PDA

View Full Version : All the great (and healthy) 1st basemen are in the AL except Votto

Blitz Dorsey
01-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Just a few years ago, the NL had the likes of Teixeira (for a brief period of time), Adrian Gonzalez, Pujols and Prince Fielder. Now they're all in the AL.

That basically leaves Joey Votto and Ryan Howard in the NL as far as top-shelf first basemen. And Howard is coming off a very serious injury (torn Achilles) and likely won't be able to play until post-All-Star break. He was getting up there in age even before the injury. I can't imagine he'll ever be the same ... and the Phillies had just given him that huge contract extension.

Anyway, it's pretty cool knowing that the Reds have by-far the best first baseman in the NL for the next two years (and hopefully beyond, although I doubt it).

RedsManRick
01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
It is pretty crazy how few very good 1B there are in the NL now.

Even were he healthy, I wouldn't put Howard in the "Great" category. The last two years he's hit a combined .265/.350/.497. I think I'd go with Morse as the clear #2 and I'd probably put Freddie Freeman 3rd.

Heck, Yonder could have a shot an an all-star gig if he can hit for a high average.

Vottomatic
01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Making the All-Star game as a 1Bman in the AL is going to be tough to do. They could make an All-Star team simply out of AL first basemen. :D

RED VAN HOT
01-25-2012, 05:01 PM
The AL is in a better position to gamble long term on a plus hitter because a 1B can still move down the defensive spectrum to DH. Given his weight, an NL team would take a significant risk on Fielder with a long term contract. In the AL he can still be a DH for the last 3 or so years of the contract. MLB was talking about this today and the tendency for hitting to migrate to the AL and pitching to the NL. It should make for an interesting contrast in styles of play over the next decade.

Sea Ray
01-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Making the All-Star game as a 1Bman in the AL is going to be tough to do. They could make an All-Star team simply out of AL first basemen. :D

Sounds like we're sure to have one starter in the All Star game this year...

Joseph
01-25-2012, 05:05 PM
Sounds like we're sure to have one starter in the All Star game this year...

Berkman could have a good year and we all know Cards fans vote like crazy. Same with the Cubs if they get anyone. Still a good bet.

pahster
01-25-2012, 05:06 PM
What about Berkman? I know he's getting older, but he's been very good outside of 2010.

powersackers
01-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Ike Davis is my No. 3 behind Votto and a healthy Howard. Freeman and Morse are good too.

RedlegJake
01-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Berkman, Davis, Freeman - those guys are good but no one else is left in the same class as Votto. He is the premier NL first sacker hands down.

Ghosts of 1990
01-27-2012, 01:51 AM
Casey McGehee moves to 1st base in Milwaukee and could put up All Star numbers. Guy can hit.

*BaseClogger*
01-27-2012, 03:35 AM
Casey McGehee moves to 1st base in Milwaukee and could put up All Star numbers. Guy can hit.

LOL

_Sir_Charles_
01-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Really? He looked pretty dismal last year. And the 2 before weren't all-star caliber.

Homer Bailey
01-27-2012, 10:36 AM

Oh yeah, that guy that put up a .626 OPS last year. How did we forget that guy?

nate
01-27-2012, 10:55 AM
McGehee was traded to the Pirates.

TRF
01-27-2012, 11:55 AM
One could make the argument that Morse had nearly as good offensive numbers as Votto last year, while splitting time at 1B and the OF. I have him at #2 in the NL for 2012.

Raisor
01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
McGehee was traded to the Pirates.

Quiet you.

MikeThierry
01-27-2012, 12:33 PM
McGehee could have a comeback season. I don't think it will be on the level of his 2010 campaign but I don't think he will be as bad as he was last year. Still... no where near the class of Votto, Freeman, Morse, or Berkman.

TRF
01-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Darkhorse 1B in the NL IMO is Rizzo. Monster year at AAA, leaves PetCo for the cozy confines. Good fit, silly power.

Blitz Dorsey
01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Darkhorse 1B in the NL IMO is Rizzo. Monster year at AAA, leaves PetCo for the cozy confines. Good fit, silly power.

Yeah, that was a nice trade by the Cubs. And the Reds were indirectly responsible for it by trading Alonso to the Pads, which made Rizzo expendable. I still say San Diego didn't get enough in return for Rizzo. They felt like they had two first basemen and needed to get rid of one. Fine. But don't jump at the first offer you get. I guarantee they could have received more for Rizzo if they had been patient. This is an example of why I hate the fact Epstein is the Cubs' decision-maker now. He will make good trades/decisions usually. There will be exceptions though. This is the same guy who signed Lackey and Crawford to ridiculously-bad contracts during the end of his tenure in Boston. So, he's definitely not perfect, but he's better than anything else the Cubs have ever had.