PDA

View Full Version : Reds sign Masset to two-year deal

WildcatFan
01-25-2012, 04:31 PM
Masset will make $5.5 guaranteed with performance bonuses. Would have commanded around $2.5 million in arbitration.

SweetLou1990
01-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Massets ERA jumped from a 3.13 pre all star break to about a 4.8 post all star break

The DARK
01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
That's a lot for a bullpen guy with the numbers he's had as of late. I'm surprised he would have commanded that much.

WildcatFan
01-26-2012, 12:21 AM
He was outstanding outside of a miserable one-month stretch. And without the pressure of setting up, he should be a very reliable seventh-inning arm. This is an guy that was in the discussion to be the closer a few weeks ago. It's going to be really hard to come back on this team.

nmculbreth
01-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Looks like a good deal for Masset, though I'm not sure what the Reds have accomplished.

Masset was already under team control through 2013 and he'd have probably ended up getting somewhere close to $5.5 in arbitration so it isn't like there was any kind of cost savings. At that price I can't help but feel like the Reds would have been better off by going to arbitration and then re-evaluating the situation during the next off-season.

Old NDN
01-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Maybe they signed him with the idea of possibly flipping him in another deal.

alett12
01-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I hope they keep him personaly, I've always like him except in the month of May. I think as long as Dusty stays out of his head and doesn't make him think he has to be pretty so he tries to paint the corners.

Old NDN
01-26-2012, 11:53 AM
I have no issues with Masset, other than the fact 5.5 million is too much for a middle relief guy. I just think the money could have been better spent somewhere else.

texasdave
01-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Masset is an asset.

BEETTLEBUG
01-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Maybe they signed him with the idea of possibly flipping him in another deal.

I thought that also, he would be better to trade if locked in easy contract, him and Janish then we can sign Oswalt please!!

alett12
01-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I thought that also, he would be better to trade if locked in easy contract, him and Janish then we can sign Oswalt please!!

Oswalt isn't a fit for the reds. As for 5.5 million, it is over 2 years and that is the low end of what a top set up man usually makes so I've got no problem with it.

brad1176
01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
I think having Madson and Marshall around will help Masset, they both struggled until they learned to just trust their stuff.

alett12
01-26-2012, 04:10 PM
I think having Madson and Marshall around will help Masset, they both struggled until they learned to just trust their stuff.

yeah, i just hope dusty doesn't screw with thier heads, fat chance that happens though

SweetLou1990
01-26-2012, 06:36 PM
He was outstanding outside of a miserable one-month stretch. And without the pressure of setting up, he should be a very reliable seventh-inning arm. This is an guy that was in the discussion to be the closer a few weeks ago. It's going to be really hard to come back on this team.

I agree - it should be very tough to come back on these guys. Especially if Chapman were to stay in the pen.

IamRV
01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
I agree - it should be very tough to come back on these guys. Especially if Chapman were to stay in the pen.

The only pen time I want Chapman doing in 2012 is his pregame warmup and between starts work and I would prefer he begin doing this in Louisville.

alett12
01-27-2012, 09:37 AM
The only pen time I want Chapman doing in 2012 is his pregame warmup and between starts work and I would prefer he begin doing this in Louisville.

The only problem is if you put Chapman in louisville again for another year is you are still losing the time and money on his contract.

brad1176
01-27-2012, 09:43 AM
The only problem is if you put Chapman in louisville again for another year is you are still losing the time and money on his contract.

If he's not ready though, it doesn't matter. I would rather lose one year of Chapman to the minors, let him work things out, then be ready for the next year. In no way do I want him trying to figure things out while pitching with the big league club, it does no one any good.

alett12
01-27-2012, 09:49 AM
If he's not ready though, it doesn't matter. I would rather lose one year of Chapman to the minors, let him work things out, then be ready for the next year. In no way do I want him trying to figure things out while pitching with the big league club, it does no one any good.

Maybe, maybe not. I'll be interested to see how he does in spring training i personaly have always thought him being a starter has hinged on him developing a change up to draw guys off of his fastball and slider but to my knowledge he hasn't got one yet.