PDA

View Full Version : Cooperstown

Johnny Footstool
02-06-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm trying to make plans to travel to Cooperstown for Larkin's induction the weekend of July 21-22. Currently, it looks like I'm going to fly into Albany, rent a car, and get a hotel in Oneonta.

I'm looking for advice. Has anyone else made plans for this summer? Those of you who have been to Cooperstown -- are my plans solid? Is there anything I should know, like Oneonta is infested with zombies or something?

muddie
02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Oneonta is a not a bad little town. I attended a baseball game there in 2007 I believe it was. The Tigers NY-Penn League was there then. They've been hi-jacked to Connecticutt since then. I recall that alcohol sales were not permitted at the park. My friend and I went across the street, bought a 12 pack, and went in and out between innings for some suds. The lady at the gate didn't mind at all.
Cooperstown has a couple of breweries worth looking at. Ommegang Brewery is not far outside town at all and is nationally known, they make good beer. There is another brewery outside town and I can't recall the name of it right now. It is a smaller brewery. The brewery has a baseball related name for what it is worth. There is a nice lake on the skirts of Cooperstown. They have an eatery or two down by the water and a tour boat...or two. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the country there. That's my recollection of our trip up. Of course, the HOF is a stop you'll never forget. Enjoy your trip.

RichRed
02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Albany's definitely the right place to fly into.

Also, Oneonta's zombie issue is vastly overblown.

marcshoe
02-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I've decided my growing dislike of crowds will keep me from going up for the ceremony. I'm getting old. I do plan on driving up before the end of summer. I've never been and, well, I'm getting old. Besides, my father tells me I need to visit the camp for the blind that my great-uncle founded in central Pennsylvania, and I want to go wandering.

So, is there a particular route I should take to avoid the zombies? Are they as bad as the deer are around here?

OldRightHander
02-07-2012, 12:42 AM
So, is there a particular route I should take to avoid the zombies? Are they as bad as the deer are around here?

They're not as bad as deer because they don't do as much damage to your vehicle when you hit them at 70 mph.

Ron Madden
02-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Speaking of zombies WEHT zombie-a-go-go?

Bob Borkowski
02-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Speaking of zombies WEHT zombie-a-go-go?

Yikes, I just checked and his last visit was in May of '07!

What in the heck happens to all of these people who are heavy-duty regulars and then fall off the face of the earth? :confused:

tommycash
02-09-2012, 09:08 AM
I along with my brothers and my cousin are driving to Cooperstown to see Barry get inducted. We are staying the day and then heading back. The hotel costs seem to be too high in that area during that time. We will probably stop near Buffalo on the way back to sleep. We have also planned to go off course a bit and stop by Canton on the way back. We figure that we can all cross two things off our bucket lists in one weekend. I hope that the whole town will be painted in Reds fans for Barry.

Johnny Footstool
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
I along with my brothers and my cousin are driving to Cooperstown to see Barry get inducted.

I hope that the whole town will be painted in Reds fans for Barry.

That's the main reason I'm going. There probably won't ever be another opportunity like this, when the lone HOF inductee is a lifetime Cincinnati Red.

tommycash
02-09-2012, 10:57 AM
That's the main reason I'm going. There probably won't ever be another opportunity like this, when the lone HOF inductee is a lifetime Cincinnati Red.

You are exactly right. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. (Unless Dave Concepcion gets in under the Veteran's Committee) This will probably be the last time in a long time before a player who spent his entire career with the Reds goes into the Hall. We can all hope that Joey stays with us for his whole career, but it is not likely. There is no guarantee that he makes the Hall anyway.

RichRed
02-09-2012, 11:04 AM

There will probably be a smattering of Cubs gear around town too, with Ron Santo being inducted posthumously.

I wish I could make the trip, but don't think I can swing it.

Johnny Footstool
02-09-2012, 12:26 PM
There will probably be a smattering of Cubs gear around town too, with Ron Santo being inducted posthumously.

I wish I could make the trip, but don't think I can swing it.

Possibly, but those will be die-hard Cubs fans, not the rowdy bandwagoners who like to get drunk and invade GAB.

