PDA

View Full Version : Walt up to something?

Nathan
01-15-2012, 01:21 PM
In the Sheldon article that was posted about the Reds' signing Madson, there was a quote that it seems everyone passes up. To me, it's very telling. When asked about the LF/IF positions, he says:

"We're working on both of them," Jocketty said Friday evening from Los Angeles. "Hopefully, by next week I'd like to have both of them resolved."

Which tells me: He's up to something, and something in the very near future is going down. I'm curious as to who the players involved are going to be.

Another thing of note, with the Madson signing, it will bring the 40 man roster up to 39. So, one player is probably going to be brought in via trade, or someone is going to lose a spot on the 40 man.

So, what do you think he's up to? Who are the players that he's trying to get in? Who's on their way out?

Eric the Red
01-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Personally I'd like to see Walt acquire Seth Smith from Colorado. I'm not sure if Juan Francisco straight up would get it done (likely not judging by the Marshall trade) but depending on the price, he is the player I would target. If not him, my guess is the Reds sign Kosuke Fukodome or Ryan Ludwick.

I too take Walt at his word when he says he'd like to have something done within the next week, so I'll bet something happens.

bah1286
01-15-2012, 01:45 PM
In the Sheldon article that was posted about the Reds' signing Madson, there was a quote that it seems everyone passes up. To me, it's very telling. When asked about the LF/IF positions, he says:

Which tells me: He's up to something, and something in the very near future is going down. I'm curious as to who the players involved are going to be.

Another thing of note, with the Madson signing, it will bring the 40 man roster up to 39. So, one player is probably going to be brought in via trade, or someone is going to lose a spot on the 40 man.

So, what do you think he's up to? Who are the players that he's trying to get in? Who's on their way out?

I have a feeling we are going to be surprised. Walt never seems to make a move that we see coming. It looks like we were the team that had a deal with Wood before the Cubs came back. Were we going to sign both Wood and Madson. I think so. I dont know who we add from here on out, but I think it will be a pleasant surprise. Could see a trade of someone at the major league level right now. Maybe Chapman. Maybe Homer. Who knows. Also, I would not be shocked to see Coco back pitching in the 7th and 8th with Masset and Marshall. He loves Cincy and his price is just keeps getting lower. He was a pain to watch at times but I would love to have him back in a loaded pen.

JayBruceFan
01-15-2012, 02:09 PM
Personally I'd like to see Walt acquire Seth Smith from Colorado. I'm not sure if Juan Francisco straight up would get it done (likely not judging by the Marshall trade) but depending on the price, he is the player I would target.
The Rockies more than likely won't have any interest in a third basemen because they have a very talented 3B prospect in the minors named Nolan Arenado that some people feel is really close to playing in the majors on a regular basis.

But stranger things have happened so who knows

Eric the Red
01-15-2012, 02:15 PM
Good point about Arenado, I didn't realize they had a prospect in waiting. With that being the case, Francisco won't interest them. Colorado had been pursuing pitching, but I wouldn't trade Homer Bailey for Smith and the Reds don't have any other major league ready pitching to deal after the Wood and Volquez trades.

jwmann2
01-15-2012, 03:18 PM
This is all speculation. Could be something, most likely nothing. Wish we had tons of money and didn't have to worry about all of this low budget crap.

brad1176
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Colorado says they want a SP in a trade for Smith, I don't see that happening from us. I think Walt already knows who he's getting, he's just waiting until Madson's deal becomes official which should be this week.

Krawhitham
01-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Personally I'd like to see Walt acquire Seth Smith from Colorado. I'm not sure if Juan Francisco straight up would get it done (likely not judging by the Marshall trade) but depending on the price, he is the player I would target. If not him, my guess is the Reds sign Kosuke Fukodome or Ryan Ludwick.

I too take Walt at his word when he says he'd like to have something done within the next week, so I'll bet something happens.

trading Juan Francisco would be insane, you can not rely on Rolen to stay healthy

Eric the Red
01-15-2012, 06:02 PM
trading Juan Francisco would be insane, you can not rely on Rolen to stay healthy

I'm just not sold Francisco will out perform Frazier and Cairo in a backup role in 2012. Going forward beyond 2012, I don't see Francisco as the long term solution at 3B therefore he is expendable imo.

R_Webb18
01-15-2012, 06:04 PM

wats better seth s or (rolen+francisco / rolen + backup)? idk the answer but close imo

Nathan
01-15-2012, 10:28 PM
This is all speculation. Could be something, most likely nothing. Wish we had tons of money and didn't have to worry about all of this low budget crap.

I'm having a hard time buying that. The way the players they have acquired and the contracts they are signed to, they are looking at creative ways to get them. (For instance, if the Madson contract is structured the way it's been reported, that was a slick move.)

I honestly believe that Jocketty is up to something though regarding both LF and a back-up infielder. When he says he is, I have to believe him. He almost NEVER drops hints like this, and when he does, something is almost assuredly eminent

Blood Red Path
01-15-2012, 11:51 PM
I really get the feeling that Walt is working on a deal for Martin Prado. Prado as a "super-utility" type at under $5mil seems to satisfy enough needs for the Reds to put a bow on this hot stove season.

It's really only a hunch, but Walt has said that he's looking for a guy who can play more than left, and he has alluded to being close to addressing needs in both the infield and outfield. Prado, who the Braves have made it known is available for the right deal, would "kill two birds with one stone".

Prado's numbers prior to a down season last year...
2008 - 254 PA's / 121 OPS+ / 1.2 WAR
2009 - 503 PA's / 117 OPS+ / 2.5 WAR
2010 - 651 PA's / 119 OPS+ / 3.0 WAR

A potential return to those types of numbers combined with his versatility makes him a nice value at $4.75M. Prado is only 28 years old and he still has another year of arbitration eligibility. His low K-rate and likely OBP in the .350 range make him a candidate to spot start as the leadoff guy as well.

I'm not sure what Walt would be able to give up to get Prado, perhaps something like Ondrusek, Valaika, and Phipps? Or maybe Masset in the deal? Or Gregorius? It hurts that the Reds don't have a very attractive OF to offer the Braves, but I still think Walt may be on the verge of somehow getting this done- I just hope he doesn't overpay.

Alpha Zero
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Depending on the price, I probably wouldn't mind Prado. I don't think he's much of an upgrade over Heisey, but he would be quite valuable if Rolen lands on the DL for an extended period of time. I'd still rather look for someone who's capable of hitting behind Votto.

UPRedsFan
01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Can he play short as well?

UPRedsFan
01-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Hmmm.... so what could it be?

A trade for Prado?
Sign Oswalt? and trade Chapman, Bailey or Arroyo for offense?
A trade for a cleanup hitting left fielder?
Sign a backup shortstop?
Sign an insurance starting pitcher to a minor league deal?

I can't wait to find out this week!

jhu1321
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Seth Smith just signed again with Colorado.

Spider Tre
01-16-2012, 01:43 PM
Seth Smith just signed again with Colorado.and then traded to Oakland

texasdave
01-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Seth Smith just signed again with Colorado.

I kinda fancied Seth Smith. Of course, that might just be because I saw him hit two bombs in one game against the Reds back in August. :)