PDA

View Full Version : NY Times Interview with Tom Seaver

redsmetz
01-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Interesting Q&A with Tom Seaver from today's Times.

Talks about his winery, today's game, pitch counts. He was asked what non-star or HOF'er gave him fits. He said a guy named Tommy Hutton. I looked it up - he did.

62 PA's, 50 AB's with 16 hits (including 2 doubles & 3 homers), 15 RBI's. Seaver walked him 11 times, only struck him out five times. His ultimate line was .320/.435/.540 for a .975 OPS. Actually looking at Hutton's play against pitchers who are now in the HOF, he did well against four of them.

Here's the inteview:

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/q-a-with-tom-seaver/

kaldaniels
01-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I like how he comps himself to Matt Cain, my favorite non-Reds pitcher.

cumberlandreds
01-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Thanks for posting that article. Seaver is one my all time favorites. I used to love watching him pitch even before he was a Red. I was estatic when the Reds got him and thought they would be invincible with him on the mound. Didn't quite work out that way but he did have some good seasons in Cincy. I remember Hutton owning him. One of those quirky things in baseball that you see from time to time.
I thought he must not like the travel since he had got out of broadcasting. He would have been really good at that if had chose to stay with it. But that traveling has to be a terrible grind for six or seven months a year.