PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Lin

Ohayou
02-10-2012, 06:09 PM
You buying him?

I don't think he'll get quite as much attention as Tebow did but he's been playing well. We'll see what happens when scouting reports get out on this guy and teams start gearing their defenses toward him. One thing in his favor is that he's smart and especially when Amar'e and Carmelo come back he'll be able to pick and choose his spots and become more of a distributor.

A second thing in his favor is that, while D'Antoni has lots of problems as a head coach, he does get guys going on offense pretty well. He's also apparently a pretty good defender.

Revering4Blue
02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
And now Lin is The Next Big Thing — the NBA’s (forgive me) version of Tebowmania, although as someone commented on Twitter earlier this week: @BrianPickett: Comparing Jeremy Lin to Tim Tebow is really insulting to Lin’s passing ability.

http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/2012/02/09/ricks-cafe-early-signs-of-linsanity-jeremy-lin-was-something-special-from-the-very-start/related/

Stray
02-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Best story in the NBA this year. This guy came outta nowhere, and obviously being in NY this story is even bigger. He's really good...I dunno if his jumper will be there every night, but he looks like he knows what he's doing. And we all know a D'Antoni offense can be amazing with a good PG.

Eric in IL
02-11-2012, 05:34 AM
I saw Lin score 28 points for Erie in the D-League in a game shown on NBA TV a few weeks ago. I am a huge college basketball fan and pride myself in knowing just about player's alma mater, but I had no idea who Lin was. I thought maybe he came from Europe, but played his college hoops at Harvard. I do know this, Lin is strong with the ball and obviously has an above-average jumper.
I'm really happy for this young man. He has preservered and made the most of his opportunity. It's a story a lot of people can really get behind. Hope he can stick in the NBA for many years.

jredmo2
02-11-2012, 08:05 AM
The Tebow comparison worked for me until last night. The dude is legit. Granted, it's no shock that Derek Fisher was completely out of his element, but they did NOT expect Lin to hit those pull-up shots. He's a legit PG; he'll be nasty with Amare. I mean, Amare's game is pick and roll, that's how he built his career.

D'Antoni is either a pure genius, or he just lucked into another Steve Nash. So far.

Sea Ray
02-11-2012, 10:03 AM
I think one big difference between the two is their college career. Tebow played major college football and was the best player if you go by his Heisman Trophy. Lin is more like Ryan Fitzpatrick than Tim Tebow

bigredmechanism
02-11-2012, 10:47 AM
This kid was incredibly good last night. It's tough not to root for him.

Joseph
02-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Everyone seems to be talking about him, so he must be doing something right.

KoryMac5
02-11-2012, 01:55 PM
He played for Dallas in the summer league when he graduated Harvard. He went head to head with Wall in a game and held his own really well. Looks like he is pretty similiar to Nash in that he understands the system Coach D'antoni runs. He is definitely fun to watch but we will see how he does when Melo gets back and needs the ball all the time.

dabvu2498
02-11-2012, 03:21 PM
He played for Dallas in the summer league when he graduated Harvard. He went head to head with Wall in a game and held his own really well. Looks like he is pretty similiar to Nash in that he understands the system Coach D'antoni runs. He is definitely fun to watch but we will see how he does when Melo gets back and needs the ball all the time.

That's sort of the thing... Until last night he hadn't taken a bunch of shots.

zacharync
02-11-2012, 04:51 PM

I couldn't agree more. IMO, Melo is one of the most overrated players of this generation. It will be interesting to see if Melo can restrain himself from putting up 25 shots a night.

zacharync
02-11-2012, 04:57 PM

I couldn't agree more. IMO, Melo is one of the most overrated players of this generation. It will be interesting to see if Melo can restrain himself from putting up 25 shots a night.

Revering4Blue
02-11-2012, 08:31 PM

Melo was actually leading the team in assists per game, so I wouldn't be concerned about him meshing with Lin. That stated, we can certainly question the mega-deal which brought C.A to NY last year...The Knicks payed through the teeth for him. Then again, if Raymond Felton hadn't been dealt in the aforementioned deal, the Lin story never materializes in New York.

IMHO, it's nice to see the Knicks relevant again if they can keep it up--this stated by a Pacers fan.

Revering4Blue
02-11-2012, 10:36 PM
20 points and 8 assists for Lin in tonights victory over Kevin Love, Ricky Rubio and the Timberwolves, who are no longer a pushover. Steve Novak's timely 3-point shooting should not go unnoticed during this winning streak, as well.

