PDA

View Full Version : Bill James ranks the top pitching duels of 2011

RedEye
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
The one-and-only James stages a fascinating (and extraordinarily long) breakdown of the top 100 SP match-ups of last season.
(http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7480753/bill-james-100-best-pitchers-duels-2011)
A small excerpt of the end, with an injection of his characteristic, self-deprecating humor:

Among the 100 top pitchers' duels of 2011, Cliff Lee and Jered Weaver were involved in 11 each, Tim Lincecum in 10, Verlander in eight, Doug Fister, Cole Hamels, and Clayton Kershaw in seven. The best major league pitcher who wasn't involved in any of the top 100 was Yovanni Gallardo, although Gallardo did have one 1-0 game that somehow didn't make the list.

What did I really learn from doing this? One thing: Umpires' mistakes are greatly magnified in a pitchers' duel. If you look at ordinary games, maybe one in 50 turns on an umpire's mistake. If the pitchers are dominant, it goes to more like one in ten.

My list of the 100 best pitchers' duels of 2011 is better than your list, for one reason and one reason only.

You don't have any list.

Sometimes I find it hard to believe that this guy is still doing this level of analysis after so many years. Of current sports writers of all stripes, he and Bill Simmons might have the most sheer endurance for minutiae. Really unbelievable!

mattfeet
01-20-2012, 01:12 PM
4 shout-outs for Cueto and Cincinnati. Record of 3-1 in those games. Not bad.

-Matt

RedlegJake
01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Latos made the list three times losing all three. He has to be thrilled to be getting some run support this season.

MikeThierry
01-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Is this just regular season? I dont' know how Chris Carpenter vs. Roy Halladay in game 5 of the NLDS doesn't get on the list. As much as everyone hates Carpenter here, you all have to at least admit that was an amazingly pitched game on both sides with a 1-0 win determining who goes on to the next round. This game meets all his criteria which was a low-scoring game, quality pitchers on the mound, pitchers pitch well, and something is at stake. If the deciding game of a playoff series doesn't fall into the category of "something is at stake", I don't know what does.

RedlegJake
01-20-2012, 02:11 PM
@ Mike - yeah it has to be just the regular season or the Carpenter-Halladay game would be in the top 2 or 3.

MikeThierry
01-20-2012, 02:16 PM
@ Mike - yeah it has to be just the regular season or the Carpenter-Halladay game would be in the top 2 or 3.

I would even argue that game was better than Game 6 of the World Series simply because of how great the pitching was.

MikeS21
01-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Latos made the list three times losing all three. He has to be thrilled to be getting some run support this season.
That remains to be seen. :p

RedlegJake
01-21-2012, 05:34 PM
That remains to be seen. :p

If he gets worse support with the Reds than he got with the good fathers I'll eat his ballcard and put it on you tube for you to enjoy! ;)

MikeThierry
01-21-2012, 06:45 PM
If he gets worse support with the Reds than he got with the good fathers I'll eat his ballcard and put it on you tube for you to enjoy! ;)

Hopes he gets less run support just to see that! :laugh::lol: