PDA

View Full Version : Fielder close to deal?

klw
01-24-2012, 03:00 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/tigers-to-sign-prince-fielder.html

The Tigers are "very close" to a nine-year deal with Prince Fielder, Yahoo's Tim Brown tweets.

For some reason with this potential deal and the Pujols deal, the saga of Mo Vaughn and the Angels always comes to mind.

more from www.mlbtraderumors.com

Prince Fielder, who hit baseballs out of Tiger Stadium as a 12-year-old, is on his way back to Detroit, where his father, Cecil Fielder, starred for seven years. The Tigers have agreed to sign the free agent first baseman to a nine-year, $214MM contract, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports on Twitter. Fielder will play first base and Miguel Cabrera will change roles, Heyman adds.

The agreement will keep Fielder in the Motor City through his age 36 season for an average annual value of $23.78MM. The 27-year-old first baseman will join Cabrera in the middle of the Tigers' order and create more than enough offense to make up for the loss of Victor Martinez.

RANDY IN INDY
01-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Cecil played for the Tigers. The relationship between father and son is quite strained, I understand. Sounds good to me. Get him out of the NL.

UKFlounder
01-24-2012, 03:15 PM
A facebook headline said $214 million for those 9 years

mdccclxix
01-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Looks like Fielder just need things to break his way. (sorry Victor)

Caveat Emperor
01-24-2012, 03:24 PM
This just in: Joey Votto is going to make a lot of money in 2 years.

Johnny Footstool
01-24-2012, 03:47 PM
Detroit Has a Skyline, Too.

(No, I don't mean chili).

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Detroit Has a Skyline, Too.

(No, I don't mean chili).

One of my all-time favorite songs. Kudos! :)

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
The biggest risk for the Tigers: will the rest of the team starve after Cabrera and Fielder go through the buffet line?

Gallen5862
01-24-2012, 03:51 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

This June the Tigers will surrender their first round pick (27th overall) to the Brewers, who offered Fielder arbitration earlier in the offseason. Milwaukee will also obtain a second compensatory pick for losing Fielder, the seventh overall selection in the 2002 draft. Fielder is among the Brewers' all-time leaders in many offensive categories, including home runs (230), on-base percentage (.390), sluggling percentage (.540) and walks (566).

TheNext44
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Out of the NL :)

Benihana
01-24-2012, 03:56 PM
nm

_Sir_Charles_
01-24-2012, 04:02 PM
nm

mdccclxix
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
What's Bill Bray going to do?

PuffyPig
01-24-2012, 04:12 PM
The biggest risk for the Tigers: will the rest of the team starve after Cabrera and Fielder go through the buffet line?

I got wind of the deal yesterday and shorted the stock of the Buffet Company who serves the Tigers their meals.......

Retirement may be just around the corner.....

PuffyPig
01-24-2012, 04:13 PM
About an hour late.

bucksfan2
01-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Prince to an AL team made a whole lot of sense. I don't think he is going to be able to play out the remainder of his contract at 1b but since they allow the DH he can extend his career.

Spitball
01-24-2012, 04:32 PM
Prince to an AL team made a whole lot of sense. I don't think he is going to be able to play out the remainder of his contract at 1b but since they allow the DH he can extend his career.

What do the Tigers do in 2013 when Victor Martinez comes back? Will they put Cabrera back at third after a year as DH?

bucksfan2
01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
What do the Tigers do in 2013 when Victor Martinez comes back? Will they put Cabrera back at third after a year as DH?

Would be a nice luxury to have wouldn't it?

Could Cabrera play LF? They could trade Martinez. They have options, having Cabrera and Fielder in the same lineup is pretty darn potent.

Blitz Dorsey
01-24-2012, 04:43 PM
That's $23.7M per season. Hefty pricetag (for a hefty dude) but sounds about right to me.

dougdirt
01-24-2012, 04:45 PM

That just came in? You get your news very slowly. Still getting it on stone tablets?

Spitball
01-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Would be a nice luxury to have wouldn't it?

Could Cabrera play LF? They could trade Martinez. They have options, having Cabrera and Fielder in the same lineup is pretty darn potent.

Leyland: Well, then who's playing first?

Dombrowski: Yes.

Leyland: I mean the fellow's name on first base.

Dombrowski: Who.

Leyland: The fellow playin' first base.

Dombrowski: Who.

Leyland: The guy on first base.

Dombrowski: Who is on first.

Leyland: Well, what are you askin' me for?

Dombrowski: I'm not asking you--I'm telling you. Who is on first.

Leyland: I'm asking you--who's on first?

