PDA

View Full Version : Could the As Return to Philadelphia?

savafan
01-20-2012, 02:26 PM
http://blogs.phillymag.com/the_philly_post/2012/01/19/return-philadelphia/

reds1869
01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Not a chance. If the A's move it will not be to Philadelphia.

Tom Servo
01-20-2012, 04:46 PM
I've suggested this in the past, I really don't see how they could possibly do worse in Philly than in Oakland. Plus they have a long tradition (admittedly a lot of it losing, but still not as bad as the Phillies) in Philadelphia, I for one would love to see it. I doubt the Phillies would go for it though.

Vottomatic
01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Geez. Aren't there any other cities in this country that could support mlb? What about like Charlotte or Oklahoma City or New Orleans?

Vottomatic
01-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Geez. Aren't there any other cities in this country that could support mlb? What about like Charlotte or Oklahoma City or New Orleans?

Johnny Footstool
01-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Portland.

Joseph
01-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Louisville :)

traderumor
01-20-2012, 07:07 PM
The Indians were selling out the Jake during the last half of the 90s. Phillies are in a similar period. It will end, as will the sellouts and all the "rabid fans" can move on to their next fad.

MikeThierry
01-20-2012, 08:15 PM
I think San Jose would still be a prime location to move the A's. Team still gets to remain in the AL West, but have a larger population base and go from a median house income of 49K to 79K.

cincrazy
01-21-2012, 12:31 AM
The Indians were selling out the Jake during the last half of the 90s. Phillies are in a similar period. It will end, as will the sellouts and all the "rabid fans" can move on to their next fad.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Phillies are a major East Coast market, while the Indians are a small Midwest market. Big difference.

KronoRed
01-21-2012, 12:54 AM
I think San Jose would still be a prime location to move the A's. Team still gets to remain in the AL West, but have a larger population base and go from a median house income of 49K to 79K.

Exactly, the Giants only have territorial rights there because the A's offered them up when the Giants couldn't find a place to build a stadium.

San Jose A's!

RedlegJake
01-21-2012, 09:58 AM
I also think San Jose would be the logical place to move the team. Philly reeks of tradition but the Phillies would fight it tooth and nail. Charlotte would screw up the alignment - I don't see baseball allowing it, and its another reason Philadelphia wouldn't work. Portland would make a pitch and be the second logical choice, and still be a West Coast location.

Las Vegas would like a team but baseball would be crazy to allow it - too many other distractions and too much bad association for a sport that supposedly hates gambling.

San Antonio wants a ML team, too but despite its large metropolitan size it is actually quite isolated - the surrounding counties are sparsely populated for a long long way. I wonder if they have the geographic pulling power to make it as a ML market. Baseball is a lot different in its population requirements than basketball.

WVRed
01-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Portland.

Agreed. Just makes too much sense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2727901

I'd like to see Nike get involved with the A's uniforms like they did with Oregon's.

reds1869
01-21-2012, 11:50 AM
I also think Portland is the most logical choice.

Benihana
01-21-2012, 11:55 AM
Austin, TX

HokieRed
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
San Jose. But I hope they stay in Oakland. I like going to see them there. Ballpark's underrated, crowd's raucous and fun.

traderumor
01-21-2012, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't be so sure of that. The Phillies are a major East Coast market, while the Indians are a small Midwest market. Big difference.
They were a "big East Coast market" prior to the Citizens Bank Era. The new ballpark theory has already run its course, the team is the draw. Once they cycle through, so will the fair weather fans move on to their next entertainment venture.

BTW, I heard the same thing in the midst of the Indians run, there was always some reason it was sustainable, then management shot itself in the foot long about 2001 or 2002, game over. People think these things will go on forever and there is always some logical reason why, but then it doesn't.

Stewie
01-21-2012, 01:57 PM

When I was younger (before I moved away from Philadelphia), some buddies and I used to go to the Vet, pay our $6 for some gen admission tickets, head out to the upper deck - and have an entire section to ourselves. If you wanted to get food or use the restroom, you'd have to walk halfway around the stadium to find a restroom/concession stand that was actually open. This was only about 10 years ago. Granted, the Vet wasn't the greatest place in the world to watch a ballgame, but even in the first few years of CBP it was easy to walk up and get decent tickets just before the game started. That all changed once they started making the playoffs. I was out there last summer and had to spend $28 (in advance, no less) for some SRO tickets to a random weekend afternoon game against the Padres. It seems easy to suggest now that Philly could support a second team, 10 years ago that idea would have been ridiculous. The city could barely support the one that was there.

