PDA

View Full Version : Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

gonelong
01-17-2012, 08:58 PM
There can be only one.

I have mentioned disc golf a few times on this forum without nary a nod from any other poster. Surely I can't be the only poster here that has plays regularly, or has played at all ... can I?

I picked this up two years ago regularly play the following courses ...

Indian Riffle Park Kettering, OH
Belmont Park Dayton, OH
Sycamore Trails DGC Miamisburg, OH
Community Park DGC Troy, OH
Duke Foundation DGC Piqua, OH
Englewood MetroPark DGC Englewood, OH

and hit this one time ...
Alum Creek Disc Golf Course Delaware, OH

I am looking to make a weekend trip to play 3-4 Cincy courses, catch a Reds game (or two), etc. If you can recommend some interesting courses within 30 mins in any direction of the ball-yard, please do so.

GL

The DARK
01-18-2012, 02:42 AM
You're not! Cincinnati is actually one of the best cities for disc golf that I've come across, and has hosted a few PDGA world championships in the past. Here are my recommendations:

Mt. Airy- A great place to start. It's only a few miles from downtown, has a great pro shop, and is very well maintained. Absolutely no reason not to play here.

Idlewild- One of the best pro-caliber courses you'll ever see. The design is amazing, and it's been lovingly kept fresh. Be warned though; if you're not confident in your skills, this course will truly punish you. There's nothing close to a "gimme" hole, and the only ace run recently got a redesign.

Banklick (Lincoln Ridge)- Idlewild's 24-hole counterpart a few miles away. Not nearly as difficult, but arguably much more fun for the casual golfer, and a great way to spend your day. It attracts a real crowd.

Woodland Mound- One of the old Steady Ed-desinged courses. It's fun to see the dated elements like concrete circles around the baskets and absurdly generous pars on the signs, given that it's a relatively open (still with enough lone trees and gulleys to make it interesting) course full of ace runs. Generally crowded, but still good if you're looking for a fourth option.

As for the rest, since you're coming from the Dayton area, take the time to stop by Disctractions at Hueston Woods if you can. It's a brand new 27-hole course with in beautiful natural setting that I've heard great things about. If you're going to be spending a full day at the Kentucky courses, Boone Woods isn't too bad. Gulley and AJ Jolly are pretty good, but not worth the long drives. Avoid Winton Woods (old, overcrowded, and in desperate need of a redesign) and Pride Park (baskets gone). Check out dgcoursereview.com for directions and reviews... it's a great resource.

Hope I helped!

gonelong
01-18-2012, 11:38 AM
As for the rest, since you're coming from the Dayton area, take the time to stop by Disctractions at Hueston Woods if you can.

I have camped at Hueston Woods at least a dozen times (though not in a few years), love that area.

Check out dgcoursereview.com for directions and reviews... it's a great resource.

I have that bookmarked on my smartphone, comes in real handy when trying to locate and navigate a course for the first time.

Hope I helped!

Most definately! Thank you! PM me if you are going to be up in my neck of the woods and want to play a course or two. Be happy to have you. I live North of Dayton, but work in Fairborn. I would be happy to meet up in North Cincy (weekends)/South Dayton (weekdays) if we can work it out.

I hope to give some of the Cincy courses a run this Spring.

GL

RichRed
01-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I like disc golf too, though it's been a while since I played. There's a park 5 minutes from me here in VB with a course that gets a good amount of traffic. There were even about a dozen or so diehards out there on Christmas morning, even though the park was technically closed.

gonelong
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I like disc golf too, though it's been a while since I played. There's a park 5 minutes from me here in VB with a course that gets a good amount of traffic. There were even about a dozen or so diehards out there on Christmas morning, even though the park was technically closed.

I played 6 times in December in 2011, and once in January. Hope to get out this weekend. This weather has been awesome for that.

VB? (Edit: Virginia Beach, Doh!)

GL

SunDeck
01-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Only played a couple times, but I've been to this. It's an incredibly cool event.

2011 Urban Skins Disc Golf Asheville- Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_mTaJCQep4)

Rojo
01-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I've only played a few times as well but I love it. There's a course in Golden Gate Park, less than a mile from my apartment. The only problem is that it's the only course in San Francisco and is always packed. I'm a virtual newbie and don't want too many witnesses to my flailing.

My brother bought me a driver and a putter. I get the need for those two -- the driver sails more than a regular frisbee and the putter "absorbs" the chains. But the other golfers have, like, two dozen disks with them. What are they all for?

gonelong
01-18-2012, 06:46 PM
I've only played a few times as well but I love it. There's a course in Golden Gate Park, less than a mile from my apartment. The only problem is that it's the only course in San Francisco and is always packed. I'm a virtual newbie and don't want too many witnesses to my flailing.

My brother bought me a driver and a putter. I get the need for those two -- the driver sails more than a regular frisbee and the putter "absorbs" the chains. But the other golfers have, like, two dozen disks with them. What are they all for?

I started with 3 disks two years ago. I have about 20 discs and may use up to 10-12 of them in any given round.

The disks are of different weight, design, material type, and flight characteristics. Matching these disc variables with your throwing abilties (speed, power, spin rate, accuracy, ability to throw level) will allow you to shape your shots around obstacles (water, trees, etc.), throw for distance, and accurately position yourself close to the basket on up-shots.

Image a large tree directly in your flight path ... 1/3, 1/2, or 2/3 of the distance between you and the basket. Now vary the distance to the basket from 50 ft, to 100 ft, to 150 ft, to 200 ft, to 250 ft. Now image you need to approach the hole from the right side of the tree, and then next time from the left. In once case you can throw very high, in the other you must throw low (under tree branches). I'd use about 6-8 different disks to accomplish these. It'd be much tougher to do it with just one or two, consistently.

There are also many ways to throw a disc. Search Utube for "discraft disc golf" and then backhand, forehand, thumber, roller, scoobie, and putting and you will get some idea why there are so many disks and why guys carry a good assortment of them. Additionally, it is not unusual to lose a disc occasionally. I carry doubles of my favorite discs.

Discs have speed, glide, turn, fade. Here is a good thumbnail (http://discsunlimited.net/descriptions/innova_descriptions/innova_flight_rating_system.html)of what these are.

Discs sort of generically have an elongated "S" shaped flight path. Straight, then veering right, then straighter, then veering back left. (disc is spinning clockwise)

That is, they have a tendency to fight to go to the right (turn) on a Right Hand Backhand throw (disc is spinning clockwise) and, as they slow down, they fight to come back to the left (fade). Discs that resist turn are still affected by turn, and discs that hold a turn throughout their path still fight to fade back over. Given enough height, all discs would fade back over to the left, regardless of their high speed turn rating.

Overstable disks want to fade more. Underpowering this disk will cause it to fade even more. Understable disks want to turn more. Overpowering this disk will cause it to turn even more.

GL

Rojo
01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Now I'm even more intimidated. Thanks GL. :)

Seriously, that's all pretty interesting. And here I thought these guys were just posing with their many, many discs.

SunDeck
01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
I couldn't find any left handed discs. That's why I don't play.

BuckeyeRed27
01-18-2012, 08:18 PM
I couldn't find any left handed discs. That's why I don't play.

It's easy. They are in the same section with the left footed socks.

I used to play a lot in high school. There was a course right down the street from my house in Anderson, but I haven't played in over 10 years.

gonelong
01-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Now I'm even more intimidated. Thanks GL. :)

Sorry! :laugh:

Seriously, that's all pretty interesting. And here I thought these guys were just posing with their many, many discs.

Some of them are. ;)

I am by no means an expert, so above should be taken with a grain of salt. Besides, all that assumes you throw the disk level. If you have either the left/right side up/down at various angles the disk will have a much different flight path, especially when you pair it with various thrown speeds of the disk.

So far I have met nothing but good people disc golfing. I spent a good deal of time asking people why they threw a certain disc, in that specific situation, and how. To a person, all have been nothing but helpful even in the middle of a competitive round.

I gave traded in golfing for disc golfing. Still competitive and still a lot to master at a fraction of the time and cost to participate. IMO it's relaxing, while golf regularly left me frustrated.

GL

Rojo
01-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I gave traded in golfing for disc golfing. Still competitive and still a lot to master at a fraction of the time and cost to participate. IMO it's relaxing, while golf regularly left me frustrated.

As long as I don't have to become a drumcircle/hackeysack/Phish guy.

gonelong
01-19-2012, 05:20 PM
As long as I don't have to become a drumcircle/hackeysack/Phish guy.

I am (almost) 42, work in managment, own a polo shirt, hold multiple degrees and certifications, married (happily), have offspring, own a home, my car will start, I show up on time, and I have a "career path".

In the league I played last summer almost any two of these combined would differentiate me from 90+% or more of the group. I'm not sure who was more suprised the first week I showed up at the local DG league, the rest of the group, or me. :laugh:

All in all, a very good group of guys.

GL

Rojo
01-19-2012, 05:37 PM
I am (almost) 42, work in managment, own a polo shirt, hold multiple degrees and certifications, married (happily), have offspring, own a home, my car will start, I show up on time, and I have a "career path".

I'm 43 but it's not the age. It's just this town is lousy with Trustafarians, who seem to have the time to clog up the course 24/7. I took an odd, rainy Friday off last February just so I could have the course to myself. Nope.

gonelong
01-23-2012, 02:54 PM
Went out yesterday, while it was cold, I believe I threw my longest drive ever. I was pretty close to 400', I generally live in the 300-320' range, so it was a bomb by my standards. I proceeded to miss the 15' putt I left myself on the hole and carded a 3 as did all 3 of my playing partners. *mumble*

GL

code
01-23-2012, 07:15 PM
There can be only one.

