PDA

View Full Version : Met Phillips tonight at the Caravan

will5979
01-26-2012, 11:38 PM
2 words can describe him tonight.

Moody and arrogant.

The caravan was wrapping up and I give him credit for getting out of his seat and signing autographs for everyone waiting in line that didn't make it up the stage.

However, when he came to me I thought I would give him some fan appreciation and said "Hey BP we need you in Cincy for the next 4 years!" In a hateful/short/arrogant tone he responded with "you're talkin to the wrong person."

Then my sister asked him for a picture, he said yes, I told her to leave him alone. Then 2 others asked for a photo and he said "thats it I'm done" and bolted for the door.

I hope he was just in a bad mood cause I really like Brandon, but if the way he acted tonight was part of his personality then I may not be so sad to see him go if he doesn't resign after 2012, JMO.

R_Webb18
01-26-2012, 11:59 PM
im guessing even he has a bad day

Jefferson24
01-27-2012, 12:17 AM
he is gone, just too expensive. No way we pay the going rate for him. Sounds like the hometown discounts are not an option.

Might be just as well, he is getting a little older.

R_Webb18
01-27-2012, 12:18 AM
he's not that old

NorrisHopper30
01-27-2012, 12:27 AM
he's not that old

He's old.

dMaus14
01-27-2012, 12:31 AM
I'd be pretty moody when 1/3 of the people i see during the day make a comment about a contract, or hope you stay or hope to keep you in Cincy for the next 4 years and so on. Im just saying. Every time I have been around him or talked to him he has always been classy, upbeat, positive and high on life basically.

dMaus14
01-27-2012, 01:04 AM
He's old.

Joey Votto will turn 30 during the 2014 season so should we only offer 4-5 years because he'll be "old." Phillips plays 2B its not that demanding of a position. He's not having drastic drops in steals, average, homers and so forth. As long as he produces between .285+ with 18-22 HR (which isn't hard to have hope in). He deserves being paid for everything he has done for Cincinnati from performance on the field to his performance in the community.

Dan Uggla will be making $13M from 2012-2015

Robinson Cano has a $15M option for 2012

Rickie Weeks will be paid $11M from 2012-2014

Chase Utley will be paid $15M from 2012-2013

Brian Roberts will be paid $10M from 2012-2013

Personally, I think he deserves a 4 year $50M contract. If you dont resign him and then after 2013, Votto still leaves you saved money for no reason.

Larry Schuler
01-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Tone is subjective. One man's boring/casual straight forward tone is another man' rude/nasty/evil tone. Read any Yelp review where the reviewer analyzes and infers their cashier or waiter's snobby/rude/elitist/judging etc tone. Don't let it bug you.

R_Webb18
01-27-2012, 02:13 AM
He's old.

no he's not

will5979
01-27-2012, 06:24 AM
[QUOTE=dMaus14;2530069]I'd be pretty moody when 1/3 of the people i see during the day make a comment about a contract, or hope you stay or hope to keep you in Cincy for the next 4 years and so on. QUOTE]

Yeah Heaven forbid I try to tell a player that I appreciate him so much that I wish for him to remain with my favorite team.

I should have responded with "well how much freakin money do you need?" Does he really NEED 15 mil per year? I'm sure that the Reds FO would pay him at least 10 mil per year.

Again, how much freakin' money do you need?

brad1176
01-27-2012, 07:32 AM
It's not a question of how much does he need, it's a question of how much can he get.

I don't hold the money thing against these guys at all, we all do the same thing they do just on a much smaller scale. Would you take less salary than your peers to keep the company you work for competitive or would you take the offer from another company guaranteeing you a lot more money over a longer term?

Brandon may have got upset with all of the reports on trying to sign Joey long term and not him. I don't blame him, I would be too. He's done a lot for this franchise and the community.

Every time I've been around Brandon he's been very upbeat and nice but everyone has a bad day.

Moosie52
01-27-2012, 07:47 AM
Joey Votto will turn 30 during the 2014 season so should we only offer 4-5 years because he'll be "old." Phillips plays 2B its not that demanding of a position. He's not having drastic drops in steals, average, homers and so forth. As long as he produces between .285+ with 18-22 HR (which isn't hard to have hope in). He deserves being paid for everything he has done for Cincinnati from performance on the field to his performance in the community.

Dan Uggla will be making $13M from 2012-2015

Robinson Cano has a $15M option for 2012

Rickie Weeks will be paid $11M from 2012-2014

Chase Utley will be paid $15M from 2012-2013

Brian Roberts will be paid $10M from 2012-2013

Personally, I think he deserves a 4 year $50M contract. If you dont resign him and then after 2013, Votto still leaves you saved money for no reason.