traderumor
01-21-2012, 02:15 PM
When I was younger (before I moved away from Philadelphia), some buddies and I used to go to the Vet, pay our $6 for some gen admission tickets, head out to the upper deck - and have an entire section to ourselves. If you wanted to get food or use the restroom, you'd have to walk halfway around the stadium to find a restroom/concession stand that was actually open. This was only about 10 years ago. Granted, the Vet wasn't the greatest place in the world to watch a ballgame, but even in the first few years of CBP it was easy to walk up and get decent tickets just before the game started. That all changed once they started making the playoffs. I was out there last summer and had to spend $28 (in advance, no less) for some SRO tickets to a random weekend afternoon game against the Padres. It seems easy to suggest now that Philly could support a second team, 10 years ago that idea would have been ridiculous. The city could barely support the one that was there.Yup, I'm not sure how many times people have to see the cycles before they recognize the patterns. I know, I know, this one's different.

RBA
01-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Is Portland big enough for two baseball teams called the Athletics?

http://portlandathletics.weebly.com/index.html

Edd Roush
01-22-2012, 12:26 PM
But I hope they stay in Oakland. I like going to see them there. Ballpark's underrated, crowd's raucous and fun.

Really? I have only been to Oakland once and to one ballgame, but it was easily the worst major league baseball game experience I have ever attended. It was last year in September so the A's were way out of it, but there were very few fans at the game and the stadium itself was worse than all MLB stadiums I have been to and a few of the AAA ballparks I have been to and if the Dragons stadium was larger in Dayton, it would easily provide a better MLB experience. I have no ties to Oakland and only have one (underwhelming) experience, so I would have no problem with the A's moving out of Oakland. I honestly can't believe Oakland has three major professional sports franchises and Cincinnati two.

RBA
01-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Really? I have only been to Oakland once and to one ballgame, but it was easily the worst major league baseball game experience I have ever attended. It was last year in September so the A's were way out of it, but there were very few fans at the game and the stadium itself was worse than all MLB stadiums I have been to and a few of the AAA ballparks I have been to and if the Dragons stadium was larger in Dayton, it would easily provide a better MLB experience. I have no ties to Oakland and only have one (underwhelming) experience, so I would have no problem with the A's moving out of Oakland. I honestly can't believe Oakland has three major professional sports franchises and Cincinnati two.

Oakland is a bad place for watching a game. The fans do not go up the stairs and walk behind the seated fans. They walk in front of them, blocking the views of the people seated and it's a constant stream.

Edd Roush
01-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Oakland is a bad place for watching a game. The fans do not go up the stairs and walk behind the seated fans. They walk in front of them, blocking the views of the people seated and it's a constant stream.

When I went last September, my buddy and I did not have this problem as we bought upper deck tickets and walked all the way down to the second row. We also were able to drive right up to the stadium and were shocked by how few fans were there and how little A's memorabilia there is hanging around the stadium. Truly horrible place to watch a game. Right across the bay, the Giants have, in my opinion, the best stadium in baseball, so I can see how all non-Oakland/SF residents would want to be Giants fans. San Francisco has a beautiful stadium; Oakland has garbage.

Tom Servo
01-22-2012, 02:17 PM
I honestly can't believe Oakland has three major professional sports franchises and Cincinnati two.
They could soon have none, as the Raiders and A's are almost certain to leave eventually even the Warriors are trying to bolt across the bay to SF.

remdog
01-22-2012, 02:31 PM
The deal for a stadium in Newark/San Jose makes great sense. It's where they should play. The only barrior that remains is for MLB to tell the Giants that they don't have territorial rights there anymore.

Done deal.

Rem

Edd Roush
01-22-2012, 02:34 PM
They could soon have none, as the Raiders and A's are almost certain to leave eventually even the Warriors are trying to bolt across the bay to SF.

The A's to San Jose/Portland makes more sense than Oakland to me and obviously the Raiders to LA makes more sense than Oakland. The Warriors moving would be the least obvious move, but I think San Francisco is a much better landing place than Oakland. Again, I am sure there may be decent places in Oakland, I just didn't see them in my short trip there.

HokieRed
01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Sorry, guys, I like Oakland stadium. Angles are good everywhere, seats are cheap, I've never had the slightest problem with people walking in front of me. People are friendly. Go there in the middle of the summer and it's about twenty degrees warmer than across the bay. I like it.

Edd Roush
01-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry, guys, I like Oakland stadium. Angles are good everywhere, seats are cheap, I've never had the slightest problem with people walking in front of me. People are friendly. Go there in the middle of the summer and it's about twenty degrees warmer than across the bay. I like it.

