PDA

View Full Version : Conflicted

Larry Schuler
01-17-2012, 04:33 PM
I want to be excited about the Reds but I also know I will be sad if they do bad. Should I enjoy myself and get excited or should I protect myself and say I'm "not sold" on the Reds? I want to be happy but I don't want to get hurt or be wrong. I want to be right and.protected but I don't want to copy and paste a statistical chart comparing Ludwick to similar players throughout history. I am filled with conflict. :eek:

dMaus14
01-17-2012, 04:49 PM
I see no problem in getting excited because if they don't do well they have plenty of trade pieces for the deadline in Votto, Phillips, Madson and Marshall. We can replenish the farm and have money to spend still with still Cueto, Latos and Leake at the top of the rotation for 2013.

OGB
01-17-2012, 05:44 PM
No offense, man, but this post makes me question how much of a sports fan you are. Sports, like life in general, comes with its highs and lows. The bittersweet experience of making the playoffs only to get swept, a losing season when you expect success, a star pitcher blowing out his arm in April--these are the things that make wins (particularly things like walk offs, division clinchers, or playoff or world series deciding wins) gratifying.

If all you ever experienced in sports was success and happiness, then the impact of winning would be lessened. As far as I'm concerned, there is no way to go except all in when it comes to emotional investment in your team. That doesn't mean you have to have unrealistic expectations, but there's no excuse for keeping your passion in check.

IamRV
01-17-2012, 11:02 PM
... I don't want to get hurt or be wrong. I want to be right and.protected ...

Don't know if I can ever understand this line of thinking. Could someone please enlighten me how someone can feel a personal betrayal due to a team not living up to what your expectations or brags you made or how it impacts your self worth?

RedsfaninMT
01-17-2012, 11:13 PM
Imagine what it would be like to be a Cubs fan! Then sit back and truly enjoy the season. I feel so lucky to have been to World Series games in '70, '72, '75 and '76, then to watch again (on TV from MT) in '90. I will carry those memories with me till the day I die. I would not have enjoyed the ride, had I been pessimistic about the outcome...though I will admit I didn't think they stood a chance in '90. Nothing like going to a WS game with your dad.

C'mon Man...it's a game.

texasdave
01-18-2012, 01:42 AM
The OP was being tongue-in-cheek with the entire post. It was not meant to be taken at face value.

Reds
01-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Oh yes, get excited. Make sure you wear your boner pants, because you will have an erection. I want a worlds championship. I have no memories of ultimate success, other than on tapes. Two decades without the prize. I'm a quarter century old. If we don't win in five years I'm moving back to Cincinnati, getting season tickets and I will personally guide the team to victory through my intense concentration and sheer will to watch a winner on the ball field. that is all. get excited.