Mutaman
02-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Steve Novak's timely 3-point shooting should not go unnoticed during this winning streak, as well.

Ring out Ahoya!

texasdave
02-12-2012, 12:18 AM
20 points on 8-24 shooting. 8 assists and 6 turnovers.

NJReds
02-12-2012, 10:36 AM
As a Knicks fan, Lin has brought this dying season back to life. The hype is a little odd. On last night's broadcast they said that the attendance in Minnesota was the fourth largest ever in that building for a TWolves game.

A few things of note:

- It was reported that Melo urged D'Antoni to give Lin some playing time. Melo was actually serving as a d-facto 'point-forward.'

- Lin will not last long if he keeps playing 38 minutes a night. He was gassed in the second half last night, shooting 1-9 in the second half after going 7-12 in the first half. Not surprising as a road game the night after a very tough battle against the Lakers. Teams have taken to "roughing him up" a bit on fouls to get him off his game.

- I'm not surprised to see a kid who the scouts missed develop into a decent player. Look at past drafts to see how many "can't miss" players actually do miss. It stands to reason that there are players that scouts ignore that probably can play. Lin is just lucky to have received an opportunity, and then make the most of it.

- The Knicks 5-game win streak is also due to a commitment to defense. Lin, Fields, Shumpert, Jeffries and Chandler are the Knicks best defensive players. When Amare and Melo come back, it will help the Knicks offense, but weaken their defense.

All in all, it's exciting to see D'Antoni's system work with a real point guard. It will be interesting to see Lin work with Amare (should bring STAT back to life with a guy who can run the pick and roll) and Melo (in theory, this should work because he'll get some open looks). Lin won't have to chuck 20 shots a night up and could settle into a 12-15 point - 8 assist guy.

Stray
02-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Agree with the post above, with the condensed season I don't think he has the conditioning to be playing almost 40 minutes a night with a lot of 3 games in 3 nights, or 4 in 5 or whatever.

I don't follow the Knicks closely or anything, but it would appear that Lin and Amare are a match made in heaven. His most productive years were with Steve Nash in D'Antoni's offense. Now I'm not so sure how Melo will mesh without having the ball as much, but that appears to be more of an issue for Melo to have to deal with, not the team. They're winning this way so he's gonna have to adapt.

Razor Shines
02-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Melo was actually leading the team in assists per game, so I wouldn't be concerned about him meshing with Lin. That stated, we can certainly question the mega-deal which brought C.A to NY last year...The Knicks payed through the teeth for him. Then again, if Raymond Felton hadn't been dealt in the aforementioned deal, the Lin story never materializes in New York.

IMHO, it's nice to see the Knicks relevant again if they can keep it up--this stated by a Pacers fan.

It's not the number of shots or assists from melo, it's that he dominates the ball, that wont work with Lin. But I hadn't heard that melo was pushing for Lin to play, perhaps melo doesn't want to handle the ball as much as he has. He can still get his 25 shots with Lin doing the ball handling. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

powersackers
02-13-2012, 02:13 AM
Love the story and the player! I wonder what baseball's equivilant of Linsanity would be?

Is it even possible for a baseball player to come out of nowhere, do something, and sell out stadiums in other cities?

Maybe Fernandomania is the closest baseball could come to this?

dougdirt
02-13-2012, 03:23 AM
Love the story and the player! I wonder what baseball's equivilant of Linsanity would be?

Is it even possible for a baseball player to come out of nowhere, do something, and sell out stadiums in other cities?

Dontrelle Willis had a big following his rookie year. Not sure if he was selling out other stadiums, but, I don't know how much easier it is to sell out 15,000 than 40,000 (prices come into play, an NBA ticket is more expensive than an MLB ticket).

bucksfan2
02-13-2012, 08:11 AM
I think one big difference between the two is their college career. Tebow played major college football and was the best player if you go by his Heisman Trophy. Lin is more like Ryan Fitzpatrick than Tim Tebow

Lin made SI during his time at Harvard. He was talked about as a very good player during his senior season at Harvard.

I will admit that I detest the NBA but have found my interest peaked by Lin. I may check in to SportsCenter too see how he did. Right now Lin is living the life, he is a sudden star in NY and just guaranteed him another couple of years in the NBA. And oh yea, he has a Harvard degree to fall back on.

