PDA

View Full Version : We All Have Something In Common..

RedLegSuperStar
02-10-2012, 12:12 AM
We all love the Reds! We love them with a passion. We wouldn't of joined this forum if we didn't. So why do we have to pick and prod at individuals? Individuals who have a point of view just like you and me! Some people type differently and shouldn't be pin point for trying to express a creative side to them. Trust me folks it doesn't make your eyes bleed. Old Red Guard used to be frequented with at least 75-90 people constantly an im sure it will get near that come mid spring. But, it used to be fun here.. Getting Reds Hot Stove reports from Chip. BCubbs rants. Krusty's Trades. OnBaseMachines brilliance. DougDirts amazing minor league coverage.. Kid is really special. Lately it's become an all out diva-esc affair with people clamming over my stat tops your view or my knowledge and winning percentage trumps your saber metrics. Who cares. Why does everything have to be a debate? Most of the constant posters here have an advantage with the moderators here. I don't know if the mods are afraid to get pick on or what but the mods in return allow some of those gifted posters an easy way out and look the other way. You know it's true.. Don't send your PM's.

Instead let's get back to baseball! For some of you die hard fans who realize Spring Training starts next week and are über excited for the upcoming year like myself. I think if the moderators want to pull a Walt Jocketty of 2010-2011 and just sit on their hands and continue to let this banter continue then they won't have a firm grasp on the site. But if the turn in to this offseasons Walt Jocketty and prove to the followers they want to bring Championship caliber forum reading and atmosphere back to threads they'll stand up and take initiative. Make this site about baseball again and end all the little petty stuff that goes on here.

Captain Hook
02-10-2012, 02:09 AM
What do you expect?It's been over four months since the Reds have played a game and everyone's a bit cranky.

reds44
02-10-2012, 02:45 AM
It's a message board. The only reasons these things exist is because of debate.

AtomicDumpling
02-10-2012, 06:07 AM
We all love the Reds! We love them with a passion. We wouldn't of joined this forum if we didn't. So why do we have to pick and prod at individuals? Individuals who have a point of view just like you and me! Some people type differently and shouldn't be pin point for trying to express a creative side to them. Trust me folks it doesn't make your eyes bleed. Old Red Guard used to be frequented with at least 75-90 people constantly an im sure it will get near that come mid spring. But, it used to be fun here.. Getting Reds Hot Stove reports from Chip. BCubbs rants. Krusty's Trades. OnBaseMachines brilliance. DougDirts amazing minor league coverage.. Kid is really special. Lately it's become an all out diva-esc affair with people clamming over my stat tops your view or my knowledge and winning percentage trumps your saber metrics. Who cares. Why does everything have to be a debate? Most of the constant posters here have an advantage with the moderators here. I don't know if the mods are afraid to get pick on or what but the mods in return allow some of those gifted posters an easy way out and look the other way. You know it's true.. Don't send your PM's.

Instead let's get back to baseball! For some of you die hard fans who realize Spring Training starts next week and are über excited for the upcoming year like myself. I think if the moderators want to pull a Walt Jocketty of 2010-2011 and just sit on their hands and continue to let this banter continue then they won't have a firm grasp on the site. But if the turn in to this offseasons Walt Jocketty and prove to the followers they want to bring Championship caliber forum reading and atmosphere back to threads they'll stand up and take initiative. Make this site about baseball again and end all the little petty stuff that goes on here.

Well said RedLegSuperStar,

I agree that the incidents of rudeness and disrespect on the Old Red Guard have skyrocketed, and much of it comes from the most frequent posters. I think our standards of conduct have slipped quite a bit. We are definitely not living up to the example the namesake of this forum set for us.

Definitely too much arguing and too little discussion these days. Express your opinion without ramming it down someone's throat. Read other peoples' opinions with the intent of learning something instead of searching for something to disagree with. If you disagree with someone refrain from quoting their post and tearing it to shreds.

I have been handled roughly a couple times in recent threads and rather than stay and fight I just abandoned the discussion. I don't like to argue. I know I am not alone and I imagine that is why many former All Star Redszoners stopped posting here.

Personally I feel the Politics forum has ramped up the levels of intolerance and disrespect on Redszone. That place is vile and it has spilled over into the main forum. I made the mistake of going there once and won't go back.

I am not sure what can be done to fix the problem. Perhaps a few temporary demotions to the Sun Deck? Perhaps a few posts publicly highlighted as examples of what is not acceptable?