Mario-Rijo
02-09-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm hoping to make the trek myself, it'll be my 1st time as well. I can't think of a better time to go than when your favorite all time player is inducted. Perhaps we can have a RZ get together also, maybe a lunch or something if nothing else. I imagine I'll drive up or perhaps take a bus.

Johnny Footstool
03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I booked my trip yesterday. Oneonta hotels appear to be booked up (at least the nice ones are), so I'm staying in Albany. Looking forward to seeing a sea of Reds fans that weekend.

OldRightHander
03-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm going to get my van out of semi-retirement for that weekend and just drive up there and spend the weekend at a truck stop.

Johnny Footstool
07-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Bump!

Heading up on Thursday. I'm going to spend all day Friday in the HOF, and then hang out in and around the town on Saturday. I'd love to have a beer or two with any of you guys.

RichRed
07-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Bump!

Heading up on Thursday. I'm going to spend all day Friday in the HOF, and then hang out in and around the town on Saturday. I'd love to have a beer or two with any of you guys.

Don't know if you're into their music, or if it fits in with your itinerary, but Surfer Blood and Death Cab for Cutie are playing at Ommegang Brewery this Saturday. If not, then hey, there's still the beer.

cumberlandreds
07-17-2012, 01:24 PM
Bump!

Let us know how everything goes. I'm thinking about going up there for my big 5-0 birthday next year. I'd like to know all the ins and outs of going to Cooperstown.

edabbs44
07-17-2012, 01:55 PM
Bumming, came down with a virus (ended up in the hospital last week) and had to cancel my plans.

Johnny Footstool
07-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Don't know if you're into their music, or if it fits in with your itinerary, but Surfer Blood and Death Cab for Cutie are playing at Ommegang Brewery this Saturday. If not, then hey, there's still the beer.

Yeah, I have Saturday completely open, and these bands are right up my alley (not a huge Death Cab fan, but I enjoy them).

Thanks for the tip!

kbrake
07-17-2012, 02:21 PM
I'll be getting in Saturday afternoon with a fellow Redszoner. Let me know where everyone is heading.

muddie
07-17-2012, 04:29 PM

We visited Ommegang Brewery when we were up there. There is a smaller brewery when you head out to Ommegang from Cooperstown called Old Slugger...good beer. Stop in there as well.

IslandRed
07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Glad to hear some of you guys will make it. I was in Cooperstown a little over two weeks ago -- not exactly great timing, but I had to coordinate with family plans -- and really enjoyed the Hall of Fame. Wish I could have stayed longer. They did have a nice area set up with information about Larkin and Santos and the upcoming ceremony.

TeamBoone
07-17-2012, 11:35 PM
Utica is also fairly close to Cooperstown.

Edd Roush
07-19-2012, 09:48 PM
A couple of buddies and myself will be arriving in Cooperstown tomorrow night. For those with more knowledge, what local establishments should we hit up for a cold beverage? Is there going to be a Redszone gathering anywhere? I may be the only guy in Cooperstown wearing a green Johnny Bench jersey. If you see me, please come up and say hey. I love meeting fellow 'Zoners.

Johnny Footstool
07-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Not sure exactly when I died, but I'm pretty sure I'm in heaven.

Johnny Footstool
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Edd, post here when you get to town. We'll figure out a place to meet up.

pedro
07-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Yeah, I have Saturday completely open, and these bands are right up my alley (not a huge Death Cab fan, but I enjoy them).

Thanks for the tip!

That's a good double bill, I've seen them both...

Edd Roush
07-20-2012, 03:51 PM
Edd, post here when you get to town. We'll figure out a place to meet up.

Will do, Johnny. Anyone else is welcome to join as well.

Also, does anyone know of a place that will show the Reds' game tonight? That is priority #1 for us tonight.

Johnny Footstool
07-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Any luck, Edd? I asked some locals, and they doubt anyplace in town can get the Reds game.

Edd Roush
07-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Just got to Cooleys. We are drinking and eating here. Bartender said that they were supposed to get DirecTV on Thursday, but they messed up. The bartender says no other bar is likely to have it. I guess I will just have to follow on my phone...