I have mentioned disc golf a few times on this forum without nary a nod from any other poster. Surely I can't be the only poster here that has plays regularly, or has played at all ... can I?

I picked this up two years ago regularly play the following courses ...

Indian Riffle Park Kettering, OH
Belmont Park Dayton, OH
Sycamore Trails DGC Miamisburg, OH
Community Park DGC Troy, OH
Duke Foundation DGC Piqua, OH
Englewood MetroPark DGC Englewood, OH

and hit this one time ...
Alum Creek Disc Golf Course Delaware, OH

I am looking to make a weekend trip to play 3-4 Cincy courses, catch a Reds game (or two), etc. If you can recommend some interesting courses within 30 mins in any direction of the ball-yard, please do so.

GL

Wow! thats awesome. I have played it once when I met up with some frineds in Wisconsin before the OSU football game. I didn't realize we had that many courses in ohio and around me! (I live in Fairborn, Ohio)

It was a blast and I have been trying to get some friends this summer to hit up a course. It's to bad we can't drink beer in State parks in Ohio like we did in Wisconsin. :(

GAC
01-24-2012, 06:02 AM
They built a disc golf course here in the city park in Bellefontaine about 2 years ago, but I've never checked it out. It can't be too big because the park itself is not that large.

When I lived in Columbus, back in the 80s, there had a couple nice courses in the Metro Parks that I played quite a bit. I enjoyed it too.

About 12 years ago we took the kids and went camping over in Indiana at a Yogi Bear Campground. They had an 18 hole disc golf course built into the woods there. It was a nice course, one could tell they invested some money; but it was the most challenging course I'd ever played.

gonelong
01-24-2012, 10:06 AM
They built a disc golf course here in the city park in Bellefontaine about 2 years ago, but I've never checked it out. It can't be too big because the park itself is not that large.

The Mary Rutan DGC, it's on my short list of courses to get to. It's a pretty well rated course, the only issue is that it's kinda out by itself.

GL

GAC
01-26-2012, 05:55 AM
The Mary Rutan DGC, it's on my short list of courses to get to. It's a pretty well rated course, the only issue is that it's kinda out by itself.

GL

I'll have to look into it when warm weather gets here. It's something else I can get involved in with my boys. I found this. Wow! I didn't realize it was this extensive of a course.....

http://www.maryrutandiscgolfcourse.synthasite.com/

Let me know when you decide to come play it. It's a very short distance from my home.

gonelong
01-26-2012, 10:22 AM
I'll have to look into it when warm weather gets here. It's something else I can get involved in with my boys. I found this. Wow! I didn't realize it was this extensive of a course.....

http://www.maryrutandiscgolfcourse.synthasite.com/ (http://www.maryrutandiscgolfcourse.synthasite.com/)

Let me know when you decide to come play it. It's a very short distance from my home.

Thanks for the link. Looks like a course that requires a bit of skill, some distance here and there, and solid course management. Can't wait to get there. Will let you know when we are headed up. (Spring?)

GL

dabvu2498
01-26-2012, 01:13 PM
My dad lives near Bowling Green, KY, which has become a bit of a hot bed of disc golf for whatever reason.

He's taken it up and is quite good.

I've played with him a couple times and it gives him great joy to smoke me.

GAC
01-27-2012, 05:15 AM
My dad lives near Bowling Green, KY, which has become a bit of a hot bed of disc golf for whatever reason.

He's taken it up and is quite good.

I've played with him a couple times and it gives him great joy to smoke me.

Growing up we use to take our annual camping vacation to Bowling Green, and a campground/amusement park called Beech Bend. Hear of it? My brother says it's still there, and running strong. Great times there.

dabvu2498
01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Growing up we use to take our annual camping vacation to Bowling Green, and a campground/amusement park called Beech Bend. Hear of it? My brother says it's still there, and running strong. Great times there.

Oh yeah. I was born in BGKY, but I haven't been to Beech Bend in eons. I know they have a drag strip out there that's become sort of a big deal.

RedsManRick
01-27-2012, 01:32 PM
I played in high school -- there were a number of really nice courses in the western 'burbs of Minneapolis. Can't say I've played recently, but think I still have a cheetah, rhino and birdie buried somewhere.

gonelong
01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
Went out on Sunday. Chilly and windy, but had a good time. Didn't shoot real well though.

Took a neighbor for his second outing ... his backhand was very, very weak. I had him throw 3-4 forehands in an open field and he used that for his drive the rest of the day getting a few 220+ (was only getting 150 or so on backhands). The last hole we played was 245 ft. and he birdied it. I think we have a convert, ha ha.