Maybe a Redszone group project of some sort would make us all feel like a community again. We could form groups to write a series of articles and have them published in a book like The Hardball Times does. Maybe some contests for the best original content. Maybe some awards for exemplary writing.

How about a group outing at a Reds game with a meet-and-greet in the Funzone before the game? Anything that fosters a friendly rather than adversarial atmosphere on Redszone would be good.

Once we get our mojo back it might be nice to contact some of the great former members that don't come here any more and invite them to return.

RedlegJake
02-10-2012, 06:16 AM
Ehhh....I don;t get upset about it. I just remember everyone is passionate and sometimes I'm probably a real dumbutt and have irritated someone or made a stupid remark so I got an earful back. I post here BECAUSE people are passionate about the Reds and BECAUSE there are people who know much more than I do about the history of the team, about Stats and analysis, about scouting, about actually playing the game etc. In other words, I learn - and I enjoy. After a couple of heart attacks and a string of surgeries to keep this old ticker running - life is just too short to get offended - I enjoy every post and every day - each one is a gift!

AtomicDumpling
02-10-2012, 06:41 AM
Ehhh....I don;t get upset about it. I just remember everyone is passionate and sometimes I'm probably a real dumbutt and have irritated someone or made a stupid remark so I got an earful back. I post here BECAUSE people are passionate about the Reds and BECAUSE there are people who know much more than I do about the history of the team, about Stats and analysis, about scouting, about actually playing the game etc. In other words, I learn - and I enjoy. After a couple of heart attacks and a string of surgeries to keep this old ticker running - life is just too short to get offended - I enjoy every post and every day - each one is a gift!

If everyone had your attitude there would be a lot less arguing. Passion is good, vitriol is bad. Keep that ticker ticking! :thumbup:

The Voice of IH
02-10-2012, 09:30 AM
If you take some people's opinions, it seems like they are more interested in wrecking the franchise. With fans like those who needs the Cardinals?

CarolinaRedleg
02-10-2012, 09:38 AM
http://swiftor.com/attachments/f54/10118d1328590894t-swiftors-awesome-132674302118.gif

PuffyPig
02-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya,
Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya,
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s sleeping Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.

camisadelgolf
02-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Kumbaya, my Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s singing, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya,
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s praying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s crying, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s sleeping Lord, Kumbaya,
someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya.
Someone`s sleeping, Lord, Kumbaya, oh, Lord, Kumbaya.
reported for religious discussion

camisadelgolf
02-10-2012, 10:08 AM
As far as I'm concerned, it's inevitable that people will be inappropriate with each other. Granted, I have higher expectations for RZ, but even when we're at our 'worst', I feel like it's better than I would expect on almost any other message board. Also, I'm really good at not caring about what people are saying since it has no effect on me. The only thing that can annoy me on a message board is people repeating themselves.

As far as I'm concerned, it's inevitable that people will be inappropriate with each other. Granted, I have higher expectations for RZ, but even when we're at our 'worst', I feel like it's better than I would expect on almost any other message board. Also, I'm really good at not caring about what people are saying since it has no effect on me. The only thing that can annoy me on a message board is people repeating themselves.

Johnny Footstool
02-10-2012, 10:34 AM
Take a peek at the ESPN message boards, and you'll realize how civil we are.

cinreds21
02-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Personally I hate everyone on here.

/notseriousatall

dfs
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Take a peek at the ESPN message boards, and you'll realize how civil we are.

We are still civil when compared with other sports message boards.

That has nothing to do with the very real drop in de facto standard of conduct.

MikeThierry
02-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Personally I feel the Politics forum has ramped up the levels of intolerance and disrespect on Redszone. That place is vile and it has spilled over into the main forum. I made the mistake of going there once and won't go back.

I think you might have a point here. Taking a look at that part of the "discussion board" makes one's head explode. I can't help but think that some of the anger in that part of the forum spills onto the main part of the forum here, as you pointed out. I have strong political opinions but that place has become ridiculous.

I would also like to add that this is one of the more cordial forums I have ever been to. While I think we all could do better in being nice to the next guy, including myself, it's not as bad as I have seen at other places. Even though I'm not a Reds fan (respect the organization though), this is my favorite baseball forum. I absolutely cannot stand the vile nature of most Cardinals forums, for example. It's ironic that I feel more at home here than I do on my own team's forums. Maybe some ground rules do need to be set up or the rules that are in place need to be enforced a bit more. That said, it is still a better forum than 99% of the forums I have been to.