Mario-Rijo
07-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Have fun guys, I wanted to be there but poor planning and all. I guess I'll have to wait until Votto is inducted. ;)

Johnny Footstool
07-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Just got to Cooleys. We are drinking and eating here. Bartender said that they were supposed to get DirecTV on Thursday, but they messed up. The bartender says no other bar is likely to have it. I guess I will just have to follow on my phone...

I was there earlier.

George Anderson
07-20-2012, 11:28 PM
What is the cub fan to reds fan ratio? I have my fears the bad guys have more.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 12:02 PM
It's not close. Every third person is wearing Reds gear. More Yankee fans than Cub fans. At least that's how it was yesterday.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Today its about even.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Anyone going to watch the parade?

kbrake
07-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Just got to the hotel in Little Falls. Heading to Cooperstown shortly. We might go to the parade. Never been here before so not sure what to expect.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 03:44 PM
You'll want to park in a trolley lot and ride into town. Very little parking. There is a trolley lot next to the Fenimore museum, and one on Glen and Maple, if that helps.

kbrake
07-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the advice I'm sure it will be helpful.

Edd Roush
07-21-2012, 04:53 PM
We are going to the parade. Having a beer at TJs Place now. Any suggestions of good places to watch the parade?

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm having a beer @ All aAmerican Cafe, and I'm sitting at the rail, kind of in front of the Wax Museum. The street is filling up quickly, but you guys should still be able to find space.

kbrake
07-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Parade was cool. Getting some food and a beer at TJ's Place.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 07:09 PM
I'll head over there in a bit.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm the guy in the black Cincinnati shirt with the blue folding chair.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey, Kbrake, it was great to meet you guys. I really enjoyed talking to you all.
I found out that the trolley only runs until 9, so you might want to catch it soon.

Edd Roush
07-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey, Kbrake, it was great to meet you guys. I really enjoyed talking to you all.
I found out that the trolley only runs until 9, so you might want to catch it soon.

Johnny, it was great to see you from across the parade lol. Are you or any other Redzoners out in Cooperstown tonight? If so, what bar?

kbrake
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
We just got back to the hotel. It was great meeting you too Johnny. Edd and Johnny we'll be back tomorrow if you guys want to meet up for a Redszone beer.

_Sir_Charles_
07-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Sure would be great if you guys could post some pics. Any chance?

Edd Roush
07-21-2012, 10:26 PM
We just got back to the hotel. It was great meeting you too Johnny. Edd and Johnny we'll be back tomorrow if you guys want to meet up for a Redszone beer.

I am going to be in Cooperstown all day tomorrow and we are spending the night in Cooperstown. Let me know if you want to catch up tomorrow. We are heading out to the bars right now.

kbrake
07-21-2012, 10:28 PM

I might be able to once we get home. As long as my girlfriend took some decent ones haha.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 10:55 PM

I'll post them once I get home.

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 10:56 PM

Sure! Anywhere is fine!

Johnny Footstool
07-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I am going to be in Cooperstown all day tomorrow and we are spending the night in Cooperstown. Let me know if you want to catch up tomorrow. We are heading out to the bars right now.

Next time, I'm staying in Cooperstown. The drive to Albany is a pain.

Johnny Footstool
07-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Here @ Clark Field. Thought I'd get here early, but it wasn't necessary. Plenty of space.

kbrake
07-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Just walked into the Hall. First time. This is amazing.

Edd Roush
07-22-2012, 10:58 AM

My buddies and I spent six hours in there yesterday. Something tells me you wont be done in time for the induction ceremony. Good thing they allow you to re enter after the ceremony.

Johnny Footstool
07-22-2012, 11:25 AM

See if you can find the picture of Dave Burba,

wally post
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
Enjoy fellas! (I'm jealous!)

kbrake
07-22-2012, 12:10 PM
We just barely made it through the first floor. Will have to head back after the ceremony.

Johnny Footstool
07-22-2012, 02:28 PM
The only time Reds and Cubs fans have agreed is when we all booed Tony Larussa.

Edd Roush
07-22-2012, 02:34 PM

I dont think the handful of Cardinal fans within earshot of me enjoyed that too much haha. This induction ceremony has been really well done to this point. The Santo video was great.

Tom Servo
07-22-2012, 02:49 PM
http://www.red-hot-mama.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/larussa_conjunctivitis.jpg

Johnny Footstool
07-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Eric Davis talkin' trash about the BRM!

