PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Oscar nominations are out

Chip R
01-24-2012, 09:14 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/oscars/2012-oscar-nominees-list-215122612.html (http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/oscars/2012-oscar-nominees-list-215122612.html)

RBA
01-24-2012, 10:56 AM
Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids

If she got a nomination for pooping in a sink, Jim Carrey should have received the Oscar for Dumb and Dumber. I am sorry, but Braidsmaids is a vastly overrated movie and I don't see how it comes close to an Oscar nomination

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
My two favorite films from 2011, Drive and 50/50, got next to nothing. I see quite a few movies every year (and I'm not talking super hero movies and Adam Sandler comedies) and still I've seen only one of the best picture nominations, Moneyball. War Horse and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close have gotten mediocre reviews *and* performed poorly at the box office, yet the Academy has to suck up to that sappy garbage?

Ryan Gosling should be nominated for something, anything. JGL was excellent in 50/50. Give me Patton Oswalt from Young Adult over Jonah Hill for playing a lovable fat guy. Albert Brooks. How about a best picture nod for Dragon Tattoo?

Thank goodness Gary Oldman, Rooney Mara, and Nick Nolte got nominations...

bucksfan2
01-24-2012, 12:07 PM

If she got a nomination for pooping in a sink, Jim Carrey should have received the Oscar for Dumb and Dumber. I am sorry, but Braidsmaids is a vastly overrated movie and I don't see how it comes close to an Oscar nomination

I very much enjoyed Bridesmaids and I think Melissa McCarthy was good in that role.

Re:Baseclogger. I don't see what the buzz about Moneyball is. I thought it was ok, it put my wife to sleep. There was nothing "great" about the movie. Heck if I hadn't read the book and it wasn't about baseball I probably would have joined my wife watching it through my eyelids.

RedFanAlways1966
01-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Seems like the Oscar winners are the movies I least likely want to see, while those that are not even mentioned at the ceremony are the ones I like. Guess I just do not "get Hollywood". And for that I am thankful! lol

texasdave
01-24-2012, 12:26 PM
I suffered through about 30 minutes of The Tree of Life. I certainly did not 'get' that movie.

Sweetstop
01-24-2012, 12:27 PM
melissa mccarthy is a very talented comedienne. i'm glad to see the nomination, and i don't think it was for pooping in the sink.

goin' out on a short limb here and say "the artist" will win best picture. (btw, evidently, that pooch, uggie the jack russell terrier was the same one in "water for elephants"..quite the talent, ala asta (real name skippy) from "the thin man" series and "the awful truth" :) cosmo is the one in "beginners" )

savafan
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
It's not about best anything anymore. Sadly, it's a popularity contest. George Clooney would be nominated for opening up a can of dog food.

Roy Tucker
01-24-2012, 02:37 PM
It's not about best anything anymore. Sadly, it's a popularity contest. George Clooney would be nominated for opening up a can of dog food.

I disagree. "The Descendents" is a fabulous movie and Clooney is equally excellent in it. Sure he has a big name now, but I think he deserved his nominations.

And I liked Moneyball, Bridesmaids, The Help, and Hugo. Trying to keep an open mind about The Artist when I see it.

Caveat Emperor
01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
I feel like it was a weak year for films overall. I do hope Gary Oldman finally gets his Oscar for Tinker, Tailor. He's been one of the most reliably good actors in Hollywood for a long time -- he's definitely earned his statue.

Sweetstop
01-24-2012, 03:04 PM
I feel like it was a weak year for films overall.

couldn't agree more.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2012, 03:31 PM
Eh, I don't necessarily think this year's crop was any weaker than last year's. I think the major difference is that the "Academy Award movies" that get released right at the end of December in 2011 were a lot weaker than the likes of True Grit, The Fighter, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, Black Swan, etc. It was just a ridiculous December 2010.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I really did love Drive and 50/50. I'll take Drive over anything I saw in 2010, and 50/50 is my favorite comedy since Knocked Up. While not quite as funny as Bridesmades, I don't understand how its added dramatic element didn't get it over the hump (especially JGL's performance). The Warrior and Tinker Tailor were also excellent.