Roy Tucker
02-10-2012, 11:42 AM
Hey, it could be worse. We could be Cubs fans.

dougdirt
02-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I like the board. I think sometimes people get their feelings hurt a little too easy though and make a big deal about something that shouldn't be.

Johnny Footstool
02-10-2012, 12:02 PM
We are still civil when compared with other sports message boards.

That has nothing to do with the very real drop in de facto standard of conduct.

It comes and goes.

LoganBuck
02-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Every year at this time it gets like this, then the the spring training picture thread starts and actual baseball discussion begins.

To the original poster, that style of typing was the essence of rudeness. It said "I do what I want, and don't care what inconvenience I bestow on others."

Sea Ray
02-10-2012, 12:10 PM
When someone says "my stats are better than your stats" is when ORG does get a bit nauseating but I'll also add that the worst offenders of this practice are no longer around so it has gotten better.

The points on the political forum are well taken.

You know what I think would be cool? I'd like it if there were no names attached to our posts. I am of the opinion that certain folks check the name of the poster and then before even reading the post, decide whether they'll climb all over it or be a cheerleader. Both approaches are sophomoric. Anonymous posting would take care of that.

Cedric
02-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Things used to be completely different in a bad way here. This board is full of incredibly passionate, smart people who all in all act respectfully, IMO. I'm actually kind of surprised people are so touchy and defensive. I don't think that is very conducive to learning and growing as a fan.

Vottomatic
02-10-2012, 05:33 PM
So.......

When we all meeting for a big group hug? :D

RichRed
02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
So.......

When we all meeting for a big group hug? :D

I'll be at the bar.

Joseph
02-10-2012, 06:13 PM
The political forum has detracted a bit. There are those who can handle it and those who can't. I'm honestly not sure which category I fall into. Most of the time I don't bother with it, but from time to time I do slink in there for a read. I often find myself disgusted with some folks I had a lot of baseball respect towards initially and its not because they have a different political view than I do, its that they react as though anyone who differs from them is either stupid or hates the country.

Debate is great, but I don't see a lot of debate anything anymore, just mudslinging similar to what our politicians do.

jojo
02-10-2012, 07:56 PM
The political forum has detracted a bit. There are those who can handle it and those who can't. I'm honestly not sure which category I fall into. Most of the time I don't bother with it, but from time to time I do slink in there for a read. I often find myself disgusted with some folks I had a lot of baseball respect towards initially and its not because they have a different political view than I do, its that they react as though anyone who differs from them is either stupid or hates the country.

Debate is great, but I don't see a lot of debate anything anymore, just mudslinging similar to what our politicians do.

The political forum is an abomination. It sucks the soul of this board toward the dark side.

BCubb2003
02-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Can you give us some context here? Without anything else this post really seems to come out of left field

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

westofyou
02-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Papa never talked business at the dinner table

_Sir_Charles_
02-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Can you give us some context here? Without anything else this post really seems to come out of left field

Really? Godfather quote. As are the others following.

Although, I must admit...this is making me want to watch the Godfather again. It's been about 5 years or so.

savafan
02-10-2012, 10:23 PM
The political forum is an abomination. It sucks the soul of this board toward the dark side.

Personally though, I feel that we were seeing a lot of this happening even before the new political forum.

westofyou
02-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Although, I must admit...this is making me want to watch the Godfather again. It's been about 5 years or so.
"Never tell anybody outside the family what you're thinking again."

Eric_the_Red
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
I love the Godfather movie and all, but can we please get an edit on the first quote (and the quotes of said quote)? It has a humdinger of a curse in it for those of us of the Christian faith.

Yeah, I know, I'm a stick in the mud. But at least I'm a public stick in the mud. ;)

Scrap Irony
02-10-2012, 11:31 PM
There's at least one of these posts each year I've been here.

Heck, I think I started a couple myself.

As to the new-found difficulty in getting along with others, that's really nothing new.

savafan
02-10-2012, 11:46 PM
As to the new-found difficulty in getting along with others, that's really nothing new.

No, and it's not exclusive to Redszone either. You see it in politics, in schools, in business, in churches... I've seen it in just about every aspect of my life. It's a human condition.

And for the record, I never really got highly offended by some of what went on in the Oswalt thread. A lot of it did make me shake my head and laugh, but never really got offended. Some of the people I love the most in this world are the ones I also butt heads with the most. I call them mom and dad.