I agree. is no way the Reds can outbid the Yankees for Votto. Brandon is still extremely valuable. Might as well sign him.

alett12
01-27-2012, 08:28 AM
He was the same way last year

will5979
01-27-2012, 08:43 AM
It's not a question of how much does he need, it's a question of how much can he get.

I don't hold the money thing against these guys at all, we all do the same thing they do just on a much smaller scale. Would you take less salary than your peers to keep the company you work for competitive or would you take the offer from another company guaranteeing you a lot more money over a longer term?

Brandon may have got upset with all of the reports on trying to sign Joey long term and not him. I don't blame him, I would be too. He's done a lot for this franchise and the community.

Every time I've been around Brandon he's been very upbeat and nice but everyone has a bad day.

This does not excuse his cold shoulder type of behavior. The reason he is famous is because of us fans.

The best professional athletes to meet and are quick to express appreciation for their fans is old has-been pro-wrestlers. Don't believe me? Attend a local indy show where someone like the Honky Tonk Man or The Rock n Roll Express is in the main event. I've never met nicer celebs that pro-wrestlers.

My point is his comment was inappropriate. You don't rudely walk past a fan when you are simply trying to encourage him to stay on a team where the fans appreciate you as an athlete and as a person and just rudely say, "you're talkin to the wrong person."

And another thing, I don't like his Chad Johnson type of swagger. He is not a rock-star, he is a damned ballplayer. His demeanor just has left a sour taste in my mouth and right now I could care less if he resigns, the money will be better spent on Votto anyways.

WHAT REALLY MADE ME THE MOST ANGRY...

The fact that the reason we went to the caravan was that BP is my daughter's favorite. When he came up to me I said "You're my little girl's favorite." He asked where she is and I said she is behind me, she looked up him and smiled and slowly lifted her sticker for him to sign, he went on without giving her a second. Eventually I had to go back through the line to get her sticker signed and thats when we made the signing comments to each other.

DaytonFlyer
01-27-2012, 09:15 AM
You are right. The guy who took local fans who follow him on twitter on road trips with him and the team last year has no appreciation for the fans. The guy who wants to sign an extension but basically hasn't been offered one is wrong for saying "you're talking to the wrong person". The guy who made you go through the line like everyone else to get an autograph.

The nerve.

will5979
01-27-2012, 09:26 AM
You are right. The guy who took local fans who follow him on twitter on road trips with him and the team last year has no appreciation for the fans. The guy who wants to sign an extension but basically hasn't been offered one is wrong for saying "you're talking to the wrong person". The guy who made you go through the line like everyone else to get an autograph.

The nerve.

You're missing the point, autographs are meaningless to me. All I was hoping for was for him to say hi to my daughter and give her a smile.

Just forget it, you weren't there and don't understand.

alett12
01-27-2012, 09:33 AM
You're missing the point, autographs are meaningless to me. All I was hoping for was for him to say hi to my daughter and give her a smile.

Just forget it, you weren't there and don't understand.

I hate to say it but he was just doing his job. He was exactly the same way last year when I saw him on the caravan in louisville.

will5979
01-27-2012, 09:35 AM
I hate to say it but he was just doing his job. He was exactly the same way last year when I saw him on the caravan in louisville.

What was your experience like if you don't mind me asking...

brad1176
01-27-2012, 09:38 AM
It would have upset me too if he did that to my daughter. Now that you've elaborated a bit more, I understand where you're coming from.

I agree, pro wrestlers are generally very good to their fans. I remember going to matches when I was a kid and was amazed that even the heels were nice to all of us kids.

It's always very dissappointing when someone you really enjoy watching does something that takes away from your image of them.

alett12
01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
What was your experience like if you don't mind me asking...

Mine wasn't as bad I just made a joke about going for another 30-30 year and he just looked at me and said I'd rather be on the bench and win in the playoffs. Mesoraco on the other hand is awesome.

will5979
01-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Mine wasn't as bad I just made a joke about going for another 30-30 year and he just looked at me and said I'd rather be on the bench and win in the playoffs. Mesoraco on the other hand is awesome.

I'm not a Psychologist but its sounds like "DatDude" may be a bit bi-polar.

bounty37h
01-27-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm not a Psychologist but its sounds like "DatDude" may be a bit bi-polar.

Sounds to me like he was saying he wants the team to win more than worry about his own personal achievements, which I wish every player on every team I like would think/say. BPhil has been nothing but great the couple times i have met him, and have heard of way more positive interactions than negative. As for the contract talk, prob just tired of hearing the same ol tired things each time that as he said, is up to someone else to deal with. I am sorry your daughter didn't get the interaction you/she was hoping for though, and would bet if he realized he would be sorry too.

alett12
01-27-2012, 10:28 AM
I really didn't care because he was just doing his job in my opinion but it's what ever really

justincredible
01-27-2012, 10:37 AM

This sounds like a positive, not a negative.