RE: Moneyball

I didn't get the critical acclaim either. I enjoyed it, but it was a baseball movie that was "sleek" and "cool" but failed to build any real drama...

Rojo
01-24-2012, 03:54 PM
The nominations always prompt me to try to remember how many movies I saw last year. The Planet of the Apes one and....ah.... I think that's it.

Movie theaters need liquor licenses.

Danny Serafini
01-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Movie theaters need liquor licenses.

They've been experimenting with that in Toledo. A few months ago I went to one where they put a 21+ age limit on one screen and sold beer and mixed drinks. I was laughing a little at my friend, she bought a $5 pop from the main concession area, and when we got in the theater a beer was only $4. Don't know if it ever caught on full time.

dougdirt
01-24-2012, 04:56 PM

Bridesmaids is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Not quite there with Dumb and Dumber, but it is in my top 10 comedies without a doubt.

I echo everything said about Drive and 50/50 in this thread. Drive was the best movie I saw this year and I don't think it was close. With that said, I have yet to see The Descendents or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, though I plan on doing so soon.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
I don't know if Bridesmades was even funnier than Horrible Bosses...

marcshoe
01-24-2012, 05:12 PM
And once again, I have been snubbed by the academy.

dougdirt
01-24-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't know if Bridesmades was even funnier than Horrible Bosses...

I do. Bridesmaids had me crying. Horrible Bosses just had me laughing.

Rojo
01-24-2012, 06:41 PM
Bridesmaids is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen.

Wow.

Not quite there with Dumb and Dumber, but it is in my top 10 comedies without a doubt.

Oh. Nevemind.

Ohayou
01-24-2012, 07:27 PM
I feel like it was a weak year for films overall. I do hope Gary Oldman finally gets his Oscar for Tinker, Tailor. He's been one of the most reliably good actors in Hollywood for a long time -- he's definitely earned his statue.

From what little I've seen so far 2011 wasn't any worse a year than any of the last dozen or more. I would say that mainstream Hollywood continues it's long slow decline, so if that's all I was interested in I'd probably agree - though even there I saw two masterpieces (albeit from older filmmakers who aren't interested in making superhero movies). But the last year seems to have been a great one for Iran and South Korea just as the last couple of decades have been for those two countries, and there is plenty of interesting stuff from France, Canada, the UK, China/Hong Kong, Turkey and other places that I'll be trying to get to. And some interesting lower-budget American stuff like Take Shelter and Martha Marcy May Marlene.

As usual, only bad if you limit yourself.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Wow.

Oh. Nevemind.

I take it this means your favorite comedy is The Big Lebowski?

dougdirt
01-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Oh. Nevemind.

Dumb and Dumber is easily the funniest movie ever. Not close.

top6
01-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Honestly, just when I think your posts couldn't possibly get any dumber, you post something like this...

And totally redeem yourself!

RBA
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Honestly, just when I think your posts couldn't possibly get any dumber, you post something like this...

And totally redeem yourself!

:thumbup:

sent from HTC EVO

bucksfan2
01-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Bridesmaids is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Not quite there with Dumb and Dumber, but it is in my top 10 comedies without a doubt.

I echo everything said about Drive and 50/50 in this thread. Drive was the best movie I saw this year and I don't think it was close. With that said, I have yet to see The Descendents or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, though I plan on doing so soon.

I would slot Bridesmaids behinds The Hangover, Wedding Crashers, Old School, and American Pie. In regards to Dumb and Dumber I can't remember but was it received by all audiences like most of the critically aclaimed comedies? No doubt its funny, but most comedies that play well with the academy cover a broad demographic range.

Rojo
01-25-2012, 02:00 PM
Dumb and Dumber wasn't even the funniest Farrelly Brothers movie.

Airplane, Top Secret, This is Spinal Tap -- those are funny movies.

Tony Cloninger
01-28-2012, 07:48 AM

It was funny but best ever?

I can think about 2-3 Marx Brothers movies that are funnier without having to use the toilet. Something About Mary was just as funny.

What Rojo said as well... Airplane! alone is the best ever.

Rojo
01-28-2012, 12:25 PM
What Rojo said as well... Airplane! alone is the best ever.