Scrap Irony
02-10-2012, 11:53 PM
I think you're forgetting the massive arguments (and egos) of past posters here on Redszone. If you didn't explain your numbers around M2 or Steel, you were torn apart.

FCB lived to be recalcitrant.

Heck, guernsey left the site, at least in part because of the aggressive nature of those posters.

That was 10 years ago.

Boss-Hog
02-11-2012, 10:28 AM
I think you're forgetting the massive arguments (and egos) of past posters here on Redszone. If you didn't explain your numbers around M2 or Steel, you were torn apart.

Heck, guernsey left the site, at least in part because of the aggressive nature of those posters.

That was 10 years ago.
Good points...

RedsManRick
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM
When someone says "my stats are better than your stats" is when ORG does get a bit nauseating but I'll also add that the worst offenders of this practice are no longer around so it has gotten better.

The points on the political forum are well taken.

You know what I think would be cool? I'd like it if there were no names attached to our posts. I am of the opinion that certain folks check the name of the poster and then before even reading the post, decide whether they'll climb all over it or be a cheerleader. Both approaches are sophomoric. Anonymous posting would take care of that.

As someone who is clearly guilty of "my stats are better than your stats" (justifiably I would argue -- not all stats are created equal -- but then again, of course I would), I think it would be awesome to have anonymous posting (to all but the mods, of course).

Sea Ray
02-11-2012, 10:40 AM
Really? Godfather quote. As are the others following.

Never seen any of the Godfather movies

Sea Ray
02-11-2012, 10:45 AM

That's the thing; if you did explain your points with stats they'd tell you how worthless your stats are. I'm sure they're still defending Adam Dunn's Hall of Fame career in some alternate universe.

The bottomline is things have gotten better

cincrazy
02-11-2012, 11:48 AM

That was 10 years ago.

You made my point for me. Things aren't perfect here, but it's a LOT better than it used to be. When I first started here in 2005 I feel that I couldn't even post without getting ridiculed (a lot of the time by the above posters, with all due respect to those gentlemen, wherever they may be).

I've been to quite a few different sites. This is by far the most civil board out of all of them, and it really is like a little online family of sorts. I enjoy reading all of you, even those of you I don't agree with at times. The petty arguing is more like brothers that get sick of each other as opposed to being anything too awful, IMO anyways.

wally post
02-11-2012, 12:01 PM
I don't post much here -perhaps because I talk so much elsewhere in my life, but I LOVE coming here everyday. It is as important as that first cup of coffee each day. In that sense, you guys are close friends of mine and that is one of the best parts of the internet.
It is particularly cool to see Mr. Thierry fit in well and contribute here in spite of obvious differences. The problem with some folks is when a young (sorry for the weak analogy, dog lovers,) pit bull begins to attack another pit bull. Bottom line is - our mods are awesome!

wally post
02-11-2012, 12:03 PM

isn't that like never having seen the 75 world series?:laugh:

Sea Ray
02-11-2012, 12:23 PM

Perhaps. Admittedly I'm a pretty boring guy in that I rarely watch fiction. I lose the movie and TV part of Trivial Pursuit regularly...:D

George Anderson
02-11-2012, 12:54 PM

I would rather admit I sit down to pee than declare I haven't watched "The Godfather" or the 75' Series. ;)

MikeThierry
02-11-2012, 12:59 PM

I think John McEnroe explains it best:

You Can Not Be Serious! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KIzbktgJk)

I would make a recommendation to the mods that it must be a requirement to have watched at least one of the Godfathers before entrance is gained into The Old Red Guard. :lol:

George Anderson
02-11-2012, 01:09 PM
I would make a recommendation to the mods that it must be a requirement to have watched at least one of the Godfathers before entrance is gained into The Old Red Guard. :lol:

I second that.

savafan
02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
I think John McEnroe explains it best:

You Can Not Be Serious! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_KIzbktgJk)

Let's not be so hasty. One of the FIRST TWO Godfather movies. Nothing with Sofia Coppola or Andy Garcia please.

MikeThierry
02-11-2012, 01:18 PM
Let's not be so hasty. One of the FIRST TWO Godfather movies. Nothing with Sofia Coppola or Andy Garcia please.

Agreed. Lets also make an amendment to act as if the 3rd Godfather movie never happened. Sofia Coppola who?