OesterPoster
01-24-2012, 04:54 PM
I've seen Fay mention a couple times the huge TV deal Detroit recently signed. I can't find the details of FSOhio's contract with the Reds. Anyone recall how much it was for, and for how long?

dougdirt
01-24-2012, 04:58 PM
I've seen Fay mention a couple times the huge TV deal Detroit recently signed. I can't find the details of FSOhio's contract with the Reds. Anyone recall how much it was for, and for how long?

Less than $10M a year and through 2017 or 2018 (I can't recall which one it is, but it's one of the two).

TV deals are the thing that truly keep the have's and have not's separated. There are multiple teams who make more per YEAR than the Reds are going to get over the next 6 years of their tv deal.

Tom Servo
01-24-2012, 06:02 PM
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/397817_10150546711838190_766803189_8843535_1141208 7_n.jpg

Vottomatic
01-24-2012, 06:03 PM

Just in? You need to get you one of them new 4G phones. :D

CTA513
01-24-2012, 06:04 PM
Didn't this happen to the Nationals before when Texiera was a free agent?

camisadelgolf
01-24-2012, 06:23 PM
That's way too much money for a DH if you ask me. Huge gamble.
C Alex Avila
1B Miguel Cabrera
2B Ryan Raburn
3B Brandon Inge
SS Jhonny Peralta
LF Delmon Young
CF Austin Jackson
RF Brennan Boesch
DH Prince Fielder

That looks like a team that can put up a lot of offense. And we already know about their pitching. I guess you might as well print off their playoff tickets now. But my big question is, "Where does that leave Victor Martinez when he's ready to come back?" They have All-Stars at catcher, first base, and designated hitter, so it looks to me like they're going to have to make a major move one year from now.

muddie
01-24-2012, 08:27 PM
I am perplexed over this deal. Detroit proved they could spend money after 2006 and it blew up in their face. I don't understand the logistics of this trade. A week or so back Dombrowski said they were only in need of some tweeking on this lineup. Granted, Martinez injury shakes things up a bit but this is overboard in light of that. I think this is a case of Illitch deciding he wanted Fielder and he'll let the organization figure out the details beyond that. Illitch wants to win bad and he has the money. To me, the jury is out on this one. This impresses me as impulse buying.

Spitball
01-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Out of the NL :)

I am worried about this. Pujols and Fielder to the AL means more big stars to the AL. Honestly, I would like to see a better balance.

Dom Heffner
01-24-2012, 09:06 PM
That's way too much money for a DH if you ask me. Huge gamble.
C Alex Avila
1B Miguel Cabrera
2B Ryan Raburn
3B Brandon Inge
SS Jhonny Peralta
LF Delmon Young
CF Austin Jackson
RF Brennan Boesch
DH Prince Fielder

Could Cabrera return to third?

And I don't think they play Rayburn at second, at least very much. He had a horrible time getting in the lineup...Leyland would tell him the job was his, then pull him after a few o-fers. And you really can't blame him-Rayburn would swing at Mother Theresa.

Scrap Irony
01-24-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm guessing Cabrera goes to 3B, defense be darned. If he OPSes 900+ (and he's likely to), he'll still be a good choice to hit there. Put Martinez as a part-time C and part-time 1B, with Fielder DHing and playing 1B, and the Tigers have three monster bats for three spots.

Add Avila and Detroit has the best, IMO, middle of the lineup in baseball. Or at least will in 2013.

*BaseClogger*
01-24-2012, 10:17 PM
I still think Boston, New York, and Texas have better lineups...

Spitball
01-24-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm guessing Cabrera goes to 3B, defense be darned..

Can he DH for a year and then go to third after being away for several years? Remember, the Tigers moved him because he was so bad at third.

RedFanAlways1966
01-25-2012, 07:17 AM
I hope the other 23 Detroit players rush to the clubhouse when that last out is made in game... if they want to get something off the post-game buffet table.

cumberlandreds
01-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Didn't this happen to the Nationals before when Texiera was a free agent?

Yes it did. They were close on him too but he decided to try NYC. One of the local sports stations even reported that Tex had signed with the Nats. I almost knew he wouldn't sign with them. Just not much buzz to playing with the Nats.
I'm just glad Fielder and Pujols are out of the NL Central and the entire NL period. Two big bats that Reds pitching doesn't have to face in about 35 games this season.

Homer Bailey
01-25-2012, 10:28 AM
I am worried about this. Pujols and Fielder to the AL means more big stars to the AL. Honestly, I would like to see a better balance.

