PDA

View Full Version : The Payphone Stadium Project

westofyou
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=16022

The point is that in 1990 it was impossible for someone to know what exactly was happening in a live game if they weren't living in radio- or television-broadcast range of the game, and the world was a worse-place for it.

So long ago, yet a reality we struggled with all over.

Kids today?

They can't even comprehend it

Ghosts of 1990
02-14-2012, 10:41 AM
I really miss 90's baseball.... the innocence.

02-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Somewhat off topic, but I remember waiting on Hot Stove league to come on WLW to catch up with any baseball news in the winter.

redsmetz
02-14-2012, 11:48 AM
I remember the times when I would call the Post's sports desk to get West Coast scores since they wouldn't be in the paper in the morning.

redsmetz
02-14-2012, 11:51 AM
You know, I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but I think there are some payphones at GABP, as unusual as that sounds. I'll have to look this season.

dabvu2498
02-14-2012, 12:00 PM
You know, I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but I think there are some payphones at GABP, as unusual as that sounds. I'll have to look this season.

I think you're right, but I can't imagine any of them would have a view of the scoreboard.

RedFanAlways1966
02-14-2012, 01:39 PM

That would be unusual. I was a little late on the whole cell phone thing and I remember once trying to find a payphone while driving in the Univ. of Dayton area. No luck on finding a payphone (and this was 3 yrs ago). If ever putting together one of those "scavenger hunt" things for a group party or corporate thing, put payphone on there lol!

02-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Off topic.

Bill Kardong wrote a book (30 Phone Booths to Boston I think) about his media coverage of the Boston Marathon along with other stories . He found 30 phone booths along the Boston Marathon route and called them about when he thought the leaders would be passing. I think he called from a hotel room. he would ask whoever answered about what was happening with the race

Always Red
02-14-2012, 02:53 PM
I still have huge books of baseball statistics, from long ago, on my book shelf at home.

I used to refer to them constantly, but haven't looked at them in years, all the info (and more) is available on line, at anytime, for free.

I get more nostalgic in my older years, so I think I'll hang on to them for a bit.

redsmetz
02-14-2012, 02:58 PM
I still have huge books of baseball statistics, from long ago, on my book shelf at home.

I used to refer to them constantly, but haven't looked at them in years, all the info (and more) is available on line, at anytime, for free.

I get more nostalgic in my older years, so I think I'll hang on to them for a bit.

I used to spend $10,000 to $15,000 a year subscribing to the freight rate tariffs for trucking companies to audit freight bills for shippers/receivers. Today, it's all on computers and I can check online or load them on my computer. When I need to look at the pricing rules books, they're usually online. I used to have shelves & shelves of them in my "tariff library". I paid someone just to file them for me.

Eric_the_Red
02-14-2012, 03:26 PM
Fantasy sports were quite different in those years as well. There was nothing I simultaneously loved and hated as much as compiling baseball stats for 10 teams each week and adding them by hand.

Ghosts of 1990
02-14-2012, 03:27 PM
I remember missing box scores, my parents didn't get the paper except on weekends; so if my grandma didn't save the daily sports page, I would have to catch up on what Eric Davis and Barry Larkin did in a two week old edition of Baseball Weekly.

And somehow I really miss that.

Johnny Footstool
02-14-2012, 03:32 PM
Even if there were pay phones in stadiums, this project wouldn't work today. People would never answer a ringing pay phone. They'd be too afraid it was a terrorist or child molester or something awful like that trying to creep out of the receiver and into their ear.

RichRed
02-14-2012, 03:42 PM
Fantasy sports were quite different in those years as well. There was nothing I simultaneously loved and hated as much as compiling baseball stats for 10 teams each week and adding them by hand.

I was just talking about this the other day. I'd get the Tuesday edition (or whichever day it was) of USA Today with the up-to-date NL stats, so I could hand write the weekly update for our fantasy teams, complete with "hilarious" commentary by yours truly. Then I'd make Xerox copies at the local library and send them out by mail. By the time everyone received his update, I was probably already working on the next one.

westofyou
02-14-2012, 05:08 PM
We used to call the sports departments in neighboring cities to get scores, box scores were all ingested in the weekly TSN, hours were spent in the car in the driveway slowly scanning the dial, looking for that game feed from elsewhere, looking for the scores... Looking for that baseball fix

George Anderson
02-14-2012, 05:15 PM
I used to gamble on sports. I was very bad at it btw but I used to call the local newspaper that had a hotline setup for people wanting scores of games. The guy got to know me on a first name basis.

I bet he wondered just why the hell a guy in Indiana would want a score for a Montana State/North Dakota basketball game.

I(heart)Freel
02-14-2012, 05:26 PM
I remember the times when I would call the Post's sports desk to get West Coast scores since they wouldn't be in the paper in the morning.

Lord I miss The Post.