Benihana
01-23-2012, 02:56 PM
www.mlbtraderumors.com

Ron Madden
01-23-2012, 02:57 PM
nm

dougdirt
01-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Here's to hoping it's a minor league deal with an invite.

01-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Good depth, especially for CF. Team will probably need him at some point in the season.

Ghosts of 1990
01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Willie!

Ron Madden
01-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Hope it's a minor league deal.

CarolinaRedleg
01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Because Louisville needs veteran leadership too.

redsmetz
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Wasn't the 40 man full already? By my count, it's at 40 (although the list doesn't currently include Ludwick online).

Ron Madden
01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Because Louisville needs veteran leadership too.

He can provide depth to the Reds OF from Louisville.

:)

Nasty_Boy
01-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Sheldon reporting it's a minor league deal with an invite.

camisadelgolf
01-23-2012, 03:37 PM
It's kind of crazy that the Reds have Willie Harris on a minor league contract a year after they signed Miguel Cairo to a multi-year deal.

lollipopcurve
01-23-2012, 03:41 PM
I like the versatility, the LH bat and the speed. Team's a little shy on OFs too.

Kc61
01-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I think Willie will see a lot of action when there are injuries in 2012. Good signing.

pedro
01-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Good signing. Can play several positions and has a history of being able to getting on base fairly well.

Roy Tucker
01-23-2012, 04:27 PM
This year's Fred Lewis.

Tom Servo
01-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Perfectly fine utility guy to have in the fold for depth.

Ron Madden
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I hope Todd Frazier beats him out in spring training for a spot on the 25 man roster.

Frazier can back up all those positions except CF.

Blitz Dorsey
01-23-2012, 04:59 PM
Well, we now have plenty of "perfect utility" guys with Frazier, Cairo and Harris. I still don't get signing Cairo to a 2-year deal after the 2010 season, but no question he's been a solid player since arriving in Cincinnati.

I'm a big fan of quality depth because in a 162-game season you're going to need more players than you probably think ... and the Reds are doing a good job of building quality depth in certain areas. Solid signing with no risk.

Kc61
01-23-2012, 05:17 PM
I hope Todd Frazier beats him out in spring training for a spot on the 25 man roster.

I doubt it. I think Willie is likely the number one option in case of injury. I'd guess Todd is number 2.

Ron Madden
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
I doubt it. I think Willie is likely the number one option in case of injury. I'd guess Todd is number 2.

Why do you say that?

_Sir_Charles_
01-23-2012, 05:43 PM
I'd like to think that Frazier would have the inside track, but now it's at about the point that I think ST is going to determine ALL of the utility positions.

Gallen5862
01-23-2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Reds Sign Willie Harris

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 23 at 3:22pm CST]

3:22pm: The sides agreed to a minor league deal, according to Fay on Twitter. Harris can earn an $800K salary if he makes the Reds out of Spring Training and the deal includes another $200K in incentives, according to MLB.com's Mark Sheldon.

Kc61
01-23-2012, 07:38 PM
Why do you say that?

I'd guess that Harris' experience would get him first callup in case of injury. Also, the Reds are so short on lefty hitters that Harris (who is a lefty bat) might fill a need.

I'd guess that Frazier will be second on the list of injury replacements. Of course, if both are at AAA, their success level might be a relevant consideraton.

mth123
01-23-2012, 07:46 PM
If this is depth because the team is short on OF help, I'm all for it. If this ends up being a foregone conclusion that he'll be the 25th man, I'm worried. Seems like the kind of guy who Dusty might play too much.

As Pedro mentioned, his OBP isn't bad in limited duty. Could be a lot worse.

corkedbat
01-23-2012, 08:55 PM

If the Reds carry 12 pitchers and Miguel Cairo makes the team, I doubt there's room for Fraizer or Harris.

The five on the bench:

MI Miguel Cairo
SS Paul Janish/Chris Valaika/TBD
UT Juan Francisco
OF Ryan Ludwick
CA Ryan Hanigan

I'd rather add another Of or have Frazier make it than Cairo - that's one anemic bench

reds44
01-23-2012, 09:30 PM
I actually like Willie.

Strikes Out Looking
01-23-2012, 10:13 PM
Willie was here in DC for a few years; he's a real sparkplug and is a good additon to the team.

Ron Madden
01-23-2012, 11:08 PM
http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

Harris can make from $800,000 to $1 million dollars if he makes the club.

Is he that much better than Frazier? I'm not so sure.

Blitz Dorsey
01-23-2012, 11:53 PM

That's the fun part ... we get to find out. And if they both do well in spring, yeah, I'm sure Dusty will go with the vet and Frazier will start the year off in Louisville. But there's also a chance one of them will get hurt, making the other one even-more valuable to the Reds.

Walt is getting some serious work done this offseason. I even love his minor moves like signing Harris and Dioner Navarro.