As a fan of baseball, I can understand this. As a fan of the Reds though, I can not. Don't we want the National League to be weak?

traderumor
01-25-2012, 10:57 AM
As a fan of baseball, I can understand this. As a fan of the Reds though, I can not. Don't we want the National League to be weak?I look at it as we want the Reds to be stronger than other teams, not that we win because we are a little bit better than the weak teams. A team should be built to beat the best team in either league, since the goal is winning the WS.

WebScorpion
01-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Just not much buzz to playing with the Nats.

That may not be the case in the near future...they've got some prospects that are on the verge and Strasburg coming back this year. If they can manage the bottom of their roster into some semblance of decent role players, they will have something IMO.

Homer Bailey
01-25-2012, 11:28 AM
I look at it as we want the Reds to be stronger than other teams, not that we win because we are a little bit better than the weak teams. A team should be built to beat the best team in either league, since the goal is winning the WS.

Sure, but all things being equal, we want the Reds going head to head with lesser competition, no? I don't want the Reds competition (or lack thereof) to prevent the Reds from attempting to improve the team, but I certainly don't want to be going up against Prince Fielder if I have the opportunity to not go up against him.

Sea Ray
01-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Are the Tigers on the hook for Martinez' salary this year? I assume they are but given that it happened in the off season, I wasn't so sure

muddie
01-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Are the Tigers on the hook for Martinez' salary this year? I assume they are but given that it happened in the off season, I wasn't so sure

If I'm not mistaken he is theirs for two more years.

01-25-2012, 11:52 AM

I'm not worried long term about that.

The main reason for this unbalance is that three of the biggest markets in NL, Mets Dosgers, and Cubs, have been there of the dumbest franchices as well.

That's already changing in Chicago, and both NY and LA are getting new ownership.

Sea Ray
01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Less than $10M a year and through 2017 or 2018 (I can't recall which one it is, but it's one of the two).

TV deals are the thing that truly keep the have's and have not's separated. There are multiple teams who make more per YEAR than the Reds are going to get over the next 6 years of their tv deal.

I understand we're not a big market but less than $10mill still seems low. I'd think they could do better than that. Incidently the Tigers get about $40mill/yr:

For $1 billion, FSN Detroit locked up the rights to air all the games of each team over the next decade. The Tigers' portion is worth $400 million and doubles the cash the team received under its prior deals with FSN Detroit and local free television station, WJBK Fox 2.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/22/cable-television-baseball-values-09-business-sports-cable.html

The Angels get about $50mill. Of course the Red Sox and Yankees I'm sure dwarf that. It's up to MLB's revenue sharing plan to even this out a bit. Why should Detroit, Anaheim, Texas and that crowd get to pillage talent from the midwest as we've seen recently?

This disparity is what really sours me on MLB. Once my team gets a talent like Joey Votto we have to look forward to the day he leaves for more money or see his salary hamstring the team like Jr's did ten yrs ago. It's not right

Sea Ray
01-25-2012, 12:04 PM
If I'm not mistaken he is theirs for two more years.

I know. I'm not saying the contract is voided but does it guarantee him a salary if he gets hurt doing non baseball related activities?

Spitball
01-25-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm not worried long term about that.

The main reason for this unbalance is that three of the biggest markets in NL, Mets Dosgers, and Cubs, have been there of the dumbest franchices as well.

That's already changing in Chicago, and both NY and LA are getting new ownership.

I really don't want the big markets to dominate in the NL either. Pujols, Fielder, and players like Adrian Gonzalez were not from big market teams. They were major lures for fans to go see their teams. It could be the same case with Votto in a few years if he goes to Toronto. The NL needs big name stars to draw fans at home and away. The Phillies might be the last NL team worthy of drawing fans to see rebuilding teams in lesser markets like Houston, Pittsburgh, and San Diego.

The Reds should do better against the Cards and Brewers, but there is something to be said for witnessing the drama and adrenaline rush of an Albert Pujols batting against the Reds in the late innings of a tight game.

dunner13
01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
I know. I'm not saying the contract is voided but does it guarantee him a salary if he gets hurt doing non baseball related activities?

I know some teams carry insurance that pays most or all of a players salary if hes hurt but I have no idea if they have that on martinez.

RANDY IN INDY
01-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I really don't want the big markets to dominate in the NL either. Pujols, Fielder, and players like Adrian Gonzalez were not from big market teams. They were major lures for fans to go see their teams. It could be the same case with Votto in a few years if he goes to Toronto. The NL needs big name stars to draw fans at home and away. The Phillies might be the last NL team worthy of drawing fans to see rebuilding teams in lesser markets like Houston, Pittsburgh, and San Diego.

The Reds should do better against the Cards and Brewers, but there is something to be said for witnessing the drama and adrenaline rush of an Albert Pujols batting against the Reds in the late innings of a tight game.