NJReds
02-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Dontrelle Willis had a big following his rookie year. Not sure if he was selling out other stadiums, but, I don't know how much easier it is to sell out 15,000 than 40,000 (prices come into play, an NBA ticket is more expensive than an MLB ticket).

Social media plays a big role, too. Dontrelle didn't have that. Bryce Harper certainly will cause a big buzz, but his success is expected.

Chris Sabo, with his goggles and style of play, sort of burst on the scene with the Reds and was known nationally when he was a rookie. But baseball, with its minor league system, makes it much harder for an "unknown" to really be a big surprise. I guess you could say Fidrych and Joe Charboneau were two guys in the 70s that transcended their teams, and that was before ESPN.

texasdave
02-13-2012, 09:54 AM

IMO, baseball had something much bigger than Linsanity back in the 70s. And half the Linsanity pub is due to it being the New York market. Think 70s baseball for a minute. See if you can come up with it.

hebroncougar
02-13-2012, 05:23 PM
You guys are showing your youth. Mark Fidrych, may God rest his soul, was 10x bigger than the garbage going on in the NBA. Dude was something else.

Chip R
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Looks like he's doing quite well. However, if he played for the Indiana Pacers instead of the New York Knicks, there wouldn't be quite this amount of attention being paid to him.

dougdirt
02-13-2012, 10:57 PM
You guys are showing your youth. Mark Fidrych, may God rest his soul, was 10x bigger than the garbage going on in the NBA. Dude was something else.

You let me have my youth dang it! It is all I have going for me. :laugh:

hebroncougar
02-14-2012, 07:25 AM
You let me have my youth dang it! It is all I have going for me. :laugh:

Every now and then they show a game on ESPN classic or MLB network, it was a Saturday game of the week where he pitched against the Yanks. It's great stuff, talking to the baseball, etc.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Stray
02-14-2012, 09:46 PM
The Linsanity continues...

bigredmechanism
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
The Linsanity continues...

Unreal.

ervinsm84
02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/LINSANITY.gif
http://i.minus.com/iSweIaDaG3OfS.gif

Razor Shines
02-14-2012, 10:35 PM
This is getting to be somewhat ridiculous.

dabvu2498
02-14-2012, 10:47 PM
This is getting to be somewhat ridiculous.

With their schedule, 11 in a row is reasonable.

They have 5 straight at home now (SAC, NO, DAL, NJ, ATL) before going on the road to MIA.

Buckeye33
02-15-2012, 07:28 AM
With their schedule, 11 in a row is reasonable.

They have 5 straight at home now (SAC, NO, DAL, NJ, ATL) before going on the road to MIA.

Think that Miami game will be on national TV? :laugh:

ervinsm84
02-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Think that Miami game will be on national TV? :laugh:

It's scheduled to be on TNT, but I think its been that way since the scheduled opened bc they normally have TNT games on thursday and it was melo/amare/chandler vs lebron/bosh/wade.

They will be on ABC this sunday at 1pm vs the Mavs too.

Roy Tucker
02-15-2012, 08:02 AM
It will be interesting to see where he levels out at. I think he can be a good NBA player. The fact that he got cut by 2 teams and still persevered is a nice story. Chip is right though, if he were in Indiana or Sacremento, it wouldn't be near the headline news that it is. I think it was Brandon Jennings a few years back for the Milwaukee Bucks came into the NBA like a house-afire. The national press treated it as an interesting story, but it was page 4 kind of stuff or came on ESPN at 20 after the hour.

I think Lin is just on a roll now. I know when I played basketball, there were times when I got in the zone and got hot. Everything I put up went in, the hoop looked 6 feet wide, everyone slowed down, I saw everything, and the game was ridiculously easy. I got a little embarassed by it because I knew I wasn't really that good. But as suddenly as that came on, it went away just as quickly. I remember thinking "how can I capture this so that I can play this well all the time?".

ervinsm84
02-15-2012, 08:14 AM
obv it being NY plays a role, but comparing it to Jennings is kinda apples to oranges, given that Jennings was one of the top high school players in the country before going overseas for a year instead of college, then was a top 10 pick. Lin was undrafted, had 0 full ride major D-1 athletic scholarships coming out of high school (Iveys dont offer athletic scholarships, Stanford offered to let him walk on and have a chance at one in his 2nd year), cut by two teams, and the knicks were close to being the third team to cut him before they decided to give him a shot.