Did Manny Mota ever bat for Pedro Boubon?

medford
01-30-2012, 11:19 AM
I've never cared for Dumb & Dumber, or for that matter, 90% of Jim Carey's movies.

I'm begining to think the same thing regarding Will Ferrell. Loved Old School and wedding crashers, but the more he's stepped into the lead, the less funny I've found him to be. Didn't care for Ron Burgandy, Step Brothers was unwatchable.

For Comedy, give me Airplane, the first 2/3rds of Blazzing Saddles, animal house, Back to School, American Pie (or American Wedding), Tommy Boy, Trading Places (or anything early Eddie Murphy), Stipes, Vaction, Super Bad or Caddy Shack.

I'll also throw in 1 comedy I never heard much buzz about, but had me laughing as hard as I can remember. "Role Models"

savafan
01-30-2012, 01:48 PM
I can think about 2-3 Marx Brothers movies that are funnier without having to use the toilet.

:thumbup:

Sweetstop
01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
best comedy tangent belongs elsewhere, boys...

:)

Sweetstop
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
sag awards stirred up the pot a bit as far as oscar winner possibilities..viola davis instead of meryl streep at golden globes.."the artist" french actor instead of ky's own mr. clooney...christopher plummer keeps on truckin' though.

Ohayou
01-30-2012, 06:39 PM
sag awards stirred up the pot a bit as far as oscar winner possibilities..viola davis instead of meryl streep at golden globes.."the artist" french actor instead of ky's own mr. clooney...christopher plummer keeps on truckin' though.

Dujardin has always been the favorite.

I think it's more or less a sure thing The Artist brings home Best Picture, too. Hollywood is very much enamored of itself, and that film is quite the love letter.

*BaseClogger*
01-31-2012, 03:05 AM
In much more interesting news... HAPPY DRIVE RELEASE DAY!!! :D

_Sir_Charles_
02-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Dumb and Dumber wasn't even the funniest Farrelly Brothers movie.

Airplane, Top Secret, This is Spinal Tap -- those are funny movies.

Spot on.

02-11-2012, 11:31 PM

Don't get the love for "The Help". It was a typical Lifetime Network movie, imo. It seems Hollywood still has a lot of white guilt.

I can live with Dujardin beating Clooney, although I personally thought Clooney was more impressive. It's much harder to play a normal guy in an exceptional way than to play a "gimmick" role. But Hollywood loves to reward "gimmick" roles.

dougdirt
02-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Spot on.

Different generations I guess. Movies my dad loves and says are hilarious, I rarely find humorous at all. Movies I think are hilarious, he rarely finds humorous.

*BaseClogger*
02-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Different generations I guess. Movies my dad loves and says are hilarious, I rarely find humorous at all. Movies I think are hilarious, he rarely finds humorous.

Somewhat agreed. I think it ends up being more hit-or-miss with comedies from another generation. Like Airplane is great. This Is Spinal Tap has its moments but I didn't live through all that crap. Never heard of Top Secret.

I will say though... Animal House and Blazing Saddles are still hilarious...

medford
02-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Top Secret was a staple (along w/ PCU) of the early comedy central days. Well actually I think Boys in the Hall were their original staple, then they started mixing in Top Secret & PCU on a regular basis along with a few others. It started an early Val Kilmer, who was kind of at the peak of his fame when this was in rotation, which probably helped garner viewership.

Ohayou
02-26-2012, 08:34 PM
I predict stuff.

Best Picture: The Artist
Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Best Actress: Viola Davis, The Help
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help
Best Original Screenplay: The Artist
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants
Best Animated Feature: Rango
Best Foreign Film: A Separation
Best Cinematography: The Tree of Life
Best Editing: Hugo
Best Art Direction: Hugo
Best Costume Design: Anonymous
Best Makeup: Albert Nobbs
Best Original Score: Hugo
Best Original Song: Man or Muppet (The Muppets)
Best Sound Mixing: War Horse
Best Sound Editing: War Horse
Best Visual Effects: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
Best Documentary: Hell and Back Again

Stray
02-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Man I was hoping Gary Oldman would win Best Actor tonight.

Haven't watched The Artist though, so I dunno how good that guy was.

