitball, that was a great moment. Even though it was against the Blues, it showed the kind of player Orr was. Him and Gretzky are the two best players ever.

Outrider
06-10-2012, 01:18 PM

I have a friend who started playing in an adult league two years ago, and he was telling me the game is not as rough as it appears to people watching. You're right, it is easier on the legs. The speed and skates make it look like it's rougher than it is.

Spitball
06-12-2012, 12:28 AM
Congrats to the Kings. I have trouble with warm weather teams winning the Cup, but they are a very good team.

Outrider
06-12-2012, 08:34 AM
Congrats to the Kings. I hope the Bruins get another one next year.

MikeThierry
06-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Congrats to the Kings! They were a steam rolling team that couldn't be stopped! On to free agency.

Outrider
06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Any Blue Jackets fans here?

Outrider
06-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Any Blue Jackets fans here?

Never mind, I read the rest of the thread, plenty of Jackets fans here!

Joseph
06-17-2012, 09:24 PM
Really fun season. Congrats to the Kings.

NJReds
06-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Interesting story that came out from CBS in NY today. Apparently the Islanders offered all of their 2012 draft picks for Columbus's #2 pick, but Columbus turned them down. The Isles had the #4 pick in the first round.

Link (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/25/report-islanders-offered-entire-draft-to-columbus-for-no-2-pick/)

Joseph
06-25-2012, 04:00 PM
Interesting story that came out from CBS in NY today. Apparently the Islanders offered all of their 2012 draft picks for Columbus's #2 pick, but Columbus turned them down. The Isles had the #4 pick in the first round.

Link (http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/25/report-islanders-offered-entire-draft-to-columbus-for-no-2-pick/)

If true, thats just foolish on both ends. Columbus needs serviceable players and would still have gotten a very solid player at 4.