PDA

View Full Version : Is Willie Bloomquist baseball's Stephen Malkmus?

marcshoe
02-06-2012, 11:14 AM
While I've heard this opinion of why fans like scrappy players before, this (free) Baseball Prospectus article (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=15975) used a bit of an unusual analogy.

Relative to their peers, Pavement are not very good at what they do. There may be other valid reasons for liking them, just as there are valid reasons for liking Eckstein or Bloomquist (e.g., hitting homers for a sick kid). But we shouldn't confuse our liking them with their being good. Let's at least be honest about that much

pedro
02-06-2012, 11:35 AM
That dude is a fool.

camisadelgolf
02-06-2012, 01:24 PM
That dude is a fool.
Exactly. Stephen Malkmus is responsible for some of the best albums in the past decade, but Pavement created some of the best albums of their time, too. Willie Bloomquist is more like Nickelback than Pavement: kind of sucks, always overpaid, and people expect too much of him.

TRF
02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
There are people that expect... much... from nickelback?

I refuse to believe that.

*BaseClogger*
02-06-2012, 02:16 PM
This is stupid!

camisadelgolf
02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
There are people that expect... much... from nickelback?

I refuse to believe that.
There are people who actually buy their albums, too. It's a sick world. But honestly, even though I don't like Nickelback, I often defend them because I don't think they're nearly as horrible as people make them out to be. Still, there's much worse music out there that I'd rather listen to.

medford
02-06-2012, 02:33 PM
I could yell Nickleback on an empty subway, and I'd get 15 people telling me they suck.

I'm not a music afficienado, far from it, couldn't carry a tune to save my life on any instrament, nor with my voice. I like what I like and don't give much thought to the process behind it other than a few books I've read on the lives of Johhny Cash, Jerry Garcia and a few other music icons. I've never understood the amount of people who insist that they hate nickleback, I find them neither good, nor deplorable, just kind of another band I hear from time to time on the radio. What is it that so many people hate so much about them, and how the heck do they remain relavant with so many people outspoken with their hate for that particular group?

TRF
02-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Nickelback is the music equivalent of great value creamed corn. generic AND bland wrapped in a plain white wrapper.

just like Bloomquist and Eckstein.

CesarGeronimo
02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I could yell Nickleback on an empty subway, and I'd get 15 people telling me they suck.

I'm not a music afficienado, far from it, couldn't carry a tune to save my life on any instrament, nor with my voice. I like what I like and don't give much thought to the process behind it other than a few books I've read on the lives of Johhny Cash, Jerry Garcia and a few other music icons. I've never understood the amount of people who insist that they hate nickleback, I find them neither good, nor deplorable, just kind of another band I hear from time to time on the radio. What is it that so many people hate so much about them, and how the heck do they remain relavant with so many people outspoken with their hate for that particular group?

One possible reason people say they hate Nickleback is lyrics like this:

"Next Contestant"

I judge by what she's wearing
Just how many heads I'm tearing
Off of *******s coming on to her
Each night seems like it's getting worse
And I wish she'd take the night off
So I don't have to fight off
Every ******* coming on to her
It happens every night she works
They'll go and ask the DJ
Find out just what would she say
If they all tried coming on to her
Don't they know it's never going to work
They think they'll get inside her
With every drink they buy her
As they all try coming on to her
This time somebody's getting hurt

Here comes the next contestant

[CHORUS]
Is that your hand on my girlfriend?
Is that your hand?
I wish you'd do it again
I'll watch you leave here limping
I wish you'd do it again
I'll watch you leave here limping
There goes the next contestant

I even fear the ladies
They're cool but twice as crazy
Just as bad for coming on to her
Don't they know it's never going to work
Each time she bats an eyelash
Somebody's grabbing her ass
Everyone keeps coming on to her

[CHORUS]

I'm hating what she's wearing
Everybody here keeps staring
Can't wait 'til they get what they deserve

[CHORUS]
I wish you'd do it again
Each night seems like it's getting worse
I wish you'd do it again

There goes the next contestant

Strikes Out Looking
02-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Who is Nickleback? And can he pitch?

medford
02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Nickelback is the music equivalent of great value creamed corn. generic AND bland wrapped in a plain white wrapper.

just like Bloomquist and Eckstein.

generic & bland, wrapped in a plain white paper?

OK, so if that's the case, why all the hate? there are a ton of generic and plain bands on the radio, it seems like non have the hate thrown their way the way that nickleback does. People may not take notice of Sarah plain & tall, but they don't hate her either.

Does anyone hate the David Eckstein's of the world? Does anyone (common fan that is) really love them either?

camisadelgolf
02-06-2012, 04:53 PM
generic & bland, wrapped in a plain white paper?

OK, so if that's the case, why all the hate? there are a ton of generic and plain bands on the radio, it seems like non have the hate thrown their way the way that nickleback does. People may not take notice of Sarah plain & tall, but they don't hate her either.

Does anyone hate the David Eckstein's of the world? Does anyone (common fan that is) really love them either?
Nickelback simply embodies it better.

marcshoe
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
The author starts the article by admitting he likes ABBA, so I immediately wonder why a soccer fan even cares about Willie Bloomquist.