PDA

View Full Version : if votto was not a red .... what ?

ol'Sparky
02-09-2012, 11:08 PM
would be our options ?

who would be the new dan dreissan ? ...

what are the minor league options ?

who is the next yonder alonso ?

RedsFan_26
02-09-2012, 11:31 PM
Neftali Soto

Jefferson24
02-10-2012, 01:17 AM
I would see how Francisco could do at 1st, not sure Soto is ready yet. After next year move Francisco to 3rd and then bring Soto to 1st.

In a scenario where Votto is gone now, I'm not sure the Reds are properly prepared for a situation like that and it could equal a lot less wins.

Alpha Zero
02-10-2012, 09:10 AM
I really hope the Reds can sign Votto to something like a 7 year, $150MM contract extension. That's pretty close to what Adrian Gonzalez got from Boston, and I think it's reasonable for both sides. If the Reds can't make that happen, they may be in trouble at 1B for a few years after Votto leaves. I don't trust Soto or Francisco to man first base since both guys have serious plate discipline issues. I don't see anyone currently in the system with the potential to fill Votto's enormous shoes.

texasdave
02-10-2012, 09:43 AM
This would have been another boring off-season and the Reds would not be going all in. Thank you, Joey.

AllThingsReds
02-10-2012, 09:55 AM
I would rely on Soto to take over at first base. I would say he is the replacement if needed. But in the long run I think Votto will stay a Red.

FWIW I have a twitter account all about the Reds. Its called AllThingsReds please follow me. Thanks.

zacharync
02-10-2012, 01:13 PM
But in the long run I think Votto will stay a Red.

What could possibly make you think that?

will5979
02-10-2012, 01:28 PM
What could possibly make you think that?

Why not?

brad1176
02-10-2012, 01:52 PM
The argument for Votto staying a Red: The FO is intent on resigning Votto and have put together the best possible team around him in order to win. They appear to be willing to sacrifice BP in order to resign him.

The argument for Votto inevitably leaving: He's just going to cost too much money, no way the Reds can sign Votto and put a winning team on the field.

I hope Bob and Walt make the right decisions on this one, the fate of the franchise for the next several years will be at stake.

Redsnake
02-10-2012, 02:27 PM
I would think the Reds would have signed a Carlos Pena or Derrick Lee. Just until Soto arrives in 2013 - 2014 with a promising AAA resume.
However, if Soto struggled than god help us.

alett12
02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I think they would have gone after Kasey Kotchman or kept Yonder. Now that Yonder is gone how ever and Kotchman is off the market i would see them maybe trying to slide Rolen, or Fransisco to 1B, or put frazier there untill Neftali Soto was ready. Free agent wise i could see them going after a guy who could come in for a couple years or something like that.

texasdave
02-10-2012, 02:35 PM
If Votto was not a Red they would have never traded Yonder Alonso.

alett12
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
If Votto was not a Red they would have never traded Yonder Alonso.

Very very true.

zacharync
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Why not?

For one, he wants to play for Toronto.

I am all for signing Votto as much as the next guy or gal but the fact remains that the variables to that happening are not encouraging.

brad1176
02-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I think they've decided to sacrifice BP and sign Votto, or at least try to. If they take BP's salary off and give some of it to Votto, then they have the money for the big contract and still stay in their budget.

brad1176
02-10-2012, 02:58 PM
For one, he wants to play for Toronto.

I am all for signing Votto as much as the next guy or gal but the fact remains that the variables to that happening are not encouraging.

Has he ever said that he wants to play for Toronto?

[deleted]
02-10-2012, 03:38 PM
I think the 'Votto-wants-to-play-in-Toronto' thing is all fan assumption.

...I also think it's a totally fair and accurate fan assumption.

If Votto went down with a freak injury right now, we'd probably see Frazier or maybe Francisco slide in. I wouldn't be surprised if we sprang for Derrek Lee.

...I'm also shocked Derrek Lee hasn't been signed yet.

texasdave
02-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Just one man's opinion, but if Joey Votto had his heart set on staying in Cincinnati a contract extension would have been worked out by now. Certainly, management has given every indication that they would like to extend him. So if a player wanted to stay somewhere and management wants him to stay, wouldn't it be in the player's best interest to work out a deal rather than waiting two years and risking injury?

alett12
02-10-2012, 04:11 PM
Very true, if Votto wanted to be here long term he wouldn't make it so hard.

Big Red Hoss
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
They signed him through arbitration. That was step one. The off season focuses on the up coming season. Once that is all done they can look at an extension. No one is going to rush into anything.

alett12
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I would much rather not have to worry about it next season though and i wish they could get something done.

izzy's dad
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
My guess is that if a Votto extension happens it will be after this season when Brandon Phillips' contract is off the books. I know Brandon is a fan favorite, as well as one of my personal favorite Reds, but the truth is that his production is much easier to replace than Joey's. If it doesn't happen, we benefit from a return via trade or multiple draft picks via free agency. If Joey isn't a Red we have Neftali Soto, if Brandon isn't a Red we have Henry Rodriguez, not to mention multiple first round draft picks/quality prospects to replace some of their production.

texasdave
02-11-2012, 01:18 AM
My guess is that if a Votto extension happens it will be after this season when Brandon Phillips' contract is off the books. I know Brandon is a fan favorite, as well as one of my personal favorite Reds, but the truth is that his production is much easier to replace than Joey's. If it doesn't happen, we benefit from a return via trade or multiple draft picks via free agency. If Joey isn't a Red we have Neftali Soto, if Brandon isn't a Red we have Henry Rodriguez, not to mention multiple first round draft picks/quality prospects to replace some of their production.

Not sure why they would have to wait. Any salary for Votto won't kick in until 2014.