Kc61
01-24-2012, 12:04 AM
That's the fun part ... we get to find out. And if they both do well in spring, yeah, I'm sure Dusty will go with the vet and Frazier will start the year off in Louisville. But there's also a chance one of them will get hurt, making the other one even-more valuable to the Reds.

Barring injury, neither Harris nor Frazier would likely make the Reds.

Cairo, Francisco, SS, Hanigan, Heisey is your five man bench.

Of course, there usually are injuries so that opens the door for Willie or Todd.

And we are still waiting to see who SS is.

Ron Madden
01-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Barring injury, neither Harris nor Frazier would likely make the Reds.

Cairo, Francisco, SS, Hanigan, Heisey is your five man bench.

Of course, there usually are injuries so that opens the door for Willie or Todd.

And we are still waiting to see who SS is.

How do you know Heisey will be on the bench?

I know you love veteran players but Dusty says Heisey will get a fair shot at starting in LF.

PuffyPig
01-24-2012, 07:43 AM

Frazier can't play CF or RF, which give Harris a different skill set. It's not a question as to who is better, it's giving us additional options.

cumberlandreds
01-24-2012, 07:54 AM
Willie was here in DC for a few years; he's a real sparkplug and is a good additon to the team.

I agree with you. From what I saw of him in DC he was solid in the role of a utility player. A good signing,IMO, by the Reds. He will give them good, veteran depth, if anything, in case Frazier doesn't cut it or Cairo suddently becomes very old.

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Frazier can't play CF or RF, which give Harris a different skill set. It's not a question as to who is better, it's giving us additional options.

Why can't Frazier play right field?

redsmetz
01-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Why can't Frazier play right field?

Looking at his playing history, he's only played LF when he's been in the outfield throughout his career.

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I can't imagine that you can't play right, occasionally, if you can play left. Kid seems to have a strong enough arm. It's not like he would be a full timer there.

redsmetz
01-24-2012, 09:50 AM
I can't imagine that you can't play right, occasionally, if you can play left. Kid seems to have a strong enough arm. It's not like he would be a full timer there.

I agree such is the case, but for some reason, the club has never put him out there as they've been developing him. I suspect in a pinch, he could play out there. That said, in any given game, others with experience could play RF while he takes LF.

Kc61
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM
How do you know Heisey will be on the bench?

I know you love veteran players but Dusty says Heisey will get a fair shot at starting in LF.

Heisey was shorthand for Heisey or Ludwick. I don't know which will get more playing time, but one of them will take a bench spot.

Hanigan was shorthand for Hanigan or Mesoraco. I don't know which will get more playing time, but one of them will take a bench spot.

That leaves Cairo, Francisco and a shortstop for the other three bench spots. Unless there is an injury I don't see a spot for Frazier or Harris. There probably will be an injury, though, so spot(s) may open up.

As for which players I "love" I think you have it oversimplified. But that's for another discussion sometime.

PuffyPig
01-24-2012, 11:00 AM

I assume if he could play a competitive RF he would have shown up there sometime in his career.

I think the idea is to have replacement players who can field at the major league level.

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I assume if he could play a competitive RF he would have shown up there sometime in his career.

I think the idea is to have replacement players who can field at the major league level.

It isn't that much different than LF. I'm sure some guys feel more comfortable at one or the other, but if you can play one, you can learn to play the other with not a lot of problems. Taking the reps in BP is very good practice. For a young guy like Frazier, I'm sure he would do anything in his power to get a spot on the major league roster.

_Sir_Charles_
01-24-2012, 01:04 PM
It isn't that much different than LF. I'm sure some guys feel more comfortable at one or the other, but if you can play one, you can learn to play the other with not a lot of problems. Taking the reps in BP is very good practice. For a young guy like Frazier, I'm sure he would do anything in his power to get a spot on the major league roster.

It's not as easy a transition as you'd think, you've got to re-learn the angle the ball takes off the bat, but the big difference is the required arm strength for those throws to third.

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2012, 01:26 PM
It's not as easy a transition as you'd think, you've got to re-learn the angle the ball takes off the bat, but the big difference is the required arm strength for those throws to third.

They are major league players for crying out loud. I played some outfield at a pretty high level. It isn't that difficult. They are the best baseball players in the world. The angle is no different than playing left field. The slice is just reversed with the hitters and with the positioning charts that they have these days, it makes it even easier. The biggest thing is the arm strength it takes to play right field, but I've seen some guys with not the strongest arms play a very good right field. Heck, Pete Rose played it for a while. Hitting your cuts is the main thing. You don't see that many guys thrown out at third from right field, and it's usually the guys with a cannon that can do it. Not every right fielder has a cannon, particularly not backup outfielders.

_Sir_Charles_
01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying it's not a sure thing that he can make the transition. I've never seen him throw distances that long before and his arm may very well not be acceptable there.

To be honest, I'm not even sure why we're discussing it. Bruce is going nowhere, and if he needed a day off, they'd slot either Heisey there or Ludwick there. Frazier has enough clubs in his golf bag already, he doesn't need a 3 iron.