PDA

View Full Version : MLB's Greatest Game-Game Six 1975 World Series

RedsBaron
02-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Maybe I overlooked it but I couldn't find a thread about MLB's telecast regarding Game Six of the 1975 World Series. It is on right now, telecast from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Commentary by Johnny Bench and Fred Lynn, hosted by Bob Costas. Terrific telecast. I especially enjoy Lynn's comments.

redsmetz
02-20-2012, 01:45 PM
My son just texted me that he DVR'd the game. I told him it truly was epic, a back & forth game. I said (and I think this is true), Sparky was chasing his ghosts in this one, having lost the Series in 1970 & 1972, the playoffs in 1973 - he feared being left with a legacy of never winning it all. He desperately wanted to win that game, not take it to Game 7. There were eight pitchers in that game for the Reds, all but one put in in regulation. I always tell my kids this, I watched that game in the house down at the corner of the street I live on now, the street that they grew up and that was about 2 1/2 years before I moved onto this street. I'll always remember that game.

Roy Tucker
02-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it was a nail-biter. I was at a Mexican dinner party watching the ballgame with the future ex-Mrs. Tucker and we drank tequila and beer and tear-your-head-off spicy hot food and other festivities and were all wooooooo!!!!! when the Reds went up 6-3 in the top of the 8th and started celebrating.

But when Carbo hit his 8th inning HR, you could have heard a pin drop (little did I know that Carbo was in a similar mind-altered state that I was). The rest of the game was a roller coaster but I knew we were toast when Pat Darcy came in to pitch.

When I woke up the next day with tequila hangover, I was hoping that I had hallucinated the whole thing, but the sports page proved me wrong.

Johnny Footstool
02-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Is it only two hours long? I could have sworn it was 3 hours. Johnny Bench won't shut up, and he won't let anyone else have the last word on anything. He's clever and funny, but pretty overbearing.

George Anderson
02-20-2012, 04:02 PM
Is it only two hours long? I could have sworn it was 3 hours. Johnny Bench won't shut up, and he won't let anyone else have the last word on anything. He's clever and funny, but pretty overbearing.

He was annoying to say the least.

RedsBaron
02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
My son just texted me that he DVR'd the game. I told him it truly was epic, a back & forth game. I said (and I think this is true), Sparky was chasing his ghosts in this one, having lost the Series in 1970 & 1972, the playoffs in 1973 - he feared being left with a legacy of never winning it all. He desperately wanted to win that game, not take it to Game 7. There were eight pitchers in that game for the Reds, all but one put in in regulation. I always tell my kids this, I watched that game in the house down at the corner of the street I live on now, the street that they grew up and that was about 2 1/2 years before I moved onto this street. I'll always remember that game.

Bench talked several times during the show about how desperate Sparky was to win in 1975 after the previous postseason disapppointments.
Bench also talked about how the Reds only had ten pitchers on their postseason roster, eight of whom pitched in game six.
As far as the two pitchers on the roster who didn't appear in game six, Don Gullett was being held back to start game seven. As for the tenth pitcher, he was Clay Kirby but Bench said that Kirby's arm was "broken" and he couldn't pitch. Sure enough, Kirby didn't pitch at all in the Series, which made me wonder why he was even on the postseason roster.
When I checked Baseball-Reference.com I discovered that the 1975 Reds only had 12 pitchers who appeared in any games that season. Tom Hall had returned to the Reds briefly in 1975 but apparently was traded away before the end of the season. Tom Carroll had also appeared in several games for the Reds but had not pitched very well, and I believe 1975 was his last year in the majors. Rather than carry Tom Carroll on the roster or give a place on the postseason pitching staff to someone who had not pitched an inning in the majors that season the Reds seem to have opted to include Kirby on the roster even though he couldn't pitch! I didn't know this.

RedsBaron
02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
The rest of the game was a roller coaster but I knew we were toast when Pat Darcy came in to pitch.

I've seen Bench in other interviews say that before Darcy threw a pitch in the top of the 12th Bench looked at the Reds dugout and mouthed "no chance," in that he knew Darcy had nothing.
Bench didn't tell that story last night, perhaps because Darcy was present when the 12th inning was being reviewed.
I never thought Darcy was very good, but when I reviewed the boxscore I found that he had shut out Boston in the 10th and 11th, so he wasn't a total waste that night. Had Dwight Evans not made his terrific grab of Joe Morgan's liner then Darcy may have wound up the winning pitcher.