There may be good sightlines and I definitely agree the weather is better, but there is nothing unique about the stadium and the scoreboard is the smallest I can remember. It just seems like Riverfront used to be. A stadium that is very practical, but really boring. I just didn't think there was much there for "fan experience."

oregonred
01-22-2012, 11:34 PM
1) San Jose/Santa Clara (no brainer)
2) Austin/San Antonio (Tx needs a third team, but will need to be an NL team after the Astros move to the AL)
3) Portland

westofyou
01-22-2012, 11:37 PM

Al Davisvruined that park, it used to be sweet now it's bizarre and outdated, cold at night too, much warmer in San Jose

HokieRed
01-22-2012, 11:42 PM
Al Davisvruined that park, it used to be sweet now it's bizarre and outdated, cold at night too, much warmer in San Jose

Warmer in San Jose, true, but Oak's still a lot warmer than SF. Outdated is also what some of us are.

mth123
01-23-2012, 07:04 AM
1) San Jose/Santa Clara (no brainer)
2) Austin/San Antonio (Tx needs a third team, but will need to be an NL team after the Astros move to the AL)
3) Portland

Moving the A's to Austin/San Antonio and leaving them in the AL might be pretty cool. You'd have a cluster of teams all in the same division within driving distance. That may make Texas similar to New England where teams are close together and competing.

pedro
01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
The Oakland Coliseum is a dump. It can be fun to go to games there, especially if there is more than 2000 people at the game and the concessions are pretty good (better beer selection than Cincinnati IMO) but still, Mt. Davis is center field sealed that place as a baseball stadium. Back when I was in HS we used to go to day games on the weekends and it was great, but not it is time to move on. No way a MLB baseball team should still be playing there.

_Sir_Charles_
01-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Moving the A's to Austin/San Antonio and leaving them in the AL might be pretty cool. You'd have a cluster of teams all in the same division within driving distance. That may make Texas similar to New England where teams are close together and competing.

Actually, that would work. There is definitely a big enough market for another MLB team in Texas. No doubt.

Reds/Flyers Fan
01-23-2012, 11:27 AM
What about Brooklyn? I think NYC could support three teams before Philly could support two. But I'd much rather see the A's in Philly or even stay in the Bay Area than go to one of these trendy Southern cities like Charlotte or Austin that really don't deserve a team.

_Sir_Charles_
01-23-2012, 12:38 PM
What about Brooklyn? I think NYC could support three teams before Philly could support two. But I'd much rather see the A's in Philly or even stay in the Bay Area than go to one of these trendy Southern cities like Charlotte or Austin that really don't deserve a team.

I don't see any way that the NY teams would even allow it. The Texas idea has promise because we're talking about a STATE...not a CITY with multiple teams. I'd rule out Philly as well for the same reasons. The Phillies wouldn't allow it. While technically they could put them there against their objections, I think those franchises would raise enough of a ruckus to make it not worth the effort for MLB.

The Voice of IH
01-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Vegas

Chip R
01-23-2012, 02:50 PM
I don't see any way that the NY teams would even allow it. The Texas idea has promise because we're talking about a STATE...not a CITY with multiple teams.

I'm guessing TEX would put up a pretty big fuss. This would be a 3rd TEX team coming into their own division. Also they have just signed a pretty big TV deal that would probably include the Austin-Round Rock area. HOU may not care but I expect they wouldn't care for it either.

Rojo
01-23-2012, 02:55 PM
What about Brooklyn? I think NYC could support three teams before Philly could support two.

I've been pushing for a move to NYC area for a while, especially CT. It's the best way to cut into the Yankee/RedSox fanbase.

_Sir_Charles_
01-23-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm guessing TEX would put up a pretty big fuss. This would be a 3rd TEX team coming into their own division. Also they have just signed a pretty big TV deal that would probably include the Austin-Round Rock area. HOU may not care but I expect they wouldn't care for it either.

Well, I wasn't suggesting Austin but rather San Antonio. I'd be very surprised if the Rangers had San Antonio in their TV deal. Houston too. I also wouldn't want all 3 Texas teams in the same division. I still think we're due for a major realignment overhaul, but that's another discussion.

WebScorpion
01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I also think Portland is the most logical choice.Especially now that the minor league team moved out. I fear Portland is more of a soccer/basketball town, but you never know. :dunno:

cbowen2112
01-24-2012, 09:45 PM
How about Albuquerque? I mean, Walter White could possibly cook up something good for the A's management that will wake them up. ;)

Breaking Bad fans out there?

But seriously, Protland or San Jose makes a ton of sense. Ever consider Vegas?

westofyou
01-25-2012, 07:04 AM
Especially now that the minor league team moved out. I fear Portland is more of a soccer/basketball town, but you never know. :dunno:

You get product out here and the locals will show up, but the need for a facility is a bigger headache at this juncture, with no team and no stadium ( the ML field has been retrofitted for soccer and was a woeful ballpark for baseball) it is hard imagining it happening at the MLB level