PDA

View Full Version : so what are your thoughts on A.J. Burnett and the Pirates?

GADawg
02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
seems like some strange bed fellows....I can't help but get the feeling that Burnett will come back to life with a change of scenery...especially to scenery that pretty much stays off the radar

savafan
02-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Did the trade go down? I had heard there were talks, but not that anything had been finalized.

JaxRed
02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
As I said in other thread...."Pirates are crazy to do a deal like this. Why pay $3.33 million per year for 3 years on a 35 year old pitcher with an ERA over 5 the last 2 seasons? "

and give up a prospect....

marcshoe
02-11-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry, but I no longer think Huntington is even trying. This is the last thing a team like Pittsburgh should be doing, and it's reminiscent of some of the Reds' moves from past years.

mth123
02-11-2012, 12:27 AM
As I said in other thread...."Pirates are crazy to do a deal like this. Why pay $3.33 million per year for 3 years on a 35 year old pitcher with an ERA over 5 the last 2 seasons? "

I think this is a gamble that Burnett will regain some of his former form with a move from the AL East, the DH and the spotlight of NY. If he does, they'll have a him for cheap and can flip him for a real prospect instead of the journeyman that they'd be dealing now.

With the new rules prohibiting signing guys in the manner tha the Reds did with Chapman, and the expensive nature of making a qualifying offer to receive draft pick compensation for free agents, dealing vets for kids is going to be the only way to accelerate a rebuild. If Garrett Jones can be converted to Burnett who can then be flipped for a future big leaguer with 6 years of control, that's better than they could get for Jones directly and the $3.33 Million per year isn't much more than they'd be paying Jones.

Vottomatic
02-11-2012, 03:09 AM
The Pirates have been strange lately. It's almost like they're trying, but they're making the wrong moves.

Tom Servo
02-11-2012, 03:43 AM

Can't turn out any worse than the Matt Morris trade did.

MikeThierry
02-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Matt Morris was a stud back in the day. He just hit a wall in his career for some reason.

Spitball
02-11-2012, 03:13 PM

Remember when GM Cam Bonifay signed Derek Bell to a two-year contract worth $10 in 2000? Imho, it was one of the worst transactions ever.

The Operator
02-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Remember when GM Cam Bonifay signed Derek Bell to a two-year contract worth $10 in 2000? Imho, it was one of the worst transactions ever.That reminds me of an old article on The Spitter (I really miss that site, incidentally) where Derek Bell had accepted a new position as a cashier at a convenience store. Good stuff.

PuffyPig
02-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Remember when GM Cam Bonifay signed Derek Bell to a two-year contract worth $10 in 2000? Imho, it was one of the worst transactions ever.

Excerpt From FoxSports:

"In December, 2000, then GM Cam Bonifay signed OF Derek Bell to a 2-year, $9.75MM contract, which quickly became his most harshly-panned free agent acquisition. Even before Bell’s infamous “operation shutdown” comments that spring- and even before he OPS’d .576 (.176 BA) in only 46 games before being released- knowledgable fans knew the move locked up an unproductive, past-his-prime veteran to an exhorbent sum of money…despite no actual interest from other teams. Bonifay was rightfully fired at the end of the 2001 season, with the Bell signing one of the biggest nails in his coffin."

IIRC, Binifay claimed that the signing sent "shock waves through baseball", and this was the same offseason Pay-Rod signed his $250M contract.

PuffyPig
02-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Matt Morris was a stud back in the day. He just hit a wall in his career for some reason.

But Pittsburgh took him at the end of his career when owed huge money. He was done and still owed half of his $27M at the time of the trade.

camisadelgolf
02-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Crack might be to blame for that. Pittsburgh loathed him after he said this a couple weeks before his release:

"Nobody told me I was in competition. If there is competition, somebody better let me know. If there is competition, they better eliminate me out of the race and go ahead and do what they're going to do with me. I ain't never hit in spring training and I never will. If it ain't settled with me out there, then they can trade me. I ain't going out there to hurt myself in spring training battling for a job. If it is [a competition], then I'm going into 'Operation Shutdown.' Tell them exactly what I said. I haven't competed for a job since 1991."
But that's not why I remember Bell so well. It's because of the prank that was pulled on him back when he was a rookie. Forgive the audio.
giveaway.wmv - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGVE7f0ouC8)

Spitball
02-11-2012, 04:42 PM
That is hilarious, Cam.