RedsBaron
02-20-2012, 04:13 PM

Yes, Fred Lynn came across as a much more likable guy than did Bench.

Sea Ray
02-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Interesting how back then we didn't need as many pitchers as Dusty does now. Even though Sparky was Capn Hook he generally only needed about 9 or 10 pitchers, rarely bumping it up to 11

Johnny Footstool
02-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Yes, Fred Lynn came across as a much more likable guy than did Bench.

I love listening to Bench talk and be interviewed, but when he's involved in a group conversation, he does whatever he can to make himself the focus of all the attention.

redsmetz
02-20-2012, 05:13 PM
Interesting how back then we didn't need as many pitchers as Dusty does now. Even though Sparky was Capn Hook he generally only needed about 9 or 10 pitchers, rarely bumping it up to 11

Of course, it's not exclusive to Dusty. It speaks to how much the use of pitchers has changed over the last quarter century or so. More specialization. Looking over the '75 team's stats, we had 22 complete games, now it's a rarity. A number of our starters also had some relief stints. Oddly Clay Carrol had two starts that season (he had 15 starts total for the Reds in his 8 years with the team). The two starts were in June & he went six innings in the one and Fred Norman got the win in extra innings in relief (the box score must have looked upside down that day!) and then a week later, he started another game, went three innings and was relieved by Norman.

Plus, relievers often went longer. I didn't go over it, but I'm sure Eastwick and McEnaney both had many appearances where they pitched multiple innings. Pedro Borbon was an absolute workhorse, too. It really has changed all over the place.

reds1869
02-20-2012, 05:22 PM
I enjoyed the broadcast (and the rest of the 20 Greatest Games series). What an amazing game. The others are right about Bench being overbearing, though.

Sea Ray
02-20-2012, 06:39 PM
In fairness, I'd have to admit that last year's game 6 in the World Series trumped this one. I think we (Reds) have to take a back seat to that

RedsBaron
02-21-2012, 07:47 AM
In fairness, I'd have to admit that last year's game 6 in the World Series trumped this one. I think we (Reds) have to take a back seat to that

You may be right. My Reds bias affects my judgment, I realize that.
There are a couple of differences in 1975's game six, and the entire '75 Series, as compared to last year's World Series. When I think of 1975's game six I first think of Fisk's homer off the foul pole, and then Evans's great catch, and Carbo's HR, and Foster and Bench's great play to get Doyle out with the bases loaded, just one great play after another. When I think of 2011's game six the first thing I think of is Nelson Cruz playing the most inept outfield since Alex Johnson; if he makes a catch a high school kid should make, the Rangers win.
The other difference is, for lack of a better term, the glamour factor. The 2011 Series did have Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton, but beyond that the players were largely unknown.
Contrast that with the cast of 1975. In Rose, Bench and Morgan the Reds featured the top three players in Win Shares for the decade, and they were all extremely quotable and well known. Sparky Anderson was probably the most quotable manager since Casey Stengel. Tony Perez played Babe Ruth in the Series--that is five* Hall of Famers right there. The Reds supporting cast included the game's best shortstop (Concepcion), two up and coming stars (Foster and Griffey), and a pitcher Sparky kept saying was HOF bound (Gullett).
The Red Sox countered with three Hall of Famers in Yaz, Fisk and the injured Jim Rice. Ever since his Impossible Dream season in 1967 Yaz had been one of the game's biggest stars. Boston also had Luis Tiant, whose personality and quirks on the mound were irrisistible (Tiant should be in the HOF). The Red Sox had Fred Lynn, who seemed to be Frank Merriwell come to life, the first ever rookie MVP.

cumberlandreds
02-21-2012, 09:06 AM

Last years game six had a bunch of errors during the game. Overall it wasn't that well played. Exciting and memorable, yes. But a well played game, not so much. Game six of the 75 Series was much better played game and had as much excitment.
I watched this when MLB Network originally aired it. I really liked Darcy's segment and Carbo's too. I kept waiting on Bench to tell his story about Darcy not having anything in the 12th. I guess you have to give him credit for not rubbing Darcy's nose in it. Bench did talk too much but I still liked his commentary along with Lynn's.