PDA

View Full Version : Oakland to sign Cespedes

cinreds21
02-13-2012, 01:17 PM
This is extremely unexpected. I am in shock.

Buster Olney @Buster_ESPN

Sources: Oakland has agreed to terms with Yoenis Cespedes, 4 years, $36 million.

cinreds21
02-13-2012, 01:21 PM
Do note that deal is larger than Chapman's.

klw
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Mystery team hadn't even gotten involved yet. Very surprised.

oneupper
02-13-2012, 01:22 PM
A's put some money into that OF with Crisp and Cespedes.

cinreds21
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Marlins repordidly offered $36 over six years.

MikeThierry
02-13-2012, 01:55 PM
What a horrible move on Cespedes part. If he wanted to show off his hitting abilities, Oakland is not a place to do it.

Benihana
02-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Good, now maybe the Reds can sign Jorge Soler, who is the guy I wanted all along (and is more of a 2014 guy than a 2012 guy). Especially if the Cubs are, as reported, the current leading contender for his services.

And Oakland doesn't shock me. They were in big on Aroldis and signed Michael Ynoa to a then-record deal. Hopefully for them Cespedes works out better than Ynoa has so far. Miami has been getting the snub ever since they signed Bell.

MartyFan
02-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Wonder how much the Marlins knew they were NOT going to land Cespedes before Ozzie made his remarks about him being a big risk and so on? I thought at the time I read the remarks that the Marlins were either already out or looking to throw some sour grapes at the deal to ward off other suitors.

TRF
02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Brilliant move by Cespedes. Oakland is going to move to a new park, i bet within 2 years. It'll be smaller, he'll have almost no one blocking him to a fulltime gig, and even if the A's don't move, he's a starter within a year, because in that org., talent trumps contracts.

Genius move on Beane's part.

REDREAD
02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Not really sure it was a wise move for the A's to do a big salary dump and then spend 9 million/year on Cespedes.. If he makes the club and contributes, he's just going to be traded for more prospects in 2 years.. If he doesn't contribute, it's a lot of money gone.

Seems like a questionable and risky allocation of money on their part.

RedsManRick
02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
This time next year, he'll be one heck of a trade asset.

Vottomatic
02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Sounds like there wasn't that much interest in Cespedes.

I think Cespedes made a mistake signing with the A's to play in that park. It will diminish his numbers, if he's any good.

I also think it is one of those investments that Beane hopes to cash in on in trade eventually. They have no real interest in Cespedes. They never do in their players.

Kinda sad.

paulrichjr
02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Brilliant move by Cespedes. Oakland is going to move to a new park, i bet within 2 years. It'll be smaller, he'll have almost no one blocking him to a fulltime gig, and even if the A's don't move, he's a starter within a year, because in that org., talent trumps contracts.

2 years moving into a new park? Where? Does San Jose already have one?

RedlegJake
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm not surprised - I had already noted the fact that Cespedes observers had mentioned he wasn't that interested in Miami for some reason. I don't remember where exactly I read that but I remember reading it earlier this winter that despite the large Cuban community Cespedes was not enamored of the city and did not expect to sign in Miami. Oakland has been in on several big name latin players so this doesn't really surprise me. Soler will go to the Cubs. I didn't expect the Reds to be players in either case - one Chapman a decade unfortunately.

TRF
02-13-2012, 06:06 PM
2 years moving into a new park? Where? Does San Jose already have one?

I'm thinking it'll get fast tracked, and be built within 18-24 months of their being approved to move to San Jose. I also bet they get that approval this year.

hebroncougar
02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
I heard the A's gave up the right to offer arbitration after 4 years are up. If I were an owner or GM of another club, I'd be furious at that. I didn't know you could "give up" something that had been collectively bargained for.

REDREAD
02-13-2012, 06:34 PM
This time next year, he'll be one heck of a trade asset.

Perhaps.. but if they trade him after only 1 year, their crediblity with signing foreign FAs will be damaged. It seems like an expensive way to acquire prospects too.

On the other hand, considering what they are paying Crisp, it doesn't seem that bad.

It just seems that the A's let themselves get into a position where they had no OF and thus were forced to throw money at Crisp and Cespedes.
I can understand why they need to overpay, since Oakland has probably got to be one of the least attractive teams to sign with now... If you are a young, good player, you will be shipped out to a random team within 2-3 years.
If you are not attractive on the trade market, you are stuck on a bad team that sells no tickets until your contract runs out.

camisadelgolf
02-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Cespedes has incredible upside, but based on what I've seen, he still has some adjustments he needs to make in order to cut it as an everyday Major Leaguer. I'd love to have him in my organization, but unless I'm in a major market, $36M is just too rich for my blood. It will be very interesting to see how he does.

Reds/Flyers Fan
02-13-2012, 07:27 PM

They better get going on building one then. You can't throw up a ballpark overnight. And from all indications they don't even have approval to move to San Jose, let alone having started the site acquisition process, financing, etc.

They're further away than 2 years from playing a game in a new park.

IslandRed
02-13-2012, 09:17 PM
I heard the A's gave up the right to offer arbitration after 4 years are up. If I were an owner or GM of another club, I'd be furious at that. I didn't know you could "give up" something that had been collectively bargained for.