Johnny Footstool
07-22-2012, 04:08 PM
Larkin's speech was a Reds fanboy's dream.

mattfeet
07-22-2012, 04:16 PM
http://www.red-hot-mama.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/larussa_conjunctivitis.jpg

Im not a fan of the dude, but is this pic really necessary?

Always Red
07-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Larkin's speech was a Reds fanboy's dream.

I was enthralled; it was a walk down Main Street, Cincinnati, from 1972 or so to the year 2000.

It was really cool that 2 guys were inducted who were all in for the towns they played for- Santo was more of a Chicago guy than anyone who came from there, and Larkin paid tribute to all the Cincinnati guys- from Rose to Parker to even the Stowe family and Buddy Bell.

It's obvious the effect Eric Davis had on Larkin, and the love he has for Eric. It did not occur to me until tonight that he never mentioned Junior a single time. I have no problem with that, it's just interesting to me, since Lark was stressing the Cincinnati angle. And Junior went to the same high school Barry did- Moeller.

mth123
07-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Larkin's and Griffey's years together weren't really the best of times. Understandable he didn't mention him. I'm trying to blot those years from my memory as well.

Always Red
07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Larkin's and Griffey's years together weren't really the best of times. Understandable he didn't mention him. I'm trying to blot those years from my memory as well.

As am I; like I said, it's just an interesting observation.

Matt700wlw
07-22-2012, 08:52 PM
Barry Larkin delivered for 19 years in a Reds uniform.

Today, he delievered again.

His speech was very Barry Larkin. Classy, humble, and not about himself.

Congrats, Barry. I'm a very proud Reds fan today.

DGullett35
07-22-2012, 10:23 PM

Selig was booed pretty heavily too. I wonder how much of that was from Reds fans due to Pete?

WVRedsFan
07-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Selig was booed pretty heavily too. I wonder how much of that was from Reds fans due to Pete?

I think a lot. Would have loved to see Bud's face when Barry was thanking Pete.

HeatherC1212
07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Sounds like it was an awesome day in Cooperstown for our guy Barry! Thanks for sharing some of your thoughts and experiences here and I look forward to seeing your pictures. :)

George Anderson
07-23-2012, 12:13 AM
So what was the percentage of Reds/Cubs fans?

WVRedsFan
07-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Someday I will go to the induction when Pete or Junior or Davey or another Red gets inducted. It just has to be when I'm retired and have the time. And Barry was Barry. Just fantastic.

Johnny Footstool
07-23-2012, 09:06 AM
So what was the percentage of Reds/Cubs fans?

The crowd was about 40 percent Reds fans, 20 percent Cubs, 10 percent Yankees, and the rest miscellaneous.

Joseph
07-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I wish I'd have checked in here before heading out. The wife and I would have loved a redszone group outing at the Hall.

We spent the weekend on a baseball trip. Friday we went to Fenway park for the very first time. I love old buildings, but sometimes they get a reputation for being 'cool' but when you get there they are a big disappointment. Fenway was just....something, it was cool, it was amazing, it was what you expect it to be when you romantacize something as a kid. You could feel history as you walked around the bowels of the stadium. The electricity out on Yawkey way even was just surreal.

Perhaps tis being accustomed to the midwest, most of my games have been in staid ol' Cincinnati. I love the town, I love my Reds, but it takes a lot to generate excitement there. In Boston I shared a table with a couple older guys and we just talked baseball as we downed some Fenway Franks. It was refreshing and fun and we loved every minute of it.

This place was just fantastic. From rind to core, from stem to stern, there was nothing I didnt like about Fenway, aside from the small seat.

Saturday we spent most of the day in Boston. We did the touristy things, visiting Harvard Square, we had a beer at Cheers, we went to see the USS Constitution. All fantastic things and lots of fun, but not really baseball related. Boston is a seemingly lovely town even though we blew through in about 30 hours, I'd love to go back and spend more time there.

Saturday we drove over to Albany, NY and stayed at the luxurious Days Inn by the airport. Such a lovely place. I highly recomment that. Ok, that was sarcasm, it was a hole, but oh well. We really got to Albany just to sleep after the day in Boston.