Roy Tucker
02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_v0neUj-VDa4/S_lBG54P6hI/AAAAAAAAE7A/iJBm40RCcro/s1600/seriesfinale-themarytylermooreshow-thelastshow.jpg

WebScorpion
02-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Well, it's that time of year again. The Super Bowl is over and most of the serious MLB winter trading is complete. We're counting the days until pitchers and catchers report and we're so anxious we bicker with anyone who'll stay engaged just for something to do. It's part of the yearly sports cycle...just relax and try not to give in to the urge to bite each other's heads off. :dunno:

SteelSD
02-12-2012, 03:27 AM

You rang?

westofyou
02-12-2012, 07:38 AM
You rang?

Zing...!

sonny
02-12-2012, 07:47 PM
yaY civilitY

Always Red
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Sonny: What the hell is this?

You rang?

Clemenza: It's a Sicilian message. It means Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.

Raisor
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
You rang?

Dude!

Ghosts of 1990
02-12-2012, 10:59 PM

Amen dude. Great post.

Ron Madden
02-13-2012, 02:38 AM
I miss Steel and Raisor...

Raisor
02-13-2012, 08:30 PM
I miss Steel and Raisor...

so do I.

Especially Raisor

RANDY IN INDY
02-13-2012, 09:41 PM
so do I.

Especially Raisor

:laugh:

Scrap Irony
02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
You rang?

I did.

Your opinions on the Reds (and defense of said positions) is needed, sir.

Pick up the red courtesy phone and reply.

TRF
02-14-2012, 12:46 PM
You rang?

wow, it's like opening the shower door and Bobby Ewing is standing there.

to quote Raisor... Dude!

TRF
02-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Raisor was a good poster. He's missed.

I sometimes sit on my deck and wax poetic about RC/27.

PuffyPig
02-14-2012, 01:12 PM
wow, it's like opening the shower door and Bobby Ewing is standing there.

You may want to lock the bathroom when you take a shower....

George Anderson
02-14-2012, 01:24 PM
You may want to lock the bathroom when you take a shower....

Pam walked in on Bobby.

Pam can walk in on me anytime if I am in the shower. :beerme:

MikeThierry
02-14-2012, 01:49 PM
Well... this thread has turned into a disturbing discussion, on so many levels. :laugh:

cincyinco
02-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Why is everyone so sensitive? Civility is good, but so is dissent. Folks should stop being so sensitive about words on a message board from an amalgamation of personalities.

Dudes, I miss the old days. And I'm not even talking about the origins of redszone. I haven't been here long enough to know what those were like. Its not that I dislike redszone of today, but I miss all those massive egos previously mentioned. Even if I didn't agree with them. Even if they pissed me off from time to time. Bring back Steele, bring back FCB, bring back M2, bring em all back.

mth123
02-15-2012, 05:01 AM
Why is everyone so sensitive? Civility is good, but so is dissent. Folks should stop being so sensitive about words on a message board from an amalgamation of personalities.

Dudes, I miss the old days. And I'm not even talking about the origins of redszone. I haven't been here long enough to know what those were like. Its not that I dislike redszone of today, but I miss all those massive egos previously mentioned. Even if I didn't agree with them. Even if they pissed me off from time to time. Bring back Steele, bring back FCB, bring back M2, bring em all back.

:thumbup:

camisadelgolf
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
The public's lack of self esteem + man's desire to impress others = over-personalizing comments. And that's not to mention our society, which promotes the thought that the world revolves around each one of us.

marcshoe
02-16-2012, 12:21 AM
The public's lack of self esteem + man's desire to impress others = over-personalizing comments. And that's not to mention our society, which promotes the thought that the world revolves around each one of us.

Yeah, and I have proof that the world revolves around me. I have never been anywhere that I didn't find myself in the center of my surroundings. Not only that, but everything I perceive seems to be filtered through my own mind.

If that isn't proof that I'm the center of the universe, then none is possible.

IslandRed
02-16-2012, 02:06 AM

Speaking only for myself, I love a good rollicking discussion, and furthermore, the word "rollicking" isn't used nearly enough nowadays. But we're talking baseball here. Specifically, how people besides ourselves are playing baseball. I have no problem with people having opinions, even strong opinions, but for the life of me I don't see why anyone ever needs to be a jerk about it. I don't hang out with jerks in real life and I don't care much for it online either. This is supposed to be fun, after all.

