PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs - Thinking Way Outside the Box

texasdave
01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
I was sitting here thinking about some of the teams that haven't been to the playoffs in a long while. And it seems there is a good chance that most of those same teams won't be going anytime soon. How could you be a fan of such a team, knowing that even before the season there was basically no chance of postseason play?

Reds fans know.

Here are a list of the teams with the longest playoff droughts.

Washington/Montreal - 30 years
Kansas City - 26 years
Pittsburgh - 19 years
Toronto - 18 years
Baltimore - 14 years
Seattle 10 years

It has been a decade or more for six of the thirty teams. Twenty percent of the teams in baseball haven't been to the playoffs in at least ten years. Is that good for baseball? I think that's a resounding no. Reds fans should be able to relate to long playoff droughts, having just endured a lengthy one themselves.

My solution: If there are any teams out there that have experienced a 10-year dry playoff run, then those teams are eligible for the newly-created fifth playoff spot. If there is more than one team eligible in each league then the fifth-spot goes to the team with the longest dry spell.

For example, at the end of the 2012 season the spots would go to Washington and Kansas City, if they did not otherwise qualify.

If there are no teams that qualify then the fifth playoff spot goes to the team with the fifth best record. And I think this would be the case more often than not.

Is this an ideal solution? Probably not. Is being a fan of a team that hasn't seen postseason play in up to three decades ideal? Definitely not.

Personally, I think throwing teams a one-game playoff bone every ten years is the sporting thing to do.

Moosie52
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Ummm...Let's tank for the 5th spot!

alett12
01-25-2012, 01:58 PM
On that list who has a legit shot at the playoffs? In my opinion and rather ironicaly the teams with the 3 longest are the ones who have the best shots especialy if the new wild card rules are implemented. The Nationals have a good young team but I'm not sure they are there yet but they probably will be next year. The Pirates I think are the Reds biggest competition in the central with the core group they have with Mcutchen, Alvarez (if he comes through), and their bullpen. The Royals I believe have one of the best young teams in baseball with the likes of Hosmer, Mostakus, Butler, Gordon, and Soria closing it out. Toronto and Baltimore have the same problem, they play in the best division in baseball behind the Yankees, Rays, and Red Soxs though they are both good young teams with studs like Adam Jones and Matt Weiters for Baltimore and for the Jays Lawrie and Bautista. The M's are just screwed, they have the worst hitters park in baseball and they can't hit to begin with for them the guys i'm watching are Jeuses Monetro, Hector Nuesi, and Dustin Ackley.

SweetLou1990
01-25-2012, 05:35 PM
I like the playoff discussion. You are definetely outside the box, but yeah, they need to do something. I don't like the one game playoff that is being proposed ( is it set in stone? ). Speaking of playoffs, how about adding a 5th AND a 6th team:

1. Gets more teams in ( the better teams, not the teams mentioned above )
2. 4 teams in each league play in two 3 game series, with the winners advancing
3. Top 2 seeds get a bye
4. In a 5 team playoff, there is a potential for 43 games - a 6 team playoff there would be a potential for 53 games ( more home games for lower seeds, a bye for the top teams)

alett12
01-26-2012, 02:16 PM
I like the playoff discussion. You are definetely outside the box, but yeah, they need to do something. I don't like the one game playoff that is being proposed ( is it set in stone? ). Speaking of playoffs, how about adding a 5th AND a 6th team:

1. Gets more teams in ( the better teams, not the teams mentioned above )
2. 4 teams in each league play in two 3 game series, with the winners advancing
3. Top 2 seeds get a bye
4. In a 5 team playoff, there is a potential for 43 games - a 6 team playoff there would be a potential for 53 games ( more home games for lower seeds, a bye for the top teams)

Personaly, I would love to see 4 teams tied with the same record for the wild card now, a play in game for the play offs would be great for the game.

swaisuc
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
The last thing we need is to give those teams even less reason to spend money and try to make the playoffs.

10 years is honestly not that long of a time anyway. The top 3 I have NO sympathy for because they rarely if ever invest in improving their fate.

alett12
01-26-2012, 04:16 PM
The last thing we need is to give those teams even less reason to spend money and try to make the playoffs.

10 years is honestly not that long of a time anyway. The top 3 I have NO sympathy for because they rarely if ever invest in improving their fate.

Neither do the reds for that matter