Ohayou
02-26-2012, 11:42 PM
Dujardin was superb. He is definitely one of the most charismatic fellows I've seen on screen in a while.

bucksfan2
02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
IMO there is a huge disconnect between the Academy and movie goers. The Artist may have been a great film and great acting, but it was black and white and silent. Not saying that it was good or bad, just that it played to the elite of the elite movie fans, and hardly to the audience that watches the Oscars. Its almost the reason why if I see an Oscar nominated film I head in the other direction.

BuckeyeRed27
02-27-2012, 01:15 PM
IMO there is a huge disconnect between the Academy and movie goers. The Artist may have been a great film and great acting, but it was black and white and silent. Not saying that it was good or bad, just that it played to the elite of the elite movie fans, and hardly to the audience that watches the Oscars. Its almost the reason why if I see an Oscar nominated film I head in the other direction.

I've heard this argument before and I couldn't disagree more. The Oscars are there to reward the elite movies. Those type of movies typically don't have a broad appeal except in a minority of cases. People want to complain that big box office movies aren't rewarded, but in most cases that isn't what the academy is looking for. If you see a film is nominated for an Oscar and use that as the basis for not watching a movie, then why are you watching the Oscars?

westofyou
02-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Dujardin was superb. He is definitely one of the most charismatic fellows I've seen on screen in a while.

Yeah he was great, much better than Clooney, unsure about Oldham

All and all the year was pretty weak IMO

Roy Tucker
02-27-2012, 01:41 PM
Ahhhh. I use the Oscar nominees as a checklist of movies I ought to see. Sometimes when left up to my own devices, I'll be lazy and just pick some escapist fare or I'll cave to the spousal unit and go see a chick flick. Nothing wrong with mainstram movies and I like them a lot and nothing precludes Oscar nominees from being big budget flicks. But life is often crazy busy and I just want to be entertained and not have to have a film degree to understand what's happening.

But then, I watch something like Midnight in Paris or The Descendents or Tree of Life and I kick myself in the butt saying "don't be so lazy". These are excellent movies and you don't need to be a film critic or a rocket scientist to get them and understand them and really enjoy them with the added benefit of your mind was taken outside of its old staid boundaries and challenged a bit.

I will confess that it took me 3 times to watch Tree of Life and start to "get it". We tried it as a Friday "movie and pizza" night and I was just too tired to get into it. Second time I got interrupted by something and finally I watched it yesterday on a quiet Sunday afternoon where I had time to stretch out a bit and time and patience to allow it to unfold before I passed judgement on it.

nmculbreth
02-27-2012, 01:46 PM
I've heard this argument before and I couldn't disagree more. The Oscars are there to reward the elite movies. Those type of movies typically don't have a broad appeal except in a minority of cases. People want to complain that big box office movies aren't rewarded, but in most cases that isn't what the academy is looking for. If you see a film is nominated for an Oscar and use that as the basis for not watching a movie, then why are you watching the Oscars?

I suppose it depends on your definition of elite.

While I appreciate the Academy's willingness to consider small budget, art-house films, I think by doing so you're often left with a bunch of winners that are largely forgotten a few years later. Will anyone remember The Artist in five years? What about The King's Speech?

I mean Shakespeare in Love won the Oscar, but looking back would anyone say it was a better or more important movie than Saving Private Ryan?

bucksfan2
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM

I don't watch them. I watched Billy Crystal's opening act and then that was it. Its just hard not to hear about the Oscars and the Academy in everyday life. Its just an opinion I have.

Redsfaithful
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I mean Shakespeare in Love won the Oscar, but looking back would anyone say it was a better or more important movie than Saving Private Ryan?

To make the argument, I think Saving Private Ryan was more of a technical achievement, in many ways. The story was formulaic and the focus wasn't primarily on the acting.

I think once you realize that the Oscars reward movies that focus more on the actors involved than technical wizardry you get a little less perplexed about the results. Not a hard and fast rule, but I think it's more often than not true.

Have to remember also that there are many non-American voters. An American WWII movie isn't in their wheelhouse quite as much.

Also important to remember the whole thing is subjective, this is an industry event that people only care about because it's the movies.