GL

gonelong
02-27-2012, 12:30 PM
This nice weather is going to really boost my game for next summer. I have been able to get out 5-6 times in both Dec and January, and 3 times in February so far. I should be able to start off in mid-season form.

I have been fiddling with my grip, approach, and technique this winter ... I am now consistently getting 320+ off the Tee on longer holes and my driving accuracy is improving by leaps and bounds. I will occasionally bomb one 360+ which is 100ft further than summer of 2011.

I have worked to get much more aggressive in my putting, and it is really paying off. I am 5x better at putting than I was 4 months ago.

I am regularly pushing even on most courses and will suspect I will be able to go negative quite often this summer.

I also found this chart, which has helped me refine what I carry in my bag and determine which disks might be good buys for me.

http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf
GL

gonelong
03-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Just missed my first ace last week. Downhill 330 footer, hit the basket.

First week for blind-draw doubles at the local course this week!

GL

gonelong
06-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Wow! thats awesome. I have played it once when I met up with some frineds in Wisconsin before the OSU football game. I didn't realize we had that many courses in ohio and around me! (I live in Fairborn, Ohio)

It was a blast and I have been trying to get some friends this summer to hit up a course. It's to bad we can't drink beer in State parks in Ohio like we did in Wisconsin. :(

I missed this the first time through, Fairborn has a course over by the high school. *Very* challanging from what I understand. Despite working within 10 minutes of the course, I have not had a chance to play it yet.

GL

gonelong
06-07-2012, 11:33 AM

http://www.maryrutandiscgolfcourse.synthasite.com/ (http://www.maryrutandiscgolfcourse.synthasite.com/)

I haven't forgot about this, just took on some career building opportunities at work this summer. Looks like I should free up later this summer/early fall.

GL

GAC
06-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Shoot me a PM whenever you can make it here to play. You'll kick my butt though, because I haven't played in quite some time. I'll have to run over to Dunhams and get me a disk. LOL

My daughter graduates from college this weekend, and is coming home for the summer. She's very athletic, so maybe her and I will get some practice in. ;)

RedLegsToday
06-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Just missed my first ace last week. Downhill 330 footer, hit the basket.

I've had knee problems for the past year+ (hurt while playing disc golf). Had to have my knee scoped back in March. Went out to Harbin Park (in Fairfield) to just sort of putz around and throw. Aced 16! It's only 220 feet though. First ace in, like 5 years. First was old #10 at Banklick or whatever they are calling it now. 370 feet, skipped in. It took about 5 seconds for it to register. :-) I can't wait to start playing regularly again.

gonelong
07-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Idlewild- One of the best pro-caliber courses you'll ever see. The design is amazing, and it's been lovingly kept fresh. Be warned though; if you're not confident in your skills, this course will truly punish you. There's nothing close to a "gimme" hole, and the only ace run recently got a redesign.

Played idlewild a few weeks back. I wasn't having my best day and the first round put my tail between my legs. Bucked up and played a pretty nice 2nd round but that course is no joke.

Still don't have an ace to my name, have hit the basket no less than 1/2 dozen times this year but can't get one in. I do have a 1/2 dozen 150 ft+ makes to my name, but can't seem to get an ace. *frustrating*

GL

RedTeamGo!
07-02-2014, 02:16 PM
I used to play poker with this guy when I lived in Charlotte:

http://www.pdga.com/player/20300

CoachBombay
07-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Played idlewild a few weeks back. I wasn't having my best day and the first round put my tail between my legs. Bucked up and played a pretty nice 2nd round but that course is no joke.

Still don't have an ace to my name, have hit the basket no less than 1/2 dozen times this year but can't get one in. I do have a 1/2 dozen 150 ft+ makes to my name, but can't seem to get an ace. *frustrating*

GL

How am I just now seeing this thread. I love Disc Golf. Have been playing nonstop for about 10 years now. Surprisingly ive had about a dozen Aces. 6 or so at Woodland Mound in Hamilton County. There was a good stretch that everytime my buddy and I would buy a new frisbee we would hit a hole in one. Playing course par at woodland mound my average is 28 under and my best is 34 under. Playing banklick my average is 10 under. And Mt Airy a 6 under.

Fargo Red
07-03-2014, 12:54 AM
I've been playing for about 20 years. I have played some of the top rated courses in the US...Blue Ribbon Pines (MN), Coyote Point (CA). I even designed a course in my home town. Never been to Ohio but it sounds like you have some nice courses. I would love to make it to Ohio for a week of disc golf and Red's games!

gonelong
08-04-2014, 12:02 PM
GL

My skill and distance has increased quite a bit this summer and I am playing more courses that give me a better shot at an ace. I generally only get out once a week but have been playing two rounds each time I go. 9 Rounds in July and I hit a couple more baskets off the tee this month, two of them at 250+, and still no ace. *sigh*

GL