As much as I loved Boston, I wish I'd have gone on to Cooperstown, it was....surreal.

You grow up loving baseball all your life. Its instilled in you like religion when you are a kid. You love a team, the Reds for most all of us, you love players. For me as a kid it was a handful of players. Barry Larkin, Eric Davis, Dave Parker [more on him in a minute], Jose Rijo, the list goes on. Some of those late 80's early 90's teams were right in my baseball wheelhouse, but getting to Cooperstown...indescribable almost. It puts into perspective the magnitude of the game, the players, its just awe inspiring.

I walked down that street and met players like Denny McClain, marred by his own greed yet his place in history is known by most all who love the game. I walked into a card shop and saw our own Peter Edward Rose, disgraced just the same [and worse] as Denny. He sat there, like we've all seen him a dozen times on TV, looking grumpy, signing whatever was shoved in front of him for 60$. Further down was Lou, Eric, Dave....all guys from that era of my youth. I wasn't paying for autographs, but it was something for a kid like me who never went to a big league game until I was an adult to see those guys I once revered. The list went on, Tony Perez, Andre Dawson, etc.

In the Hall itself I met Bob Castellini up on the 3rd floor. I'm usually of the opinion that no one wants to talk to me, so I'm not outgoing for the most part. If the other person engages, I'll talk your ear off, but I'm not much of a conversation starter. Bob was about to go on some sort of tour so a quick exchange of pleasantries was about all that transpired, but he was a very cordial man.

The Hall itself, you just can't begin to describe it. If you love the history of the game, you have to go, thats all there is to it.

Barry's moment in the sun was just such a joy for me. It's really down to he and Eric as my favorite player as a kid, but getting to go see Barry in the hall was just a near religious experience. It had to be done.

Most of you watched the speech, there's no need for me to recap it, but it was a special one for me.

This strange and interesting weekend didn't end there for me though.

After the ceremony we raced back to the Albany airport to catch a flight home. We went through all the usual rigamaroll and got into the concourse area. We had lunch at McDonalds and went to our gate. After a short time the wife decided we should go look at the shops, find something to read, anything but just sitting there, so I agreed. We started back up towards the hub of the airport and pass a security guard who smiles and says 'Hey did you see Dave Parker was up there?' [we were naturally in Reds gear].

Well when I was a kid I chewed my gum like Dave Parker. [It's good to not have to explain that since most of you know how oddly he chewed his gum]. I also tried to emulate his batting style when I'd hit lefty. So I wanted to say hello and get an autograph. I'm not usually an autograph hound, my wife does that moreso than me.

So I get the ball I bought at the HoF and a sharpie out of my backpack and walk towards him, these items tucked away so he did'nt see that right away.

I ask politely if he'd be willing to sign one for me. His response reminded me of why we shouldn't idolize these guys.

'Man, I been doing that all weekend'. With that he took out his phone and made a call.

His wife however began to talk to me. Asking how I liked the hall of fame, the ceremony, where we were from, how our drive over was. Just nice pleasant talk. I stood and talked to her for several minutes while Cobra was on the phone. After that I thanked her and apologized for bothering them and walked away.

They went to the McDonalds we'd eaten at just a short time before and I sighed a bit, dejected, but not thinking too much of it. After a while we returned to our gate and awaited our flight. Well some twenty minutes later down the way comes Dave again. He and his wife take a seat a gate next to ours. She smiled and nodded as she saw us and I did the same. After a while I went to the restroom and when I came back we sat in different seats due to other folks arriving and Dave was in my peripheral view at this point. I see him raise his arms and kind of wave out of the corner of my eye and I turn and look. He motioned me over, I had to do a double take and ask if he meant me, to which he smiled and nodded.

So I walked over and sat down and he says 'Sorry about that man. What you got to sign?' I showed him the ball but indicated my sharpie was now in my wifes purse in the restroom. He started digging around in his bag to find something, but my wife returned soon and produced her Reds themed sharpie.

Again his wife and I conversed, she talking about just them getting to eat and all, and I could tell I'd just caught him at a bad time earlier, but he was happy to sign for me a ball that I now display in my reds billiards room.