Most amazing thing about him to me though, is if he ever figures out a way to cut down on the turnovers, which I dont think is that unlikely at all given how little practice/playing time he's had with his teammates so far (and its only his 2nd year in the league), he could conceivably be a lot better.

Stray
02-15-2012, 08:23 AM
This is just what the NBA needed. The lockout, the injuries, the general bad play...and more importantly, exactly what the New York Knicks needed.

I think it'll level off or come back to Earth at some point, not because I don't think he's a really good player with a bright future, but how in the world could anyone continue to live up to this hype night after night? He keeps raising the bar and we're only 6 games into this thing. Either way, it's a great story.

NJReds
02-15-2012, 09:05 AM
Amazing finish. This is a game that the Knicks ... even the new Amare/Melo Knicks ... would've lost. A couple of things that are evident about Lin that go beyond his playing skills are that he has a short memory and doesn't let mistakes get in his head, and an intense focus/killer instinct/winning mentality ... whatever you want to call it. His fourth quarter play is amazing.

Shumpert really saved the Knicks last night, because Calderon was torching Lin. Shumpert came in and shut down Calderon, and the steal/dunk set up Lin's heroics.

Thinking about the hype. Lin-sanity is similar to Tebow-mania, but I think that has more to do with social media and the ESPN hype machine. Lin is actually closer to Kurt Warner if you want to compare an NBA story to an NFL story.

What's going unnoticed while the Knicks are winning close, sloppily played games against lower level teams (except for the Laker win) is that the Heat are just steamrolling through their schedule. They have to love Lin-sanity, because it's taken the focus off of their team. But the Heat look unstoppable right now.

texasdave
02-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Most amazing thing about him to me though, is if he ever figures out a way to cut down on the turnovers, which I dont think is that unlikely at all given how little practice/playing time he's had with his teammates so far (and its only his 2nd year in the league), he could conceivably be a lot better.

Maybe he is more suited to being a shooting guard. In college he had 406 assists and 331 turnovers. Not a great ratio. But, to be honest, I have no idea how college stats translate into NBA stats.

NJReds
02-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Maybe he is more suited to being a shooting guard. In college he had 406 assists and 331 turnovers. Not a great ratio. But, to be honest, I have no idea how college stats translate into NBA stats.

I think the game will slow down for Lin as he gets more experience, and I think as the league adjusts to him he will make adjustments to the defenses being thrown at him. Most important is developing chemistry with Amare and Melo. I think he'll be able to cut down on the turnovers.

Stray
02-15-2012, 08:41 PM
He's working on another gem. 9 assists and 1 TO in the first half tonight.

ervinsm84
02-15-2012, 08:42 PM
9 assists, 1 turnover, 2 rebds and 6 points on 4 shots in just the first half albeit against the awful Kings.

#Linsanity

jmac
02-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Did he basically just set in second half for rest ? I have only seen boxscore and not a report.

NJReds
02-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Did he basically just set in second half for rest ? I have only seen boxscore and not a report.

10 points, 13 assists ... Sat out a good portion of the fourth quarter as it was a blowout and he played 43 minutes last night.

jmac
02-15-2012, 10:11 PM
10 points, 13 assists ... Sat out a good portion of the fourth quarter as it was a blowout and he played 43 minutes last night.

Thanks. ;)

NJReds
02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
Lin has had a few very good games, and the fans at MSG are going nuts for the kid, chanting MVP.

Imagine how huge LeBron would've been had he chosen the Knicks. He'd own NY.

At least he doesn't have to pay income tax in Florida while he plays in front of less than capacity crowds. Although it does look like he'll get his championship this year.

Mutaman
02-17-2012, 04:33 AM
At least he doesn't have to pay income tax in Florida while he plays in front of less than capacity crowds. Although it does look like he'll get his championship this year.

What has James done this year to show that he won't choke again? As I recall, he spent most of the 2011 finals running away from the ball.

gonelong
02-17-2012, 08:32 AM
What has James done this year to show that he won't choke again? As I recall, he spent most of the 2011 finals running away from the ball.

Nobody is good enough to win "The Big One" ... until they do.

dabvu2498
02-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Lin is playing in the Rising Stars Challenge game on All Star weekend. I bet the ratings are almost as good for that game as they will be for the All Star game.

NJReds
02-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Lin is playing in the Rising Stars Challenge game on All Star weekend. I bet the ratings are almost as good for that game as they will be for the All Star game.

The NBA quickly got him involved in the weekend's events. I'm really amazed at how this has taken off.