I guess the A's argument is that they have the right to control Cespedes for six years, but they can choose not to. But yes, I imagine other clubs will be looking to see if this sets a precedent others (*cough* Boras *cough*) can exploit.

In this specific case, it's probably not a big deal because Cespedes is already 26 years old and is closer in principle to a free-agent signing than an amateur draftee.

blumj
02-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I guess the A's argument is that they have the right to control Cespedes for six years, but they can choose not to. But yes, I imagine other clubs will be looking to see if this sets a precedent others (*cough* Boras *cough*) can exploit.

In this specific case, it's probably not a big deal because Cespedes is already 26 years old and is closer in principle to a free-agent signing than an amateur draftee.
Hideki Matsui's first Yankees contract was similar, they had to sign him to an extension after either 3 or 4 years or he would have reached free agency with less than 6 years of service time, too.

Wait, Kuroda, too, right?

TRF
02-14-2012, 10:24 AM
They better get going on building one then. You can't throw up a ballpark overnight. And from all indications they don't even have approval to move to San Jose, let alone having started the site acquisition process, financing, etc.

They're further away than 2 years from playing a game in a new park.

I think it'll be two years from the date it is approved, and I think the Giants will concede the San Jose territory to the A's. It might be better for Cespedes for that park to appear in the final year of his contract. New stadium money, and a crop of young players joining him means more money freed for his contract.

Benihana
02-14-2012, 06:06 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but is it worth revisiting the idea of Seth Smith?

Players don't usually get flipped in the same offseason, but if there is a GM to do it, Billy Beane is the guy. A's have Crisp and Reddick to start in the other two OF spots alongside Cespedes, if he can prove he should start in ST.

This might be something to keep an eye on...

Edd Roush
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but is it worth revisiting the idea of Seth Smith?

Players don't usually get flipped in the same offseason, but if there is a GM to do it, Billy Beane is the guy. A's have Crisp and Reddick to start in the other two OF spots alongside Cespedes, if he can prove he should start in ST.

I am under the impression that Cespedes will at least start 2012 in the minor leagues. I guess if he has a phenomenal spring, he could start in the bigs, but I would be surprised if Cespedes broke camp with the A's.

mth123
02-14-2012, 08:20 PM

Seth Smith and Jonny Gomes might end-up being the most productive DH in the AL if they are platooned properly. It just depends on whether the A's want to open a spot for one of their linebackers like Brandon Allen (6-2, 235), Kila Ka'aihue (6-4, 235) Chris Carter (6-4, 245) or Michael Taylor (6-5, 255).

redsmetz
02-15-2012, 05:58 AM
The Times' baseball blog weighs in on the signing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/14/sports/baseball/yoenis-cespedes-deal-by-oakland-athletics-is-shift-from-moneyball.html

REDREAD
02-15-2012, 12:06 PM
The Times' baseball blog weighs in on the signing:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/14/sports/baseball/yoenis-cespedes-deal-by-oakland-athletics-is-shift-from-moneyball.html

Interesting article..
Quote by Beane:

“Sometimes, you’re relegated to buying that lottery ticket,” he said. “Anybody will tell you that the lottery is not a great way to invest your money.”

Doesn't really sound like much of a plan though.. I was kind of surprised to see Beane make a comment like that.
Although that attitude kind of explains his recent behavior of trading anyone with any value, despite having affordable control of them.

TRF
02-15-2012, 12:17 PM
meh. the lottery ticket quote will be overblown. the only thing Oakland did different than SD was Cespedes, and that was a pretty decent gamble IMO. I'm very interested in seeing how Ynoa does this year. He'll be about 16 months removed from surgery, which is an excellent time frame for a now 20 year old. SD and OAK had to go this route. The needed both quantity and quality and at the end of the day, both organizations improved for the long haul.

Benihana
02-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Still, when Cespedes hits the big leagues and Oakland is 15 games back by Memorial Day, Smith may become available again.

If Stubbs and/or Ludwick start 2012 in their 2011 form, and/or the Reds demonstrate their problems hitting against RHP, it may be time to revisit the idea of Seth Smith.

EDIT: In fact here are two more nuggets from MLBTR which make it seem even more likely Smith will be available by early summer if not sooner:

The A's are likely to sign Manny Ramirez just before or soon after the start of spring training," writes Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. Pitchers and catchers are due to report Saturday, while the full squad reports February 24th. Manny, of course, has a reputation of arriving late to spring training. Ramirez would serve as designated hitter for the A's, but he'd first need to serve a 50-game PED suspension.
Despite the Cespedes signing, Coco Crisp still feels he's Oakland's best center field option. Crisp told Slusser, "Unless he's a demigod come down from the heavens, no one is going to outshine me in center field." Crisp noted that a center field job was one of the reasons he chose the A's over the Rays, but concluded, "I'm excited to play alongside Cespedes - no matter what side that may be."

_Sir_Charles_
02-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Wow. It's a shame Coco isn't arrogant or anything. Sheesh!

mth123
03-10-2012, 05:28 PM
In his first game today, against the Reds, Cespedes walked, singled and Homered so far.

corkedbat
03-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Wasn't sure if Cespedes was (is) ready to start the season on the 25-man, but I really wanted the Reds to land him for the future.