PDA

View Full Version : Brad Penny to pitch in Japan

savafan
02-09-2012, 01:53 PM
I'm rather surprised that Penny couldn't find a deal somewhere with a team here in the states.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Around_pro_baseball_Penny_will_pit ch_in_Japan;_Mariners_drop_BTWs_Wilson_/47-14109

Broken Arrow graduate Brad Penny will pitch in Japan this year after signing a one-year contract with the Softbank Hawks.

Penny will receive $4 million and could about double that if he reaches all his performance clauses. It appears that it could be the largest first-time contract ever given in Japan to a U.S. pitcher.

OesterPoster
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I thought he was engaged to Karina Smirnoff, but apparently she broke that off in December. I guess he'll be looking for new love in Japan.

15fan
02-09-2012, 07:43 PM
Somewhere there's a witty headline or punchline that uses Penny & Yen.

RedLegSuperStar
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
I'm sure he had a deal here in the states. I just don't think any of them were near the potential of $8 million

Blitz Dorsey
02-09-2012, 10:38 PM
That sounds about right for him. He's been horrific the last few years. He's also oft-injured and a complete headcase. Other than that, love the guy.

RedlegJake
02-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Actually, as Oswalt shows, the market for borderline good/question marks starters is soft. Not that there aren't teams that would have them, just that the money the players want doesn't match up with what teams are willing to pay.

Blitz Dorsey
02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Actually, as Oswalt shows, the market for borderline good/question marks starters is soft. Not that there aren't teams that would have them, just that the money the players want doesn't match up with what teams are willing to pay.

Comparing Oswalt and Penny? Really? I understand your point, but Oswalt's had a good career while Penny has been mediocre-at-best.

RedlegJake
02-10-2012, 01:18 PM
Its a yeah-butt type of thing - Yeah butt if Oswalt sees a soft market then Brad Penney just packs up and goes to Japan...