Funny line from a column on Grantland:

In other Lin news, the NBA added him to the roster for the Rising Stars Challenge, which features the best rookie and second-year players in the league. Shaq and Charles Barkley were in charge of drafting the teams, and Lin was picked third, behind Blake Griffin and Kyrie Irving. Or, as they'll be known from now on, Hakeem Olajuwon and Sam Bowie.

Puffy
02-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Lin has had a few very good games, and the fans at MSG are going nuts for the kid, chanting MVP.

Imagine how huge LeBron would've been had he chosen the Knicks. He'd own NY.

You must of read the Sports Guy's mailbag.......

Puffy
02-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Melo expected back either tonight or Sunday. JR Smith signed today. Baron Davis back probably by March 10th.

Lin, Smith, Melo, Amare, and Chandler w/ Novak, Fields, Shumpert and Davis off bench. Knicks have gotten dangerous. A lot of Ifs, but if they come together they could put scare in either Heat or Bulls.

NJReds
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
You must of read the Sports Guy's mailbag.......

I did. But I was thinking about it while watching the garden erupt the other night before I read that particular column. It's not a secret that Miami is a subpar town in terms of sports fans.

NJReds
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Melo expected back either tonight or Sunday. JR Smith signed today. Baron Davis back probably by March 10th.

Lin, Smith, Melo, Amare, and Chandler w/ Novak, Fields, Shumpert and Davis off bench. Knicks have gotten dangerous. A lot of Ifs, but if they come together they could put scare in either Heat or Bulls.

Heard on FAN that Melo will not be back tonight. JR will be with the team, but won't suit up until Sunday's game w/the Mavs.

Newport Red
02-17-2012, 12:44 PM
IMO, baseball had something much bigger than Linsanity back in the 70s. And half the Linsanity pub is due to it being the New York market. Think 70s baseball for a minute. See if you can come up with it.

Fred Lynn was a big deal in '75. ROY, MVP

powersackers
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I haven't watched the NBA in 15 years. Now I am reading about it everyday and if the Knicks are on TV I want to watch it. I need some kind of alert to let me know when they are on.

NJReds
02-17-2012, 08:38 PM
2 points, 5 TOs ... Knicks down 10 to the Hornets in the first.

Stray
02-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Played great against the mavericks...a lot of fun to watch.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk

Mutaman
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Steve Novak was on the Dwayne Wade Marquette team that knocked off #1 Kentucky in the 2003 elite 8. In Marquette's first Big East game ever. Novak had 41 points and 16 rebounds in the Warriors upset of #2 Connecticut in 2005.

WVPacman
02-20-2012, 12:34 AM
Im a huge Knicks fan and im really proud of this kid and rooting him on b/c he was a nobody.This is a true feel good story and he deserves all the love and credit he gets.He is so humble and a gracious kid.During this whole time he has never wanted any credit and he never wants anybody say he was the reason they won.He always says it isn't all about me its about my teamates too. When they lost the other night he looked right at the camra and said "Well I got all the praise during last week so I deserve to be blamed for thie performance that I had in this game" In other words he said he lost the game for them and we all know he did'nt BUT that just shows just how humble this kid is. Great for him and I wish nothing but the best for the kid.

RiverRat13
02-21-2012, 08:18 AM
I hope this isn't off-topic, but the SNL opening skit about Lin was spot on.

Stray
02-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Gotta think tonight's game is going to have some insane ratings.

Ohayou
02-23-2012, 02:10 PM
The average resale ticket price to tonight's game is $510. :eek:

NJReds
02-23-2012, 02:23 PM
It will be interesting to see how Lin and the Knicks handle tonight's game. The Heat have been destroying opponents lately, without any extra added incentive. Tonight they are gunning for Lin. It's become a statement game for them.

texasdave
02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
It will be interesting to see how Lin and the Knicks handle tonight's game. The Heat have been destroying opponents lately, without any extra added incentive. Tonight they are gunning for Lin. It's become a statement game for them.

Through one half, Jeremy Lin is proving to be human after all. 1 for 5 for 2 points. 2 assists, 6 turnovers.

NJReds
02-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Through one half, Jeremy Lin is proving to be human after all. 1 for 5 for 2 points. 2 assists, 6 turnovers.

They're doubling him with two HOF players ... Not surprised at this outcome. The Heat are better than the Knicks, but they get a lot of leeway to play agressive defense with their hands. This game should be closer.

Melo and Amare not exactly picking up the slack.