Now, hopefully, the focus for at least a couple of years is the adrenaline rush of watching Joey Votto in those late innings of tight games.:)

OesterPoster
01-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I understand we're not a big market but less than $10mill still seems low. I'd think they could do better than that. Incidently the Tigers get about $40mill/yr:

The Angels get about $50mill. Of course the Red Sox and Yankees I'm sure dwarf that. It's up to MLB's revenue sharing plan to even this out a bit. Why should Detroit, Anaheim, Texas and that crowd get to pillage talent from the midwest as we've seen recently?

This disparity is what really sours me on MLB. Once my team gets a talent like Joey Votto we have to look forward to the day he leaves for more money or see his salary hamstring the team like Jr's did ten yrs ago. It's not right

I found that same article this morning. Very interesting TV deal that MLB negotiated on behalf of the Nationals. They'll (Nationals) have a 33% stake in the MASN they share with the Orioles within a few years. I couldn't believe the Orioles and Nationals were ranked in the top 10 cable TV deals Forbes listed. If Doug's numbers on the Reds' deal are accurate, they're getting screwed.

I'd be interested if someone could find the Indians' numbers since they moved away from FSOhio and towards their own club-owned network. That's the model the Reds should be looking at, but it's too bad their current deal still has so many years remaining. They could start their own network for all Reds telecasts, then supplement with UC and XU basketball during the baseball offseason.

Sea Ray
01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I found that same article this morning. Very interesting TV deal that MLB negotiated on behalf of the Nationals. They'll (Nationals) have a 33% stake in the MASN they share with the Orioles within a few years. I couldn't believe the Orioles and Nationals were ranked in the top 10 cable TV deals Forbes listed. If Doug's numbers on the Reds' deal are accurate, they're getting screwed.

I'd be interested if someone could find the Indians' numbers since they moved away from FSOhio and towards their own club-owned network. That's the model the Reds should be looking at, but it's too bad their current deal still has so many years remaining. They could start their own network for all Reds telecasts, then supplement with UC and XU basketball during the baseball offseason.

They need some creative thinking like that.

Why agree to a ten yr commitment to be among the lowest TV revenue teams? I don't get that either. They're under selling themselves

cumberlandreds
01-25-2012, 01:33 PM
That may not be the case in the near future...they've got some prospects that are on the verge and Strasburg coming back this year. If they can manage the bottom of their roster into some semblance of decent role players, they will have something IMO.

Very true. They are very close to contending and may this season with the right breaks. Until they breakthrough and some more of their prospects come around, like Bryce Harper, I'm not sure any superstar, like Fielder, will sign with them.

LegallyMinded
01-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Saw this in today's FanGraphs chat with Dave Cameron:

[The Fielder contract] ended any chance the Reds have of keeping him. He'll be traded within the next 12 months no matter what the Reds do.

It was naturally going to be hard for the Reds to keep Votto beyond his current deal, but this is the most adamant statement I've seen anyone make that he'll be traded. Also, given the time frame of 12 months, does that mean the Reds' best shot to win is 2012, and 2013 is a lost cause already?

mdccclxix
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Trading Votto next year should depend on Bruce and Latos. If they become what people think they can, I'd say the Reds could benefit from trading Votto. The picture for contention needs to extend beyond 2012 because Cincinnati has seen enough see-sawing from their pro teams. Keeping Votto for 2013 extends their chances. Getting 2 comp picks for Votto isn't that bad if it means winning in 2013 as well. I guess it also depends on where St. Louis ends up after this year as well.

Vottomatic
01-25-2012, 03:54 PM
The teams that can afford Votto are pretty much set at 1B, other than maybe the Cubs. Mets have financial problems and will take a few years to get straightened out, and then probably won't be interested in signing someone to a big contract.

To me, the elephant in the room is Toronto. Votto has made reference to Joe Carter's world series home run before, acknowledging they were his childhood favorite team, plus Joey is Canadian. MLB.com has the Blue Jays depth chart at 1B listed as Lind and Edwin Encarnacion. Lind is a good player, but not Joey Votto. If Bautista puts up good numbers again this upcoming season, and the Reds would surprisingly struggle, I could see a Votto for Bautista deal straight up. Bautista is signed through either '15 or '16 (off the top of my head) for $14M per year, which the Reds could handle. And it would fix LF. Or maybe they deal him for one of Toronto's young talented starting pitchers and additional prospects? But I just don't see the Reds being able to afford $23 to $25M per year, even if they defer money.