But I've been here 10+ years and I have an empty ignore list, so obviously I don't consider incivility a huge problem on RedsZone and especially the ORG.

AtomicDumpling
02-16-2012, 04:16 AM

Since the universe extends away from me equally in every direction to infinity, technically I am at the center of the universe -- which I think is appropriate. Since the rest of you are so close to the center of the universe (me) then I suppose you guys matter a little bit too. :thumbup:

camisadelgolf
02-16-2012, 08:17 AM
You're all geocentric egocentrics. I'm going to take this opportunity to post a video by one of my favorite bands because this is as close to relevant as it's going to get.
Built to Spill - Center Of The Universe - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNm0QH6H9A)

Roy Tucker
02-16-2012, 12:37 PM
Speaking only for myself, I love a good rollicking discussion, and furthermore, the word "rollicking" isn't used nearly enough nowadays. But we're talking baseball here. Specifically, how people besides ourselves are playing baseball. I have no problem with people having opinions, even strong opinions, but for the life of me I don't see why anyone ever needs to be a jerk about it. I don't hang out with jerks in real life and I don't care much for it online either. This is supposed to be fun, after all.

But I've been here 10+ years and I have an empty ignore list, so obviously I don't consider incivility a huge problem on RedsZone and especially the ORG.

Well said. My feelings as well.

Civility is a good soft skill to have. In an argument, leave room for people to save face and have an "out". Make your point, plant a seed, and move on. Pinning people down and painfully strangling them to extract a concession doesn't win you any friends and will get you a lot of enemies and ill will.

sonny
02-16-2012, 12:49 PM
You're all geocentric egocentrics. I'm going to take this opportunity to post a video by one of my favorite bands because this is as close to relevant as it's going to get.
Built to Spill - Center Of The Universe - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTNm0QH6H9A)

Love that song! One of my favorite
Bands as well.

I am not a stats guy, I just love the reds and a good laugh with my baseball. That's why I came to this board. We can have difference of opinions, but let's agree to disagree more often than not.

Bob Borkowski
02-16-2012, 01:25 PM
Well said. My feelings as well.

Civility is a good soft skill to have. In an argument, leave room for people to save face and have an "out". Make your point, plant a seed, and move on. Pinning people down and painfully strangling them to extract a concession doesn't win you any friends and will get you a lot of enemies and ill will.

Just like in real life. :)

RichRed
02-16-2012, 01:53 PM

Right on, IslandRed.

Sea Ray
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
I don't have problems with anyone who's willing to debate and present their opinion no matter what it is. What I have a hard time with is when folks don't want to do either. Sometimes folks around here make posts that are intended to do nothing except put down a fellow Redsfan. I'm a guy who deals not in generalities but specifics and here is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2535090&postcount=155

This person was not an active participant in this particular thread and certainly had not contributed anything to the subject at hand. He was not engaged in an argument with any other poster at this time. He wasn't trying to convey his opinion or add any facts to the table. His post came out of nowhereand was done solely to demean another poster. When that poster politely asked for clarification and pursue an adult discussion, this guy again disappeared. He came, dropped his bomb and went

I call that sniper posting and is uncalled for

I want to make it clear that I don't think such a post is worthy of sanctions from MODs or is even against any guidelines. I do think such behavior makes people reluctant to join in sometimes.

Sea Ray
02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Double post

jojo
02-16-2012, 06:35 PM
I don't have problems with anyone who's willing to debate and present their opinion no matter what it is. What I have a hard time with is when folks don't want to do either. Sometimes folks around here make posts that are intended to do nothing except put down a fellow Redsfan. I'm a guy who deals not in generalities but specifics and here is an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2535090&postcount=155

This person was not an active participant in this particular thread and certainly had not contributed anything to the subject at hand. He was not engaged in an argument with any other poster at this time. He wasn't trying to convey his opinion or add any facts to the table. His post came out of nowhereand was done solely to demean another poster. When that poster politely asked for clarification and pursue an adult discussion, this guy again disappeared. He came, dropped his bomb and went

I call that sniper posting and is uncalled for

I want to make it clear that I don't think such a post is worthy of sanctions from MODs or is even against any guidelines. I do think such behavior makes people reluctant to join in sometimes.

Couldn't this exact point have been made without specifically calling a person out?

westofyou
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Couldn't this exact point have been made without specifically calling a person out?

Could you call it sniper posting?

Could you say it was totally uncalled for?