Chip R
02-27-2012, 02:09 PM
IMO there is a huge disconnect between the Academy and movie goers.

If there wasn't, Adam Sandler would have a closetful of Oscars.

Caveat Emperor
02-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Eh, I still prefer Mel Brooks' "Silent Movie."

bucksfan2
02-27-2012, 02:24 PM

Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison I am fine with :p

I don't have an issue with well done movies winning Oscar's. I can understand good acting even when I think the movie is blah. To be honest Moneyball was up for the Best Picture when the movie put my wife to sleep and if I hadn't read the book and loved baseball I would have been snoring with her.

Just last year I saw The Kings Speech, Inception, The Fighter, The Kids are Alright, The Social Network, and True Grit and off the ones I saw I thought The Kings Speech was the worst of them. Very good acting but the movie paled in comparison to The Fighter if you ask me. I guess what I look for in a movie is completely different than what the Academy deems apt. I just don't understand why they don't listen to me :p

Newport Red
02-27-2012, 03:01 PM

Oh, he'll have plenty of awards.

http://articles.boston.com/2012-02-26/ae/31101888_1_razzie-nominations-worst-picture-worst-screen-couple

Razor Shines
02-29-2012, 12:59 AM
But then, I watch something like Midnight in Paris or The Descendents or Tree of Life and I kick myself in the butt saying "don't be so lazy". These are excellent movies and you don't need to be a film critic or a rocket scientist to get them and understand them and really enjoy them with the added benefit of your mind was taken outside of its old staid boundaries and challenged a bit.

I will confess that it took me 3 times to watch Tree of Life and start to "get it". We tried it as a Friday "movie and pizza" night and I was just too tired to get into it. Second time I got interrupted by something and finally I watched it yesterday on a quiet Sunday afternoon where I had time to stretch out a bit and time and patience to allow it to unfold before I passed judgement on it.

Funny you mentioned those two movies specifically. I thought they were both piles of garbage. My wife gave up on Midnight in Paris before I did and I still want to fight Terrance Mallick (I really think the idea of a director or actor being perceived to have really screwed up a movie so bad that movie goers start physical altercations with said actor/director is funny. Because they so badly wanted to like the movie).

We like art house or "indie" movies but those two...maybe my expectations were too high, I was really looking forward to seeing both of them, especially Tree of Life. I didn't give it three tries like you did and the fact that you posted that makes me want to give it another go, we'll see.

Sweetstop
02-29-2012, 07:54 AM
yikes. at least you didn't say "heaping" piles of garbage, razor shines. :)

(i've thumbed-up both of these pics here before....esp. love "midnight in paris")

to each his own...

Roy Tucker
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Funny you mentioned those two movies specifically. I thought they were both piles of garbage. My wife gave up on Midnight in Paris before I did and I still want to fight Terrance Mallick (I really think the idea of a director or actor being perceived to have really screwed up a movie so bad that movie goers start physical altercations with said actor/director is funny. Because they so badly wanted to like the movie).

We like art house or "indie" movies but those two...maybe my expectations were too high, I was really looking forward to seeing both of them, especially Tree of Life. I didn't give it three tries like you did and the fact that you posted that makes me want to give it another go, we'll see.

Midnight in Paris hooked me right off the bat with its opening scenes of a summertime Paris. And my suspension of disbelief kicked right in and I accepted the premise of the movie without question. And I thought the whole thing unfolded like a fairy tale and was just a lovely movie. Owen Wilson was Woodie Allen. Nothing epic or stunning.

Tree of Life is more of a work of art than any standard Hollywood tell a story. I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone unless they knew what they were getting into. I could have done without the creation of the earth and all that. And it took a lot of work to patch together what the narrative was. But each little scene and memory was a cinematic marvel and it reminded me so much of my long-gone youth. You have to be patient and check your expectations at the door and just allow what is on the screen to take you over and then checkpoint where your head is when its over.

I blather.

Like sweetstop said, to each their own. Opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one.

OldRightHander
02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't use the Oscars as much of an indication of anything for me, but more often than not I find myself enjoying a lot of movies that don't win much. Occasionally I'll enjoy one that wins big, but that doesn't happen as often as it used to.