Is it the most amazing thing ever? No of course not. But it was a very nice capper to a baseball pilgrimage. I got to sit with a fromer Red and his wife and just talk about nothing at all in an airport for a few minutes on the weekend one of my all time favorites was put into the pantheon of great players. What's more, he invited me to do so. I'd accepted the simple rejection earlier and wouldn't have thought another thing of it, yet he took that time to correct the earlier slight and remind me that these guys are human like the rest of us and they can be nice just like the rest of us.

A wonderful weekend full of great Reds memories and baseball firsts for me. All told a fantastic time.

_Sir_Charles_
07-23-2012, 09:24 PM
Great recap Joseph. Thanks for that. Hard not to like Parker.

nate
07-23-2012, 09:26 PM
High five, Joseph!

TeamBoone
07-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow, Joseph! What a great post. Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was brought up in upstate NY, though I live in Cincinnati now, so I've been to the HOF several times. Therefore, I can relate to the awe every baseball fan feels the first time they walk through the door.... actually, I still feel that way whenever I'm lucky enough to walk through the door. The actual Hall, where all the plaques are, takes my breath away every time. Such a hallowed shrine. Anyway, I enjoyed your post immensely and am so glad you had the opportunity to go.

Johnny Footstool
07-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Great to hear from you, Joseph! I'm sorry we didn't have a chance to grab a beer.

Your story about Dave Parker illustrates why I never ask famous people for autographs -- I know they do that all the time, and I'm afraid they'll go off on me publicly, and I'll have to tell everyone what a jerk so-and-so was. I'm glad Dave's wife finally convinced him to sign for you.

Johnny Footstool
07-24-2012, 12:03 AM

Barry's speech focused on his formative years, so it wasn't all that surprising that he didn't mention Junior.

mth123
07-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Barry's speech focused on his formative years, so it wasn't all that surprising that he didn't mention Junior.

Agreed

Joseph
07-24-2012, 08:43 PM
happy to share the story with you guys.

Best of all, the wife was the impetus of this trip, so thats really the cherry on the sundae.

cumberlandreds
07-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Good stories, Joseph. Thanks for sharing them.

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2012, 05:58 PM
Here are my pics from inside the hall. Most of them didn't turn out as good as I expected, but I still dig them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112760389458854511616/albums/5770341344995884161?authkey=COrFivHN5bO0aA

Always Red
07-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Great stuff Johnny; I've never been to Cooperstown and those pics make me want to go all the more. Thanks for sharing!

RedlegJake
07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Unbelievably cool post and photos Joseph! Thanks for the post - it was a great read and really great memory for you - I hope you write up something like this for your kids to have someday!

Johnny Footstool
07-28-2012, 08:06 PM
I still have about 700 photos of the parade to sort through. I'll post them soon.

RedsBaron
07-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Joseph that was a terrific post. I am glad to see the happy ending to your Dave Parker story.
I made my first ever trip to Cooperstown earlier this month, although not during HOF induction week, alas. My wife, 15 year old son, my son's friend, and I drove to Niagara Falls on July 9. On July 11, while enroute to Vermont we visited Cooperstown. I absolutely loved it and I want to return.
A few years ago I had visited the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton while on the way to Youngstown on business. I wasn't that impressed for some reason, maybe because of the lack of atmosphere, with that HOF just hard by a busy freeway. Cooperstown is so different, feeling like Baseball Heaven well before you can even see the museum itself.
We also later were in Boston for three days. I had been to Boston several times before but the family had never before been there. We also did the Fenway Park tour, which I loved. It cracked me up when our guide, as we sat on top of the "Green Monstah", told us how the Fisk Pole got its name, concluding by saying that Fisk hit a HR to win game six and that was how the 1975 World Series "ended. If you want any more details, go to Cincinnati." :laugh:

_Sir_Charles_
07-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Here are my pics from inside the hall. Most of them didn't turn out as good as I expected, but I still dig them.

https://plus.google.com/photos/112760389458854511616/albums/5770341344995884161?authkey=COrFivHN5bO0aA (https://plus.google.com/photos/112760389458854511616/albums/5770341344995884161?authkey=COrFivHN5bO0aA)

Thank you Johnny. Those were OUTSTANDING!