A friend of mine (well, my wife's really) used to work for the Reds. She knows Brandon personally and has nothing but great things to say about him. Said he was by far the nicest player she ever met while working for the team.

dMaus14
01-27-2012, 10:39 AM
This does not excuse his cold shoulder type of behavior. The reason he is famous is because of us fans.

The best professional athletes to meet and are quick to express appreciation for their fans is old has-been pro-wrestlers. Don't believe me? Attend a local indy show where someone like the Honky Tonk Man or The Rock n Roll Express is in the main event. I've never met nicer celebs that pro-wrestlers.

My point is his comment was inappropriate. You don't rudely walk past a fan when you are simply trying to encourage him to stay on a team where the fans appreciate you as an athlete and as a person and just rudely say, "you're talkin to the wrong person."

And another thing, I don't like his Chad Johnson type of swagger. He is not a rock-star, he is a damned ballplayer. His demeanor just has left a sour taste in my mouth and right now I could care less if he resigns, the money will be better spent on Votto anyways.

WHAT REALLY MADE ME THE MOST ANGRY...

The fact that the reason we went to the caravan was that BP is my daughter's favorite. When he came up to me I said "You're my little girl's favorite." He asked where she is and I said she is behind me, she looked up him and smiled and slowly lifted her sticker for him to sign, he went on without giving her a second. Eventually I had to go back through the line to get her sticker signed and thats when we made the signing comments to each other.

We all have stories. About 10-12 years ago we went to Redsfest and I got in line to take a picture with Tom Browning. My dad went to his perfect game and wanted his ticket stub signed by him (still surprised he had it). I got up there got my picture and asked him for the autograph. He said he couldn't then because it was a picture line not an autograph line, but said if I waited off to the side he would sign it once his hour was over. His hour was over and he "ran" to the exit as quickly as possible, without signing the ticket.

The feeling when you get to the field during batting practice to get autographs and the player works down the line, signs a baseball for the kid in front of you then says, "That's all guys! Got to get ready to play!" It sucks but it is their job. And honestly their is always that one fan that ruins it for everyone else by becoming bitter and loud about it (not saying its you in this case).

As for the money thing, look, I agree they really don't need that much money. Does the extra $50M really matter to CC that he signed for in his opt out clause that big a deal when he signed for a 7 year $161M contract to begin with? No, but can he get it? Yes so why not. Did A-Rod really need to make $275M? Nope but could he get it? Yes

They get taken care of through out the season. Their agents/sponsors take care of their athletic needs and the team gives them $180(?) per diem for food during the season. I'd love to get $180 a day to eat on. But if teams continue to shell out large contracts we are going to have to abide by it.

Finally, if we risk losing BP to save money for Votto and he still doesn't sign then we lose badly because both of our superstars are gone. If it comes doen to it, Sign Votto, trade Bruce. I mean if I have the choice of Phillips, Votto, or Bruce -- I am taking Phillips and Votto. I am sorry but that's just how I feel. Think what you could get from SEA, TB, ATL, BOS who all need middle of the order presence.

KYRedLeg
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM

I had a reply typed earlier saying the same thing, but decided against it. When I met him in Louisville at the caravan last year, there was absolutely no hint of the "fan friendly Brandon Phillips." I spoke, thanked him for taking the time for the fans, etc. Absolute silence.

will5979
01-27-2012, 01:04 PM
I had a reply typed earlier saying the same thing, but decided against it. When I met him in Louisville at the caravan last year, there was absolutely no hint of the "fan friendly Brandon Phillips." I spoke, thanked him for taking the time for the fans, etc. Absolute silence.

What you just said occured last night with at least 75 fans.

alett12
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM

Yeah, he wasn't in the best mood last year I'm assumimg. Mesoraco, Casetelini, and Lee May were more than happy to talk to you and joke around with you a little but brandon wasn't great last year.

bmwreds31
01-27-2012, 02:12 PM
lol what's wrong with the "quotes" he said to you. Im sure he hears it 30x a day at least. He probably says the same thing to everyone the same exact way. I'd say your taking him the wrong way. Ive met him as well at a nightclub actually, outside of a fan environment, and he was very laid back, down to earth, all smiles like he is on the field.

