PDA

View Full Version : Reds players who are out of options...

_Sir_Charles_
02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
I know this is something that ALWAYS comes up here, and since Mark Sheldon was kind enough to post the info, here's a good place to post it. :O)

*Since it will likely be asked often over the next two months, here is the list of the Reds players that are out of options:
Jose Arredondo
Bronson Arroyo
Homer Bailey
Bill Bray
Miguel Cairo
Carlos Fisher
Juan Francisco
Nick Masset
Brandon Phillips
Wilson Valdez

Vottomatic
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
I know this is something that ALWAYS comes up here, and since Mark Sheldon was kind enough to post the info, here's a good place to post it. :O)

Good. Because we may need to send Votto or Bruce down to get their offense going. :laugh:

savafan
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Good. Because we may need to send Votto or Bruce down to get their offense going. :laugh:

Rolen also. ;)

mace
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Seems like a tenuous position for Carlos Fisher to be in. Especially with Ryan Ludwick needing a spot on the 40-man. (At least, it looks that way according to the roster on reds.com.)

Roy Tucker
02-01-2012, 03:12 PM
What about Wily Mo Pena?

klw
02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
What about Wily Mo Pena?

They reworked his contract.

RED VAN HOT
02-01-2012, 04:52 PM
I had thought that Frazier would have a decent shot because he can play both 3B and OF and even 2B and SS in an emergency, but seeing that Francisco is out of options changes that. Barring injuries or a fantastic spring, it looks as if Janish, Frazier, and Phipps will be headed to AAA. That would mean 4 OF and 7 IF. Not happy with Valdez staying on the 25 and getting some starts at SS, but it is shaping up that way.

TRF
02-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I wonder if the Reds could have Leased Wily Mo to Japan for two seasons.

I'm only half joking. You can't send him down to affiliated minor league baseball without him clearing waivers, but you can SELL his contract. Or could have, like they did Blalentein. But what if they just leased his contract?

Unless there is a legal precedent as to why they can't, I suppose if the player agreed, it would be possible.

mth123
02-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Paul Janish is conspicuous by his absence on this list. So Valdez makes the roster as the 25th man and Janish is optioned to AAA to play SS every day. If Cozart goes down, they'll be glad they have both to split the role while playing championship caliber defense and not just one of them to flail away each day. They both have a much better chance at productivity if they can keep the PT down to 3 days per week.

Hopefully Cozart plays 150 games and these two become an insurance policy that doesn't need to be used.

Mario-Rijo
02-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Seems like a tenuous position for Carlos Fisher to be in. Especially with Ryan Ludwick needing a spot on the 40-man. (At least, it looks that way according to the roster on reds.com.)

Well I think Negron gets moved off the 40 for Ludwick but Fisher isn't real likely to make the team all the rest of these guys are in a good spot to make it though.

Maybe they can deal both Negron and Fisher for a better arm than Fisher with options. Then again Fisher could make the roster I suppose given an injury.

RED VAN HOT
02-01-2012, 10:13 PM
I'm confused about the rules. When must Ludwick be added? If he is on a major league contract, shouldn't he have been added when he signed?

cinreds21
02-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm confused about the rules. When must Ludwick be added? If he is on a major league contract, shouldn't he have been added when he signed?

That's usually the case, but I've noticed this off-season that teams (not just the Reds) have been extremely slow to making everything official.