RedsManRick
01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
The teams that can afford Votto are pretty much set at 1B, other than maybe the Cubs. Mets have financial problems and will take a few years to get straightened out, and then probably won't be interested in signing someone to a big contract.

To me, the elephant in the room is Toronto. Votto has made reference to Joe Carter's world series home run before, acknowledging they were his childhood favorite team, plus Joey is Canadian. MLB.com has the Blue Jays depth chart at 1B listed as Lind and Edwin Encarnacion. Lind is a good player, but not Joey Votto. If Bautista puts up good numbers again this upcoming season, and the Reds would surprisingly struggle, I could see a Votto for Bautista deal straight up. Bautista is signed through either '15 or '16 (off the top of my head) for $14M per year, which the Reds could handle. And it would fix LF. Or maybe they deal him for one of Toronto's young talented starting pitchers and additional prospects? But I just don't see the Reds being able to afford $23 to $25M per year, even if they defer money.

If they're that hard up for a 1B Why wouldn't the Jays just move Bautista to 1B and save the $10M/year it would cost them to extend Votto? If Bautista continues to produce, there's no reason whatsoever for the Jays to move him.

I think the Dodgers are our most likely trade partner. Hopefully the sale is complete by the next off-season and you can easily see a new owner wanting to make a big splash to show that that they mean business.

I could see something built around Votto-Billingsley. I'm not arguing on behalf of that, just suggesting I could see it happening.

OesterPoster
01-25-2012, 04:13 PM
If they're that hard up for a 1B Why wouldn't the Jays just move Bautista to 1B and save the $10M/year it would cost them to extend Votto? If Bautista continues to produce, there's no reason whatsoever for the Jays to move him.

I think the Dodgers are our most likely trade partner. Hopefully the sale is complete by the next off-season and you can easily see a new owner wanting to make a big splash to show that that they mean business.

I could see something built around Votto-Billingsley. I'm not arguing on behalf of that, just suggesting I could see it happening.

I agree. LA is Votto's future team. Peter Gammons Tweeted the same thing right after Fielder's move.

REDREAD
01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
Saw this in today's FanGraphs chat with Dave Cameron:

[The Fielder contract] ended any chance the Reds have of keeping him. He'll be traded within the next 12 months no matter what the Reds do.

Cameron is wrong.
There's nothing wrong with letting Votto play out his last 2 years.
If he leaves as a FA, so be it.
Honestly, I think it's better PR to let him play out his last year and walk.

The Reds can survive a major free agent leaving them. Plenty of other teams do. We have to get out of this mindset where we HAVE to trade every pending FA.. We tried that for 15 years, and it really didn't yield much fruit.
Time to stop acting like the Pirates and Royals and A's.
Time to start acting like the Devil Rays (who have no fear of losing potential FAs).

camisadelgolf
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Joey Votto will be affordable if the Reds want him to be. It all comes down to whether Votto likes playing half his games in Cincinnati or not.

Caveat Emperor
01-25-2012, 06:12 PM
Joey Votto will be affordable if the Reds want him to be. It all comes down to whether Votto likes playing half his games in Cincinnati or not.

The market for Votto is set at somewhere in the 8-9/205-225 range. Period. Someone will pay him that much money to play for them, and teams with the payroll space will move other players (especially teams with a DH option) to add an MVP-level bat at 1B.

Votto gets 1 shot at a "big" deal, and he'd be crazy to structure it any other way than an 8-10 year commitment, since his prime years will be done by the time any shorter deal finishes. Unless you think the Reds are going to offer that much money, it's time to start making plans for Life After Votto.

LegallyMinded
01-25-2012, 07:23 PM
The market for Votto is set at somewhere in the 8-9/205-225 range. Period. Someone will pay him that much money to play for them, and teams with the payroll space will move other players (especially teams with a DH option) to add an MVP-level bat at 1B.

Votto gets 1 shot at a "big" deal, and he'd be crazy to structure it any other way than an 8-10 year commitment, since his prime years will be done by the time any shorter deal finishes. Unless you think the Reds are going to offer that much money, it's time to start making plans for Life After Votto.

I think this is especially true given the free agent 1B markets for the next couple years. There are very few attractive options in 2013, and so I could easily see the Dodgers and Mets filling 1B with one year stop-gaps, and then making a huge push to sign Votto in 2014. By then, their ownership situations will be settled, and I doubt the Reds could compete with their deep pockets.

camisadelgolf
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM

I'm saying the Reds--if they want to--can afford one (and only one) contract like that. If they won't do it for Votto, they probably won't do it for anyone. Anyway, the Reds don't have a lot of long term commitments, and I think they could keep nearly the entire team intact while retaining Votto.