Stray
01-27-2012, 02:26 PM
He's about as fan friendly as it gets. You gotta remember these guys are humans and this offseason has not gone the way he wanted. He made it clear that he wants to stay here, but unfortunately no contract has been worked out. Now he has to constantly hear about it and I'm sure it's worn on him.

mroby85
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
I've met Brandon Phillips 3 times, and every time he was the nicest/most friendly professional athlete i've ever met. He posed for a picture, and acted like he actually wanted to be there, even though i'm sure there were places he'd much rather be. I also sent phillips an 8x10 in the mail when I was in high school, and he signed and returned it to me. I have seen nothing but good things from Phillips in terms of fan interaction anytime i've ever been around him, or heard stories about him. It also sounded like he answered the question honestly, and stayed extra to pose for some pictures before everyone started wanting them, which is understandable. One final thought, I think it shows that Phillip enjoys being good to fans, or he wouldn't still be taking part in the Reds caravan, take a look at the players that are on those trips, he's beyond the caliber of the rest of them every year. It's usually rookies who haven't made an impact yet, announcers, and mascots.

RedsfaninMT
01-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Seems to me that BP might be a bit ticked that Jockey hasn't offered a contract - thus his "you're talking to the wrong guy" statement. Can't say that I blame him. He has been supper approachable by fans (far more than Votto), played exceptional defense, good offense, and last year became a leader on the team...yet no contract extension, while the Reds spend big on others.

I'd be bitter too. I know they have to stay within a budget, but I truly hope they find a way to extend him.

justincredible
01-28-2012, 01:09 AM
I've met Brandon Phillips 3 times, and every time he was the nicest/most friendly professional athlete i've ever met. He posed for a picture, and acted like he actually wanted to be there, even though i'm sure there were places he'd much rather be. I also sent phillips an 8x10 in the mail when I was in high school, and he signed and returned it to me. I have seen nothing but good things from Phillips in terms of fan interaction anytime i've ever been around him, or heard stories about him. It also sounded like he answered the question honestly, and stayed extra to pose for some pictures before everyone started wanting them, which is understandable. One final thought, I think it shows that Phillip enjoys being good to fans, or he wouldn't still be taking part in the Reds caravan, take a look at the players that are on those trips, he's beyond the caliber of the rest of them every year. It's usually rookies who haven't made an impact yet, announcers, and mascots.

Great post and good point. Phillips does not have to do the caravan yet he does it every year. The rest of the guys on the trip are: Mesoraco (rookie), LaMarre (minors), Barnhart (minors), Frazier (rookie), Hamilton (minors), Masset (not on the trip full time, also not a star). Then you have Phillips, the silver slugging, gold gloving, all-star. No Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, Rolen, Arroyo, etc.

SidneySlicker
01-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Sorry, but welcome to the world of professional athletes. Should BP have been less snarky? Probably, but if you judged most professional (and sorry I'm not counting minor leaguer's) athletes by the same standards you would be severely disappointed.

Add to that contract disputes are extremely hard. It's a process where the baseball club has to tell the player all the things that are wrong with him to prove their price point. For players the money contracts aren't always about making money it's about feeling appreciated and feeling that you are paid what other athletes of like ability are making.

Brandon seems like a very nice and genuine individual by pro athletes standards, but I've never met him. You have to understand that they live a in a much different world than you. I'll get off my soapbox now.

mlh1981
01-29-2012, 08:38 AM
I think it's cool he still does the tour. He doesn't have to.

My main beef with Phillips is he has a lack of focus at time that hurts the team, such as what happened in Philly when he got picked off. Other than that, I appreciate the consistent excellent he has brought at 2B and he truly has been one of the faces of this organization the past 5-6 years.

alett12
01-30-2012, 09:06 AM
In my personal opinion the Reds have some of the best fan friendly players in baseball even with Phillips being pissy

will5979
01-30-2012, 09:33 AM
In my personal opinion the Reds have some of the best fan friendly players in baseball even with Phillips being pissy

Have to agree, its just my luck that I catch Phillips being bratty.

And like I said before, another thing that got on my last nerve was the fact that IMO he is trying to be the Chad Johnson of baseball. Be more classy and act like a ballplayer and not a rap star.

In Nascar I can't stand the same thing about Dale Jr. Be a driver instead of a celeb.

alett12
01-30-2012, 10:49 AM
Have to agree, its just my luck that I catch Phillips being bratty.

And like I said before, another thing that got on my last nerve was the fact that IMO he is trying to be the Chad Johnson of baseball. Be more classy and act like a ballplayer and not a rap star.

In Nascar I can't stand the same thing about Dale Jr. Be a driver instead of a celeb.

Frazier, Masset, Mesoraco, and in my experiences from Bats games, and the caravan are all great. Even Billy Hamilton who doesn't seem to be the brightest person in the reds system is willing to talk to you a little